Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
5 crawler(s) on-line.
 105 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  5 mins ago
 Rob:  46 mins ago
 pavlor:  56 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs 28 mins ago
 wakido:  5 hrs 36 mins ago
 bhabbott:  5 hrs 39 mins ago
 Karlos:  6 hrs 47 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  7 hrs 16 mins ago
 Matt3k:  9 hrs 4 mins ago
 RobertB:  9 hrs 23 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Amiga site reports Hyperion in bankrupt and A-Eon acquired AmigaOS (Fake?)
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
PosterThread
saimo 
Re: Amiga site reports Hyperion in bankrupt and A-Eon acquired AmigaOS (Fake?)
Posted on 15-Aug-2016 14:11:25
#381 ]
Elite Member

@Yasu

Quote:

Yasu wrote:
@saimo

What OlafS25 said. I have no idea who said what.

But you have been given the explanation here, and you ignored it, and did what I explained in my post.

Quote:
Also, I'm apparently not the only one who remember this laptop project. Not to mention the fact that there is a semi working prototype (I've seen it). So something was going on and suddenly not going on anymore. I'm not trolling, I'm just curious of what the hell happened.

And you got the answers also to that.

All in all, you are either not able to have this conversation, or you are trolling.

Last edited by saimo on 15-Aug-2016 at 02:28 PM.
Last edited by saimo on 15-Aug-2016 at 02:12 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
wawa 
Posted on 15-Aug-2016 14:44:18
#382 ]
Elite Member

interesting to see how another few years after something took few years empty talks and nothing came of it, everybody remembers it their own way or simply dont remember it at all, maybe because its too embarassing. few years in the futre this netbook will become a completely mytical entity, perople will have different opinions if it actually existed or not, in which form, and what operating system it ran.

pavlor 
Posted on 15-Aug-2016 15:38:29
#383 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:
interesting to see how another few years after something took few years empty talks and nothing came of it, everybody remembers it their own way or simply dont remember it at all,

Human memory is quite selective, isn´t it?

For me (and I´m sure many others), such netbook would have been only possible entry to the OS4 world, as I couldn´t justify another 1000 EUR desktop. It was missed opportunity and blow to OS4 market, as there was no cheap hardware for OS4 until Toni Willen introduced PowerPC support in WinUAE.

Bugala 
Posted on 15-Aug-2016 15:42:43
#384 ]
Cult Member

@saimo #377

If there would be like button, i would have used it for your post #377.

It was a joy to read how well you described the conversations points.

But I think what happened was, that Yasu bit of misunderstood the rules of conversation in this case. For what I think Yasu did, was to question Amikits comment in sense that he was trying to prove his point based upon his memory, and in addition there came more proof based upon others remembering the same way (actually i have a recalling of something about 500 eur laptop as well, and thinking of possibly even buying one when available).

You could argue that due to many recallings of the thing, it does give some credibility to the conversation, but simply from facts point of view, Amikits statement can be treated as a fact, even if Amikit would be recalling wrong.

Hence, what Yasu now needs to do is not to collect more recallings of 500 eur machine (like my recalling is), but he needs to dig out some hard fact, like a website telling about that 500 eur machine, even if that website would be quoting wrong, to get the conversation go forward.

For right now, even if there are 10 people recalling of "something" about 500 eur machine, it is only a blurry recalling, which might be coming from anywhere, as example, from someone wishing that it be 500 euros, and rest then quoting the same wish.

While Amikit have now displayed a hard fact "We never said that".

Therefore, either find where Amikit actually says otherwise, or find someone who is quoting that 500 Eur machine based upon "fact", be it a fact in the end or not, and we might find where the possible misrecalling of a 500 eur AOS4 laptop came from.

To help a bit, heres couple of links i found using google:

1. https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/amiga-os4-netbook-announced.64366/
2. http://www.osnews.com/story/25251/AmigaOne_X1000_To_Ship_by_Year_s_End_Amiga_Netbook_Announced
3. http://amigaworld.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=6117
4. http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=34459&forum=33&start=0&viewmode=flat&order=0#633775
5. http://www.amigans.net/modules/xforum/viewtopic.php?forum=4&topic_id=4910&post_id=0&start=0&move=0&mode=0&type=0&order=ASC

By just skimming through those text a bit, it would seem that story could be that Hyperion entertainment made the announcement through a spokesperson at amiwest. It also tells that they already had a working test laptop.

However, link number 5 shows rogues comments about how everything can still change, as it did.

I guess point was that they had succesfully already made AOS4 work on laptop, by otherwords, having a very strong proof of concept, and then it was just a matter of picking the hardware to make a production run of it. But before they were able to pick which parts to use for the machine, prices unexpectedly went up.

itix 
Posted on 15-Aug-2016 16:32:31
#385 ]
Elite Member

@kolla

Quote:

Why you? Because you're the one claiming Ambient and vfs makes this easy.

I didnt say so. I said vfs would be right method to implement your programmable filesystem.

itix 
Posted on 15-Aug-2016 16:54:39
#386 ]
Elite Member

@Bugala

I think yasu is recalling this interview (found it with keywords limebook under 500)

Quote:

The LimeBook itself is not a bad little machine, even if it is somewhat underpowered and the keyboard is a little flimsy. However, after performing detailed cost analysis which included NRE set-up costs, OS porting costs, driver development, branding, import costs and AmigaOS 4 licences we could not get the end user price much under £500 (VAT inclusive), and that is with based on ordering and pre-paying for batches of 1000 units at a time with a very minimal sales margin added. We think that is far too expensive for such an underpowered machine. As far as we are aware the project has not been officially cancelled. However, we are now leaning in another direction altogether. 

And what Amigakit said, "At no point has A-EON or AmigaKit ever announced a 500 EUR laptop.", is true.

It was supposed to be a lot cheaper but of course also very low low low end (Efika class).

fishy_fis 
Posted on 15-Aug-2016 17:56:30
#387 ]
Elite Member

@saimo

You seem to be reading too much into it.
In no way, shape, or form did Yasu come accross as trolling. There was simply a conversation happening where memories were vague (he even said as much), followed by elaborations once details were provided.

Given that this is amigaworld its reasonable to assume trolling, but in this case you seem to be seeing trolling where there was simply conversation.

There's not even an endgame in this case, which is the point to all trolling. There was no-one on the receiving end of any attack, no discreditting, etc.

Just came across as someone trying to retrace their vague memories through conversation.

saimo 
Posted on 15-Aug-2016 18:37:03
#388 ]
Elite Member

@fishy_fis

Quote:

fishy_fis wrote:
@saimo

You seem to be reading too much into it.
In no way, shape, or form did Yasu come accross as trolling. There was simply a conversation happening where memories were vague (he even said as much), followed by elaborations once details were provided.

Given that this is amigaworld its reasonable to assume trolling, but in this case you seem to be seeing trolling where there was simply conversation.

There's not even an endgame in this case, which is the point to all trolling. There was no-one on the receiving end of any attack, no discreditting, etc.

Just came across as someone trying to retrace their vague memories through conversation.

If I have written something wrong, prove it. My post is there and speaks for itself.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 15-Aug-2016 19:25:19
#389 ]
Elite Member

@saimo

Come on, this is silly.
Flip side is, can you prove you was right?

Its all assumptions. Neither one of us can read minds. We can re-iterate what others have written until the cows come home, but it proves nothing.
I personally have no interest in arguing anything here. We both simply offered how we perceived things.

saimo 
Posted on 15-Aug-2016 20:09:17
#390 ]
Elite Member

@fishy_fis

Quote:

fishy_fis wrote:
@saimo

Come on, this is silly.
Flip side is, can you prove you was right?

[quote]Its all assumptions. Neither one of us can read minds. We can re-iterate what others have written until the cows come home, but it proves nothing.
I personally have no interest in arguing anything here. We both simply offered how we perceived things.

Please read my post again: you seem to be talking about something other than what I wrote. I simply pointed out the way Yasu was participating to the discussion. Nothing more.

Yasu 
Posted on 15-Aug-2016 20:12:27
#391 ]

@saimo

I just want to point out that you completely missed my point.

My MorphOS Blog

"Free speech includes other peoples right to offend you."

wawa 
Posted on 15-Aug-2016 21:05:31
#392 ]
Elite Member

@saimo

Quote:
* spoke for themselves and A-EON (which, AFAIK, they are co-founders and partners of);
* did not speak on behalf of Hyperion;
* clarified that they or A-EON were not responsible for the announcement;
* did not provide information that belongs to Hyperion.

yeah, similarly to amigakit you bring in (certainly some) valid points, according to my OBJECTIVE memory, which im sure to rely upon, at least in such a simple matter. i already wondered whty yasu expects aeon/amigakit to spill intrnal knowledge (if any), what concerns intrigues around so4, in public forums.

yes, thera are differnet issues by different responsive parties, some of them are companies like hyperion or aeon, some different dedicated or appointed os (core) developers, some a wider third party, but what connect almost all of this is the label of os4. hard to explain such a cocentration of failure, while such a forgiving community support, except by some objective means. maybe design or social issues.. and the community or watching outsiders pack it all in one bag, as they ought to. right?

Last edited by wawa on 15-Aug-2016 at 09:06 PM.

Yasu 
Posted on 15-Aug-2016 21:31:15
#393 ]

@wawa

I don't expect them to answer. It doesn't mean I'm not going to ask anyway

Last edited by Yasu on 15-Aug-2016 at 09:32 PM.
Last edited by Yasu on 15-Aug-2016 at 09:31 PM.

My MorphOS Blog

"Free speech includes other peoples right to offend you."

saimo 
Posted on 15-Aug-2016 22:14:55
#394 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:

wawa wrote:
@saimo

Quote:
* spoke for themselves and A-EON (which, AFAIK, they are co-founders and partners of);

yeah, similarly to amigakit you bring in (certainly some) valid points

This is misleading, as I have not brought any points. The points you quoted are simply the full explanation of amigakit's answer - in fact, the whole text (from my post 377, which needs to be read in its entirety to fully understand the meaning of the quote), is:

Quote:

saimo wrote:
@Yasu

You first asked AmigaKit (): I'm curious: what made you/them think it was possible to make a 500€ laptop in the first place? I mean, confidently enough to announce it publically?
AmigaKit answered (post 362): At no point has A-EON or AmigaKit ever announced a 500 EUR laptop.

So, AmigaKit:
The answer was as complete and correct as possible.

By omitting the context and by saying that I brought some points you make it seem that I had added some information of my own, whereas I had not - as I have already explained in post 390, I merely pointed out the way Yasu was participating to the discussion.
And here I'm pointing out that you are not interacting with me in a correct way - it's the second time in this thread, the first being in your post 265 where you made it seem that I was suggesting that Hyperion failed to deliver because of the criticism by the community (which I wasn't).

Ability to understand, correctness of expression, respect, and intellectual honesty in communication are fundamental for a meaningful and productive conversation.

wawa 
Posted on 15-Aug-2016 22:44:24
#395 ]
Elite Member

@saimo

somehow you come over sore and nitpicking in insisting on that you be quoted within exact bounds you would like to set yourself. get accustomed to that, when speaking up in an open forum people may not exactly word the statements you want, and still not wish you ill.. what i have chosen of your post was for convenience not quoting a whole wall of text, and still im not making you legally responsible for the content. relax.

Last edited by wawa on 15-Aug-2016 at 10:44 PM.

TRIPOS 
Posted on 15-Aug-2016 23:01:24
#396 ]

@Yasu

Quote:

Yasu wrote:
@saimo

I just want to point out that you completely missed my point.

Saimo's posting style shows signs of Asperger Syndrome in that he fails to read between the lines or seeing the bigger picture that's not explicitly in front of him. Getting stuck in the details. If so, he will indeed miss any points that aren't explicit points (in its literary meaning) for him to find. An Asperger is kind of a-nal when interpreting words and texts. Keep this in mind!

klx300r 
Posted on 15-Aug-2016 23:31:16
#397 ]
Elite Member

@TRIPOS

seriously name calling now

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

saimo 
Posted on 16-Aug-2016 4:21:05
#398 ]
Elite Member

@klx300r

It's more than name calling: it's an attempt to discredit what I wrote by discrediting me. Unable to attack the message, TRIPOS attacked the messenger.

saimo 
Posted on 16-Aug-2016 4:42:17
#399 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:

wawa wrote:
@saimo

somehow you come over sore and nitpicking in insisting on that you be quoted within exact bounds you would like to set yourself. get accustomed to that, when speaking up in an open forum people may not exactly word the statements you want, and still not wish you ill.. what i have chosen of your post was for convenience not quoting a whole wall of text, and still im not making you legally responsible for the content. relax.

You did more than just quoting - but I have already explained what you did, so I won't repeat it here.
Just don't put words in my mouth: it's bad, even in positive contexts like the one of your previous post.

saimo 
Posted on 16-Aug-2016 4:49:19
#400 ]
Elite Member

@Bugala

This is just to let you know that I didn't ignore your nice post. I simply don't have any information other than what is being said here, so I there's nothing I can add.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle