Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 97 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 agami:  33 mins ago
 wakido:  2 hrs 41 mins ago
 bhabbott:  2 hrs 44 mins ago
 Karlos:  3 hrs 51 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  4 hrs 20 mins ago
 amigakit:  4 hrs 52 mins ago
 Matt3k:  6 hrs 9 mins ago
 RobertB:  6 hrs 27 mins ago
 cip060:  6 hrs 59 mins ago
 sibbi:  7 hrs 8 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Amiga's future, or lack of
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
PosterThread
NutsAboutAmiga 
Re: Amiga's future, or lack of
Posted on 21-Jul-2014 13:05:58
#61 ]
Elite Member

@cgutjahr

That's FUD.

Radeon HD does not have “Overlay” so what your asking is for is some hardware that does exist. 3D acceleration and Composition replaces Overlay, so you don't even need overlay.

And we have DMA, we have Ethernet on PCI card, its not show stopper, nothing that should prevent anyone from buying one if they have the cash.

3D is nice to have, but not essential 3D is mostly for games, well you can write program that use 3D, but you don't need to use 3D for it, if you just want some thing display graphic fast and accelerated, you have Composition that do all that in 2D.

Anyway if you are really desperate, there some people who has plugged in a Radeon 9250 and this have 3D drivers for, and overlay works on this graphic cards, but its not much point in using a video card with overlay.

And while people keep nagging about the X1000 and about how expensive it is, and nagging about driver for x,y,z while not knowing what drivers exist and not, there are nice Sam460 systems being sold, this are not so expensive and they do have PCIe bus so you can use newest graphic card on this.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Jul-2014 at 02:32 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Jul-2014 at 01:41 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Jul-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Jul-2014 at 01:19 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Jul-2014 at 01:18 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
eliyahu 
Posted on 21-Jul-2014 13:22:03
#62 ]

@Vistaus

don't bother trying to convince the board that the modern amiga still has some shine to it to pull in hobbyists like ourselves. i got my first amiga in 2010, and i've met others that joined the amiga community since the X1000 was announced around the same time. our presence doesn't fit with their doctrine that the platform is 'dead.' note, of course, that those that push that line also happen to be fans of 'alternatives.'

-- eliyahu

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 21-Jul-2014 13:32:47
#63 ]
Elite Member

This not Android or IPhone or huge commercial success, we don't have millions of user.

Where you put out game for 5$ and get 100000 of buyer in week. This more like 10 users who are interested in donating and 10 more who ask for features, and the rest are users who download things with out thinking about donating a buck.

I think there are not many that can say that Amiga development is there main income.

The success is not about developers only its about the attitude of every one, and the number of customers and supports.

We need more supports / customers, a few years a go there where more activity on bounty's, bounty's might be nice way to motivate developers, if there is some thing you rally want see, if you can collect some money do a bit of crowd funding. You don't need to be a developer to do good things for AmigaOS.

The important thing if there is program you like to see on AmigaOS is that mostly supported by AmigaOS, check dependency what libraries are needed to get this working, check OS4Depot.net to see if we have this, ask in forums if some libraries are missing.

Also it might nice if you know a developer who has not been active in a while if he is interested in shearing his source code with some one. There are lots of old programs for classic AmigaOS that might be nice get modernized, if not for its features maybe for its nostalgic value.

Modernized being adding support for AHI, and large file support more then 2/4Gbytes large files, add RTG support / Picasso96 support.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Jul-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Jul-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Jul-2014 at 02:03 PM.

OldFart 
Posted on 21-Jul-2014 14:06:19
#64 ]
Elite Member
From: Stad; en d'r is moar ain stad en da's Stad. Makkelk zat!

@OlafS25

Quote:
oh indeed why do we discuss at all when there is ONE new user?

Because: “No cause is lost if there is but one fool left to fight for it.”
New users will not come in by droves, but trickle in one at a (long) time. Be glad they still show up.

OldFart

klx300r 
Posted on 21-Jul-2014 14:17:24
#65 ]
Elite Member

@OldFart

+1

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

OlafS25 
Posted on 21-Jul-2014 14:24:05
#66 ]
Elite Member

@OldFart

i have no problem with that. There are three options:

1.Be happy with what you have (and expect the worst and hope for the best )
2.Evaluate and use one of the alternatives
3.Drop Amiga at all

Sadly many former amigans chose 3, many of the existing userbaser (AmigaOS) chooses 1. It is a little strange to me that even unhappy user mostly only evaluate 1 or 3 and not 2. The discussions about change directions, hardware support and ISA changes lead to nothing when related to closed OS. People should accept it how it is. When the new X series models are out it will become obvious what is supported (and what not) and then everybody should think about if it is acceptable or not and then decide (and not expect new drivers added).

Last edited by OlafS25 on 21-Jul-2014 at 02:27 PM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 21-Jul-2014 at 02:26 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 21-Jul-2014 14:27:26
#67 ]
Elite Member

@paolone

Commercial product or not, it does not matter.

You need to invest in things if you want have success, even big commercial company’s have investors, this invest in the company to get economic return on there investment.

Hyperion is small company with not a large amount of big investors, we can't expect the same thing from Hyperion as we do form Apple or Microsoft.

And no I was not necessarily taking about OS, but the software that runs on it, SW and OS goes together like cream and butter. To make nice cake you need the right ingredients.

pavlor 
Posted on 21-Jul-2014 16:19:15
#68 ]
Elite Member

@BigGun

Quote:
With a only few hundred users or low thousand there is little commercial point to produce or port any new software.

Exactly. There is probably 1000 OS4 users, similar number of MorphOS users and not much more AROS users. 68k crowd (classic and UAE) is probably most numerous, but had only few skillful software developers (in comparison to these three NG solutions). Even combined you get less than 10000 potential customers.

Products like powerful accellerators for classics (eg. your in developement) or portable computers could attract far more people than 3000+ USD big box AmigaOne. However, still too few for sustained developement in such fractured community.

OlafS25 
Posted on 21-Jul-2014 17:19:19
#69 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

Number of users will never be enough. Only chance to offer crossplatform development so you can easily support the platform(s) and still earn your money on the big platforms like mobile or Windows/Linux/Mac. Example of this is Antiryad Gx (3D) and Hollywood (I have some ideas there) for games. Application is almost impossible to get because Windows is dominating this market. Even Linux has no chance.

noXLar 
Posted on 21-Jul-2014 18:33:06
#70 ]
Cult Member

@eliyahu

+1 thats very true

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 21-Jul-2014 18:53:12
#71 ]

@OlafS25
Even linux has no chance is not correct... this year we will se AEROS phones... ups Ubuntu phones : p

Vistaus 
Posted on 21-Jul-2014 19:01:56
#72 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

Then name one developer that's intersted in creating something great (and I really mean something a lot of people want) for AmigaOS 4 and I'll be the first one to chime in and put my money into it. Depending on the program, I'd be happy to donate up to 200 euros for a bounty.
(with my regular donations to devs/creators every month I do smaller amounts (usually 10-30 euros), but for a one-time bounty I'd be happy to put in more)

BigGun 
Posted on 21-Jul-2014 20:39:40
#73 ]

@pavlor

Quote:
Products like powerful accellerators for classics (eg. your in developement) or portable computers could attract far more people than 3000+ USD big box AmigaOne. However, still too few for sustained developement in such fractured community.

I wonder if there is a chance to get more people.

What Commodore did well was how they sold the A500.
The A500 was good value for the money.
The A500 was sold in all places in every store.
Commodore created a huge user base this way.

I think a high priced system is not a way to get a big user base.
I assume a real low priced system might have a slim chance to get a good a base of retro nerds.

What do you think?

Last edited by BigGun on 21-Jul-2014 at 08:40 PM.

Spectre660 
Posted on 21-Jul-2014 21:39:06
#74 ]
Elite Member

@BigGun

A few things that may need to be done before lower cost machines can be contemplated without the two current manufactures getting into problems.

OS 4.2 needs to be available to be evaluated to set the minimum specs for new hardware.
Acube could then define their highest specs machine and A-eon could define
their lowest specs hardware.Then you have scope for your lower cost machines .

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 21-Jul-2014 22:01:45
#75 ]
Elite Member

@Vistaus

Quote:
Then name one developer that's intersted in creating something great (and I really mean something a lot of people want) for AmigaOS 4 and I'll be the first one to chime in and put my money into it.

Thats not easy as I belive there are many developers who do great things, but here is lost of developers.
roll a dice.

Quote:
Then name one developer that's interested in creating something great (and I really mean something a lot of people want) for AmigaOS 4 and I'll be the first one to chime in and put my money into it.

I don't know what developers are going to work on, its easy to judge by what they have been working on.
Here is my list developers I think should get a donation.

Afkil
for work on QT, he is working on updated version.

Fab & Ka1e
Odyssey web browser, a nice web browser.

Álmos Rajnai
the work on UAE-JIT as been huge task, not many can do what he does, we are on 4th year on that project.

LiveForIt
New Mplater 1.1.1 is coming out soon, with full DVD playback support and other goodies,
some of the work that being done for video in mplayer now will most likely done in Basilisk in the future.

zzd10h
SmTube: Maybe not complicated port, but its nice program I use a lot.

Fredrik Wikstrom
for the massive amount of work he put into audo codecs for TuneNet. And datetypes.
http://www.os4depot.net/index.php?function=modules/sql/filesbyuploader&submitter=Fredrik+Wikstrom

Spot / Up Rough
the same for massive work on audio codecs and demos and games.
http://www.os4depot.net/index.php?function=modules/sql/filesbyuploader&submitter=Spot+%2F+Up+Rough

HunoPPC
Normanly create quality ports of games, he is working on new emulator called FinalBurn, looks really nice.

Daniel Westerberg
He is responsible for AmiVNC, and MplayerGUI, he has recently lost his job, need so sharing up.

Joakim Nordström
While I don't like Java his work on Java has really impressive, it almost makes me belive there will be usable version in future, while Java is slow, there is lot programs for it, so it might be worth it.

Edgar Schwan
For the work on AmiCygnix and Gimp, AbiWord and other programs.

Quote:
Depending on the program, I'd be happy to donate up to 200 euros for a bounty.
(with my regular donations to devs/creators every month I do smaller amounts (usually 10-30 euros), but for a one-time bounty I'd be happy to put in more)

it's nice that you put that amount into donations not many do.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 22-Jul-2014 at 12:23 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 21-Jul-2014 22:11:15
#76 ]
Elite Member

@BigGun

I agree but then it need so be super commercial, some thing every one will by even if they don't need one
come up with some thing like and can really create a cash COW, but thats not easy.

Ipod and tamagotchi was products like that.

I'm sure it wont end up being Amiga related, if you think about Amiga games, well I think kids are spoiled sick, and hard to see any one wanting a Amiga to play games on when they have so many XBOS/PS3 and Mobile phones to play with.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Jul-2014 at 10:11 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 21-Jul-2014 22:19:52
#77 ]
Elite Member

@Spectre660

I think generally specking I think AmigaOS is not even close to being main stream, there are just too many things that are not prefect, and it needs to be if its going to be sold to people who are used to Linux, MacOS and Windows.

People wont buy it simply because its low cost, it has to do what people expect, and to day they expect to do every thing they can do on there mobile phone or tablet on a computer.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Jul-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 21-Jul-2014 at 10:30 PM.

Nameless 
Posted on 21-Jul-2014 22:20:50
#78 ]

@BigGun

An inexpensive retro system is the only possible way to reach any sort of mass market, in my opinion. It's been that way for the past decade.

It'd need to be in the Raspberry Pi price range... weird to think, but if Amiga as a company actually did anything, and there wasn't all of those legal issues, there is no reason why Amiga couldn't have put out a cheap retro system before the Pi and sold millions.

$25-$40 retro system, ideally using an ASIC, perhaps with a cheap ARM, bundled with tons of old games/software, with the original OS -- perhaps with a version of AROS, would sell. Perhaps it wouldn't be a gigantic success, but it'd sell much better than anything else in Amigaland post Commodore.

Syperhawk 
Posted on 21-Jul-2014 23:11:03
#79 ]

@Vistaus

Quote:

Vistaus wrote:
@thinkchip

There aren't any new Amiga users? Speak for yourself. I'm 22 years old and new (well, new compared to the rest) because my AmigaOne 500 is my first Amiga ever that I have for almost a year now.

I do agree that OS 4.2 development seems to go very slow. They should at least bring forth some teasers.

(oh and I'm Western European ;))

Have you used an Amiga before this?

Syperhawk

Telnet:->amigaisland.dyndns.org (Down Until Further Notice)
=================================================

Overflow 
Posted on 22-Jul-2014 0:34:05
#80 ]

@OlafS25

Quote:
Number of users will never be enough. Only chance to offer crossplatform development so you can easily support the platform(s) and still earn your money on the big platforms like mobile or Windows/Linux/Mac. Example of this is Antiryad Gx (3D) and Hollywood (I have some ideas there) for games. Application is almost impossible to get because Windows is dominating this market. Even Linux has no chance.

There is some truth to this. While the effect of "amigans" buying games/software that are crossplatform is probarly quite small it can still amount to something.

For example I only knew off and bought Amazing Voxel Bird because the developer made an Amiga platform version of it too, and posted about it on this forum. I was very plesantly suprised that the game indeed was awesome.
This weekend I went on a holiday trip with 2 nephews and they discovered Voxel Bird on my Ipad.
After a few minutes they both "Ooooh, this game is so much better than Flappy Bird!!" A few minutes later they both had Voxel Bird installed on their pads, and Im pretty sure they will show it off to their friends (which might lead to more sales).

I have no illusions that it makes a whole lot of difference, but crossplatform products that includes Amiga versions will atleast get some real attention amongst us. If the playability is any good, it will spill over outside our own little clique.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle