Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 84 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 K-L:  7 mins ago
 t0lkien:  13 mins ago
 Gunnar:  17 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 retrofaza:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 Glames:  1 hr 6 mins ago
 dispiter:  1 hr 11 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 34 mins ago
 kriz:  1 hr 54 mins ago
 agami:  2 hrs 1 min ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  AMD opens up latest ATi drivers
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
ReverseGTR 
AMD opens up latest ATi drivers
Posted on 6-Sep-2007 8:26:32
#1 ]

On September 5th AMD announced that with the upcoming Catalyst 7.9 driver they will add Linux support for the Radeon HD 2000 series and other newer chipsets. They also announced that it will become open source and AMD is also going to disclose documention for the drivers to ensure developement support for other OSes.

Press Release: http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,51_104_543~119281,00.html

Christopher Blizzard's Blog: http://www.0xdeadbeef.com/weblog/?p=302

What does this have to do with Amiga? Well, once OS4 is relaunched it will be now able more than ever to fully optimize the latest batch of video cards.

Profile     Report this post  
stone 
Re: AMD opens up latest ATi drivers
Posted on 6-Sep-2007 8:33:10
#2 ]

@ReverseGTR

just a little note- they wont opensource the current drivers. they will provide specifications for all gpus from r500 onwards and provide a skeleton driver as well as a 2d driver. the drivers themselves will have to written by the opensource community.

/stone

Jupp3 
Posted on 6-Sep-2007 8:35:28
#3 ]

@ReverseGTR

Quote:
What does this have to do with Amiga?

Nothing?

Quote:
Well, once OS4 is relaunched it will be now able more than ever to fully optimize the latest batch of video cards.

What's the point when there's no hardware (ok, I could stop here, but I'll continue) that works with the latest ATI video cards?

Of course the release MIGHT contain code that's useful for the drivers for older boards aswell...

And it wouldn't help the forthcoming MESA-based OpenGL implementation either (one of the things still missing from initial feature lists)

Last edited by Jupp3 on 06-Sep-2007 at 08:39 AM.
Last edited by Jupp3 on 06-Sep-2007 at 08:38 AM.

ReverseGTR 
Posted on 6-Sep-2007 8:46:29
#4 ]

@stone

Hence why they as well as I specified it will be implimented for the upcoming 7.9 Catalyst driver, they are probably implying once it is out of beta. But aside from that, thanks for specifying which GPUs this will apply to. But thanks for alaborating on the fact that it will take time before a fully featured 2D and 3D driver is created.

@Jupp3

I am sorry if I may seem out of line for saying this but do you think I'm stupid?

Obviously, I know it only implies if OS4 is officially released once more with new hardware. However, this should not stop the current A1s users from getting a head start with these drivers considering there are plenty of AGP R500 core based video cards still being sold. And what would be AMD's motivation to suport Mesa when this upcoming ATi driver along with later GPUs will offer full fledged support on Linux or any other OS this will be re-compiled the possibility for supporting latest OpenGL itself?

As for it ever implementing Mesa extentions I only have three words to sum up my argument, open source drivers.

Last edited by ReverseGTR on 06-Sep-2007 at 09:15 AM.
Last edited by ReverseGTR on 06-Sep-2007 at 09:02 AM.
Last edited by ReverseGTR on 06-Sep-2007 at 09:01 AM.

Jupp3 
Posted on 6-Sep-2007 11:20:12
#5 ]

@ReverseGTR

Quote:
Obviously, I know it only implies if OS4 is officially released once more with new hardware. However, this should not stop the current A1s users from getting a head start with these drivers considering there are plenty of AGP R500 core based video cards still being sold.

Well it sounds like you know better than I. Never bothered following "the latest specs" too much, but I guess I was wrong assuming there wouldn't be any R500 boards compatible with A1 AGP slot.

Quote:
And what would be AMD's motivation to suport Mesa when this upcoming ATi driver along with later GPUs will offer full fledged support on Linux or any other OS this will be re-compiled the possibility for supporting latest OpenGL itself?

Of course when AMD releases the specs, it's very likely that the open source community will code fully functional open source drivers based on the information, with OpenGL support, obviously.

But what I meant was that the release of the specs themselves probably won't help much with the OS4's OpenGL implementation. I just mentioned "MESA based" becouse that's the official word from the feature list for OS4 final.

mjg59 
Posted on 6-Sep-2007 11:51:03
#6 ]

@ReverseGTR

"Hence why they as well as I specified it will be implimented for the upcoming 7.9 Catalyst driver, they are probably implying once it is out of beta."

No. the release schedule for the open driver and specifications is entirely unrelated to the closed driver releases.

"And what would be AMD's motivation to suport Mesa when this upcoming ATi driver"

Open source 3D drivers in Linux are all implemented as part of Mesa. This one won't be any different, especially since the r500 3D core is basically identical to the r300 one.

stone 
Posted on 6-Sep-2007 12:12:00
#7 ]

@ReverseGTR

Quote:
Hence why they as well as I specified it will be implimented for the upcoming 7.9 Catalyst driver, they are probably implying once it is out of beta

you are confusing the fact that the 7.9 drivers will support linux and the fact that they are encouraging opensource development of a new set of drivers based on the specifications and skeleton they supply. the binary catalyst drivers will not be opensourced.

anyway, its definitely a good thing- also for the amiga as we will be able to get proper supported drivers for our platform of choice. most likely it will be at least a year or more until this results in a useful working set of drivers though.

/stone

billt 
Posted on 6-Sep-2007 14:00:16
#8 ]
Elite Member

@ReverseGTR

It'd be nice to see the open-source part from AMD themselves... I don't know who that Christopher guy is.

Even if that is true, it's only part of any Amiga-related story. Will an Amiga driver have to be open-source as well, or can implementations be kept closed? How does that affect availability of the Amiga API and driver development kit? Do the OS4 API guys want their API exposed by an open-sourced driver? If not, does this do us any good whatsoever? Hopefully someone is looking up answers to this instead of just talking about how great open-source is?

-Sam- 
Posted on 6-Sep-2007 14:04:01
#9 ]
Elite Member

@Jupp3

Quote:
Nothing?

Not now but had OS4.0 been released it would have paved the way for faster support of the higher end cards.

Which wouldn't have been a solution in itself - like you say hardware would have to exist too. ;)

Last edited by -Sam- on 06-Sep-2007 at 02:05 PM.

Kicko 
Posted on 6-Sep-2007 14:04:38
#10 ]
Elite Member

@billt

Where is Helgis ?

-Sam- 
Posted on 6-Sep-2007 14:06:47
#11 ]
Elite Member

@Kicko

Quote:
Where is Helgis ?

Who knows? Are he and Helge the same person?

He had a very high entertainment factor.

billt 
Posted on 6-Sep-2007 14:07:32
#12 ]
Elite Member

@Jupp3

Quote:
What's the point when there's no hardware (ok, I could stop here, but I'll continue) that works with the latest ATI video cards?

1. Get things ready for when there is hardware. Why "wait" for ACK or SAM or whatever when some of us have workign AmigaOnes?

2. I have a PCI-Express X1950 Pro in my AmigaOne right now. I haven't tried it with OS4 yet as I'm still getting it up and running, need to get a keyboard/mouse as the wireless ones I tried are borked. But uboot displays fine. I'll find out more this weekend if OS4 displays on it. (I have a PCI->PCIexpress bridge adaptor from PLX Technologies) From my point of view it's a software thing, not a hardware thing. I'll have to try this with Prometheus and Mediator someday too, but my classic machines are not assembles either.

Rudei 
Posted on 6-Sep-2007 14:09:44
#13 ]
Elite Member

@-Sam-

Yes they are one and the same.

Rude!

billt 
Posted on 6-Sep-2007 14:10:16
#14 ]
Elite Member

@-Sam-

Quote:
Who knows? Are he and Helge the same person?

Here at AW.net I believe they are the same person. He wanted his Helgis account terminated but then came back under the Helge name anyway.

Over at amigans.net I think there is a different person that had the Helge account name before out Helgis got there, and he took the old Helgis name there, two people.

Jupp3 
Posted on 6-Sep-2007 14:36:54
#15 ]

@billt

Quote:
I have a PCI-Express X1950 Pro in my AmigaOne right now. I haven't tried it with OS4 yet as I'm still getting it up and running, need to get a keyboard/mouse as the wireless ones I tried are borked. But uboot displays fine. I'll find out more this weekend if OS4 displays on it. (I have a PCI->PCIexpress bridge adaptor from PLX Technologies)

That's something I didn't even think of, but I guess that that way you should be able to at least connect a new gfx card to A1. Definitely not optimal, but "with what we have".

Of course the "software side" is a totally different story, but now it makes more sense

A bit like using AGP riser with Efika. Sure, you can't get full AGP speed and PCI cards would do just fine. But the reality is that AGP cards are easier to find.

-Sam- 
Posted on 6-Sep-2007 15:46:53
#16 ]
Elite Member

@Rudei

Ah! That makes sense.

-Sam- 
Posted on 6-Sep-2007 15:47:50
#17 ]
Elite Member

@billt

Quote:
Over at amigans.net I think there is a different person that had the Helge

That's why I stay here - it's less complicated. ;)

Hans 
Posted on 6-Sep-2007 16:02:40
#18 ]
Elite Member

@billt

Quote:

billt wrote:
2. I have a PCI-Express X1950 Pro in my AmigaOne right now. I haven't tried it with OS4 yet as I'm still getting it up and running, need to get a keyboard/mouse as the wireless ones I tried are borked. But uboot displays fine. I'll find out more this weekend if OS4 displays on it. (I have a PCI->PCIexpress bridge adaptor from PLX Technologies) From my point of view it's a software thing, not a hardware thing. I'll have to try this with Prometheus and Mediator someday too, but my classic machines are not assembles either.

Are those bridges available in general, or just in development kit form? I wouldn't mind experimenting a little, except all the newer cards that have AGP don't support AGP2x voltages, and all the bridge cards I've seen are expensive development kit models.

Hans

billt 
Posted on 6-Sep-2007 16:23:16
#19 ]
Elite Member

@Hans

I've posted links to the bridge before. Costs about $500 I think. I'm pretty sure you'd want the "reverse" version, not the "forward". You might check with PLX to make sure www.plxtech.com This thing is a development kit for people wanting to use this bridge chip in a system design.

http://www.semiconductorstore.com/pages/asp/item.asp?ItemNumber=8111RDK-R

Some time ago olegil was wanting to make a cheaper version of this, perhaps with a switch to alow multiple PCI-Express slots instead of just the one, but I've never seen if that happened or not.

Last edited by billt on 06-Sep-2007 at 04:25 PM.

Hans 
Posted on 6-Sep-2007 16:54:26
#20 ]
Elite Member

@billt

You may have posted those links before. I remember seeing links to such hardware, but couldn't find them. It's way outside my budget so I'll have to wait until someone makes an Amiga with PCI-Express (if that ever happens).

Hans

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle