Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 159 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Matt3k:  57 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 52 mins ago
 agami:  2 hrs 28 mins ago
 amigasociety:  2 hrs 50 mins ago
 matthey:  3 hrs 36 mins ago
 RobertB:  3 hrs 53 mins ago
 Rob:  4 hrs 17 mins ago
 number6:  5 hrs 22 mins ago
 Karlos:  5 hrs 58 mins ago
 kolla:  6 hrs 27 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  How to make Amiga OS a leading operating system?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 Next Page )
PosterThread
TRIPOS 
Re: How to make AmigaOS a leading operating system?
Posted on 14-Sep-2015 17:37:55
#1221 ]

@KingKong

Quote:

KingKong wrote:

AMD Radeon R9 Fury X: Mit Wasserkühlung und 8,6 TFlops
AMD Radeon R9 Fury X dank HBM-Speicher mit 512 GByte/s
AMD: 4K-Grafikkarten mit Stapelspeicher noch in diesem Quartal
HBM-Spielergrafikkarte: Spezifikationen der AMD Radeon R9 Fury enthüllt

Wow, with those things maybe OS4/Warp3D could perform the Quake3 benchmark in what, 90 FPS? Or maybe 100 FPS even?

Profile     Report this post  
KingKong 
Posted on 19-Sep-2015 7:33:13
#1222 ]

SEL4 Microkernal is what Exec dreams of being?
L4 microkernel family

"Multiple Independent Levels of Security/Safety (MILS) is a high-assurance security architecture based on the concepts of separation and controlled information flow; implemented by separation mechanisms that support both untrusted and trustworthy components; ensuring that the total security solution is non-bypassable, evaluatable, always invoked and tamperproof. ..." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_Independent_Levels_of_Security

"L4Linux is a variant of the Linux kernel that is being altered to the extent that it can run virtualized on the L4. L4 is a microkernel and the L4Linux kernel runs a service. L4Linux is not a fork but a variant and is binary compatible with the Linux/x86-Kern, thus it can replace the Linux kernel of any Linux distribution. ..." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L4Linux

"PikeOS is a microkernel-based real-time operating system made by SYSGO AG. It is targeted at safety and security critical embedded systems. It provides a partitioned environment for multiple operating systems with different design goals, safety requirements, or security requirements to coexist in a single machine. ..." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PikeOS

"MINIX 3 is a project to create a small, highly reliable, and functional Unix-like operating system. It is published under a BSD license and is a successor project to the earlier MINIX 1 and MINIX 2 operating systems. The main goal of the project is for the system to be fault-tolerant by detecting and repairing its own faults on the fly, without user intervention. The main uses of the operating system are envisaged to be embedded systems and education. MINIX 3 currently supports IA-32 architecture PC-compatible systems. It is also possible to run MINIX under emulators or virtual machines, such as Bochs, VMware Workstation, Microsoft Virtual PC, Oracle VirtualBox, and QEMU. Ports to the ARM and PowerPC architectures are in development. ..." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MINIX_3

"FreeRTOS is a popular real-time operating system kernel for embedded devices, that has been ported to 35 microcontrollers. It is distributed under the GPL with an optional exception. The exception permits users' proprietary code to remain closed source while maintaining the kernel itself as open source, thereby facilitating the use of FreeRTOS in proprietary applications. ..." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeRTOS

Crypto phone, Sichere mobile Kommunikation

Some further links, perhaps something to learn from ... but the question is: what could AmigaOS become? Is it possible to improve AmigaOS to be better than Microsoft, Apple and most Linux systems? Some requirements:

- ECC
- RTOS
- reliable
- efficient
- modular
- userfriendly
- bugfree and secure
- open source, open hardware
- able to efficiently run Linux, Windows and Mac OS programs
- bottom up public checksums, with secure scanner and display
- chip integrity verification, for external hardware (SSD, USB) also
- suitable for embedded systems, military, industry, office, home, multimedia, games, supercomputer, ...

It's possible, if enough people get and stay interested and therefor it must be open source. How could a small company own the best OS ever? No way. What would be the point in a hobby OS for only a few freaks?

Besides: Russia, China, India, ... won't buy a closed source western OS, they will develop own operating systems - and that's the big chance for open source, because all can work together to build the best OS. How could AmigaOS become anything all alone against Microsoft, Apple, Linux and so on? AmigaOS may have a chance but only open source. Only a very good open source OS would be used as an official OS by many states and that is very important, because only such an OS would be teached at school and used everywhere. (all imho)

Thorham 
Posted on 19-Sep-2015 8:32:37
#1223 ]

@phoenixkonsole

You paint a picture of a hellish future of computer nightmares

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 19-Sep-2015 9:23:02
#1224 ]

@Thorham
: )
I call it heaven. it will depend on the who controls it.

wawa 
Posted on 19-Sep-2015 9:55:11
#1225 ]
Elite Member

i really wonder who still bothers to read his monumental posts.

pavlor 
Posted on 19-Sep-2015 11:10:03
#1226 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:
i really wonder who still bothers to read his monumental posts.

Read someone´s posts? Mis-read and ignore the rest. That is the way here on AmigaWorld!

Only joking of course (I hope so).

KingKong 
Posted on 4-Oct-2015 10:47:41
#1227 ]

Call me stupid but is it possible that newer Power Architecture specifications are not optimal? Could it be, that Power ISA v.2.04 is quite well but that the following Power specifications are increasingly bloated?

If so ... than the Power specifications must be revised. One way could be a stripped and such optimized bloated specification or there could be a new branch beginning from Power ISA v.2.04 where only really useful features are realized (remember KISS and don't forget the 48 bit idea: KingKong #259, KingKong #276, KingKong #707, KingKong #747).

Maybe transactional memory and speculative execution are not such good ideas, because they cost energy and make everything more complex, which increase cost (reduce yield) and risc of failure.

Yeah, such reduced chips would likely be slower than some bigger ones but that could be compensated with more efficiency, security, safety, reliability and last but not least a lean operating system and efficient apps.

Just think of notebooks and smartphones - there could be a chance to revolutionize the market with efficient and supersecure Power PC devices ... and that would be a chance for Amiga also. (all imho)

PS: sorry, only in German: Deutschland und die EU können es schaffen + the starting post of this thread

Vistaus 
Posted on 4-Oct-2015 11:50:15
#1228 ]

What I think is needed to make AOS 4 a leading operating system (well, at least to kick it off into the market and get some more apprecietation, that is):

-A laptop/notebook (or a few) with AOS 4.
-More mainstream web stores need to at least sell one AOS 4 PC or even better an AOS 4 laptop.
-More up-to-date default software, like Odyssey 1.23 instead of the old OWB, for example.
-Qt 5 port, with a download link available on AmigaOS.net or AmiStore. And even better if Qt 5 would be installed by default on a new AOS 4 install or at least be available on the Extras CD.
-More popular software needs to be kept up-to-date, like Timberwolf, LibreOffice and a fe others would need to be ported as wel.
-AmiStore needs to be installed by default.
-AmigaOS.net needs to be more prominently visible after first setting up a new AmigaOne and it needs to have more clear download links to popular software (some of them are missing).
-AmigaOS.net needs to have some instructional videos for newcomers.

Of course, some of them are not easy to do, but others are.

Last edited by Vistaus on 04-Oct-2015 at 11:50 AM.

Thorham 
Posted on 4-Oct-2015 11:59:47
#1229 ]

Can this thread just die, please? AmigaOS will NEVER EVER be a leading OS. Anyone who thinks it's possible is just fantasizing. It's effing ridiculous.

Vistaus 
Posted on 4-Oct-2015 12:03:43
#1230 ]

@Thorham

Never say never. It can happen. Even younger people like me (I'm 23) are using AmigaOS. So who knows, with the right amount of marketing and at least a laptop available, it can be leading. Not leading as in "more market share than Windows", but leading as in "other OS's look at what AmigaOS can do and copy it" and "enough market share to get some mainstream media coverage and a lot of new users".

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 4-Oct-2015 12:16:34
#1231 ]

@Vistaus

Quote:
Not leading as in "more market share than
Windows", but leading as in "other OS's look at what
AmigaOS can do and copy it" and "enough market share to
get some mainstream media coverage and a lot of new
users".

That will never happen under Hyperion.

pavlor 
Posted on 4-Oct-2015 12:30:13
#1232 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:
That will never happen under Hyperion.

So you think it is actually possible? I thought I´m lone BAF on this forum.

Vistaus 
Posted on 4-Oct-2015 12:35:28
#1233 ]

@WolfToTheMoon

We can help. You know how supermarkets get more customers? By customers telling each other "hey, it's a good store, go buy your groceries there!".

But even Hyperion needs to do *some* marketing to the mainstream at *some* point, else they will be out of business within the next 10 years or so.

Btw, did you even read some of my ideas a few posts ago? Some of them are easily doable (like my ideas for AmigaOS.net, for example).

Last edited by Vistaus on 04-Oct-2015 at 12:37 PM.

umisef 
Posted on 4-Oct-2015 12:50:19
#1234 ]

@Vistaus

Quote:
but leading as in "other OS's look at what AmigaOS can do and copy it"

But what is there to copy in 2015?

What is it that AmigaOS 4 does that, say, Linux does not?

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 4-Oct-2015 12:53:57
#1235 ]

@Vistaus

It's not a question of marketing. Hyperion doesn't have the resources to develop a maunstream platform. They can barely maintain a niche OS, let alone something more. Without Trevor's money and goodwill, there would be nothing left of OS4 by now.

AmigaOldskooler 
Posted on 4-Oct-2015 13:01:11
#1236 ]

For it to be a serious contender in the mass market, AmigaOS needs to offer something unique, something that you can't easily do on other platforms. As the situation is right now, it doesn't. PC's in general with Windows offers unlimited gaming possibilities (especially through Steam), all mainstream software, Internet right out of the box and low prices. It's impossible to compete with that on a larger scale. You can even emulate AmigaOS 4 on a PC, and PC's becomes faster and faster as time goes by, making emulation quicker.

OlafS25 
Posted on 4-Oct-2015 13:47:33
#1237 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

BAF?

OlafS25 
Posted on 4-Oct-2015 13:54:36
#1238 ]
Elite Member

@Vistaus

even with best marketing you cannot sell a product that is obvious far inferior. And even if OS features are up to date you would still miss the software and with software I do not mean some slightly updated old programs or some ports from linux world but exclusive new software and services that make it worthwhile to use AmigaOS (the same is true for the other platforms). And software development is expensive and risky, on a professional level even more expensive than hardware development. If you would have both a updated OS and new exclusive software and services then it might be right time to invest in marketing and in sales channels. But I do not need to tell you that reality is far distant from that and propably much much more than even Trevor D. is willing to spend.

pavlor 
Posted on 4-Oct-2015 13:55:11
#1239 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
BAF

Blind Amiga Follower. In broader sense harmless lunatic dreaming about Amiga resurrection. Like me.

OlafS25 
Posted on 4-Oct-2015 14:08:43
#1240 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

ah ok

then I have another one: BANF

Blind Amiga Name Follower

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle