Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 164 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

AMIGASYSTEM

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 AMIGASYSTEM:  6 secs ago
 OlafS25:  6 mins ago
 MichaelMerkel:  12 mins ago
 Matt3k:  12 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  18 mins ago
 pixie:  51 mins ago
 Hypex:  52 mins ago
 VooDoo:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 pavlor:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 16 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  How would the future dual core support work on OS4 ?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
danwood 
Re: How would the future dual core support work on OS4 ?
Posted on 19-Nov-2014 1:41:45
#21 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
You can download Music if you wont to using "illegal" applications, or you can convert the music you already own to MP3, this is what is called ripping.

Of course there are many legal ways to buy music (in fact over 90% of music sales are done digitally these days), I've not bought a music cd for over a decade.

Last edited by danwood on 19-Nov-2014 at 01:42 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
danwood 
Posted on 19-Nov-2014 1:42:41
#22 ]

@Metalheart

Google music is a great, free way to back up your mp3 collection too.

Robert 
Posted on 19-Nov-2014 9:37:19
#23 ]
Cult Member

@Metalheart

Quote:
Anyone remember using cassette tapes in a sony walkman ?

Remember?
I still own two of those devices.

Abel Soul - Check out our tunes on Spotify

Vanhapolle 
Posted on 19-Nov-2014 10:54:01
#24 ]

@Robert

I also have good qality casette deck.(NAD)
ps. i dont have phyical cd player i use mac for this. and copy cds one common (which is cpu light play even 68k amiga :)...) lossless format when i avoid cd/dvd drive noise... and i selled my cd player becouse i dont need amplifier and non working radio what it also have. and i use home studio quality active monitors for music. if i need sounds form Amiga (very rare thing) i can connect my audio interface which works mixer even without mac.

jorit2 
Posted on 19-Nov-2014 16:43:52
#25 ]

@broadblues

Quote:

there some "internet law" about that kind of thing I think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osborne_effect

Jose 
Posted on 19-Nov-2014 19:03:34
#26 ]
Cult Member

I think cassette tapes still make sense for arquiving sound because when you have loads of data on one medium and it fails there's practically no way no recover it. An example are DVDs, Blu Rays or USB pens with high capacity. If you don't have various backups or are misfortune enough for them to fail at the same time (as has happens sometimes after a few years with low quality stuff) you lose huge amounts of data. With cassettes you can still hear the sound and remember / rerecord those old songs/riffs or whatever, despite the quality decrease with time.

José

BigD 
Posted on 19-Nov-2014 22:47:47
#27 ]
Elite Member

@Jose

Quote:
With cassettes you can still hear the sound and remember / rerecord those old songs/riffs or whatever, despite the quality decrease with time.

Have you never had a tape chew up on you or even snap before? It is very distressing and ruins if not destroys the music.

Jose 
Posted on 19-Nov-2014 23:58:30
#28 ]
Cult Member

@BigD

Sure :) But my point is that with a cassette even if something drastic like that happens you can restore the cassette and still hear something, even if the sound is very distorted afterwards it's enough to hear what was on it. Compare that to a low quality digital medium that loses big chunks of data if not everything when it goes off.
It's also a very practical way of recording something if you wake up in the middle of the night with a piece of music in your head, just press two buttons and we're recording.. (that can be done with portable digital recorders nowadays too though....).

Last edited by Jose on 19-Nov-2014 at 11:59 PM.

José

hotrod 
Posted on 21-Nov-2014 0:39:34
#29 ]
Elite Member

@Metalheart

Quote:
Ya, well.... Anyone remember using cassette tapes in a sony walkman ?

YES! Those where the days! Even had a DCC-freestyle and to my suprice I could never hear the difference between a CD and those tapes and neither could any of my friends. Very odd technology but connecting the CD-player (also Philips) with a special cable to the DCC-deck and record the CD would make copies that sounded exactly the same as on the CD.

There was lots of BS going on back then about soundquality but MP3 doesn't contain all the information of an LP either or CD for that matter. An LP contains more information than a CD. Can you hear it? No you can't.

Anyway, I think that ADRipper is really good but so damn slow. I used a script with some music DB-software that first copied the file, then encoded it to MP3 and then deleted the copied file (not the MP3) and it was faster AFAICR. It used LAME and I used the Altivec version.

Oh well... music is allways interesting :)

agami 
Posted on 21-Nov-2014 4:31:17
#30 ]

@anyone

So I have a large library of sheet music and I was thinking of converting them to vinyl records. This part is easy as I have access to an orchestra, vocalists, and a gramophone writer; it's a very advanced gramophone writer that can copy from a master wax cylinder at 8x speed.

The tricky part is creating PCM CDs from the vinyl records. Sure I could listen to them directly but getting one of those snobby new-age valve-based players is outside my budget. Vinyl is nice and warm but it's not very portable. So it looks like I'll have to get one of those USB connectable gramophone players and then record the PCM audio and create Audio CDs. I suppose something could get lost in the direct digital connection so I might opt to put two microphones in front of my record player speakers (one per speaker) and put that through my mixer and the output of the mixer into my audio sampler computer add-on. I have egg cartons all over the walls and ceiling so no ambient sound will be recorded, and the subtle buzz of the speaker vibration in the background reminds me of simpler times when each copy was different from the source.

The rest then is very easy. What do you guys usually rip to:
Do you choose lossless, or a high bit rate like 320kbps? VBR or CBR?
Do you feel that you can still tell the difference between 192kbps and 256kbps despite the multiple decades of clubs, concerts, and ageing? Do you choose to sample at 48kHz even though 44.1kHz is plenty for most reproduction scenarios?
Do you listen to your mp3 music on the go? If so, how do you power your Amiga when you are out and about? Or do you copy the mp3s to your Palm Pilot via the serial port?

I hope no one takes offence. It's Friday and I felt like having a little fun.

Anonymous 
Posted on 21-Nov-2014 8:28:22
# ]

@agami

If you've really good music you love to hear, you should *always* go lossless.

I ripped every single one of my cd/mc/lp collection to FLAC and never regret it.
(There are other lossless codecs, i think today even newer MP3 versions have kind of a lossless mode, but FLAC is supported since a long time in AmigaOS now and it sounds just great)

edit: Listening...

Everything packed onto my NAS and streamed to different broadcasters around the house.

Last edited by Raziel on 21-Nov-2014 at 08:29 AM.

Report this post  
olegil 
Posted on 21-Nov-2014 8:44:26
#32 ]
Elite Member

@agami

You made me cry a bit there, can I be offended about that? Of course, it's technically from laughing too hard, but still.

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

Xmas87 
Posted on 21-Nov-2014 9:33:53
#33 ]

The length of time and lack of hard information on dual/multi core support in AmigaOS leads me to think that true SMP is not possible without breaking compatibility with too much legacy software.

I suspect that AmigaOS4.1FE is a line in the sand for legacy compatibility and that 4.2 onwards will be a new OS with minimal native compatibility.
It may well use UAE to support both 68k and older PPC software, whilst possibly being able to run 4.1FE on one core and 4.2 on another.

amigadave 
Posted on 21-Nov-2014 9:42:25
#34 ]

@Metalheart

Quote:

Metalheart wrote:
Ya, well.... Anyone remember using cassette tapes in a sony walkman ?

I bought an 8-Track tape deck to install in the first automobile I bought for myself that was brand new from a dealership (Mazda Rotary Engine mini-pickup truck. Had a blast driving it for the first 60,000 miles I had it, then the rotor tip seals started wearing out and it was burning almost as much oil as gasoline). Am I dating myself a little bit?

Robert 
Posted on 21-Nov-2014 12:49:26
#35 ]
Cult Member

@Vanhapolle

Quote:
I also have good qality casette deck.(NAD)

I still have a cassette deck too, taking pride of place in my living room (between my turntables).

Quote:
i use home studio quality active monitors for music.

I have those for recording and editing but I use common or garden hi-fi speakers in the living room.

Robert 
Posted on 21-Nov-2014 12:56:29
#36 ]
Cult Member

@agami

Hahaha - thanks, that gave me a giggle.

Joking aside, though:

Quote:
Do you feel that you can still tell the difference between 192kbps and 256kbps despite the multiple decades of clubs, concerts, and ageing?

never noticed it at home but when I was DJ-ing, a decent PA would show up the difference between 192 and 320. (never compared with 256 so don't know)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle