Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 129 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OneTimer1:  18 mins ago
 amigakit:  50 mins ago
 Matt3k:  2 hrs 7 mins ago
 RobertB:  2 hrs 25 mins ago
 cip060:  2 hrs 57 mins ago
 sibbi:  3 hrs 6 mins ago
 blmara:  3 hrs 43 mins ago
 Karlos:  3 hrs 43 mins ago
 zipper:  4 hrs 44 mins ago
 pavlor:  5 hrs 16 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  tis the season!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
bison 
Re: tis the season!
Posted on 17-Dec-2019 15:16:31
#81 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:
Who is Brigid? Is she cute?

A quick search on Google Images produces mixed results.

Profile     Report this post  
fishy_fis 
Posted on 19-Dec-2019 10:09:45
#82 ]
Elite Member

@Nimrod

Quote:
In fact the bible is nothing more than an accretion of internally inconsistent and mutually contradictory plagiarised myths and legends, cobbled together in a web of lies and deceit.

+174,603

Blood to wine, walking on water, father giving his own begotten son, etc.

The Egyptians wrote it in a much more entertaining way too (well before Christianity/Catholicism).

Personally I kinda feel for Lilith. "God" seems like a prick. Writing his 1st daughter out of existence for simply being the person he made her.
What an asshole. And also the ultimate dictator..... if you don't succumb to my every whim you'll burn in hell.
I can't for the life of me work out why people would follow such a character.

MEGA_RJ_MICAL 
Posted on 19-Dec-2019 12:23:25
#83 ]
From: AMIGAWORLD.NET WAS ORIGINALLY FOUNDED BY DAVID DOYLE

@fishy_fis
@fishy_fis
@fishy_fis
@fishy_fis
@fishy_fis
@fishy_fis
@fishy_fis
@fishy_fis

Little assholes are annoying but huge assholes are charming.

Also, assholes usually follow bigger assholes.

Also, it doesn't matter what he did in the Old Testament.
That's all erased. Null and void. Check the New Testament.

Also, AMIGAWORLD WAS ORIGINALLY FO

Last edited by MEGA_RJ_MICAL on 19-Dec-2019 at 12:50 PM.
Last edited by MEGA_RJ_MICAL on 19-Dec-2019 at 12:49 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 19-Dec-2019 14:38:07
#84 ]
Elite Member

@fishy_fis

And where is the alleged Lilith actually from? Is she in the apocrypha? There's one undefined refererence to her in Isaiah 34:14. So it's a bit of a stetch to claim this was "God's" first daughter and the rest of it.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 19-Dec-2019 15:48:54
#85 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Yes, because she was written out of texts over time.
Im surprised she's not common knowledge.
She was God's 1st daughter created at the same time, from the same clay as Adam, but she was too promiscuous and powerful (God created her that way) and God, ultimate asshole that he is banished her rather than doing what a decent parent would. Genesis 1:27 apparently references some of this.

All loathing of religion aside, Im genuinely surprised she's not common knowledge..... the older the books the more references. Seems that they don't even acknowledge her these days.

wawa 
Posted on 19-Dec-2019 16:19:32
#86 ]
Elite Member

@fishy_fis

i wont really argue on that. my knowledge on the subject is certainly too limited and anyway second hand or worse. but to my knowledge lilith is a rather late rabinic heresy dated back to somewhere just about 5 century. its somewhat fashionable along with gnostic views and certainly aligns with some pagan or antichrist motions also quite popular today. not to mention it breaks patriarchal schemes so may be probably better welcome from feminist standpoints, christianity has little to offer, save catholic godmother goddess ;). not to mention it propagated through the media, among others thank kult series, like nge. but im not sure it should be made more than it likely is: another fairy tale.

Last edited by wawa on 19-Dec-2019 at 04:20 PM.

marko 
Posted on 19-Dec-2019 16:29:35
#87 ]
From: Gothenburg, THE front side of Sweden ;), (via Finland), EU

@klx300r

Hoho, here we go

m4rko.com/AMIGA

bison 
Posted on 19-Dec-2019 18:16:44
#88 ]
Elite Member

@fishy_fis

If God is the ultimate a**hole and banishes people, then why are you saying things that might provoke him? It doesn't seem rational.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 19-Dec-2019 22:23:44
#89 ]
Elite Member

@bison

Wow!
Seriously?
That's a real question?

Because He is a fictional character. An asshole of a character, but fictional, along with everyone else in that series of fairy tales.
Never see a movie, t.v. show, read a book, etc. where you cheer the downfall of certain characters?

Kind of baffling that this needs to be explained.
"It doesn't seem rational".

BigD 
Posted on 19-Dec-2019 23:54:51
#90 ]
Elite Member

@fishy_fis

Ok then fine... during the season of 'good will' why exactly is there even such a thing as 'good will'? If we all evolved from nothing via amoebas, suddenly developing a highly precise optical instrument human eyeball mk1 at a certain point in time that presumably is precisely fine tuned again due to another million to the power of infinity random flukes through a million to the power of infinity years, presumably none of this matters? It really is nonsensical to assume that “complex” life appears out of nothing in a mega-old “throw some more magic time at the problem” kind of universe where everything is possible and yet nothing needs to be observed to be true! Sounds like illogical unsubstantiated faith in a ‘enlightened’ worldview to me!

Maybe you've seen countless watches, computers and other complex machinery suddenly spontaneously assemble themselves or would do if you hung around a electronics parts warehouse for long enough with enough monkeys randomly throwing electronic components at motherboards while elephants waved around soldering irons randomly day after day for millenia? The 'enlightened' view of a godless universe assembling itself by chance demands a lot more illogical faith and far far far more bloody minded 'fingers in your ears' delusion than a faith in Jesus Christ could EVER muster.

I wish you a Happy Christmas because Jesus' birth, life and death for our sinful lives to give us hope in an otherwise hopeless world IS important and worth celebrating.

To quote the Emperor, "I find your lack of faith disturbing". And more importantly if you really are sure that we're all here by fluke, life is meaningless and there is no Bible based 'Moral Law' / Sanctity of Life or even any relevance to the 10 commandments, then why bother arguing here, treating anyone with respect or even get up in the morning? Give up it's over why care? The planet's environment is going down the pan, Weinstein will most probably get off, Elon Musk can defame a brave hero diver by publicly labelling him a "Pedo Guy" and get away with it and Musharraf can suspend Pakistan's constitution because he craved power above all else and yet can now live out a comfortable life in Dubai! There is NO justice without God and his moral framework and worse than that given no guidance or moral framework we would most of the time ignore our own consciences and choose a self-serving course of action.

A concept such as 'love' cannot only be explained by a chemical response in a human's brain! It has to be defined by considering God's character and making a choice to live with His help in a way that reflects His care and concern for a sinful people (that we are) who have collectively gone our own way, turned our back on him and even though we rage, fight and ignore Him, He STILL sent Jesus to die on the cross for us.

I pray that you read Mark's Gospel this Christmas and get a handle on WHY Christmas is so special and more importantly WHY we all need Jesus and WHY life without Him has no purpose, no hope and is ultimately leading to a confrontation with the perfect judge on judgement day where you'll have to acknowledge God's existence in the end anyway!

Depressingly, by that point it will be too late to call on Jesus' sacrificial gift as a way of escape from your sin in order to gain reconciliation to God. It'll just be you in front of the ultimate and perfect judge who will ask you if you've ever sinned and since Jesus is the only man that lived a perfect life I'm afraid you'll be found wanting! A Holy God cannot tolerate sin and a perfect judge cannot let sin go unpunished. Therefore, Jesus serving the sentence for your wrong doing (and we have ALL done stuff wrong if you look at the 10 commandments) is the only hope you ever had.

Merry Christmas!

Last edited by BigD on 20-Dec-2019 at 12:20 AM.
Last edited by BigD on 20-Dec-2019 at 12:11 AM.
Last edited by BigD on 20-Dec-2019 at 12:04 AM.
Last edited by BigD on 19-Dec-2019 at 11:59 PM.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 20-Dec-2019 0:21:31
#91 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

You're just making points that you seem oblivious to :)

As for Christmas and "good will",.... that's an, err,... interesting perspective.
Never crossed your mind that it's just nice to be good and kind to people from time to time? Doesn't need to be forced, or a reason. End of the year, spending time with friends and family and indulging in a little gluttony is enjoyable, and helps recharge the batteries for the upcoming year.
You appear to be of the belief that everybody needs mythical all powerful fairies to help them cope with life and the unknown. Some news for you,..... they don't. Some are capable of being happy and good people without an omnipotent force.

The watches/computers auto-assembling analogy was somewhere between weird and bat-shit-crazy too.
'Cos technology is perfect and isnt constantly tuned, refined, developed,enhanced, fab processes fine tuned and enhanced to then further things again ad nauseam, or the result of millions upon millions man hours of research and trial and error.

Your hyperbolic way of discussing things does you no favors; it just makes you easy to dismiss.
You're clearly not interested in a discussion;you're just attempting sermons, no matter how tenuous a segue.

But hey, far be it for me to tell you what to think. You're welcome to believe whatever you like, exactly like Im welcome to feel sympathy towards religious folk, their delusions and insecurities..

BigD 
Posted on 20-Dec-2019 0:47:28
#92 ]
Elite Member

@fishy_fis

You're right, I have no desire to debate with you just for debating's sake, but rather to point you to Jesus especially at Christmas!

The computers / watches / machines get designed by designers and creators using hard work, thought and sweat over planned periods of time NOT by trial and error over open-ended millenia using chaos and chance. By the same logic it can be seen to explain the scientifically 'likely' (and if referenced to the Bible faith-based 'assured') origin of the universe.

Creation points to God! No animal or plant is observed as reproducing and creating new and stronger species! The reverse is true; DNA is degrading over time not strengthening. While there is some minor natural selection within species and minor mutations of viruses to get around our immune systems, no new species are being created and DNA mutations are causing illness;

Source:
Quote:
But the mutations we hear about most often are the ones that cause disease. Some well-known inherited genetic disorders include cystic fibrosis, sickle cell anemia, Tay-Sachs disease, phenylketonuria and color-blindness, among many others. All of these disorders are caused by the mutation of a single gene.

Additionally, life cannot be created from complex proteins whatever scientists attempt and anyway where would the proteins have come from / where would ANY matter have come from ultimately to populate the universe? All of this points to a single point of origin and that common origin is God. Jesus was present at the start of time and it is only apt that he will be our Saviour and only way of escape at the end of time.
Clue: Jesus is described as "the Word":

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God (John 1:1).

The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth (John 1:14).

He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is the Word of God (Revelation 19:13).

Again, Merry Christmas and see how you get on with Mark's Gospel over the holiday

Last edited by BigD on 20-Dec-2019 at 12:52 AM.
Last edited by BigD on 20-Dec-2019 at 12:50 AM.

bison 
Posted on 20-Dec-2019 1:52:52
#93 ]
Elite Member

@fishy_fis

Quote:
Wow! Seriously? That's a real question? Because He is a fictional character.

Quote:
Personally I kinda feel for Lilith.

Quote:
She was God's 1st daughter created at the same time, from the same clay as Adam

If God is fictional, then he could not have created Lilith. And if she's fictional, then why would you feel sorry for her? Perhaps you're just being careless with your words, but this doesn't make sense.

Last edited by bison on 20-Dec-2019 at 01:54 AM.

simplex 
Posted on 20-Dec-2019 1:59:47
#94 ]
Cult Member

@fishy_fis

Quote:
Personally I kinda feel for Lilith. "God" seems like a prick. Writing his 1st daughter out of existence for simply being the person he made her.

I remember reading once that Lilith (as a person) was an invention of post-diaspora Judaism, and shows up first only in the Talmud. Sure enough, Wikipedia confirms this in its 1st sentence on Wikipedia. Are you really unaware of this, or are you being deliberately provocative?

Quote:
What an asshole. And also the ultimate dictator..... if you don't succumb to my every whim you'll burn in hell.

When someone goes to the doctor, and she tells him that he has to quit smoking / lay off drinking / eat less / quit having unprotected sex / some other change to his lifestyle, or else he'll die a horrible death, do you call that doctor names? Or do you ever think about why she says those things?

(The Hebrew word for "salvation" relates to deliverance from exile. The Greek word for "salvation" is related to the word for "healing". Same in Latin: "salus" means "health". Our modern languages have lost that, though "salvation" and "salve" still reflect it.)

Anyway, if you think the Hebrew God was such a jerk, you must really despise the alternatives the Hebrews faced... or else you aren't aware of what they commanded, how they behaved, what their followers did, etc.

wawa 
Posted on 20-Dec-2019 2:13:00
#95 ]
Elite Member

@bison

Quote:
If God is fictional, then he could not have created Lilith.

definitely. probably we shouldnt even be discussing the real existence of mentioned entities or lack thereof, but rather concentrate on what values they represent and what are we supposed to read into these. on this level the discussion might still make sense.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 20-Dec-2019 8:45:12
#96 ]
Elite Member

@bison

Wow.
Just wow.

You've quoted me, from a particular post I made, while *COMPLETELY* disregarding the rest of that very same post that answers this feigned question of yours.
And you're fooling no one that doesnt want to be fooled, that's exactly what you're doing;feigning a lack of understanding.

To repeat myself from that very same post:

Quote:
Because He is a fictional character. An asshole of a character, but fictional, along with everyone else in that series of fairy tales.
Never see a movie, t.v. show, read a book, etc. where you cheer the downfall of certain characters?

And don't pretend you're incapable of comprehending that cheering on Lilith in these stories is the same idea here, which I expect you'd have done had I not typed this.

For your sake I REALLY hope you are capable of comprehending this. It's more than a little sad if you don't, which is why I point blank don't believe your feigned ignorance here.

Last edited by fishy_fis on 20-Dec-2019 at 08:54 AM.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 20-Dec-2019 8:49:03
#97 ]
Elite Member

@simplex

Quote:
When someone goes to the doctor, and she tells him that he has to quit smoking / lay off drinking / eat less / quit having unprotected sex / some other change to his lifestyle, or else he'll die a horrible death, do you call that doctor names? Or do you ever think about why she says those things?

Not remotely the same thing.
Said doctor isnt going to have me tortured for eternity if I dont listen.

Last edited by fishy_fis on 20-Dec-2019 at 08:55 AM.

BigD 
Posted on 20-Dec-2019 8:57:42
#98 ]
Elite Member

@fishy_fis

Quote:

fishy_fis

Not remotely the same thing.
Said doctor isnt going to torture me for eternity if I dont listen.

Hell is the absence of God. All good things come from God; James 1:17. Therefore it goes without saying that Hell is a lonely, dark and yes torturous place. However, you really can't blame God for the living conditions in the one place in the universe where He is not the landlord and where He has specifically warned you that He doesn't want you to go there whilst providing the guidance and way to avoid it!

(Edit Reason: Spelling)

Last edited by BigD on 20-Dec-2019 at 11:41 AM.

fishy_fis 
Posted on 20-Dec-2019 9:05:25
#99 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Reality is the absence of God, but to each their own.

I also like stories; Homer S7:E21

Last edited by fishy_fis on 20-Dec-2019 at 09:12 AM.

BigD 
Posted on 20-Dec-2019 11:53:35
#100 ]
Elite Member

@fishy_fis

Quote:
Reality is the absence of God

Then you have nothing to celebrate other than pain, disappointment and eventual oblivion. Keep you head down the ostrich hole as long as you can or maybe you're just like Cypher and prefer the Matrix to the reality of the hopelessness of the fallen world around us. This is a broken world that required a broken Saviour = Jesus.

Eat, Drink and be Merry in sweet indifference to the Reason for the Season if you want! I've just sat through a Carol Service in a church where all they told us about the Christmas message was that when your feeling down God is someone who can pick you up and make you 'feel' better! What rubbish! The Christian life is still hard it's just you have purpose (worshipping God with our lives) and an assurance of Salvation if we repent of our sins and follow Jesus!

Yes, a personal relationship with the creator God CAN and DOES reassure us but that isn't the reason Jesus had to come to earth; to 'cheer us up'! God IS relational, wants us to call Him (Abba) father and cares about our lives but sin gets in the way and He cannot tolerate it and hence cannot have a relationship (or support us in the hard times) if we do not deal with the wrong stuff in our lives! We must acknowledge Jesus' death on the cross as atonement for the hurt, pain, lies, lusts, greed, pride and wickedness that exists our lives / our hearts or there is no hope and we become part of the problem with this selfish and broken world.

If we are not aware that there is anything missing in our consumerist and outwardly comfortable western lives then we are far more likely to reach for alcohol and drugs when things get hard rather than think of trying Jesus as a 'paracetamol'!

The reality is that Jesus is FAR more than a painkiller; he is more like life saving triple heart bypass surgery for our sick and sinful hearts!

Jeremiah 17:9 New International Version (NIV)

Quote:
The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it?

You have a need for God whether you acknowledge it or not.

Plumb - God Shaped Hole
TBWNN - The 4 Points

Again, Merry Christmas and let me know how you get on with Mark's Gospel

Last edited by BigD on 20-Dec-2019 at 02:56 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 20-Dec-2019 at 02:55 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 20-Dec-2019 at 12:18 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 20-Dec-2019 at 12:16 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 20-Dec-2019 at 12:12 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 20-Dec-2019 at 12:05 PM.
Last edited by BigD on 20-Dec-2019 at 11:59 AM.
Last edited by BigD on 20-Dec-2019 at 11:55 AM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle