Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 109 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  21 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  27 mins ago
 Matt3k:  1 hr 38 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 56 mins ago
 cip060:  2 hrs 28 mins ago
 sibbi:  2 hrs 37 mins ago
 blmara:  3 hrs 14 mins ago
 Karlos:  3 hrs 14 mins ago
 zipper:  4 hrs 15 mins ago
 pavlor:  4 hrs 47 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  multi core
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
NutsAboutAmiga 
Re: multi core
Posted on 8-Jun-2016 17:26:39
#21 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Was not the idea to use a white / black list, there is black list for Petunia already.

Quote:
The question is what do the users want?

Well power to play movies maybe, more power for games.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 08-Jun-2016 at 05:27 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
olegil 
Posted on 8-Jun-2016 20:08:37
#22 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

on ppc, interrupts are soft (single handler needs to check which sub handler to call) anyway, so i doubt emulation has much downside.

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

olegil 
Posted on 8-Jun-2016 20:10:51
#23 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

and movies should benefit from any form of multiprocessing, so i think it makes a lot of sense.

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

Tomppeli 
Posted on 8-Jun-2016 21:28:55
#24 ]

@OlafS25
Quote:
MP does not solve all problems of course but would be needed for security reasons

To protect passwords ? There's other means to do that.

Quote:
the question is what do the users want?

The users wants quite many different ways and have strong opinions.

@ne_one
Quote:
So what's the point of this exercise?

Marketing.

@agami
Quote:
Right now legacy compatibility is holding the OS hostage.

And some OS features which the community thinks are important.

@Hypex
Quote:
need to run an old version of DOS. But who does that anymore?

The industry uses it maybe still.

@olegil
Quote:
and movies should benefit from any form of multiprocessing

Video playing is one of the few which benefits from it.

ne_one 
Posted on 8-Jun-2016 23:52:15
#25 ]
Cult Member

@agami

Quote:
Survival

If by that you mean it's (as Tomppeli suggests) mostly a marketing ploy to sell more licenses, then perhaps.

ne_one 
Posted on 9-Jun-2016 0:05:25
#26 ]
Cult Member

@agami

Quote:
P.S. Compatibility with legacy should have only been done through emulation. Right now legacy compatibility is holding the OS hostage.

Bingo... so why not devote limited resources to maintaining the existing OS/streamlining it for hosted emulation and move on?

I can't see people clambering to buy an upgrade with features that sound more appealing than the actual value that they provide.

Then again... that's pretty much the formula for success in any other market. Drat!

wawa 
Posted on 9-Jun-2016 1:22:53
#27 ]
Elite Member

@Tomppeli
Quote:

@agami
Quote:

Right now legacy compatibility is holding the OS hostage.

And some OS features which the community thinks are important.

not sure what your referring to, probably:
Quote:

But not breaking compatibility will hold back from implementing a more scalable solution that would work seamlessly on four or even more cores.

or this:

Quote:

I've used WinUAE quite a bit in addition to my (now sold) SAM460ex. In terms of using old software, using UAE has been a better experience for me than using Petunia in OS4.x. Why not break compatibility in OS4.2?

thing is, its too late. the only thing justifying usage of all these oses is legacy software. there is nothing worth mention that doesnt belong to this pool. apparently os4 has already a poor backward compatibility, aros x86 has even less, which explains it rather unattended status. under these circumstances its hard to expect, that even if few features, like smp or mp, could be added, that it would cause an instant flood of new productivity apps and games, be it ports or native ones. this train has departed long ago. today the legacy is even more obvious as a sole argument to use anything amiga related. thus breaking compatibility is digging further down the grave already wide open. sorry.

Last edited by wawa on 09-Jun-2016 at 01:23 AM.

olegil 
Posted on 9-Jun-2016 10:54:51
#28 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

I agree in principle, but the thing is, whether Petunia gets improved to handle MP/SMP or UAE get more tightly integrated for a seamless experience, I believe there are ways to keep compatibility even with these new features added.

PhantomInterrogative 
Posted on 9-Jun-2016 11:31:46
#29 ]
Cult Member

@wawa

Quote:

wawa wrote:

thing is, its too late. the only thing justifying usage of all these oses is legacy software. there is nothing worth mention that doesnt belong to this pool. apparently os4 has already a poor backward compatibility, aros x86 has even less, which explains it rather unattended status. under these circumstances its hard to expect, that even if few features, like smp or mp, could be added, that it would cause an instant flood of new productivity apps and games, be it ports or native ones. this train has departed long ago. today the legacy is even more obvious as a sole argument to use anything amiga related. thus breaking compatibility is digging further down the grave already wide open. sorry.

In a sense, I agree. In the past sixteen years, there has not been much application development. We are anchored in legacy software. Even A-Eon's acquisitions are legacy applications that are being ported/updated for OS4.x (mind you, I would like to use an updated ImageFX or Aladdin4D).

In another sense, I disagree. Keeping the anchor in place has kept the ship from sailing on. Yes, having new features does not guarantee new software; yet, new features make new software possible. Let Cloanto worry about emulating 1.0 - 3.9 under AmigaOS 4.x. Let Individual Computers make Amiga Reloaded for a native hardware Amiga experience.

Although people keep talking about how small the Amiga market is, it is a market that sustains original hardware purists, original hardware hackers, NG hardware users, x86/AMD/RasberryPi hardware users, UAE (on Windows, Linux, et al.), OS 1.0 - 3.9 users, MorphOS, AROS (several flavors), and AmigaOS4.x. Although fractured, these markets are still alive. A-Eon has tapped into that diversity with Amistore.

I say let Hyperion, MorphOS, and AROS ditch trying to be compatible. Let them advance so that we don't have to use a Mac, PC, or one of those horrible flippy-finger interface smart phones at home. If they fail, so be it. It is not as if they are successful under their current model of keeping the anchor in place.

Jose 
Posted on 9-Jun-2016 12:42:54
#30 ]
Cult Member

Oh come on, the icing on the cake would be to have both backwards compatibility and SMP. Yes, it might be difficult or next to impossible but that's part of the fun. Even from a hobby perspective there no hobby worth it's fun if you're just aiming for average, just my opinion. Many people keep saying the NG AmigaOS variants don't make sense, to me that's part of the fun, to try to make the apparently impossible, even if the chances are small. I enjoy 68k too (have an A4000 and an A1200).

Last edited by Jose on 09-Jun-2016 at 12:44 PM.
Last edited by Jose on 09-Jun-2016 at 12:43 PM.

José

iggy 
Posted on 9-Jun-2016 13:37:10
#31 ]

@Jose

Not impossible.
But the best solution would be to box in the current OS and build a layer above it.
I see no indication that this course is even being considered.

blakespot 
Posted on 9-Jun-2016 15:23:24
#32 ]

@Aslak3

From my experience a few years ago of coming back to AmigaOS after more then 15 year absence, the biggest culture shock was by far the lack of memory protection. After using Linux and OS X systems for those intervening years, MP quickly becomes something that you just take for granted; it's a far far bigger differentiator then SMP and 64bit.

Indeed. I've been using Amigas on and off for years, but lately I've been spending more time on my SAM440ep-Flex. I have to say, that I like the feel of AmigaOS 4.2, but despite the few apps I run, the system is incredibly unstable. Things freeze up and die all the time. This is the sole reason I've written off considering bigger metal like the X1000, etc.

I wish I could get farther into it, but it's so unstable, and I know this is not the OS' fault directly, but apps not playing nice. With protected memory, an app will only kill itself.

bp

OlafS25 
Posted on 9-Jun-2016 15:54:41
#33 ]
Elite Member

@blakespot

the biggest shock as a developer is coming back and no decent IDE or class library. It would be even ok to me when the software runs on modern system (including first testing) and you only finally compile for Amiga and do final testing there. The lack of all the modern stuff everyone is comforted to is a much bigger problem now than lack of 64bit or SMP. MP to implement without breaking all old stuff is difficult to do, perhaps some sort of chance to save your work before the system collapses would be sufficient. And I agree to Wawa (and have written that too a couple of times) the modernizations should have happen from day 1 in a time with much more users and expecially developers, now every software that no longer work will hurt because there will be noone replacing it.

kamelito 
Posted on 9-Jun-2016 16:50:39
#34 ]
Cult Member

@OlafS25

I ask Dr Peter Keitel back then on an Amiga show why don't you implement MP and the answer was something like hell no, not having MP force the developer to write stable software.
Kamelito

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 9-Jun-2016 17:25:01
#35 ]

Full memory protection was promised for OS4.0 release on this very forum by mr Hermans.
Multicore was a subject of a bet made by Ben Hermans that it would be available several years ago.

Draw your own conclusion but I'm pretty certain neither MP or multicore will ever be a part of AmigaOS as long as Hyperion is running things.

iggy 
Posted on 9-Jun-2016 17:27:45
#36 ]

@kamelit0

I don't get that at all, but then I don't have a doctorate.
It still sounds like a really stupid argument.
"We won't allow you to use the full potential of your hardware in order to encourage developers to create software that is more stable"

Huh?

pavlor 
Posted on 9-Jun-2016 17:46:21
#37 ]
Elite Member

@ne_one

Quote:
Bingo... so why not devote limited resources to maintaining the existing OS/streamlining it for hosted emulation and move on?

Are you sure this is really what current user base wants? Remember loud cries even against subtle changes like removal of WBStartup drawer? OS4 users are old and conservative (with few exceptions). That "feeling" thing is most important for them. Can you provide the same with your solution? If not, then forget about it.

Thorham 
Posted on 9-Jun-2016 19:21:12
#38 ]

Quote:
kamelit0 wrote:

I ask Dr Peter Keitel back then on an Amiga show why don't you implement MP and the answer was something like hell no, not having MP force the developer to write stable software.

Wow, what an incredibly dumb answer

kamelito 
Posted on 9-Jun-2016 19:35:13
#39 ]
Cult Member

@Thorham

In a sense he's right but for this to work the OS and every program written for it should be rock solid which is not the case unfortunately.
Kamelito

Kronos 
Posted on 9-Jun-2016 21:12:13
#40 ]
Elite Member

@Jose

Quote:

Jose wrote:
Oh come on, the icing on the cake would be to have both backwards compatibility and SMP.

Actually that is quite easy, only would be slower than running single core.

Fast and compatible ? Also possible ! Stability would suck
Fast and stable ? Sure, just throw away 99.99% of all apps written for AOS1-4.1.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle