Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 153 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

bhabbott

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 bhabbott:  3 mins ago
 matthey:  11 mins ago
 Hypex:  25 mins ago
 agami:  33 mins ago
 Matt3k:  59 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 48 mins ago
 amigasociety:  3 hrs 3 mins ago
 billt:  4 hrs 46 mins ago
 Rob:  5 hrs 46 mins ago
 amigakit:  5 hrs 57 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Any News or Reports from AmiGBG?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
number6 
Re: Any News or Reports from AmiGBG?
Posted on 25-Jul-2005 18:35:41
#101 ]
Elite Member

@GuruMeditation

Thank you.

Any word on our favorite disk utility program? I wasn't able to go to the show.

Best Wishes,

Profile     Report this post  
GuruMeditation 
Posted on 25-Jul-2005 19:04:39
#102 ]

@number6

I can give you this bit of text from the developer, it's more for the technical oriented people:

Quote:

Directory Opus Magellan

Porting an application the size of Directory Opus to AmigaOS version4 is probably a harder task than you might expect. Here is a shortlist of some of the challenges required to port an application that was originally written to use SAS/C to the new version of AmigaOS.

Firstly you have to convert the makefiles, this can be as simple as a few rule changes or as complicated as replacing the entire layout of the makefile into a different format. Often a dependency list of an entire directory contents can be replaced with a simple single rule. Sometimes, the dependency list is far more difficult - in the case of libraries for example.

Next you need to go through the code and rid it of the following keywords on prototype definitions, if the original code writer did not use the preprocessor macro definitions in the first place
( not an exhaustive list ):

1. __saveds
2. __asm
3. __regargs
4. register a[0-register_max] and register d[0-register_max] etc.

If you can handle using 'sed' you can strip these out with some practise, but in some cases the register keyword may be valid ( although actually still quite needless ).

If you have BTR dependencies, get rid of them, change to APTR where needed as a simpler replacement, where conversion occurs - it is now surplus to requirements. This is not a simple search and replace for applications as complex as DOpus, check carefully where BPTRs are being used and how. Simply replacing them with APTRs can cause run time problems.

If you have 68k assembly that you do not wish to port, build it using a 68k assembler and do not link it directly. Either bundle it into its own library or call the emulation directly on it. This was the source of many bugs, and a lot of work has gone into converting the 68k assembly into C code equivalent.

If part of your product makes patches to system calls, do not leave it in 68k format, it really is not worth the trouble. Do not make the mistake ( as I did ) of leaving some of the shared libraries as 68k version while working on the core product. You should port the libraries first!

Porting libraries from old style .FD files will take you either hardly any time at all, or more time than you ever budgeted. The decision has to be made as to whether or not to straight out write the XML from scratch based on the function prototypes you already have or whether to use something like fd2pragma. Either route you follow will involve ( on a large shared library -such as the dopus suite's ) labourious correction and picking through the header files.

Currently Directory Opus has been stripped of its part assembly language codebase, but still crashes here and there on AmigaOS version 4. This is most likely due to errors in the porting process at this stage - as the crashes all occur in the stack for what were the assembly code it is likely that the conversion is yet imperfect.

Either way, when attempting to port a large project over, the most important tools to have at your disposal are a UNIX style shell like bash, and all the goodies that come with it and secondly a large pad of paper and a pen to keep track of where you get to.

The second lesson to learn is to port from the bottom up, lowest level components first, as they often include the patch code that needs to be rethought, junked or upgraded. Rarely if ever will this code be left alone when you port.

It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena." Theodore Roosevelt, speech in Paris, 1910

number6 
Posted on 25-Jul-2005 19:24:17
#103 ]
Elite Member

@GuruMeditation

Thank you for the excellent "summary". It is much appreciated.
Quote:"crashes here and there" doesn't indicate to me anything that serious, so:

Have you entered product testing phase?

Best Wishes,

GuruMeditation 
Posted on 25-Jul-2005 19:26:34
#104 ]

@number6

It will commence shortly, once it's a little bit more stable than now. We will start with a few testers and as time closes in on release, slowly increase the number. Oh, almost forgot: Magellan will be out before the end of the year. How long before, we'll see.

[fixed a typo]

Last edited by GuruMeditation on 25-Jul-2005 at 07:28 PM.

It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena." Theodore Roosevelt, speech in Paris, 1910

number6 
Posted on 25-Jul-2005 19:51:27
#105 ]
Elite Member

@GuruMeditation

Understood. And a great big thanks again for the update.
Always good to hear from you. Stay well.

Best Wishes,

samface 
Posted on 25-Jul-2005 23:56:03
#106 ]

@shoe

The pictures are now online and available at http://samface.mindrelease.net/gallery/amigbg05 as promised. Enjoy!

Edit: Just a correction of the URL.

Last edited by samface on 25-Jul-2005 at 11:57 PM.

MINDRELEASE.net - The Non-Commercial Network of Digital Arts.

Samworks D & C - Professional Web Development (in Swedish)

Sharakmir 
Posted on 26-Jul-2005 0:45:32
#107 ]

@Rogue

It was great to meet you and your brother. It was a nice photograph at the banquet with you guys + me and my brother - two Amiga twin pairs at the same time. Very nice!

Congratulations once again to the international AmiGBG 2005 award - truly well deserved. This award is now a two year tradition, and it will stay a tradition with the forthcoming AmiGBG 2006 award.

Thanks for coming to our fair, it was very appreciated by all of us in the AmiGBG crew.

Only one year left to AmiGBG 2006 - the 5th year in a row for this fair.

Cheers and best regards,

Kjell Breding / Sharakmir

[Edit: typo]

Last edited by Sharakmir on 26-Jul-2005 at 12:51 AM.
Last edited by Sharakmir on 26-Jul-2005 at 12:51 AM.

Rogue 
Posted on 26-Jul-2005 1:08:59
#108 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Sharakmir

Quote:
It was great to meet you and your brother. It was a nice photograph at the banquet with you guys + me and my brother - two Amiga twin pairs at the same time. Very nice!

Hehe, yes, and rather rare too.

Quote:
Congratulations once again to the international AmiGBG 2005 award - truly well deserved.

Thank you. I was deeply moved, really

Quote:
Only one year left to AmiGBG 2006 - the 5th year in a row for this fair.

Best of luck. I hope I can come again. I really enjoyed it.

Rogue 
Posted on 26-Jul-2005 1:11:51
#109 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@hnl_dk

Quote:
Thanks ... It is looking great

And it's fast too. All effects are calculated in real time, including shadows etc. Looks really cool.

Interesting 
Posted on 26-Jul-2005 6:15:30
#110 ]
From: a place & time long long ago, when things mattered.

@Atheist

Quote:
I hope that Uncharted, Bobsonsirjonny, and DruidPoet come back (and some others).

as the terminator would say "I'll be back".

Time heals most wounds

Anonymous 
Posted on 26-Jul-2005 7:49:29
# ]

Quote:
Rogue wrote:
@Sharakmir

Quote:
Congratulations once again to the international AmiGBG 2005 award - truly well deserved.

Thank you. I was deeply moved, really

Hi Rogue,

If I'm not mistaken, you were given an award?

Congratulations!

So, clear some space on your desk, I'm sure more will follow when AOS4.0 is done, for your brother, the rest of the programmers and you too!!!!!!

Hi Interesting,

That would be great.

Last edited by Atheist on 26-Jul-2005 at 07:50 AM.

Report this post  
olegil 
Posted on 26-Jul-2005 9:14:51
#112 ]
Elite Member

@Atheist

Hehe, the award given (this wasn't clarified by Mattias when he handed it out) doesn't actually specify OS4. The Frieden brothers seemed to think that was it. But like Rogue (I think) said earlier in the day: "If it's released as open source, at some point me or my brother will have a go and see if it can be compiled". And that is something that should be honoured. They really do a great job at it as well... The award just says "for their great contributions to the Amiga community" or something.

I find it both comforting and saddening (at the same time, but for different reasons) that Thomas and Hans-Jörg are doing something like 30-40% (remember that 72% of all statistics is made up on the spot ) of all ports. Right about now would be a good time for any programmers who reads this to sign up on the openoffice project mailing list, btw

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

Rogue 
Posted on 26-Jul-2005 10:31:06
#113 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@olegil

Quote:
Hehe, the award given (this wasn't clarified by Mattias when he handed it out) doesn't actually specify OS4. The Frieden brothers seemed to think that was it. But like Rogue (I think) said earlier in the day: "If it's released as open source, at some point me or my brother will have a go and see if it can be compiled". And that is something that should be honoured. They really do a great job at it as well... The award just says "for their great contributions to the Amiga community" or something.

Well, OS 4 certainly is my biggest (and current) project, therefore I assumed this was the case, and I have frequently pointed out that OS 4 is a big project handled by a rather large team of 30 or so people.

But the award really came as a surpise (and shoe never even hinted at that ), and I feel very honored about it.

Quote:
I find it both comforting and saddening (at the same time, but for different reasons) that Thomas and Hans-Jörg are doing something like 30-40% (remember that 72% of all statistics is made up on the spot ) of all ports. Right about now would be a good time for any programmers who reads this to sign up on the openoffice project mailing list, btw

I must admit that I wasn't that active in recent weeks...

hnl_dk 
Posted on 26-Jul-2005 11:08:38
#114 ]

@Rogue
Quote:
I must admit that I wasn't that active in recent weeks...

But still, You and Thomas have been very helpfull from day one... have almost allways been responding on emails... and you have also both been very active on the different forums...

I think this is really great, and you have both earned your awards with hard work

Please send no PM to me, email me if you want to contact me. See you somewhere else.

miksuh 
Posted on 26-Jul-2005 13:37:15
#115 ]
Cult Member

@hnl_dk

Quote:
I think this is really great, and you have both earned your awards with hard work

I could not agree more

shoe 
Posted on 26-Jul-2005 14:10:12
#116 ]

@Rogue

Quote:
But the award really came as a surpise (and shoe never even hinted at that ), and I feel very honored about it.

Well, I didn't know actually I voted for you guys, but the results were kept secret for everyone except Kjell and Mattias.

You really deserved to be honoured for your tremendous efforts to the community.

/shoe

Zorro 
Posted on 26-Jul-2005 16:14:42
#117 ]

@shoe

Quote:
You really deserved to be honoured for your tremendous efforts to the community.

Fully agree...

samface 
Posted on 26-Jul-2005 16:16:58
#118 ]

@Rogue

Your humility is quite impressive, Rogue. How about if you just enjoy what we all seem to agree that you deserve? Just don't let it get to your head and keep up the good work, ok?

MINDRELEASE.net - The Non-Commercial Network of Digital Arts.

Samworks D & C - Professional Web Development (in Swedish)

nbache 
Posted on 27-Jul-2005 0:43:38
#119 ]

@Olle:
Quote:
@nbache

Great, i think you did a top notch work with taking pictures of all and everything, and thanks for taking my special ordered photo.

Thanks, and NP

Quote:
Looking forward for the sunday pictures.

Well, they're up there now, it seems.

@Toaks:
Quote:
@nbache

great stuff as always.

Thanks to you too!
Quote:
can't wait to see thoose sunday pics

See above

Best regards,

Niels

Rogue 
Posted on 27-Jul-2005 0:55:02
#120 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@shoe

Quote:
Well, I didn't know actually

Well, you obviously didn't know you are getting the national award

Quote:

It's always a bit difficult when you don't know beforehand - you cannot write that "thank you" speech

You where right, though, the flower stuff was a bit girlish

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle