Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 71 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

Rob,  pixie

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pixie:  1 min ago
 Rob:  4 mins ago
 t0lkien:  5 mins ago
 amigakit:  17 mins ago
 mariakenneth:  25 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  31 mins ago
 Matt3k:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 Frank:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 53 mins ago
 Gunnar:  2 hrs 3 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  Would you support a company that decided to support Amiga?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 Next Page )
PosterThread
michalsc 
Re: Would you support a company that decided to support Amiga?
Posted on 24-Jul-2012 10:59:39
#581 ]
AROS Core Developer

@Cod3r

Quote:
You just aren't getting it... 400mhz CAN do codecs, man. You just have not done your homework. Plenty of examples exist in the real world and in the not so distant past. Even Windows systems with 400mhz dog slow Celerons back on Windows Me did compressed video! You must be too busy living in your bubble to realize that.

And You must be so overexcited about yourself, that you seem to not read what other people are trying to tell you.

Not a single person says here that 400MHz CPU cannot encode or decode videos (maybe even those with 720p size). What all people are trying to tell you is, such 400MHz CPU can not encode or decode in real time videos compressed with codecs like WebM or h264, which we all use nowadays. Got it? :)

I remember I was watching some MPEG-4 movies on 350MHz machine long time ago, but the very first thing I had to do was to re-encode them in lower resolution, as the machine was not able to play MPEG-4 stream in 720x576 size.

Profile     Report this post  
utri007 
Posted on 24-Jul-2012 11:28:39
#582 ]

@michalsc

400mhz machine can't decode video on the fly or at least it need help fron GPU.

I had a 466mhz celeron wich I used to watc DVDs, it was possible because it had a ATI graphics card wich had a video codec.

I've Asus EEEKeyboard, it is 1,2 mhz dual atom cpu, it has problems with video, because it video codec isn't supported generally.

Last edited by utri007 on 24-Jul-2012 at 11:29 AM.

olegil 
Posted on 24-Jul-2012 11:29:17
#583 ]
Elite Member

@Cod3r

Put up, or shut up. I'm getting mighty tired of your snide remarks at our intelligence levels here.

Show us an implementation of a mainstream CPU running at 400MHz that will happily decode a video using h.264 in HD (720p or better) realtime. Or alternatively, accept that you are not talking about currently used codecs. Or just bugger off.

Thank you in advance.

Yes, I can probably also find a codec for MY encodings that I could later use on MY decoding hardware at 400MHz but how the FOUR LETTER WORD does that help with browsing youtube?

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

olegil 
Posted on 24-Jul-2012 11:33:21
#584 ]
Elite Member

@g_kraszewski

I think Cod3r is a troll. He's simply trying to rile up feelings and is alternatively pissing off each camp here.

Anyone here he hasn't called dumb yet? Don't worry, your time will come.

There's just no end to the bold statements and the snide remarks. Noone in their right mind would try to build a business foundation that way.

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

OlafS25 
Posted on 24-Jul-2012 11:33:59
#585 ]
Elite Member

@olegil

"shut up" are not phrases we should use in discussion, should we?

Thank you in advance.

olegil 
Posted on 24-Jul-2012 11:34:17
#586 ]
Elite Member

@utri007

Bah, don't bother. He'll just ignore half of what you wrote, quote you out of context and call you a moron.

Last edited by olegil on 24-Jul-2012 at 11:34 AM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 24-Jul-2012 11:35:16
#587 ]
Elite Member

@olegil

Have I missed the other "business models"?

olegil 
Posted on 24-Jul-2012 11:35:20
#588 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Nice quote out of context.

"put up or shut up" is a fairly common expression used when someone makes bold statements.

KimmoK 
Posted on 24-Jul-2012 11:57:45
#589 ]
Elite Member

The last 20 pages (before this one) were pretty civil. Let's keep it THAT way.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

number6 
Posted on 24-Jul-2012 13:04:37
#590 ]
Elite Member

@Shufflepuck

Quote:
Are you willing to try to port AROS to Raspberry Pi (native)?

Apparently Rasp is otherwise engaged atm.

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost.php?p=701089&postcount=72

For those who don't know, that is Michael Battaliano of Cloanto speaking to:

Eben Upton
Executive Director, Raspberry Pi Foundation

number6 
Posted on 24-Jul-2012 13:10:03
#591 ]
Elite Member

@michalsc

I've detailed some of what you write about in conjunction with OS4 h/w with some real world testing lately.

A/V - Audio/Video

matthey 
Posted on 24-Jul-2012 13:20:00
#592 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

olegil wrote:
I've always used this as my reference:
http://www.microapl.co.uk/Porting/ColdFire/cf_68k_diffs.html

And it doesn't exactly seem to agree with you on the differences there.

There are other small differences (in user mode) but the big difference is that ColdFire left out many instructions and addressing modes of the 68k. The encoding space that the CF didn't use is still free. That's why they can be trapped by Freescale's CK68KLib:

http://www.microapl.co.uk/Porting/ColdFire/cf68klib.html

Notice where they say missing instructions and addressing modes. Notice also where the link you posted says re-introduced or re-implemented. They are just putting back 68k instructions and addressing modes that were taken away by the CF. The only way that is possible is that the encoding space is free (no encoding conflicts). The only way that Freescale's CK68KLib can trap 68k instructions is that the encoding space is free (no encoding conflicts).

Quote:

Cod3r wrote:
You have the right info. Matthey's reference is off.

What encoding is "off" in my reference? Name one! There may be a few minor mistakes but you are going to spend a lot of time looking up encodings before you find any, if you find any. Some CF instructions I list allow Rn instead of Dn but An being open (no encoding conflicts) does not affect the accuracy of mapping encoding conflicts. I allowed Rn in the map and in the disassembler as that was how the fpga 68k core was originally going to be mapped. It's really ignorant to leave out BYTEREV An when the value being changed is an address for example.

I showed a pdf map of non-conflicting encodings of 68k and CF instructions and a working disassembler with source that can decode 68k and CF instructions at the same time. Some people would call that proof while ignorant people might not understand the proof. I didn't question your lack of proof but you question my proof? You have created doubts about your credibility by your lack of knowledge of the CF and lack of ability to examine programming proof of which you claim to have ability in both.

Last edited by matthey on 24-Jul-2012 at 01:28 PM.

Yssing 
Posted on 24-Jul-2012 16:04:51
#593 ]

@g_kraszewski

Those 280 megs are for storage.
But you can still add lots of memory to lowend CPUs my A1200/060 has 256 megs.

Cod3r 
Posted on 24-Jul-2012 19:56:43
#594 ]

@g_kraszewski

Quote:

g_kraszewski wrote:
@Cod3r

And if you are talking about MorphOS is the fastest and lowest resource consumption, you don't read or get out much.

"On hardware supported by MorphOS", you have preferred to slip over this part.

There are pet projects that are thirty times more capable that MorphOS.

Any example? And what method do you use to measure "capability" of an operating system, so you get the number 30?

Have you realized that I am so far the only one who has got Aros to run on a ColdFire?

So do you have plans to join MorphOS Team?

Oh brother... even the part about hardware supported by MorphOS is inaccurate. I give up with logic on this topic... believe what you want to believe.

Thirty was an arbitrary number... pulled out of the air. Meaning basically that there are many OSes many more times capable and use less resources.

And if I had the time I would love to help every project I could. But first i'd have to believe in the point of what i'm working on. With MorphOS I kind of don't... why not just run AmigaOS if you want a Amiga-like OS on PPC hardware?

I like Android but am not going to fanatically confess that it is the best OS in the planet...

Cod3r 
Posted on 24-Jul-2012 19:58:51
#595 ]

@utri007

Quote:

utri007 wrote:
@Cod3r

I think that you missundestood cgutjahr

You project would atract groups 2, 3 and 4

Group 2. is main your target group. Problem with them is word emulator :) That why is important how you implemt 68k compatiability. For them best solution would be something like Oxypatcher http://www.nightvzn.net/portfolio/web/amiga_monitor/archives/2_9html/oxy.htm

Groups 3 and 4 has a limited interest, for group 3 problem is that it is not Commodore or Amiga for group 4 problem is where do you get "modern destop OS"? Aros has it change, but ... it doesn't have modern web browser etc.

I really thing that you should take a contact to Elbox and ask if they still have dragon hardware or interest to it. With them you wouldn't have problems that you have with your current hardware.

Best place to talk about your project would be amiga.org, there are much more classic hardware hobbyists, though they are cynical and probably unfriendly, but still

You are correct, my mistake. Group 1 would not be interested in what i've done so far. I think that contacting Elbox would be the next obvious step but being that I don't have any other Amiga but an old unexpanded 500 I don't think I can even try to code for Dragon, especially without the board itself...

Cod3r 
Posted on 24-Jul-2012 20:09:18
#596 ]

@Overflow

Quote:

Overflow wrote:
This is a intresting thread for causual readers, but I almost feel its spiraling into a nitpicking
contest.

What I have a hard time getting a handle on, is where this is going.

What are the spesific goals, plans and hopes for example Cod3r.

Maybe Im too dense to see it.

In short my specific plans are to implement my 68k on ColdFire solution anywhere it can be used whether it means integration with another existing product or coming up with a new solution, like ColdFire on PCI card like some earlier in the thread suggested.

I don't have hardware skills and the one guy I know how could easily do it *cough* A.R. *cough* doesn't have time to create any hardware for my ideas. And I have no budget to pay anyone else, well let me say that I don't want to spend my money like that. So i'm stuck.

I am trying a collaboration effort with some people but that is not really off the ground and i'm am unsure if it ever will do so.

So in the immediate future if the Amiga collaborators don't get to work with me soon, I have no choice but to accept the offers to work with other collaborators on different platforms.

I hope that clears it up some for you.

Cod3r 
Posted on 24-Jul-2012 20:10:12
#597 ]

@utri007

Quote:

utri007 wrote:
@Cod3r

MorphOS hobbyist are annoying, they hijack every OS thread and start to advertaising their own OS. Sometimes it is like they are more interested other OSs than their own, because typical MorphOS thread has about 10-20 posts, but they doesn't have any problem to write hundreds posts to OS4/Aros etc threads.

Sorry that :) Your project is interesting

You said it, not me

Thanks I hope I can keep the project interesting and moving along

Cod3r 
Posted on 24-Jul-2012 20:13:32
#598 ]

@Shufflepuck

Quote:

Shufflepuck wrote:
@Cod3r

You got AROS running on a ColdFire, congrats.

Are you willing to try to port AROS to Raspberry Pi (native)?

That would be an idea but again I need more help to do so. The guy who could help me do it is too busy with his professional life right now to do it.

If you know any interested volunteers let me know...

Cod3r 
Posted on 24-Jul-2012 20:15:54
#599 ]

@g_kraszewski

Quote:

g_kraszewski wrote:
@Overflow, @utri007

Nitpicking is usually started when someone (Cod3r this time) starts to write bold statements about something he has no knowledge (MorphOS this time). And yes, in such case MorphOS hobbyists can be annoying, but I see no MorphOS advertising happening there.

Cod3r seems to be not interested in PowerPC (which is understandable) and I have a feeling he is a bit irritated by the fact "nextgen" systems abandoned M68k family (which is also understandable). I only can wish him luck with his project. As cgutjahr noted, audience of it may be somewhat limited. On the other hand, anyone can port AROS to anything he considers interesting. I have some curiosity to see how AROS performs on ColdFire and what can be squeezed from those processors. Yet I have no serious interest in the project. Therefore I apologize anyone feeling offended by "those annoying MorphOS hobbyists", just please, reconsider such unverifiable statements like the one about "30 times more capable systems" .

I am sorry if you were offended by my 30x statement. It was just a figure out of the air and I am sure MorphOS makes many of its users happy or else they wouldn't use it.

Cod3r 
Posted on 24-Jul-2012 20:18:08
#600 ]

@michalsc

Quote:

michalsc wrote:
@Cod3r

Quote:
You just aren't getting it... 400mhz CAN do codecs, man. You just have not done your homework. Plenty of examples exist in the real world and in the not so distant past. Even Windows systems with 400mhz dog slow Celerons back on Windows Me did compressed video! You must be too busy living in your bubble to realize that.

And You must be so overexcited about yourself, that you seem to not read what other people are trying to tell you.

Not a single person says here that 400MHz CPU cannot encode or decode videos (maybe even those with 720p size). What all people are trying to tell you is, such 400MHz CPU can not encode or decode in real time videos compressed with codecs like WebM or h264, which we all use nowadays. Got it? :)

I remember I was watching some MPEG-4 movies on 350MHz machine long time ago, but the very first thing I had to do was to re-encode them in lower resolution, as the machine was not able to play MPEG-4 stream in 720x576 size.

Ok I got it. When I have the time to spare and 400mhz machine i'll be back with a video otherwise I will just be quiet and let common beliefs stay where they are.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle