Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 81 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

zipper

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 zipper:  4 mins ago
 retrofaza:  23 mins ago
 pixie:  25 mins ago
 Chris_Y:  26 mins ago
 sibbi:  32 mins ago
 deadduckni:  53 mins ago
 Hammer:  55 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 42 mins ago
 BigD:  1 hr 59 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  [Poll] Hyperion or Amiga Inc: the users' choice
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Poll : Hyperion or Amiga Inc: the users' choice
Amiga Inc
Hyperion

PosterThread
tbrminsanity 
Re: [Poll] Hyperion or Amiga Inc: the users' choice
Posted on 11-May-2007 13:52:54
#21 ]

The key thing is that Hyperion has actually made functioning code that runs on some hardware (even if most people, including myself, can't get any of that hardware). Amiga Inc has done nothing but manage licences. To me that doesn't make them look good.

Palm 3.5.3
Computers:
Cymru

Profile     Report this post  
Swoop 
Posted on 11-May-2007 14:10:08
#22 ]
Elite Member

@tbrminsanity

Quote:
Amiga Inc has done nothing but manage licences. To me that doesn't make them look good.

They have only issued one, and they seemingly haven't managed that very well.

"There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't."

billt 
Posted on 11-May-2007 14:29:07
#23 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaBlitter

Quote:
just want to know who the users' love.

Salma Hayek.

Seriously, I'm on the side of the company that's been with us over the years, not the one that ignored everyone for so long. Yea, there's arguments to be somewhat unhappy with my "better guys" as well, but they have given us something even after so long. I worry what will happen if the other guy
s win. Regardless of what's legal or not, how do we know they won't go back to ignoring everyone again, and we won't have a second company to do something that we want? We know these guys and how much they care, they've spent years showing us that.

billt 
Posted on 11-May-2007 14:40:16
#24 ]
Elite Member

@tbrminsanity

Quote:
Amiga Inc has done nothing but manage licences.

I'll fix your typo for you:

Amiga Inc has done nothing but prevent licences.

MikeB 
Posted on 11-May-2007 14:54:54
#25 ]
Elite Member

Without Amiga Inc, Hyperion and people part of the AmigaOS4 dev team there wouldn't be an AmigaOS4.0 today. All involved parties seem to have more or less understandable yet conflicting positions and perspectives. Although it's sad it had to come to a lawsuit, something all parties seem to have wanted to prevent, but I think this was expected to happen eventually considering the different standpoints and interests. I am not for voting for or against anyone on this matter, just hope this can be put behind us as soon as possible without producing deep wounds to either party.

Zontrox 
Posted on 11-May-2007 14:59:29
#26 ]
Cult Member

I agree with fryguy but i also agree with MikeB. The only thing i can think of right now about Amiga Inc is that they, in a way, prevented the Amiga from disappearing completely from the face of the earth and Hyperion gave us the OS we were all waiting for. Instead of talking nonsense and writing stuff that probably wouldn't make much sense, i say only this... for now:

Why can't they just... get along?!

Last edited by Zontrox on 11-May-2007 at 03:07 PM.

"Would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one chance to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our freedom?!?" William Wallace (Mel Gibson in Braveheart

Gleng 
Posted on 11-May-2007 16:04:47
#27 ]

Quote:

zmurf wrote:
I dont even nearly have all the facts.. so I wouldnt be able to vote even if I wanted to.

This.

If I actually had to vote, I think I would probably vote for Hyperion. Purely based on past actions and impressions.

I've given up trying to work out who are the good guys and the bad guys though.

TrevorDick 
Posted on 11-May-2007 16:29:29
#28 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaBlitter

Based on actions rather than words it has got to be Hyperion at the moment!

nzv58l 
Posted on 11-May-2007 16:33:25
#29 ]

Hyperion, because they are the good guys!

firbodi 
Posted on 11-May-2007 17:03:58
#30 ]

@nzv58l

This situation is like a biological mother (Amiga Inc.) who abandoned her baby and a real mother (Hyperion) who raised the baby to a nice child.

Sometimes a bilogical mother (even if she might be lawfully right) does not deserve to have the baby, because she doesn't care for her.

Firbodi

PS: I voted for Hyperion!

Last edited by firbodi on 11-May-2007 at 05:05 PM.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 11-May-2007 17:16:06
#31 ]
Team Member

@firbodi

Quote:

firbodi wrote:
@nzv58l

This situation is like a biological mother (Amiga Inc.) who abandoned her baby and a real mother (Hyperion) who raised the baby to a nice child.

Sometimes a bilogical mother (even if she might be lawfully right) does not deserve to have the baby, because she doesn't care for her.

Firbodi

PS: I voted for Hyperion!

Well said! I'm still baffled how this could even be worth the legal fees involved at this point.

Amiga 1200

amygdala 
Posted on 11-May-2007 17:16:37
#32 ]

@all

I can't really take sides. I couldn't really take sides with the Genesi Morph OS stuff either. The real conflicts plaguing this community have been fought behind the scenes. Yes, there have been occasional windows into what's gone on and there has been no end to the brilliant speculation about the deeds and motives of various parties who have sought to do business with Amiga technology, trademarks and development. Indeed, Amigans are often extraordinarily creative and ingenious in they ways they apply themselves. They have spared nothing in turning these energies to trying to know and understand what the major players are up to. I am convinced, though, that most of the truth has been carefully kept away from average enthusiasts.

Further fueling desperate community speculation (in the midst of what is essentially and actually an information blackout enforced by NDA's), we have frustrated and angry principal players trying to publicly spin and manipulate opinion in their own favor which only compounds problems and generates more anger and mistrust. Yes, It is irresponsible, but in some ways understandable, especially if a business interest has been arbitrarily shut out from participation for personal reasons. In a small market you don't have the luxury to like everyone you do business with. You also don't have the luxury as the biggest fish in a tiny pond to bully others into supporting your vision. For survival you simply must cooperate. You might have to hold your nose - but you still have to cooperate. And that means (to some extent) you must sharecontrol .

It would be so refreshing if all of the negotiations and contracts had been more out in the open (proud companies working honorably together to serve a proud and very decent community). Unfortunately, competitive economic models in small markets tend to breed arrogance fear and mistrust. It takes extraordinary leaders to forge partnerships in such a climate. Rather than openly drafting common-sense plans and acting with goodwill toward partners, there is always an edge of mistrust and greed that develops when cash is thin and opportunities (though very real) are limited.

So, regarding the current conflict, I really don't personally care so much about understanding what has gone on or even whether ultimate justice is served. I know that sounds terrible; but it's true. I'll never be in a position to make an informed judgment anyway. I'll settle for basic fairness and I will have to trust that the courts can sort things out to some acceptable degree. I can only hope that the judicial system does not unduly harm the interests of the lowly users of Amiga technologies and trademarks who have been so patient and loyal. I we we had a lawyer in the courtroom defending our interests.

Today what I really care about is expedience. I want the parties involved to be committed to taking care of this legal stuff quickly because that ultimately serves the interests of everyone. Itt enables everyone, whatever the verdict, to move on with their business and their lives. Resolving things quickly is the best way to demonstrate respect the community.

Dan N.

Arnie 
Posted on 11-May-2007 17:39:28
#33 ]
Cult Member

@AmigaBlitter

I will not vote in this one as both parties have done wrong.
The argument that without Hyperion OS4 wouldn't exist doesn't hold because Amiga Inc could have chosen someone else to write it, meaning Amiga Inc were the ones to start the process. Without Amiga Inc, Hyperion couldn't have done it in the first place.

Rob 
Posted on 11-May-2007 18:01:52
#34 ]
Elite Member

@Arnie

Amiga Inc didn't give a stuff about Amiga OS, when they started they wanted to bury it. the Amiga community were about as excited about DE as they were about Gateways Linux plan. Amiga probably wouldn't have been bothered if it weren't for the fact that other "Amiga" companies offered to do all the work for them.

If it wasn't for Eyetech, H&P and later Hyperion, I'm pretty sure that Amiga OS would have been buried in 2000.

logicalheart 
Posted on 11-May-2007 18:05:59
#35 ]
Cult Member

@AmigaBlitter

Hyperion! They gave us more than what was paid for.
Lars
Houston, TX. USA.

L8-X 
Posted on 11-May-2007 18:18:34
#36 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaBlitter

Samurai_Crow 
Posted on 11-May-2007 18:20:07
#37 ]
Elite Member

@thread

I would probably vote Hyperion if it came down to it but A. Inc.'s plan to bring outside developers in without forcing them to abandon their existing user-base (aka AmigaAnywhere) is an excellent example of why I'm not ready to cast a vote one way or another. Sure AmigaDE stunk but the idea of it was good.

If you're about to disagree with me, stop and think about how little software there would be on OS4Depot if it weren't for the SDL libraries. SDL is an alternative to DirectX that is portable to many platforms and enough so that only a recompile is necessary to bring it to a new platform. The downside of this is that it's open-source code only or "contact the author" time. With AmigaAnywhere or Java or Python or LLVM or any other bytecode-based solution, the recompile is available to anyone whether or not they have source code to it.

--Sam Crow
Waterville, MN
USA

Insanity 
Posted on 11-May-2007 18:39:03
#38 ]

for those of you iconizing Hyperion read:

this

and this

comments?

If you are going to quote me, do so fully or not at all.
/Ins

A3000T 
Posted on 11-May-2007 18:54:49
#39 ]
Cult Member

@AmigaBlitter

Hyperion brought us OS4. They worked hard while Amiga Inc did nothing to improve the situation the Amiga platform is in. In fact, they (Amiga Inc.) rarely even mentioned the operating system they claim to own untill about two weeks ago when they sued Hyperion.

Kind regards,

Dennis

linnar 
Posted on 11-May-2007 20:13:47
#40 ]
Cult Member

I vote Amiga Inc

Result:
27% = Amiga
72% = Hyperion

AmigaWorld's new name is HyperionWorld!

"Hyperion brought us OS4. They worked hard while Amiga Inc did nothing to improve the situation the Amiga platform is in"

Is it a crime to have no money?

Last edited by linnar on 11-May-2007 at 08:15 PM.
Last edited by linnar on 11-May-2007 at 08:14 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle