Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 113 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Matt3k:  11 mins ago
 kolla:  16 mins ago
 Torque:  25 mins ago
 Karlos:  37 mins ago
 matthey:  48 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 5 mins ago
 MickJT:  1 hr 22 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 27 mins ago
 kiFla:  1 hr 53 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  2 hrs 11 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  i just realised something.....
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
Massi 
Re: i just realised something.....
Posted on 30-Mar-2015 19:07:54
#121 ]
Cult Member

@zzd10h

So few!

Profile     Report this post  
Trixie 
Posted on 30-Mar-2015 19:14:34
#122 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Massi

I think you misunderstood Broadblues' post. He was speaking in general terms, not getting at you personally.

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

broadblues 
Posted on 30-Mar-2015 19:22:37
#123 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Massi

Quote:

I speak for myself

Correct.

Quote:

and for all developers who accept donations.

Incorrect and please don't try to.

Quote:

Only your software is "decent"?
It is evident that you never run NetSpeedometer nor BigSister, so why you give lessons (please document yourself first).

I said nothing about your software, so please don't take that part personallly, I'm talking about a general approach to donations, and how to ask for them.

Tuxedo 
Posted on 30-Mar-2015 19:22:53
#124 ]
Elite Member

@zzd10h

And was the pioint of all Amiga(-like) situation..

TOO FEW Users!

Someone(And maybe the last one can be A-Eon) have to increase that user base to at least 1000/1500(to start something serious), but first of develop an OS with multicore/memory protection/and so on or a (rather)powerfull hardware...we need (GOOD) software to use on that!

In the actual situation AmigaOS was only a toy for fan...and thats sad...

Massi 
Posted on 30-Mar-2015 19:23:21
#125 ]
Cult Member

@Trixie

OK perhaps I misinterpreted.

Massi 
Posted on 30-Mar-2015 19:43:04
#126 ]
Cult Member

@broadblues

Quote:
Incorrect and please don't try to.

I was replying to Nuts (in ironic sense), so really no need to take it personally (as you did).

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 30-Mar-2015 19:53:44
#127 ]
Elite Member

@Massi

Quote:
So few!

I think this numbers might a bit high.

Liveforit-mplayer has 202 downloads, out of that 17 people donated.
(One or two people donated 2 or 3 times, really generously, thanks)

I earned around 200 Euro, you might think that is not bad, but if you think about how many months I worked on it, it is bad. Only 8.4% of people who use it has donated, around 10 euro etch.

I think Mplayer is the only project I have gotten donations.

I do not think I ever received any donations for Basilisk II, it has 187 downloads.

smtube has 260 downloads.

There are software that has not been updated in long time that has more than 1000 downloads, but this number, can be read as if the same users has downloaded it more then once.

So when people do complain about lack of things to do, or the lack of software, or complain about quality of the software, it does come back to the users, do they wont to back a project or not.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 30-Mar-2015 at 07:56 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 30-Mar-2015 at 07:54 PM.

zzd10h 
Posted on 30-Mar-2015 20:00:23
#128 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@NutsAboutAmiga

"smtube has 260 downloads."

Right, SMtube is very popular. Yes, 260 is very popular :)

I know that some users sent money to real author, Ricardo Villalba and not to me for SMTube (it's normal)

Massi 
Posted on 30-Mar-2015 20:05:53
#129 ]
Cult Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Numbers (and counters) apart, I guess not all users are aware that an unbelievable amount of time is needed to develop even a small (well written) utility.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 30-Mar-2015 20:09:22
#130 ]
Elite Member

@Massi

It not just the time you spend on developing a program, it time you spend also supporting it, answering questions and so on, e-mails, pm's, forums, comments on os4depot.net.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 30-Mar-2015 at 08:10 PM.

Raffaele 
Posted on 30-Mar-2015 20:11:27
#131 ]

@Metalheart

Quote:

Metalheart wrote:
I switched on my Sam to check my mail and do some internetting. After reading my mail i tried to check some sites and then it happend.....

I got tired of it loading zo slow and not working cause of some scripts or whatever, then i just switched it off...... And grabbed my Windows phone to continu internetting because it is soooo much easier ߘފ
Damn, maybe it is time to move on..... I find myself using my tablet, my phone and win7 pc more and more because everything is easier and faster.

Why on earth would i use my amiga for internetting if my pc next to it or my phone in my pocket does it better and faster ??
Hell, my amiga even takes longer to boot........

Sorry.... Feeling a bit down.....

What's the problem with your Sam?

I have a MacMini G4 with MorphOS and no problems of speed neither navigating.

It boots more or less the same time of my Android Samsung SII gingerbread.

And pay attention to this:

Internet stack of Morphos is slower than those of PCs.

(I download files at 300/400 Kbps.)

I navigate Facebook and youtube with no problems and I can even chat with friends on Facebook, so what issues do you find in AmigaOS?

If there are problems in AmigaOS please don't make accusations which can involve other Amiga-like systems different from yours.

At this very moment I am out for an errand, so I am using my Samsung SII to answer you all and believe me...

It is a very pain in the ass due to tiny 4.5" screen and poor virtual keyboard response.

My Sony 17" crt monitor with OWB set at 1024 x 768 is better than any 5", 7" or 10" tablet screen even with HD feature 1280x720.

And aganlin pay attention:

I am lucky I am using Opera Browser. It is the only Android browser that not hangs-up inputting big amount of text, exceeding 7 lines.

Also speaking of experiences, I have no tablets at home, but I had the chance of using various times tablets of friends and relatives.

I found these devices real CR*P!

When cutting and pasting text the standard browsers are real poor and virtual "back" button often takes you back on the desktop page rather than doing its duty.

Also on tablets I miss the feature of a "real" home button.

So don't try to make us fool exaggerating features of phones and tablets.
They can't absolutely match any real computer experience, big TV screens, and real keyboard and mouse.

On my MacMini MorphOS 3.7 I can even doing some home banking.

MacMini is connected via WiFi, that's sweet, and using the WiFi router I can exchange files with my CellPhone using web browser based file transfer software.

Only things that annoy me are OWB not featuring japanese titles of the page in the window (I am PIXIV User and page is in full text in UTF8 japanese but not in window titles) and the fact its bookmarks system is very poor.

Now if you all want to discuss about lack of software, then it deserves a new thread, and dealing with supporting development by bounties. That's my 2 cents.

Massi 
Posted on 30-Mar-2015 20:15:37
#132 ]
Cult Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

True, of course.

I would also add time for design prior to development.

wawa 
Posted on 30-Mar-2015 20:39:53
#133 ]
Elite Member

@zzd10h

Quote:
Don't forget that we are certainly less than 300-400 actives OS4 users

funny, that each time i mentioned exactly that kind of figure as likely i received a bashing from users trying to prove it was much higher. thanks for confirmation ;)

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 30-Mar-2015 20:48:33
#134 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Active users, and owners are two different things, we people who come back here after 2 or 3 years, asking what has happened sense they were logged in last time.

On the other hand, only the active users acutely matter.

Raffaele 
Posted on 30-Mar-2015 21:01:36
#135 ]

@wawa

Quote:

wawa wrote:
@zzd10h

Quote:
Don't forget that we are certainly less than 300-400 actives OS4 users

funny, that each time i mentioned exactly that kind of figure as likely i received a bashing from users trying to prove it was much higher. thanks for confirmation ;)

IT WAS much higher, but day after day we are losing our userbase, and sad to say it is due mainly to the fact we are becaming old.

Best part of us is over 40 and with children, we must take care of our sons and daugthers and make money for them, with no time anymore for fun hobbies.

Money is lesser and lesser expecially in Europe, due to Euro crisis and we can't afford expensive hardware.

If Amiga will be no capable to attract new people in the next 3 or 4 years, younger ones, offering them real cheaper hardware and counting on the fact it is the most friendly operating system (not the most efficient, but the one that give the user the best experience as it is easy understandable, more than any Linux), then we will be doomed to disappear as a solid community in 5 or 7 years from now.

Only core user will resist, but then there will be not enough power to create new versions of the Operating Systems, no new software and Amiga will be really nothing just than retrocomputing.

And I mean JUST retrocomputing.

Last edited by Raffaele on 30-Mar-2015 at 09:05 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 30-Mar-2015 21:02:29
#136 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:
Active users, and owners are two different things, we people who come back here after 2 or 3 years, asking what has happened sense they were logged in last time.

i trust at the time genuine a1 hardware has been released the overall amount of customers may have been quite higher than just a thousand. the question is if counting them in as if they were still around is realistic..

Quote:
On the other hand, only the active users acutely matter.

exactly.

Antique 
Posted on 30-Mar-2015 21:51:17
#137 ]
Cult Member

@Raffaele
Not sure where you got this from, but in your quote he refers to amigaos and nothing else....

PS! I use my AmigaOS with fb, gmail, net banking, recieving files from my S3 phone, picture editing, photo scanning, etc...

Quote:

@Metalheart

Quote:

Metalheart wrote:
I switched on my Sam to check my mail and do some internetting. After reading my mail i tried to check some sites and then it happend.....

I got tired of it loading zo slow and not working cause of some scripts or whatever, then i just switched it off...... And grabbed my Windows phone to continu internetting because it is soooo much easier
Damn, maybe it is time to move on..... I find myself using my tablet, my phone and win7 pc more and more because everything is easier and faster.

Why on earth would i use my amiga for internetting if my pc next to it or my phone in my pocket does it better and faster ??
Hell, my amiga even takes longer to boot........

Sorry.... Feeling a bit down.....

I navigate Facebook and youtube with no problems and I can even chat with friends on Facebook, so what issues do you find in AmigaOS?

If there are problems in AmigaOS please don't make accusations which can involve other Amiga-like systems different from yours.

@NutsAboutAmiga

Well, not to be rude. But if you want donations for your work, maybe you should make a note about that either on os4depot or in a readme file with your software? We are not mind readers.... The only software you have written about your paypal account or asked for donations was in MPlayer.
And i did mention to you to maybe ask about a bounty for porting allegro5. Atleast i would donate to such a port. There is no harm in asking if people are willing to give you some back for your hard work.

Quote:

by NutsAboutAmiga on 30-Mar-2015 20:53:44

@Massi

Quote:
So few!

I think this numbers might a bit high.

Liveforit-mplayer has 202 downloads, out of that 17 people donated.
(One or two people donated 2 or 3 times, really generously, thanks)

I earned around 200 Euro, you might think that is not bad, but if you think about how many months I worked on it, it is bad. Only 8.4% of people who use it has donated, around 10 euro etch.

I think Mplayer is the only project I have gotten donations.

I do not think I ever received any donations for Basilisk II, it has 187 downloads.

smtube has 260 downloads.

There are software that has not been updated in long time that has more than 1000 downloads, but this number, can be read as if the same users has downloaded it more then once.

So when people do complain about lack of things to do, or the lack of software, or complain about quality of the software, it does come back to the users, do they wont to back a project or not.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 31-Mar-2015 2:02:49
#138 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

Not wanting to get into any sort of argument here, but do you not see the hypocrisy in your post?
Telling others not to judge based on their own experiences/own gear, and then doing exactly that.
My tablet has no issues with the net. Doesn't matter how much text I type or what I do. It just works. Far from an expensive tablet too. It's just a quad core baytrail system with 1 gig ram and kitkat 4.4.4 (not a fan of the os to be honest).
Granted a 7 or 8 inch screen isn't ideal, but the device serves its purpose nicely.

Also, lack of a real home button? Even Opera, the browser you've mentioned has one. Perhaps its just your device/devices dimensions?

Last edited by fishy_fis on 31-Mar-2015 at 02:04 AM.

Raffaele 
Posted on 31-Mar-2015 5:42:13
#139 ]

@fishy_fis

Quote:

fishy_fis wrote:
@Raffaele

Not wanting to get into any sort of argument here, but do you not see the hypocrisy in your post?
Telling others not to judge based on their own experiences/own gear, and then doing exactly that.

No I don't. I just want to tell that if we base our judgement from personal experiences then mine is negative and it is important to tell why.
English is not my native language speaking..My bad.

Quote:

My tablet has no issues with the net. Doesn't matter how much text I type or what I do. It just works.

Upto version 4 as far I had to experience there was this annoying bug in input text windows of Android. If you write great amount of text and it fills more than 7/8 lines of full text, then it was almost impossible to navigate in it to make adjustments/corrections.
The only way was use button of reversedelete characters upto the point you want to correct, and then rewrite again all the text you canceled.
Only Opera browser is immune to this bug because it has its own text input window method.
Glad you can testimony at least this annoying bug has gone.

Quote:

Far from an expensive tablet too. It's just a quad core baytrail system with 1 gig ram and kitkat 4.4.4 (not a fan of the os to be honest).
Granted a 7 or 8 inch screen isn't ideal, but the device serves its purpose nicely.

Also, lack of a real home button? Even Opera, the browser you've mentioned has one. Perhaps its just your device/devices dimensions?

What are you talking about?

I mean "phisical" button in the centre below of any smartphone, that lacks on tablets.

And lots of cheap chinese phones now have central home button virtual too...

Don't tell me you had never seen this infamous trio on tablets?

Last edited by Raffaele on 31-Mar-2015 at 05:45 AM.

Massi 
Posted on 31-Mar-2015 9:54:17
#140 ]
Cult Member

@phoenixkonsole

Quote:
by phoenixkonsole on 30-Mar-2015 15:13:42

@Massi
: )
Really? There are 100000 of mediocre games and apps.
Many don't reach the minimum revenue for a payout.
Not as worse as Nintendo wii store where many developers didn't get a payout for the last 6 years (not wii u , wii)

See
http://motherboard.vice.com/read/a-quarter-of-apps-make-no-money-at-all

Or:

Vblank Entertainment's Brian Provinciano has said on multiple occasions that the latest 3DS version has proven to be a sales success, performing well and enhancing his interest in working on the portable in future. Unfortunately, the WiiWare version hasn't made any money due to the sales threshold on the service and the fact the title arrived — arguably — well after the Wii Shop's prime; Provinciano highlighted the issue to us last March and described the release as a "$20,000 gift to fans", before later clarifying that it had only reached a quarter of its sales target after its first month on sale. The scenario is simple, due to the sales threshold — since abandoned in the eShop stores — no money is given to the developer unless minimum unit sales are achieved, a policy with solid intentions at the Wii Shop's launch but has since backfired.
The one-man studio has now given an update on progress, highlighting how many copies still need to be sold to hit the threshold in both North America and Europe. It needs to hit its target in the first two years of release — so that'll be by 28th February 2015 — or all revenue is lost. The numbers are in the Facebook post below.

-
Amiga market isn't that bad because he could just have launched a bounty for his game : )

Thanks for the info, I was misinformed and I wasn' t actually aware of that "threshold" ...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle