Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
5 crawler(s) on-line.
 114 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Matt3k:  21 mins ago
 ktadd:  38 mins ago
 matthey:  55 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 agami:  1 hr 37 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  3 hrs 16 mins ago
 michalsc:  4 hrs 43 mins ago
 kolla:  7 hrs 3 mins ago
 Torque:  7 hrs 12 mins ago
 Karlos:  7 hrs 24 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  A1-XE cpu module repair idea
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
busytech 
Re: A1-XE cpu module repair idea
Posted on 28-Feb-2016 0:31:01
#61 ]

@olegil

Sorry for the delay in updating this, but I had some communication/other issues with the location doing the CPU transplant.

It is finally done and the 3 x G4 chips are now on the A1 CPU boards. Unfortunately my Amigaone is currently down with a faulty PSU. So when I get that replaced in the next wekk or so I shall try the new boards.

Click image for larger view

Profile     Report this post  
PR 
Posted on 28-Feb-2016 10:10:12
#62 ]

Looks Cool. Passive cooling? No Heatsink? Fan?

Mine changed the 100 pins G4 from another XE because there was a good fan assembled on top of it. Then Clocked at 933. Worked nice.

The fan was too heavy/ something whent wrong in time with the MB and was repaired for a bit longer than two weeks. Never touching again.

Just waiting for the virusfree Net program with printing. (From 2002;)

busytech 
Posted on 28-Feb-2016 12:34:56
#63 ]

@PR

Quote:
Looks Cool. Passive cooling? No Heatsink? Fan?

I have a fan & heatsink. It has just not been put on the chip yet.

PR 
Posted on 29-Feb-2016 17:16:03
#64 ]

Thought so. Ok.

Evillord68 
Posted on 29-Feb-2016 19:22:39
#65 ]

@olegil

Which one is the extra pin? My card works with 1266MHZ with a real 1267 MHZ Cpu, i want to try to clock it to 1,4 GHZ or more. But with the 4 dips the maximum is 1266MHZ.

Greetings

Jürgen

busytech 
Posted on 29-Feb-2016 23:42:00
#66 ]

@Evillord68

Quote:

Evillord68 wrote:
@olegil

Which one is the extra pin? My card works with 1266MHZ with a real 1267 MHZ Cpu, i want to try to clock it to 1,4 GHZ or more. But with the 4 dips the maximum is 1266MHZ.

Greetings

Jürgen

I tried to contact the one person (Crisot) who knew where/how and had created an extra link for the 5th pin, but I wasn't able to ever get a reply from him.

Anonymous 
Posted on 1-Mar-2016 8:27:53
# ]

@busytech

Not sure if he left the scene completely, but you might want to try it on Facebook

Report this post  
olegil 
Posted on 1-Mar-2016 14:18:59
#68 ]
Elite Member

@Evillord68

bga pad a7, conveniently located on an edge might be possible to sneak a wire in there without shorting something. definitely something someone as crazy as me would do. so do you feel lucky, punk?

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

olegil 
Posted on 2-Mar-2016 4:57:49
#69 ]
Elite Member

@olegil

using the picture posted as reference:
if you draw a line between the R in R21 and the A in XC7455A you cross over a via right next to the chip. there's good hope that this is connected to A7, but no guarantees. in any case, this is neither trivial nor impossible

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

QuikSanz 
Posted on 2-Mar-2016 5:39:18
#70 ]

Should be very low current so a very small hook up wire should do. Maybe 22 or 24 gauge, thin Insulator.

billt 
Posted on 2-Mar-2016 18:11:21
#71 ]
Elite Member

@QuikSanz

Quote:
Should be very low current so a very small hook up wire should do. Maybe 22 or 24 gauge, thin Insulator.

I like 30 guage wire-wrap wire, or some thin epoxy-coated magnet winding wire.

QuikSanz 
Posted on 3-Mar-2016 1:32:27
#72 ]

@billt,

I've used that, I think it had a teflon insulation. Looked very clean but hard to work with, I have fat fingers.

delshay 
Posted on 3-Mar-2016 17:58:47
#73 ]

@olegil

Quote:

olegil wrote:
@Evillord68

bga pad a7, conveniently located on an edge might be possible to sneak a wire in there without shorting something. definitely something someone as crazy as me would do. so do you feel lucky, punk?

No. ..you should have added the wire when installing the new CPU.

ie you should have solder a thin bit of wire with very little solder to the contact pad, then install the CPU, I have done this many times on CPU & GFX cards by pulling a single strand from a multi-core wire.

If track is available should have trace this first before soldering in CPU.

You can also go the professional way and add missing tracks/pad.

Last edited by delshay on 03-Mar-2016 at 06:03 PM.

olegil 
Posted on 4-Mar-2016 7:42:35
#74 ]
Elite Member

@delshay

I just noticed I was referring to the wrong package anyway. The pin is probably H8, which is impossible to reach after soldering the BGA

delshay 
Posted on 4-Mar-2016 12:17:37
#75 ]

@olegil

Quote:

olegil wrote:
@delshay

I just noticed I was referring to the wrong package anyway. The pin is probably H8, which is impossible to reach after soldering the BGA

It does not matter, if it has been done before, that means it is there on the PCB. Not that hard to find, follow the track of the other four towards the CPU should give some clue, it could be one of those pads which has no resistor or you need to remove a resistor to un-tie it (guessing here). One way is to measure the resistance of one of the others, then start eliminating, but for sure it is there otherwise it could never have being done.

So it is clearly available. Next time someone trace this out before inserting a new CPU, its so much easyer.

olegil 
Posted on 7-Mar-2016 13:56:50
#76 ]
Elite Member

@delshay

I still think it's easier to just ask Chrisot, but unfortunately I don't frequent wherever he's frequenting these days (apparently not here, as nothing came from PM'ing him in the old thread).

I don't have a G4, otherwise I would obviously be all over this

DWolfman 
Posted on 14-Mar-2016 19:13:22
#77 ]

Recently I found the spare A1 XE G4 module I had from the old A1 motherboard and took a really close look at the traces around the multiplier switches and resistors between it and the CPU. Had to take a picture with my phone since my eyes are not all that great any more for looking at small stuff like this.

Anyway, from what I can see the traces are routed around some parts and go under the chip too far away from the actual pins to say for certain if any of the others around them could go to the necessary fifth multiplier location on the CPU. Also, one of the traces from the switch block appears to go through to a different layer of the board before it gets to the CPU.

I would have uploaded the picture, but I need to redo it. I thought I had cleaned off all the dust, but the phone's camera at least showed that I didn't get it all. Plus I have an actual camera with better resolution than the phone's built-in one, so I'll redo it with that instead.

Now, something I'm considering, but not sure I want to do yet, is to try and remove the CPU from the board. I'll have to look in to what I will need to do that, and it may be a while since I'm usually short on money all the time for anything other than bills. If I can get it off, I'll trace out the pads and see if that does go somewhere it can be connected to a switch. And I may see if I can get a faster CPU to put on it then have someone do that for me.

olegil 
Posted on 16-Mar-2016 12:41:52
#78 ]
Elite Member

@DWolfman

If it works, don't tamper with it, please. Much better to wait until someone has a non-working card to tamper with

Crisot 
Posted on 16-Mar-2016 13:28:06
#79 ]

This is the 5th PLL.

Remove this resistor + set the 4 others to "DOWN - UP - UP - UP" from left to right to reach 1400 Mhz.

Don't forget it's overclocking, you may have to set the vcore a little bit higher if it's a bit crashy. This require some extra cooling. The Zalman VF900 is perfect for this, but it's quite heavy and "unstable", try to not physically damage your CPU when installing it.

Be informed this won't tranform your computer, even compared to a 800/933 Mhz one. The Aone got much more restrictive bottlenecks than the CPU.

Last edited by Crisot on 16-Mar-2016 at 01:34 PM.

olegil 
Posted on 16-Mar-2016 13:59:22
#80 ]
Elite Member

@Crisot

AWESOME

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle