Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
20 crawler(s) on-line.
 72 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 ggw:  7 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  18 mins ago
 Hammer:  36 mins ago
 matthey:  41 mins ago
 Matt3k:  1 hr 30 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 40 mins ago
 danwood:  2 hrs 5 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  2 hrs 14 mins ago
 Karlos:  2 hrs 23 mins ago
 kriz:  2 hrs 44 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  When a new Playstation 2 emulator for Amiga?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread
tlosm 
Re: When a new Playstation 2 emulator for Amiga?
Posted on 11-Apr-2015 13:32:16
#61 ]
Elite Member

@BSzili

I found MupenPlus is present on LinuxPPC probably the porting of the plus will be possible with less headhacke

MacBook Pro Retina I7 2.3ghz;
#nomorea-eoninmyhome

Profile     Report this post  
BSzili 
Posted on 11-Apr-2015 14:07:06
#62 ]

@tlosm

And we are back to the starting point: the CPU core in Mupen64Plus has no PowerPC JIT.

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 11-Apr-2015 14:09:27
#63 ]

@BSzili
Wii64 has a dynarec core

http://emulatemii.com

Based on mupen but enhanced with a Handmade ppc dynarec

Last edited by phoenixkonsole on 11-Apr-2015 at 02:11 PM.

BSzili 
Posted on 11-Apr-2015 14:34:59
#64 ]

@phoenixkonsole

I know about this one, and the XBox360 port too, but the interface of the JIT changed between M64 and M64+ (especially the 3rd party console ports). For the time being I have no time to fix these incompatibilities and adopt the PPC JIT for M64+.

Severin 
Posted on 11-Apr-2015 15:48:11
#65 ]
Elite Member

@Hillbillylitre

Quote:

Hillbillylitre wrote:

If you don't want to use Windows there is always the Mac if you want a more expensive and less functional system, and there is Linux if you want a cheaper system.

Mac is as bad as windows although easier to use than most linux variations.

Rant Mode on:

I LIKE AmigaOS, I use it all day, every day. I've used windows (enormous shudder), Mac OSX (Slightly smaller shudder) and Linux (huge shudder). They all feel horrible compared to AmigaOS, unresponsive & bloated. I hate waiting for the avatars of bordom (egg timer, spinning colour wheel etc.) to go away on 'modern' OS's so I can actually do something. I also hate modern superbloated programs that try to do everything when you only want one small function. (itunes is a good example).

Android is just as bad. for example I was moving files to a usb stick, it ran out of space... deleted some old files, try to move again and it says folder exists continue or abort, choose continue it creates a new folder with (1) appended to the name... STUPID!!!

Mac finder gives a replace option when you try to merge 2 folders, select it and the old folder is deleted and replaced instead of merging the contents again, STUPID!!!

Modern OS's are poorly designed and badly written, rely on hardware grunt instead of optimisation (as it's decreases profit), every update slows them down to make buy newer faster hardware. cached and temporary files fill up your hardrives resulting in poor performance, The OS requires reinstalling every so often to get the speed back up or to fix it when it's totally screwed up which is something I have NEVER had to do with AmigaOS.

Another thing I really hate is app stores that can't remember where you were in the list when you look at an app and take you back to the top every time so you have to scroll down many, many pages over and over again.

Don't even start me on how the internet has become unusable over the last few months as every time you click on a link it brings up a full page advert you can't get past all in the name of greed.

Rant Mode off:

Visit the Official OS4 Support Site for more help.

It may be that your sole purpose is to serve as a warning to others.

Hypex 
Posted on 11-Apr-2015 17:01:12
#66 ]
Elite Member

@Hillbillylitre

But how well do OS3.x programs work on a KS1.3 A500?

What is this imaginary Amiga you are talking about and why does an imaginary Amiga need an Amiga emulator? That doesn't make sense! Is it all in your
imagination?

Given your PC is also an imaginary Amiga that doesn't directly run Amiga apps nor is directly compatible with the Amiga I really fail too see what point you are making.

And where am I still benchmarking Quake III? I haven't played that in ages! And in any case the speed wouldn't worry me that much if it is compared to a similar ten year old PC or Mac.

Now what do you mean by OS4 being unsupported? It's supported fine and there is plenty of things to download and buy. If the OS4 experience was really as miserable as you claim it would have died years ago. No it's still here and being updated.

From your tone it looks like have never owned nor used OS4. If you had used it you would know that compatible Amiga programs work fine on OS4. The same as they would work on a real OS3.x Amiga. And also that AmigaOS4 runs native on the hardware including OS4 apps unlike that imaginary Amiga running on your PC.

You wonder what has OS4 that you don't already have on the PC? You answered your own question there. It's OS4, it's the killer app! The only remaining part of the Amiga legacy.

Last edited by Hypex on 11-Apr-2015 at 05:09 PM.

ferrels 
Posted on 11-Apr-2015 18:03:06
#67 ]
Cult Member

@gregthecanuck

Quote:

gregthecanuck wrote:
@ferrels
Quote:

When A-Eon decides to develop a motherboard that's more powerful than a PS2.

Riiiiiiight.... PS2 = 300MHz CPU, 148MHz GPU, 32MB RAM, ...

I suggest you owe A-Eon an apology for this ridiculous comment.

They are investing heavily in hardware and software. Their choices in CPU are entirely logical taking into account what is available on the market.

Trevor deserves major kudos for investing heavily into the Amiga marketplace. I don't think he will be seeing a profit anytime soon - he is taking a long-term view on things which is commendable.

Back to your cave, troll.

NG Amigas are useless for emulating anything beyond a 68K Amiga/Mac, 486 PC using DOSBox or PCTask, or a 68K Sega Genesis due to extremely poor GPU support. Just comparing raw CPU performance is a ridiculous way to determine if a system is suitable for emulating another architecture.

A-Eon and Hyperion should be apologizing to their customers for charging $3000 USD for a system that can't even compete with Windows 95. And fanatics such as yourself need to stop drinking the Kool Aid.

And Trevor doesn't deserve the credit for investing. The users who paid $3000 for their x1000s are the ones who invested. He's just using their money.

As for PPC being a logical path forward, go ahead and believe that if you think that using crippled, end-of-life, embedded processors is commendable.

As for long-term views, at the rate NG Amiga OS development is progressing, you may have decent USB, 3D support beyond OpenGL 1.2, and SMP around the year 2052. Most operating systems had these features in 1995 (20 years ago). Keep heading down the path you're taking if you're satisfied with such "progress" and keep sending Trevor and Hyperion your money.

Last edited by ferrels on 11-Apr-2015 at 06:25 PM.
Last edited by ferrels on 11-Apr-2015 at 06:25 PM.
Last edited by ferrels on 11-Apr-2015 at 06:17 PM.
Last edited by ferrels on 11-Apr-2015 at 06:14 PM.
Last edited by ferrels on 11-Apr-2015 at 06:04 PM.

Amiboy 
Posted on 11-Apr-2015 18:51:13
#68 ]

@ferrels

Quote:
And Trevor doesn't deserve the credit for investing. The users who paid $3000 for their x1000s are the ones who invested. He's just using their money.

So what.... Trevor got all the CPUs for nothing, had the boards manufactured for nothing, got the cases for nothing, shipment for nothing and is sitting pretty with the 10000's of % profit he made off the back of the @deluded@ X1000 buyers??

So what you are saying is that Trevor didn't put a lot of his own money into having the X1000's produced??? Utter bullcr@p

I'm sorry, but obvious troll is still obvious and IMHO I think even some of the most hardened hater trolls on this site (and who appear to have popped up recently) would find this line ludicrous.

I think you need to stop taking whatever it is you are taking and remove that tinfoil hat.

Plus sometimes I wish people such as yourselves would put their money where their mouth is and do something themselves if they dont like the current offerings (i.e. I challenge you to come up with a system of a similar spec as the X1000/X5000 for same/noticeably cheaper price).

Last edited by Amiboy on 11-Apr-2015 at 06:56 PM.

A1200, Power Tower, TF1260 128MB RAM, 68060 Rev 6, OS3.9 BB2, HD-Floppy, Mediator TX+ PCI, Voodoo 3 3000, Soundblaster 4.1, TV Card, Spider USB, 100MBit Ethernet, 16GB CF HD, 52xCDRom.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 11-Apr-2015 19:07:15
#69 ]
Elite Member

@Severin

Sorry guy, this is the 2nd time in recent weeks I've responded to you about this. I'm not targeting you specifically, but a few of your posts I've felt warrant a response, ergo....

Repeating the same nonsense doesn't make it true you know?
Windows7 was more efficient than Vista, 8 more so than 7, and 8.1 more so again.
Required/recommended specs are decreasing in the last few years as more, lower spec devices are being targets, despite the os doing more than ever. Dual and quad core atoms are up to the task nicely, as demonstrated by many, many cheap tablets and netbooks, despite being no more powerful than desktops from last decade.
Re-installs are also pretty much remnants of the past. My 3 year old i5 laptop has *never* had a reinstall and is still as fast and responsive as ever, despite a plethora of updates.

I get the Amiga/Amiga os appeal, I really do, but creatively criticizing something else (as in most of the criticisms arent even true, or at best demonstrate worst case scenarios(all systems have these)) just makes a person sound as though they're trying to justify their own choice.
Most people here are fairly computer literate and use the very things others here are trying to criticize. It baffles me that despite this some will still try to sell ideas they deep down know to be inaccurate, especially when the people they're trying to convince know even better still.

Given similar specs a Windows machine will outperform an amiga-oid system more often than not. Just because the system has software to utilize modern hardware doesn't mean it needs said hardware to just run the OS.
Personally I'm happy to accept that, and I still favor amiga-oid systems, all without the need to make up reasons why other systems suck.

ferrels 
Posted on 11-Apr-2015 19:35:01
#70 ]
Cult Member

@Amiboy

Quote:

Amiboy wrote:
@ferrels

Quote:

So what.... Trevor got all the CPUs for nothing, had the boards manufactured for nothing, got the cases for nothing, shipment for nothing and is sitting pretty with the 10000's of % profit he made off the back of the @deluded@ X1000 buyers??

So what you are saying is that Trevor didn't put a lot of his own money into having the X1000's produced??? Utter bullcr@p

I'm sorry, but obvious troll is still obvious and IMHO I think even some of the most hardened hater trolls on this site (and who appear to have popped up recently) would find this line ludicrous.

I think you need to stop taking whatever it is you are taking and remove that tinfoil hat.

Plus sometimes I wish people such as yourselves would put their money where their mouth is and do something themselves if they dont like the current offerings (i.e. I challenge you to come up with a system of a similar spec as the X1000/X5000 for same/noticeably cheaper price).

I don't believe Trevor invested as much money has you believe he has. I remember a lot of people pre-ordering and waiting for systems. That's where the bulk of any invested funds came from. I wouldn't call these buyers deluded as you have. I'd call them misled. The Xena chipset was evidence of that. It was heavily marketed as a co-processor add-on that would be of great value to OS4 users and it is totally useless to this day. It was simply a sales gimmick to appeal to classic Amiga users.

You don't need to challenge me to come up with a system with similar specs as an X1000/X5000. Those were developed over 10 years ago and they're called PCs.

And I have put my money where my mouth is. I sold my PegII along with my copy of OS4 because the hardware was essentially useless running OS4. I bought the system because I believed the bullsh@t that you and a few other fanatics here had spewed, but the reality was quite different from the land of delusion in which you live.

Keep extolling the virtues of the Cult of the NG Amiga. Trevor can continue to be your saviour, but like any religion, try not to get upset with us non-believers or feel threatened by us and our views. Having different viewpoints is healthy. Things won't improve unless the flaws are pointed out. Unfortunately, I think the NG Amiga hobby world is experiencing its final gasps for breath. Classic Amigas stopped making money for users and developers long ago. And there are probably less than 15 people who can say their X1000 NG Amiga has even given them a return on their investment, let alone a profit. The NG Amiga hobby world is in a death spiral and nothing is going to change that, not Trevor, not you, and not blind obedience to the virtues being extolled here.

Last edited by ferrels on 11-Apr-2015 at 08:26 PM.
Last edited by ferrels on 11-Apr-2015 at 07:35 PM.

cdimauro 
Posted on 12-Apr-2015 7:55:59
#71 ]
Elite Member

Emulators require high single core/thread performance, which is NOT the case with the e5500 and e6500 PowerPC cores.

Emulating "beasts" like a PS2 requires also a good MIPS JIT compiler, which isn't easy to get. For sure, a MIPS CPU is much simpler than a 68K, so I don't expect that it takes as long as the UAE's 68K->PowerPC, but... who will do it?

fishy_fis 
Posted on 12-Apr-2015 9:29:09
#72 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

While good single threaded performance is important, pcsx2 also happens to use multithreading pretty heavily. Three or four cores actually performs significantly faster vs. 2 identical cores for this particular emulator.
Lowest spec machine I've run it in a satisfactory way was with an i5-760@3.3ghz + gf560ti, which is probably a dozen times more powerful than any ppc amiga-oid system, more so when adding in GPU performance.

It really is beyond the reach of any amiga-oid system baring maybe x86 aros.

p.s. my definition of satisfactory is full speed for majority of games at my monitors native res (1200p). Resolutions that low or lower don't have much influence anyway.

cdimauro 
Posted on 12-Apr-2015 9:50:57
#73 ]
Elite Member

@fishy_fis: I substantially agree.

When I talked about emulators, I was talking in general.

PCSX2 is a special case because it can use multiple core/threads and takes benefit from them, but:
- it's an exception in the world of emulators;
- the multithreading implementation comes at some compatibility problems. Some games cannot run or have problems, because of the optimistic approach of the emulator (needed to let it use more threads/core, so offloading operations). There's a big and (very) technical post on the PCSX2 emulator blog which explains it, if you are interested.

Hypex 
Posted on 12-Apr-2015 14:00:11
#74 ]
Elite Member

@ferrels

Quote:
The Xena chipset was evidence of that. It was heavily marketed as a co-processor add-on that would be of great value to OS4 users and it is totally useless to this day.

The only thing I ever saw it do was flash some LEDs on the mobo that you have to pull the case off and get down on yout knees to see. It'd also rather foreign as the SDK and code was not very Amiga like and probably had more in common with AmigaDE. But people said early on it is an off the shelf part you can stick in a PC. I didn't see it really going anywhere myself. What Sam user has made use of the FPGA on their board? Likewise XCore is aimed at the technical user, not avergae user.

Quote:
I bought the system because I believed the bullsh@t that you and a few other fanatics here had spewed, but the reality was quite different from the land of delusion in which you live.

Does mean the system is only good for MorphOS? I've seen a few people "buy into" OS4 and been disappointed. For example, finding the internet experience to be poor. Or something else lacking support. These are things I have no hang ups about as I already knew about them. But somehow some people expected the NG Amiga experience to match modern computing. So they get burned and disappointed wuth it. The NG Amiga experience is the same as the old Amiga experience, it's not perfect! Always lacking in software, inability to read common files and poor on the internet. I don't know why anyone would think the Amiga would get better at it!

These are all the costs when it comes to the price of love. If you love AmigaOS set it free, if it comes back to you in a better version it's yours!

OlafS25 
Posted on 12-Apr-2015 14:13:02
#75 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Sometimes when someone wrote he might buy a AmigaOS based computer it seemed that the user came rushed from every dark corner and praised how fantastic X1000 or a SAM is and a "must-buy" and if someone said there are cheaper alternatives and also he should look carefully on the situation and if he will be happy all these people were rapidly called "trolls" and "spoiling fun" and "destroying every AmigaOS related thread with their comments". AmigaOS user tend to be, how shall I call it, to be a little too euphoric.

But you are right, everyone can collect the informations about the situation and then decide.

cdimauro 
Posted on 20-Apr-2015 21:53:52
#76 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:

Hypex wrote:
@ferrels

Quote:
The Xena chipset was evidence of that. It was heavily marketed as a co-processor add-on that would be of great value to OS4 users and it is totally useless to this day.

The only thing I ever saw it do was flash some LEDs on the mobo that you have to pull the case off and get down on yout knees to see. It'd also rather foreign as the SDK and code was not very Amiga like and probably had more in common with AmigaDE. But people said early on it is an off the shelf part you can stick in a PC. I didn't see it really going anywhere myself. What Sam user has made use of the FPGA on their board? Likewise XCore is aimed at the technical user, not avergae user.

No, it's aimed to control chrimast trees.

ferrels 
Posted on 20-Apr-2015 22:32:38
#77 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex

Quote:

Hypex wrote:
@ferrels

Quote:

Quote:
I bought the system because I believed the bullsh@t that you and a few other fanatics here had spewed, but the reality was quite different from the land of delusion in which you live.

Does mean the system is only good for MorphOS? I've seen a few people "buy into" OS4 and been disappointed. For example, finding the internet experience to be poor. Or something else lacking support. These are things I have no hang ups about as I already knew about them. But somehow some people expected the NG Amiga experience to match modern computing. So they get burned and disappointed wuth it. The NG Amiga experience is the same as the old Amiga experience, it's not perfect! Always lacking in software, inability to read common files and poor on the internet. I don't know why anyone would think the Amiga would get better at it!

These are all the costs when it comes to the price of love. If you love AmigaOS set it free, if it comes back to you in a better version it's yours!

MorphOS was actually quite a good experience on my PegII/OpenDesktop Workstation. The interface was aesthetically pleasing and intuitive, unlike OS4 which by default, is configured to look and work like OS3 on a classic. Hardware support was much better under MOS as well. I never experienced any issues with USB like I did under OS4. I would still be using it today if not for the lack of a decent office package and better browser support. That hindrance affects both operating systems. I even considered running OSX on it by using the MOL (Mac on Linux) framework but just didn't have the time to tinker with it anymore and decided to sell it. Yes, my expectations were probably too high at the time, but in those days I needed a system that could pay for itself over time and this one wasn't/isn't it. That may change if Trevor and his minions release an office suite for OS4. Browsers for both operating systems have been enhanced enormously lately which is a good sign.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle