Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
34 crawler(s) on-line.
 71 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Hammer

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hammer:  2 mins ago
 agami:  12 mins ago
 matthey:  17 mins ago
 ggw:  52 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 3 mins ago
 Matt3k:  2 hrs 15 mins ago
 OlafS25:  2 hrs 25 mins ago
 danwood:  2 hrs 50 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  2 hrs 59 mins ago
 Karlos:  3 hrs 8 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  OS4 now officially released?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
realize 
Re: OS4 now officially released?
Posted on 24-May-2004 21:17:19
#81 ]

@Uncharted

Let me ask you a question...

how many Amiga dealers do you speak to on a regular basis worldwide?

Not that many?

Than what are you basing your numbers on? If there are SO Many A1s out there why hasnt anyone posted the number? This is simple stuff.

If you call me rude and obnixous for posting the Truth then you are very disillusioned. It sucks to believe everything your told. Why dont you call some Amiga dealers and ask them how many A1s they have sold? This will give you some guage and reality.

realize

Profile     Report this post  
Hyperionmp 
Posted on 24-May-2004 21:23:03
#82 ]
Hyperion

@realize

We know exactly how many AmigaOne's were sold.

We had to, given that we needed to produce CD's for the all.

The AmigaOne clearly outsold the Pegasos I & II combined although not by a large margin.

Anonymous 
Posted on 24-May-2004 21:32:47
# ]

Quote:

Hyperionmp wrote:

The AmigaOne clearly outsold the Pegasos I & II combined although not by a large margin.

Hi Hyperionmp,

Well and !!

AmigaOne! AOS4.0! Amiga fever will strike!!!!!!

Report this post  
FuZion 
Posted on 24-May-2004 21:34:33
#84 ]

@realize

Oh come on man, give it a break. In one post you say...

Quote:
I just speak the FACTS..

and only a few posts later you slap up...

Quote:
If there are SO Many A1s out there why hasnt anyone posted the number?

Does the latter contradict the former or what? IIRC nobody has gone out there & blown up a number that represents "SO many". Your comment IS NOT A FACT.

Then you say...

Quote:
Why dont you call some Amiga dealers and ask them how many A1s they have sold?

Correct me if I'm wrong, please, but are YOU the one in this thread that SO desparately needs to know how many have been sold? No one else here seems to give a flying ****. If YOU so desparately need these numbers either

A) Ask every individual Amiga user who has bought an A1 & count them up (Add me on your list)

or

B) Ask ALL of the dealers (Personally, not in public forums) out there if they would kindly provide you with some figures.

Asking here is NOT going to get you an anwser because WE do not know.

FuZion.

WalkerNYRanger 
Posted on 24-May-2004 21:37:31
#85 ]

@Hyperionmp

Quote:

Hyperionmp wrote:
@realize

We know exactly how many AmigaOne's were sold.

We had to, given that we needed to produce CD's for the all.

And that was without OS4.0. I would guess that the momentum is now beginning to go more in Amiga's favor as 4.0 nears. I know that I personally have yet to purchase my A1, but am eagerly awaiting the full release of 4.0 to do so. And I would guess there are many others thinking the same. However I'm not sure if there are any people waiting to purchase the Pegasus. Not to mention how many current Pegasus owners may either want to own both, or "realize" the error of their ways and convert back. (That last part is just for humor, please don't be offended.)

DrBombcrater 
Posted on 24-May-2004 21:49:09
#86 ]

@realize

Quote:
Many people in the know (Dealers and devs) know there are more pegasos machines than A1 boxes out there so I dont know what to tell you or where you get your data.

As usual you're talking nonsense. You do not know anyone who is 'in the know' because nobody outside of Eyetech and Hyperion can possibly have any idea how many A1s have been sold, and any information from dealers is not worth anything because the ratio of A1s and Pegs sold varies wildly from place to place.

The respective sales figures of the two platforms are irrelevant anyway, as they target two different groups of users. Generally, anyone who buys an A1 does so to get AmigaOS 4 and are prepared to invest in an expensive, buggy motherboard to get it. I doubt many of them are interested in buying a different expensive, buggy motherboard that can only boast a limited degree of AmigaOS 3.x compatibility.

Zardoz 
Posted on 24-May-2004 22:15:05
#87 ]
Team Member

@WalkerNYRanger

IMHO, people should evaluate the options well before buying anything and not think
using emotions. For example, the Pegasos and MorphOS does the job I wanted
pretty well, so I bought it. I would be curious about AmigaOS4 of course so I'll
buy it for my Amiga, my budget is pretty tight right now, I can't get an AOne.
Every system has its pros and cons. You need the AOne/OS4 combo features?
Cool! Buy it!
You need MorphOS? Buy it!

That's how people should think, to make the competition between the two systems
healthy. So far it worked, advancing AOS4.0 from an emulator with 68k modules
to a full PPC native OS, and made MorphOS get *WAY* better high level parts than
the ones it originally had.
That's how it should work after all.

realize 
Posted on 24-May-2004 23:05:52
#88 ]

@Hyperionmp

Mr. Hermans. Thanks for your post. Would you please reveal what this mysterious number is so we can end all the nonsense. There are over 1k+ of Pegasos machines out there. And there is about to be a much bigger run to boost this number to over 1500.

@Dr. Bombercaster

I highly question your statement that the Pegasos2 is a "buggy motherboard" Considering I run mine daily for Linux, MorphOS, and OSX Panther and it never crashes and I've had 2 weeks plus uptimes... Also the fact that Motorola just ordered 300+ Pegasos 2 workstations means it is an enterprise level motherboard. The Pegasos1 was for sure bugged due to the infamous Northbridge. And if you come back saying this was Genesi propaganda you would be wrong as Motorola themsleves have the Teron boards (A1) and say they are bugged...

I hope for the sake of Eyetech and Hyperion (who I actually like) that the Articia P solves the problems of the "S" series and the Micro A1 is a success. I think the "S" in Articia S = SUX..

BUT

This is about OS4. You can thank Uncharted for the trolling tangent. I just speak the FACTS. I've been waiting 5 years for OS4 on Cyberstorm.

FuZion 
Posted on 24-May-2004 23:20:10
#89 ]

@realize

Quote:
Would you please reveal what this mysterious number is so we can end all the nonsense.

Haha! You're funny. It's only you. Are you not seeing this? Read every single post in this thread. Please. Name everyone that wants to know this number.

You're like a little kid that flicks a dogs ear... The dog twitches. Then you do it again. The dog twitches & turns sligltly. Again, you flick. Then, when the dog bites, you point the finger at the owner... And everyone that was watching... And EVERYONE that has a dog. AND... ... ...

Lets stop all these dogs biting people. Put all dogs down!!!

Quote:
I just speak the FACTS.

Stop it stop it stop it please! Everytime my brother, everytime without fail

FuZion.

Anonymous 
Posted on 24-May-2004 23:58:07
# ]

@realize

Quote:

realize wrote:
@Uncharted

Let me ask you a question...

how many Amiga dealers do you speak to on a regular basis worldwide?

Not that many?

None, but that's the thing. I'm not the one making the claims about sales figures or potential market figures am I?

Quote:

Than what are you basing your numbers on? If there are SO Many A1s out there why hasnt anyone posted the number? This is simple stuff.

WHAT NUMBERS? I have no numbers, I've never claimed to have any numbers. Try reading the replies next time.

Quote:

If you call me rude and obnixous for posting the Truth then you are very disillusioned.

I call you rude and obnoxoius because you posted in a rude and obnoxious manner. Reap what you sow.

Quote:

It sucks to believe everything your told.

Does it? I wouldn't know.

Quote:

Why dont you call some Amiga dealers and ask them how many A1s they have sold? This will give you some guage and reality.

Because I don't care about how many AmigaOnes have been sold. Why would I waste my (and the dealer's) time and phone bill on something so trivial and pointless? Do I phone around the supermarkets to find out which brand of toothpaste sells the most? No.

You STILL haven't answered the original questions I asked, nor have you provided evidence for your orginal assertions about the potential market for CSPPC version of OS 4 Rather than try to make me look ignorant, or brand me as a troll (both of which have failed miserably) try actually backing up your arguement.

Report this post  
DrBombcrater 
Posted on 25-May-2004 0:08:21
#91 ]

@realize

Quote:
I highly question your statement that the Pegasos2 is a "buggy motherboard"

The Peg2 suffers from poor Dimm compatibility, a kludgy AGP port, distorted on-board sound and various other problems. By any normal industy standards, it's buggy.

Quote:
The Pegasos1 was for sure bugged due to the infamous Northbridge. And if you come back saying this was Genesi propaganda you would be wrong as Motorola themsleves have the Teron boards (A1) and say they are bugged...

I know the A1 is bugged. It has numerous problems that I've ranted about at some length in these very forums. The Peg2, for all its faults, is plainly the better board. But that's nothing to be proud of.

Quote:
Thanks for your post. Would you please reveal what this mysterious number is so we can end all the nonsense

If you had the slightest idea of how business works you'd know that the A1 sales figures are commercially sensitive information and there is just no way Eyetech would permit Ben to give them out in public.

Besides, why feed Trolls? They just get bigger and more smelly...

Anonymous 
Posted on 25-May-2004 0:10:54
# ]

@realize

Quote:

realize wrote:
@Hyperionmp

Mr. Hermans. Thanks for your post. Would you please reveal what this mysterious number is so we can end all the nonsense. There are over 1k+ of Pegasos machines out there. And there is about to be a much bigger run to boost this number to over 1500.

Unless you are an investor in any of the involved companies, you have no automatic right to know sales figures. This nonsense exists only because people like you get fixated on the trival things like this.

Quote:

Also the fact that Motorola just ordered 300+ Pegasos 2 workstations means it is an enterprise level motherboard.

No it means Motorola has bought some Pegs, nothing else.

Quote:

I hope for the sake of Eyetech and Hyperion (who I actually like) that the Articia P solves the problems of the "S" series and the Micro A1 is a success. I think the "S" in Articia S = SUX..

Woah, what professionalism!

Quote:

This is about OS4. You can thank Uncharted for the trolling tangent. I just speak the FACTS. I've been waiting 5 years for OS4 on Cyberstorm.

Don't try to blame me matey. You were the one who brought the pegasos into this, not me.

Report this post  
Oppressor 
Posted on 25-May-2004 0:29:10
#93 ]

@FuZion

> Haha! You're funny. It's only you. Are you not seeing this? Read every single post in this thread. Please. Name everyone that wants to know this number.

You asked for it... count me in, I'm interested in that number. Funny, so it "outsold the Pegasos, but not my a large margin"... I'm trying to imagine a sales manager from Daimler-Chrysler declaring that "we outnumbered BMW in terms of sold units, just not by a large margin". And what has one thing to do with the other? I had the impression that the Pegasus was a faulty PPC board for running an emulator that was based on stolen IP...

Developing for MorphOS may be like flogging a dead horse, but why should I replace it with a dead donkey? (That last part is just for humor, please don't be offended.) Sales figures please, "so we can end all the nonsense", I agree.

DrBombcrater 
Posted on 25-May-2004 0:38:43
#94 ]

@Oppressor

You do realise that Eyetech could just make a number up and nobody would be able to prove if it was accurate or not. I think it's time for people to stop asking for something they won't get, and which would be meaningless even if they did.

Quote:
I had the impression that the Pegasus was a faulty PPC board for running an emulator that was based on stolen IP...

Muhahahah!

That's the funniest thing I've heard in ages. Thanks!

realize 
Posted on 25-May-2004 3:37:45
#95 ]

@Oppressor

Thanks for backing me up on that. I'm tired of hearing "We have more sold than x or we have many boards out there" The reason the figure hasnt been released is because it is very low. Thats the facts.

Here are some more facts

1. IT IS AN ABSOLUTE LIE THAT MORPHOS IS "STOLEN CODE" THAT IS THE WORSE CASE OF FUD I'VE HEARD. The developers of Morphos worked for YEARS on that project. Of course, since they are and were some of the top people coding for the Amiga they could pull off the OS

2. Uncharted - Thats just your problem. You are just some user. You have no data and no basis for your beliefs. I on the other hand have been a dealer for over 10 years and talk to Amiga dealers the world over.

3. The Pegasos does not have buggy on board sound. The on board sound is actually better than most PC motherboard onboard sound. Also, the AGP works great - yes its not true AGP but allows you to use AGP cards in a nice way. This had to be done this way due to the Marvell northbridge. HOwever, at least it can do proper AGP<>PCI bus transfers unlike the Articia S chip.

4. ATM MorphOS has better Amiga program compatibility than OS4. Also, there is a TON of Native MorphoS apps

BUT Yet Again this is all tangental. The point is when is the Cyberstorm PPC version of OS4 coming? Also, when is the JIT emulator for OS4 coming? I look forward to the pre release and how it runs. I'm also very eager to see the OS4 SDK, now that that is out maybe some nice programs will come out. Audio Evolution is very cool and Art Effect for OS4 looks nice. What ever happened to Candy Factory?

Uncharted - get a life and stop the fighting YOU brought this thread this way not me. AND i'm not trying to promote Pegasos/MOS on a PRO A1/OS4 site just correcting the false representations. You guys really should go on Facts and Reality and not on Politics and FUD. OH, and I'm obnoxious and rude because I ask questions and dont just yes everyone to death and so OH Great oh Wonderful?

realize

gary_c 
Posted on 25-May-2004 4:41:27
#96 ]
Cult Member

@Hyperionmp

Quote:
We know exactly how many AmigaOne's were sold. . . . The AmigaOne clearly outsold the Pegasos I & II combined although not by a large margin.

As far as I know, accurate figures for the Pegasos aren't public either (and in particular I haven't seen any figures from Genesi recently), so I wonder how you can say this with certainty.

Not that it really matters much, anyway, in my opinion. Other than some kind of bragging rights, what difference do the raw numbers make? What's important is the level of activity of different kinds, number of *active* users, the promotional and other activities of the OS/hardware vendors, etc., rather than raw sales numbers. I imagine we can compare these things, if people want to, later on when the two platforms are both in use at relatively even stages.

Even then, whoever is "on top" would probably do well to stay humble. It looks pretty silly to crow about a market share slice that's microscopic compared to every other OS on the planet.

-- gary_c

Bodie 
Posted on 25-May-2004 5:23:06
#97 ]

@Uncharted

Don't worry dude, with the near release of the prerelease some people see a precipice approaching .

IonMane 
Posted on 25-May-2004 6:15:38
#98 ]
Cult Member

@Realize

If you are speaking "FACTS" then please provide us with links, scanned documents signed by a JP and/or the other sources these "FACTS" came from.
FUrthermore, once that is done, you must provides us with a reason why these beforementioned sources are reliable....something more than an opinion as well.

The TRUTH of everything you have written is it is just so much used hard drive space on a server somewhere, and useful as nothing more than to idley waste some time as nothing you have said have you backed up, reference, provided links to the source, or in any other way proven your statements.
I think that most people here would agree that you cannot be considered a reliable source of information, or the statement you make about "talking to dealers" in any way gives you anything close to the classification of "expert" as we only have your word for it that it is so, and your word is considered suspect by most.

All that being said, it is my opinion that most pegasos boards were given away (most= more than any other section) to developers and whatnot.I could come up with a figure if I really tried that would be reputeable form BBRV's own press releases, statements and postings, but cant be bothered.
Those figures do not reflect either the number of pegaosos 1 boards that were "traded up" to pegasos 2 boards and so on and so just as a statistical representation the numbers you spout, even if accurate, are misleading.

So, if you want people to actually take any time to listen to you at all instead of thier justifiable contempt, come back with some "FACTS" that are easily VERIFYABLE by those you are directing your comments to, or simply shut up and stop wasting hard drive space and bandwidth.

gary_c 
Posted on 25-May-2004 7:08:59
#99 ]
Cult Member

@IonMane

Quote:
All that being said, it is my opinion that most pegasos boards were given away (most= more than any other section) to developers and whatnot.I could come up with a figure if I really tried that would be reputeable form BBRV's own press releases, statements and postings, but cant be bothered.

I don't have hard figures either, but having seen the Phoenix Phreeboard program from the inside and being aware of most of Genesi's other board donations, I'm pretty sure the total number of Pegasos boards given away is only a small fraction of the number of boards sold. Genesi had money to subsidize for a while, but not that much. I would guess the recent sale to Freescale Semiconductor alone probably tops the total number given away.

Quote:
Those figures do not reflect either the number of pegaosos 1 boards that were "traded up" to pegasos 2 boards and so on and so just as a statistical representation the numbers you spout, even if accurate, are misleading.

I didn't see what figures you're talking about, but their validity would depend on how they're presented. Many of the "traded up" Pegasos boards went into the free boards for developers programs, so the net result is more boards in people's hands, though not necessarily higher sales. I think, more recently, traded-in boards are being offered to paying customers.

Anyway, I think it'd be best to watch other vital signs for now; seems to me the products on both sides are too young to worry about raw sales, unless you're trying to balance the books at one of these companies.

-- gary_c

FuZion 
Posted on 25-May-2004 7:22:08
#100 ]

Hello Mr. Brick Wall,

Thank you for listening. I must go now.

FuZion.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle