Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 58 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kolla:  14 mins ago
 bhabbott:  33 mins ago
 Hammer:  34 mins ago
 matthey:  54 mins ago
 t0lkien:  1 hr 38 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 40 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  5 hrs ago
 agami:  5 hrs ago
 retrofaza:  5 hrs 39 mins ago
 Shadowrider:  5 hrs 48 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  New Amiga Inc. website!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
PosterThread
PEB 
Re: New Amiga Inc. website!
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 17:47:29
#141 ]
Cult Member

@Rudei

I'm sorry, Rudei. That was my fault for not making it clear to whom I was responding. Your's was the last message in the thread when I hit the reply button, and it automatically inserted "@Rudei" at the top of the message. I should have deleted the "@Rudei" and replaced it with "@Paranoid Whiners"

Sorry for the confusion that I caused.

___ Paul ___

Profile     Report this post  
mjohnson 
Re: OS four...and so forth
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 17:48:40
#142 ]
From: going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it.

@Rudei

Quote:
As for the news, not very encouraging for OS4 users and prospects; its all about DE, thats it.

We won't not promise to avoid refraining from ceasing to desist pursuing further development of a desktop OS.

goody 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 17:51:02
#143 ]

@mjohnson

Quote:

mjohnson wrote:
@Rudei

Quote:
As for the news, not very encouraging for OS4 users and prospects; its all about DE, thats it.

We won't not promise to avoid refraining from ceasing to desist pursuing further development of a desktop OS.

LMAO

Thats a good one.

Rudei 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 17:52:55
#144 ]
Elite Member

@PEB and @Goody

Sorry guys, its been a long, long week.

I must admit, there is a lot of negativity in this thread, its the OS4 users who are disappointed.

AmigaDE does pave the way for an exciting way forward...us poor users have waited so flaming long and I think we get a little on the unreasonable side when something doesn't quite go the way we want it to - having said that, 11 years of frustration is bound to spill over sometimes.

Hyperion are doing an excellent job, and I'm sure Amiga Inc in its new entity are working behind the scenes on exciting new DE products as well as hopefully trying to tie in the desktop OS and DE package at some stage during the future.

Lets give Garry and his team the benefit of the doubt - the t-shirts were a big step to restoring people's faith, lets see whats said in the IRC on Sunday - look forward to seeing you all there.

Rude! out

alx 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 17:58:27
#145 ]

I was expecting the "Amiga Power Platform" - loads of detailed intuitionbase-style information about the A1/OS4, and lots about Amiga Anywhere. Perhaps even a collaboration with Eyetech and Hyperion. I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't disappointed

First, the positives. The various subsites used to have completely different designs, and now it's been harmonised. The new design, while not great, is certainly better than many parts of the old site. Most of all, it proves that there is still life over at Amiga/KMOS

That said, the page look really isn't that much of an improvement. It'd do fine as the site of some small non-tech based company, but for a firm with Amiga's aspirations and tech-focus, I'd have expected better. Some of the pages scroll horribly on 800x600. The colourscheme isn't bad, but doesn't look breathtaking either. The header looks odd. Amiga deserves more; as I've said before, a certain competitor can manage to get a very professional looking website.

There's very little on OS4 and the A1 - but there's also rather little on Amiga Anywhere. They haven't even linked to Eyetech, Hyperion or Amigaworld, so if you want to find out about this new Amiga then you're stuck. I see that they don't support AmigaOS - I presume that it's now up to Hyperion and Eyetech to do any promotion

Anonymous 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 17:58:55
# ]

Quote:
Rudei wrote:

I said I was disappointed from an OS4 Point of View, that was it.

Hi Rudei,

I, personally, don't think that's it's very clear at all about the future of AOS.

Think about this, Garry Hare is going to go into an Amiga IRC channel, to push AmigaDE??!?!

He MUST know we'd be there with torches and pitchforks en masse!!!!!!!!! * one million!

I'm expecting some shocking news! (But maybe, egg on my face? )

Report this post  
Wed 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 18:06:29
#147 ]

@alx

The links are there, look again. Could have been larger/catchier and located in a standardised manner. But they are there. To Cloanto as well.

Anonymous 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 18:06:54
# ]

Quote:
Rudei wrote:

Lets give Garry and his team the benefit of the doubt - the t-shirts were a big step to restoring people's faith, lets see whats said in the IRC on Sunday - look forward to seeing you all there.

Hi Rudei,

Yeah, after all, they didn't send out T-Shirts that say "AmigaDE, It's all the rage!".

Report this post  
alx 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 18:14:31
#149 ]

@Wed

Quote:

Wed wrote:
@alx

The links are there, look again. Could have been larger/catchier and located in a standardised manner. But they are there. To Cloanto as well.

So they are. But if they're refusing to put any more on about the A1 and OS4 then they need to be way, way more obvious - "here's the company doing OS4", "here's the company making the A1". Most users probably won't bother to read past the history lesson to see what relavance those links have to the Amiga.

I wonder if Amiga could collaberate with IntuitionBase, to include a few pages like this on their site?

RedMelons 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 18:33:14
#150 ]

@Atheist

Quote:
it's working fine here in Mozilla Firefox 1.0 too

Hmm, I'm beginning to think I'm the only person viewing this Amiga site on an Amiga with an Amiga browser?

Aweb on my AmigaOne really doesn't like the Amiga.com site. It takes forever to load, then Grim Reapers halfway through. This is very unusual for Aweb. AmigaWorld.net, ANN.lu, Amiga.org, my bank etc are fine. It's annoying that the official Amiga site gives problems.

Ibrowse does work fine with it though.

Chris_Y 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 18:49:08
#151 ]
Elite Member

I quite like the change. It harmonises the site, the old one was a bit all over the place. However, most of the criticisms levelled at it are fair. Why is it a secure site? That makes no sense at all, and probably accounts for the slowness and crashing with AWeb (I think AmiSSL v1 is the cause of this, and it occurs on all secure sites).

They've removed a little too much OS4 info for my liking. Where's the feature list gone? You could argue that they don't want to promote it yet because (a) it's not done, and not an immediate source of revenue or (b) it has a lower potential userbase and less return per unit (for AI)

Hopefully the balance will be redressed when OS4 is finished. They also seriously need to get AmigaAnywhere ported to OS4, it looks bad having a product called "AmigaAnywhere" which doesn't run on Amiga's own OS. This may be another reason for not promoting OS4 yet (it would just cause confusion - "I bought OS4 and can't run the games Amiga are selling" etc)

I don't think AI are planning to kill off AmigaOS, and I doubt either Hyperion or Eyetech would give them the opportunity.

I'm sure we will find out a bit more on Sunday. I suspect a lot of people will be asking about AmigaOS.

Chris

PS My amiga.com/amigadev.net login still works but doesn't give me anything extra. There's not even a "view account" option any more.

jkirk 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 18:53:15
#152 ]
Elite Member

@Atheist

Quote:

Atheist wrote:
Quote:
Rudei wrote:

I said I was disappointed from an OS4 Point of View, that was it.

I, personally, don't think that's it's very clear at all about the future of AOS.

Think about this, Garry Hare is going to go into an Amiga IRC channel, to push AmigaDE??!?!

think this is what rudei was talking about. the lack of info not the future of the os.

Last edited by jkirk on 18-Mar-2005 at 06:54 PM.

Win•dows: n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

Seer 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 19:07:15
#153 ]
Team Member

@smithy and others

This seems to imply that OS5 (and possibly OS4.x) will not be developed by outsiders. I can see 2000 repeating all over again. AmigaOS is dead (again), although this time they may name a new version of DE, AmigaOS.

To me, it just sounds that it is not available for a third party because there allready is a third party that has the exclusive development rights for OS4. Nothing more, nothing less.

Folks, let just wait after the IRC ok ? Really, if they wanted to they could have "relaunched" the site after the IRC session... Think about that.

Last edited by Seer on 18-Mar-2005 at 07:07 PM.

glokraw 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 19:32:46
#154 ]

@Varthall

I just hope they port SlamTilt, Pinball Illusions/
Fantasy/Dreams etc to cell phones, so I can set
up a nice body and fender shop by the local
mega-intersection...in 150 feet, entrance+exit
from 2 major burger-flippers, a giant pizza store,
a jiffy-lube, and a huge bowling alley, with half
the city performing U-turns willynilly at any point,
because the interstate freeway exit only allows
traffic to turn right....maybe Genetic Species on
cell-phone, too. Bondo by the 55 gallon drum $$$$!

glokraw 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 19:37:57
#155 ]

@mjohnson

Quote:

mjohnson wrote:
@Rudei

Quote:

'But thats a matter for the Committee!'

"We AAHHRRRr the committee"

RedMelons 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 19:44:50
#156 ]

@Chris_Y

Quote:
Why is it a secure site? That makes no sense at all

It's fixed now (thanks to HMetal) and AWeb works fine

Jamie_S 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 20:13:56
#157 ]
Cult Member

Quite dissapointed personally. The site looks very dated, drab colours and graphics, poor use of the logos, cluttered/messy layout. A cleaner brighter design would be much better IMVHO...Ayalo's mock up looks very nice I think. There was talk of hiring a design consultancy if I remember correctly, I certainly don't think any such thing has happened in this instance.

Still shouldn't ponder too much on the cosmetic... it is always good to see some life.

@concerned members

The new site has raised a number of important questions... before we get too upset, wait until Garry has had a chance to answer some of them in Sundays' IRC interview.

estik 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 20:20:51
#158 ]
Cult Member

@all

Sorry to say, but

Amiga is dead, and one should not get excited by Ainc site upgrade.

Let´s face it, even if OS4 was the best os in the world, it would never be aknowledge as such.

Now, don't flame me

Naz 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 20:29:14
#159 ]

@all

waiting for sunday.

sombody knows what happened to zeoneo's games?

Cheers,

NAZ

Billsey 
Posted on 18-Mar-2005 20:30:13
#160 ]
From: Look to where the waters meet in the midst of the land. It is here! St. Louis, Missouri, USA!

@Lynx

Quote:
by Lynx on 18-Mar-2005 8:52:26

@atheist
Quote:
Hi Amon_Re,

I think it looks good.

I like the left-right justified text. Nice graphics. Consise info.

...sigh...don't you really have any sense of criticism..?

Well, I think I wish I could be so optimistic

I don't really have too much problem with the design. I just wish they weren't linking themselves to gambling.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle