Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
42 crawler(s) on-line.
 41 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Matt3k

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Matt3k:  4 mins ago
 Gunnar:  6 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  7 mins ago
 K-L:  8 mins ago
 zipper:  8 mins ago
 Poison:  14 mins ago
 fatbob_gb:  15 mins ago
 amigakit:  21 mins ago
 matthey:  31 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  50 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /  Thendic vs Amiga Lawsuit Trial date March 1 2004
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
MikeB 
Re: Thendic vs Amiga Lawsuit Trial date March 1 2004
Posted on 18-Oct-2003 12:07:48
#21 ]
Elite Member

@ gary_c

I also consider your comparison of this person with a "15-year-old delinquent" a personal insult. I haven't read that thread (nor intend to) but IMO knowing the various ANN regulars and their behaviour and then pointing to one specific person (or incident) is pretty unfair, especially considering there are enough other people posting there who could fit your description.

Profile     Report this post  
Seer 
Posted on 18-Oct-2003 12:27:51
#22 ]
Team Member

For financial reasons, I think. Amiga Inc is in a tough spot economically these days, and part of Genesi's agenda (as I understand it) is to paralyze them economically. The trial date has now been pushed beyond the likely release date for AmigaOS4 and the full launch of the AmigaOne. This should give Amiga a chance to breathe, and place them in a better position to defend themselves

Hmm.. I didn't think about that (If any of you read my comments on amiga.org).. Still, I think it's good for both A Inc en Thendic to get extra time, tho to be honest for us the community (red, purple and blue sides) it's not good at all. To long and gives troublemakers more time to make.. erm trouble

Anonymous 
Posted on 18-Oct-2003 12:35:18
# ]

*sighs* Here we go again....

Report this post  
Seer 
Posted on 18-Oct-2003 12:39:15
#24 ]
Team Member

sighs* Here we go again....

We don't call the Amiga World a rollercoaster for nothing ya know

Anonymous 
Posted on 18-Oct-2003 12:41:36
# ]

Quote:

Quote:
Yeah well judging by some of the disgusting comments against anyone who does not automatically follow Rich Woods or one other persons point of view on ANN I doubt it is good for the community.
Read the thread on ANN, how bitter and twisted..

...but I wonder if it helps to describe the situation in that ann.lu thread as you have done for readers at this site.

I think it is pretty accurate, reasoned and useful postings
are in the minority in that thread. It reads like a few teenagers having a row. So I think my portrayal is accurate.

However Darren should have known better, it does not excuse some of the hypocrisy shown on that thread.

Quote:

The impression created is that the whole problem is Rich posting the documents and then he and a bastion of cohorts flaming anybody who dares oppose them.

That is pretty close.

Quote:

About the topic itself, if Amiga has a case for its defense, then it should be presented.

Only a court of law. I don't go in for media trials much.

Quote:

If they have lawyers back on board, that's to their credit. Let's see justice done, and as quickly as possible. It's all getting very tedious.

I don't know if it is to their credit or not, I don't think it is against their credit that Shukis stepped down - we still do not know the reason.

I agree with you on one thing, it is tedious as hell.

Dave.

Report this post  
The_Editor 
Posted on 18-Oct-2003 12:41:45
#26 ]
Elite Member

I dont think HWGA would want to be associated with all this !!

fjudde 
Posted on 18-Oct-2003 12:44:35
#27 ]

MikeB Wrote:

Quote:
Now the resulting company Thendic/Genesi is sueing Amiga because it has not ported the AmigaDE to the Pegasos platform (AmigaOne rival PPC platform).

Everyone knows AmigaDE runs hosted. And AmigaDE runs on Linux. And Linux runs on Pegasos (doesn't it). That means that AmigaDE runs on Pegasos!

Or am I missing somethin here

Anonymous 
Posted on 18-Oct-2003 12:47:41
# ]

You are missing something.

AmigaDE runs on a specific kernel of Linux x86.

Linux PPC runs on Pegasos.

x86 != PPC

AmigaDE uses a translation mechanism to turn its version of machine code into the native version. This has not been made available for Linux/PPC.

Therefore, no it doesn't work.

Report this post  
Kay 
Posted on 18-Oct-2003 12:54:44
#29 ]

> Hmm.. I didn't think about that (If any of you read my comments on amiga.org).

I don't read AOrg much these days. There's too much blue noise for me now. :-/

> To long and gives troublemakers more time to make.. erm trouble

Maybe, although I don't know how much of a difference it would make at this point. Overall, I think the advantage of AInc having a chance at economic recovery outweighs the disadvantages.

Kay

The_Editor 
Posted on 18-Oct-2003 13:19:31
#30 ]
Elite Member

Yeah, I was thinking alomg the same lines as you Kay.

I believe (although I may be wrong) that when os4 is released the money will start flowing INTO Amiga Inc again.

Lets just hope they don't have to waste too much of that on pathetic lawsuites.

Seer 
Posted on 18-Oct-2003 13:28:08
#31 ]
Team Member

I believe (although I may be wrong) that when os4 is released the money will start flowing INTO Amiga Inc again.

Well, I remember that somebody said (Ben ?) that the reason for the increased development pace for OS4 on Amiga ONE hardware over CyberstormPPC was because partners/customers of MAI logic were interested in a "speedy" release... Wheter that equals future money soon for Amiga Inc, who knows.

The_Editor 
Posted on 18-Oct-2003 13:48:21
#32 ]
Elite Member

WE can, but hope.

Anonymous 
Posted on 18-Oct-2003 14:05:29
# ]

Quote:

gary_c wrote:

Also, pay attention to how many people say that they appreciate Rich Woods keeping track of events and posting documents, but don't like the way he puts his personal twist on things with his comments. That's how I feel, too, along with many others. Even if he thinks AI is evil for some reason, it doesn't do his position any good to do things like refer to Bill McEwen as "billyboy."

Indeed, it's this personal spin on things that causes all the problems. Seeing as all this information is publically available isn't there any way we can "cut out the middle-man"?

I do think it's all better off in the court room rather than being disected on the web, but as it's public information it'll always get out. At the end of the day though, surely it's just the result that's important?

Quote:

Yes, there is partisanship and way too much emotion involved for something that doesn't directly affect any of us but I wonder if it helps to describe the situation in that ann.lu thread as you have done for readers at this site.

It seems a vast number of people can't handle the anonimity that the web provides in a responsible adult manner. ANN goes one step further by creating a total viel to hide behind. This is what has made ANN a place where constructive discussion is impossible. It used to be a lot better, but bitterness and egos have taken over.

As someone from the "it's only a ####ing computer, get over it" school of thought, I find it very hard to understand the motivations of certain persistant hardliners on the web. I can't understand what people get from "agendas" and "trolling"

Quote:

About the topic itself, if Amiga has a case for its defense, then it should be presented. If they have lawyers back on board, that's to their credit. Let's see justice done, and as quickly as possible. It's all getting very tedious.

Which is more tedious though, the court case itself or the constant dredging of the subject on the forums? Will the resolution of the matter mean the end of this bitch-fight? Somehow I don't think so

Report this post  
RobertDupuy 
Posted on 18-Oct-2003 14:09:20
#34 ]

Quote:
Yeah well judging by some of the disgusting comments against anyone who does not automatically follow Rich Woods or one other persons point of view on ANN I doubt it is good for the community.

It's the strange mathematics of addition through division.

The reason ANN.LU are no longer as moderate in tone, is because all the Amiga supporters left those boards to start their own treehouse.

Why would there be any surprise, given that the most pro of amiga supporters have left ANN, that the ANN that remains is even less sympathetic than before?

It shouldn't be any surprise at all, and by the way,
it wasn't Christian Kemp's idea. I think it was
your idea DaveP, and others.

But, in any event, this is life, nothing particularly
worrisome about it.

I come to AmigaWorld and make my posts, as well as ann.lu and amiga.org.

I do think that some time, too much, is still wasted on fighting...but for most of us, we still don't have OS 4. It's going to take the product in a box, for us to buy...but when that day comes, a lot of distractions await

I look forward to it.

Delfania

herewegoagain 
Posted on 18-Oct-2003 14:43:58
#35 ]
Elite Member

Quote:
by Magic2003 on 18-Oct-2003 7:35:18

*sighs* Here we go again....

You called??

Quote:

The_Editor wrote:
I dont think HWGA would want to be associated with all this !!

Yeah Paul, you are right. I've discussed this one way too many times. Now I'm back off to work on my UT map...

MikeB 
Posted on 18-Oct-2003 15:26:04
#36 ]
Elite Member

@ RobertDupuy

Quote:
it wasn't Christian Kemp's idea. I think it was

Everyone makes such decisions for him or herself. It's not DaveP or any other making such a decision for someone else.

Personally I participated less and less at ANN because if I or someone else produced a constructive or positive comment there were a dozen (often anonymous) trolls in line to insult and discredit me or others. Sometimes even while the moderators present watched at the sidelines.

The reason why you won't find me on ANN anymore at all is due to the fact that Christian Kemp has asked me to leave.

In reply to a report written by someone who seemed to have written his or her first ever web contribution (normal messages even) under a certain nick, I asked this person who he or she was to validate the creditability of the report. As without a source there is no creditability to any report at all and we at AmigaWorld have been fooled by hoaxed ANN news before.

Due to the many hoax postings (some more transparent than others) this looked to be the only sensible approach. This also because the report in question was extremely positive about one presented solution and destructive with regard to the other. In reply to my question the almost usual behaviour could be seen on ANN and Christian somehow believed I was the cause of all this.

_Steve_ 
Posted on 18-Oct-2003 16:42:41
#37 ]
Team Member

Quote:
by DaveP on 18-Oct-2003 9:47:33

Read the thread on ANN, how bitter and twisted.

After the first 30 or so bile fuelled remarks, I kind of gave up reading further. It's now hit over 143 comments, but tbh, I just cannot be bothered to wade through them all right now.

_Steve_ 
Posted on 18-Oct-2003 16:49:31
#38 ]
Team Member

Quote:
by gary_c on 18-Oct-2003 11:55:30

Anyway, if anyone is curious, just start reading the thread and you'll quickly find a particular supporter who, among other things, says "there's a place in hell reserved for you" to somebody.

Which was only made after similar comments from the person he "attacked". In all honest the person to whom those comments were aimed has also done his fair share of personal attacking on ANNm so is hardly an innocent there, not to mention making his personal opinions clearly made at most opportunities.

warface 
Posted on 18-Oct-2003 18:10:28
#39 ]

Quote:
Considering all the FUD, trolling and rival staff claims with regard to the legal procedings at various websites this is good news for the Amiga community and bad news for the trolls and various rival advocates which have been proven wrong yet again. (For the how many zillionth time?)

Umm... Maybe I missed something. In what way they have been proven wrong? What was the statement this news item proved to be false?

Billsey 
Posted on 18-Oct-2003 18:16:03
#40 ]
From: Look to where the waters meet in the midst of the land. It is here! St. Louis, Missouri, USA!

The claims by Genesi that they've already won the case.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle