Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 104 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Matt3k:  13 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  30 mins ago
 RobertB:  31 mins ago
 cip060:  1 hr 3 mins ago
 sibbi:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 blmara:  1 hr 49 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 49 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 14 mins ago
 zipper:  2 hrs 50 mins ago
 pavlor:  3 hrs 22 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Amiga site reports Hyperion in bankrupt and A-Eon acquired AmigaOS (Fake?)
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
PosterThread
TRIPOS 
Re: Amiga site reports Hyperion in bankrupt and A-Eon acquired AmigaOS (Fake?)
Posted on 12-Aug-2016 22:20:05
#321 ]

Eliyahu's "I'm under NDA" card is perhaps even more powerful than ChrisH's "Features/Windows is bad for you" card...

Profile     Report this post  
eliyahu 
Posted on 12-Aug-2016 22:28:03
#322 ]

@TRIPOS

Quote:
Eliyahu's "I'm under NDA" card is perhaps even more powerful than ChrisH's "Features/Windows is bad for you" card...

-- eliyahu

Hans 
Posted on 12-Aug-2016 23:56:44
#323 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:

wawa wrote:
@Hans

os4.2, gallium and smp by hyperion are prime examples, but even the announcements od aeon like these in case of warp3d nova or prisma megamix belong to that kind of cathegory, where the actual state of the project is communicated misleadingly, which leads to controverses and further loss of credibility.

A lot of the detail on the Warp3D Nova press release comes from me. I assure you, there was absolutely no attempt to mislead anyone. Had I known how some people would react then I would have put more emphasis on the work-in-progress aspect. However, I'm resigned to the fact that anything I say will be misinterpreted, twisted, and then spat back at me with insinuations of wrongdoing.

You're demonstrating precisely the kind of intolerance to error that I'm talking about, albeit at a milder level than others. TRIPOS' attacks on everything AmigaOS are almost comical in their ferocity, although you can almost admire his creativity in finding a negative angle.

Look, Hyperion have definitely made mistakes and has room for improvement (as do I). However, don't even pretend that it's all their fault. Some of the behaviour here has been really bad. Finally, if you want to improve a relationship then start with yourself; demanding that the other party changes first rarely works.

Hans

Rob 
Posted on 13-Aug-2016 1:10:29
#324 ]
Elite Member

@TRIPOS

There is no point for me to miss, really! All it is, is a petty argument instigated by someone who's still stuck in 2002-2004 flamewar mentality. Amiga OS4.x, AROS and MorphOS are all pretty equal and they all suffer from the same 2 main problems, a lack of native software and a lack of users. At this stage it really is pointless trying to prove that one is better than the others because it gains nothing and just makes you come across as an insufferable dick.

tlosm 
Posted on 13-Aug-2016 1:47:44
#325 ]
Elite Member

@TRIPOS

ok letz compare your i5 with my power9 lol

MacBook Pro Retina I7 2.3ghz;
#nomorea-eoninmyhome

wawa 
Posted on 13-Aug-2016 3:33:07
#326 ]
Elite Member

@Hans

Quote:

A lot of the detail on the Warp3D Nova press release comes from me.

im in no way questioning your work. neither that of m. boehmer or andy broad or others. however warp3d nova doesnt look like customer ready as yet and prisma megamix is not a "soundcard". im not sure if its an "intolerance" to point such things out, even if its almost obvious to those who have been watching all along.

ChrisH 
Posted on 13-Aug-2016 11:29:39
#327 ]
Elite Member

@TRIPOS Quote:
If you are a masochist, you can have Ambient behave (and even look!) pretty much identically as the original workbench.

But I am not talking about "the original workbench". I am talking about AmigaOS4's Workbench (which is quite a bit improved from say OS3.x's) *plus* Filer (which fills the lack of a proper non-icon 'lister' mode). It's no wonder you think Ambient will beat Workbench by miles, which you are (seemingly) talking about a completely different comparison to me.

I repeat that Ambient & Workbench are "horses for courses". i.e. Different designs intended for people who prefer different ways of thinking & different patterns of usage.

But since you insist, I would dearly love to know how (FOR EXAMPLE) to:

* Make Ambient open folders in new windows *that* have their size & position assigned by the folder's icon. (This is how Workbench works. OS4 adds the option to auto-close the parent window.)

* Stop Ambient changing from "All Files" mode to "Icons", every time I open a folder with an icon. (This is how Filer works. I can also make Workbench do that, by changing the DefIcon of Folders - admittedly not an obvious thing.)

(Note, the above may well be possible, but I never saw any such an options.)

Quote:
Did you just play out the "Windows is evil" card?!

Nope. Windows 10's (File) Explorer is actually quite nice. I simply picked XP's (File) Explorer as an example of a bad file manager with lots of features. The fact that it's quite similar to Win 10's should indicate that it's often the SMALLEST details that can make or break a file manager (for a particular person).

For example, I think Ambient would be massively improved by a handful of small changes. The actual feature set would hardly change. But for other people Ambient is already perfect...

Last edited by ChrisH on 13-Aug-2016 at 11:55 AM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 13-Aug-2016 at 11:54 AM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 13-Aug-2016 at 11:52 AM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 13-Aug-2016 at 11:52 AM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 13-Aug-2016 at 11:49 AM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 13-Aug-2016 at 11:46 AM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 13-Aug-2016 at 11:45 AM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 13-Aug-2016 at 11:43 AM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 13-Aug-2016 at 11:35 AM.
Last edited by ChrisH on 13-Aug-2016 at 11:31 AM.

Signal 
Posted on 13-Aug-2016 14:00:47
#328 ]
Cult Member

@Rob

Quote:

Rob wrote:
...... Amiga OS4.x, AROS and MorphOS are all pretty equal and they all suffer from the same 2 main problems, a lack of native software and a lack of users. At this stage it really is pointless trying to prove that one is better than the others because it gains nothing ........

Do you think it might be worthwhile for the principles to temporarily concentrate on the computer hobby market rather than so called 'mainstream' users demands. At least until the hardware is fully supported?

itix 
Posted on 13-Aug-2016 18:12:51
#329 ]
Elite Member

@ChrisH

Quote:

* Make Ambient open folders in new windows *that* have their size & position assigned by the folder's icon. (This is how Workbench works. OS4 adds the option to auto-close the parent window.)

It works in Ambient just like in Workbench (i.e. snapshot window). However, you have to switch to spatial mode or use "open in new window" from popup menu.

I just tried it and it works.

Quote:

* Stop Ambient changing from "All Files" mode to "Icons", every time I open a folder with an icon. (This is how Filer works. I can also make Workbench do that, by changing the DefIcon of Folders - admittedly not an obvious thing.)

Snapshot window does this for you. It works in same manner as above i.e. you have to open folder in new window. Otherwise it is using current selection (if it is all files then it keeps all files).

Quote:

For example, I think Ambient would be massively improved by a handful of small changes. The actual feature set would hardly change. But for other people Ambient is already perfect...

I think to most users it is good as it is (regarding how view modes work and are inherited). However, if you have ideas and wishes you can use our bug reporting tool. We Ambient defelopers may take a look at it and possibly implement to next or future MorphOS releases... we cant promise anything but it is the best method to get our attention.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 13-Aug-2016 20:54:33
#330 ]
Elite Member

@Raffaele

Replying here to a much earlier post which spilled into another thread, but deadwood's work on OWB has been general webkit fixes and updating aros version of OWB to use a more uptodate version of webkit than the ppc versions. He's also made merging of webkit and OWB easier from here on end for others working on Odyssey.
Deadwood's AROS version of Odyssey has both javascript working, and jit enabled for javascript. None of what you're asking for even applies to his version.

While he's always helpful, there's not much point in hounding him for anything other than insight. He's already expressed that he has no real interest in working on ppc software.

p.s. I dont like to put words in other peoples mouths, but Im pretty sure this is all accurate.

kolla 
Posted on 13-Aug-2016 21:43:22
#331 ]
Elite Member

@itix

Quote:

In fact, Ambient is wrong place to implement this. If vfs support was added to Workbench/DOpus/Scalos/Whatever then it would work everywhere and not just on one specific desktop manager.

You could have, lets say, rcdplay.pvfs file with your script inside. It would not control Ambient but it would just open new subdirectory (similar to lha and so on).

I would love to see you give it a go with Ambient and VFS then, if it is so simple. I have a Minimac G4 with MorphOS as well as a Pegasos 1, and both have CD drives, so how about a CD-player for the local CD drive, that uses Ambient listers, with buttons or gadgets for play, pause, skip back, skip forward etc?

ne_one 
Posted on 13-Aug-2016 23:25:40
#332 ]
Cult Member

@Signal

Quote:
Do you think it might be worthwhile for the principles to temporarily concentrate on the computer hobby market rather than so called 'mainstream' users demands. At least until the hardware is fully supported?

I'm not sure that we even know that anyone is concentrating on anything.

And if developing or supporting antiquated, expensive hardware is the focus of any effort then then 'pointless' is definitely an appropriate descriptor.

ne_one 
Posted on 14-Aug-2016 0:19:24
#333 ]
Cult Member

@eliyahu

Quote:
i certainly understand their frustration, disappointment, and even anger at the horrific behavior of some of the posters on this site..

I don't see how the behaviour of people on user forums should account for anything, including claims that only the opinions of current customers should matter.

Hyperion chose to engage with members of the community on mailing lists and forums and when they grew tired of dissenting voices they claimed that it was a huge distraction and picked up their marbles and left the schoolyard. And let's be fair - it wasn't all unprovoked.

The problem is they didn't replace the dialog with alternative forms of communication that are important for maintaining awareness.

It takes only a nominal amount of effort to set up Twitter and Facebook accounts, to reserve a domain name that actually connects to the product that you are selling and to update your corporate website to contemporary standards with information that lets people know that you are open for business.

Hyperion could have used this whole kerfuffle as an *opportunity*.

itix 
Posted on 14-Aug-2016 0:30:59
#334 ]
Elite Member

@kolla

Quote:

I would love to see you give it a go with Ambient and VFS then, if it is so simple. I have a Minimac G4 with MorphOS as well as a Pegasos 1, and both have CD drives, so how about a CD-player for the local CD drive, that uses Ambient listers, with buttons or gadgets for play, pause, skip back, skip forward etc?

Why me? I dont play CDs, I dont have another computers to play with and my iPad with YouTube app is much better at it anyway.

eliyahu 
Posted on 14-Aug-2016 1:52:24
#335 ]

@ne_one

Quote:
The problem is they didn't replace the dialog with alternative forms of communication that are important for maintaining awareness.

It takes only a nominal amount of effort to set up Twitter and Facebook accounts, to reserve a domain name that actually connects to the product that you are selling and to update your corporate website to contemporary standards with information that lets people know that you are open for business.

on this point i could not agree more.

-- eliyahu

thinkchip 
Posted on 14-Aug-2016 3:06:02
#336 ]

@wawa

Everbody understood that it isn't done yet. There is still a lot to do. I read this somewhere. Anyone interested can find the same information. I'd rather have an unfinished product that does something than nothing at all. Pointing out the obvious just to be negative is unproductive.

Zylesea 
Posted on 14-Aug-2016 9:25:01
#337 ]
Elite Member

@kolla

Just use songplayer. It does the job and it does it pretty well.

cgutjahr 
Posted on 14-Aug-2016 13:53:19
#338 ]
Cult Member

@broadblues

Quote:

The main issue with the laptop I think was not the announcment, made in good faith

Not even the guy who actually made the announcement ever defended it as being "made in good faith" afterwards (quite the contrary, actually), so i don't see why you're doing that.

The netbook was announced with a very specific release date ("end of Q2 2012") and a very specific price range ("300 to 400 dollar"). Two years later, Trevor explained he had looked into the Limebook but decided not to pursue it, as he arrived at an end user price of 500 GBP when calculating the costs, even if he would buy batches of a 1000 units...

Good faith? I don't think so.

pavlor 
Posted on 14-Aug-2016 15:18:11
#339 ]
Elite Member

@cgutjahr

Quote:
Good faith? I don't think so.

I see the same basic facts as you, but my conclusion is opposite...

cgutjahr 
Posted on 14-Aug-2016 17:02:51
#340 ]
Cult Member

@pavlor

Quote:

I see the same basic facts as you, but my conclusion is opposite...

That's hardly surprising.

But maybe you can explain to me how one party can say "will be released in eight months" and the other one "we looked at it, but it didn't make sense" with both parties acting in good faith? (I'm assuming you didn't mean to imply that Trevor was lying). Unless you're claiming Hyperion wanted to distribute the Netbook without A-EON?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle