Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
31 crawler(s) on-line.
 89 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kolla:  7 mins ago
 matthey:  14 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  15 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 8 mins ago
 sibbi:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 billt:  1 hr 23 mins ago
 t0lkien:  1 hr 25 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 30 mins ago
 Gunnar:  2 hrs 4 mins ago
 Frank:  2 hrs 11 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Fixed:Got my copy of OS4.1 for SAM today from my dealer but still waiting for my SAM
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
TiredofLife 
Re: Got my copy of OS4.1 for SAM today from AmigaKit but still waiting for my SAM
Posted on 21-Nov-2008 12:24:39
#21 ]

With all the negativity surrounding the Sam, in a way, it's good to see threads like this.
Show there is quite a bit of support for Sam as well.

Don't worry about Amigakit, they will get your board to you as soon as they can.
Not only are they reliable but they are fast as well.

Bought my Sam from them as well as many other bit and pieces over the year.

Profile     Report this post  
Dwyloc 
Re: Got my copy of OS4.1 for SAM today from AmigaKit but still waiting for my SAM
Posted on 21-Nov-2008 13:30:27
#22 ]

@TiredofLife
Quote:
With all the negativity surrounding the Sam, in a way, it's good to see threads like this. Show there is quite a bit of support for Sam as well.

Well as someone how prefers to have a small quiet or silent PC over a faster but louder one and who has been very happy with the performance of VIA's C3 basted mini-itx board I am perfectly happy with the specification of the SAM440 boards.

To be useful to me the main requirements it has to meet is it has to be up to playing my music in mp3's, ogg format, running rdesktop to access my Windows PC remotely and run my older Amiga Applications like ImageFX4 as fast or faster than my old BlizzardPPC 060 equipped A1200 Tower.

I am not in the market for a full sized Amiga tower with a lots of cooling fan that takes up loads of space I don't have.

A SAM440 can replace my existing Epia-M 10000 box I currently have in the bedroom as between debian linux and OS4 it will run the software I need. What a lot of people seem to be forgetting is that for a lot of people looking to purchase new Amigas they are looking for a second computer to complement their existing Windows PC or MAC not replace then.

The no moving parts on the SAM440 motherboard is also a big selling point for me as I may opt to move over to a solid state hard disk at some point in the future for a totally silent computer but I already have spare 2.5" S-ATA HDs so I will use them for now until I see how OS4.1 works out.

4MB Minimig with ARM addon boar

robo-ant 
Posted on 21-Nov-2008 13:48:59
#23 ]

The date for OS4.1 for SAM was November 20th, but it is now listed as "overdue".

I ordered my SAM + OS4.1 from AmigaKit ten days ago. It's been a little frustrating seeing the date slip on the SAM twice since I made the purchase, but I know that ACube and AmigaKit both have good reputations so I'm not (very) worried about losing my money.

I haven't been buying the other parts that I need yet, though. I'll wait until the SAM is in my hands before I get the power supply, case, SATA drives, USB keyboard & mouse. I don't have any of that stuff because I don't have any computers modern enough to use them, so this SAM will be a real technological leap for me.

In the meantime, I'm still happily using Amithlon at home, and switching back occasionally to my A3000 for games. My Amithlon box is not fast enough for E-UAE, so I hope the SAM can emulate the old hardware a little faster. It's OK if it doesn't, though. I just want to run OS4!

RuDeE 
Posted on 21-Nov-2008 13:56:17
#24 ]

I placed my order at AmigaKit in late September. Still haven't seen anything of either OS4.1 or SAM.

Last edited by RuDeE on 21-Nov-2008 at 02:00 PM.

TiredofLife 
Posted on 21-Nov-2008 14:05:44
#25 ]

@Dwyloc

I've got a towered A1200 full of expansions and appropriate cooling.

Decided to go the opposite direction for the Sam.
Got a Micro ATX case with room for one PCI card using a riser, one slimline DVD rewriter and one 3.5 sata HD.

It's very quiet and portable.
I take it out of my computer room into the living room on occasion.
That's not something I could easily do with the A1200 due to it's size and weight.

The only noise comes from the case fans, 4 cm x 2 ( Sleeve Type ).
Could probably disconnect them but it's hardly worth it as they are really quiet.

Don't even hear sound from the hd.

It's my guess that once you have yours up and running, you probably wont see the need to replace your current hds.

The Sam will run rings round your blizzard.

I have a BPPC166mhz in my A1200.
Playing mp3s at decent quality was not a problem as long as I didn't try to do too much else.
Most youtube videos had to be converted to mpg format to be watchable.

Not an issue with Sam.
I have had Tunenet streaming music off the internet, whilst browsing, downloading and unpacking files all at the same time as playing a game. (Doom in a window for instance)

The only difficulty I have is not enough eyes and hands.

Played Netpanzer and Battle for Wesnoth on an A1200 and they are playable.

So much quicker and smoother with a Sam though.

Dwyloc 
Posted on 21-Nov-2008 14:16:18
#26 ]

Well when the next patch of board ship from AmigaKit it looks like there will be a few of us which is always nice that way if any of us are having problems finding our way around there will be more people to ask for help how have just set things up recently so should remember what they did to fix the problem

Its also nice to know that there are a few of use waiting for our orders rather than being on our own.

Dwyloc 
Posted on 21-Nov-2008 14:45:30
#27 ]

@TiredofLife
Quote:

TiredofLife wrote:
I've got a towered A1200 full of expansions and appropriate cooling.
[snip]

The Sam will run rings round your blizzard.

I have a BPPC166mhz in my A1200.
Playing mp3s at decent quality was not a problem as long as I didn't try to do too much else.

My blizzardPPC is clocked at 200Mhz and has an 060 as well an plays back mp3 not to badly and about as well as my AMD K6-2 233Mhz I had as a my desktop PC back when I first purchased my BlizzardPPC. The big issue is its just not as stable as it used to be these day and between my BlizzardPPC, IBM SCSI HD (that runs so hot without cooling that it will blister your fingers) and Voodoo3 card which need quite a lot of cooling its not very quiet and I quite often find my self shutting it down as its making to much noise.

When I built my current desktop PC I put quite a lot of effort into selecting as quiet a setup as possible so I purchased A number of low noise and passively cooled part the result is you cant really here it running in the living room if you have the TV on or are playing music quietly but I still would not want it in my bed room as it takes up a bit to much space.

Hopefully my SAM44 when it arrives will run most of my PPC Amiga software and old 68K applications faster than my old A1200Tower but without the noise and as you said with the added bonus of being far more portable. Thats already proven to be one of the best points about my Minimig as I have taken it round to friends to play on a number of occasions.

RockDemon 
Posted on 21-Nov-2008 15:04:28
#28 ]

@Dwyloc

definitely good to know i'm not on my own yes :o)

Case
PSU
A600 case + Keyrah
Compact flash + SATA adapter
laptop SATA DVD writer
OS4.1....

Only the one vital component left :o)

Even if it arrived tomorrow i wouldnt be able to play with it till the house move is all finished anyhow....

Rich

Dwyloc 
Posted on 21-Nov-2008 15:54:25
#29 ]

@RockDemon
Quote:
A600 case + Keyrah

I have a Keyrah as well I was going to use it with my old A1200 keyboard and an A1200 case
that I have left over after towering my A1200 many years ago but I have not yet got round to it.

I did test it at work with a work PC and a A1200 keyboard I had in my parts bin and it seemed to work quite well, but I like my Logitech bluetooth keyboard I use on my desktop PC to much to replace it with an A1200 keyboard.

I would be interested to here how you get on with it and OS4 as I doubt their will be a keyboard mode for it.

gerograph 
Posted on 21-Nov-2008 16:13:39
#30 ]
Cult Member

Hi,

i just ordered my SAM yesterday. My dealer has still SAM Boards available (probably from the first batch) but only bundled with AOS4.1. as you can see on his website The Pope ) So you better be fast. My (second last) board is due by end of next week, because I wanted a psile case which my dealer had not listed, so he has to order it I think in the Netherlands, which causes the delay. So, we will see.... I keep you informed.

www.geomarketing-consultant.de

Dwyloc 
Posted on 21-Nov-2008 16:19:56
#31 ]

@gerograph

Thanks for the information but as I already have my copy of OS4.1 from AmigaKit and I have also already paid for my SAM ordering from another dealer is to really an option for me. But someone else looking for one and a SAM440 may find your post useful.

Anyway let us all know how you get on when your new system arrives.

Phantom 
Posted on 21-Nov-2008 16:21:17
#32 ]
Elite Member

@Dwyloc

Link isn't working. Maybe Alinea's server is down?

gerograph 
Posted on 21-Nov-2008 16:39:19
#33 ]
Cult Member

@Phantom

Yes, seems server is down... but I phoned to them yesterday.

www.geomarketing-consultant.de

RockDemon 
Posted on 21-Nov-2008 16:48:57
#34 ]

@Dwyloc

I'll be sure to let everybody know :o)

We cant have windows keys on a keyboard now - that would surely be wrong ;o)

Tomas 
Posted on 21-Nov-2008 17:03:53
#35 ]
Elite Member

@Dwyloc
Still says out of stock on OS4.1.. I ordered a sam from amigakit just a few days ago, but did not bother to order OS4.1 yet since it is out of stock according to the website..

Phantom 
Posted on 21-Nov-2008 17:09:18
#36 ]
Elite Member

@Tomas

It's better to pre-order then. Because if you will order it when it will be available it will take long time.

bert64 
Posted on 21-Nov-2008 17:31:27
#37 ]

@Tomas

Out of stock for software is pretty stupid...
If they have no boxed copies, once you order they should send you a CDR that you can use immediately, and send you the boxed copy once they receive some.

stew 
Posted on 21-Nov-2008 21:15:35
#38 ]

@fairlanefastback

[quote]Its a frigging hobby market. We are lucky they even bother. No one there will get rich over this. Since they are bothering people deserve good service nonetheless. But you are being unreasonable, to put it mildly.[/quote

Poor excuse for bad business practices. That is the attitude that got us where we are today. It is not a "cheap" hobby market by any stretch. This is not a shareware/freeware with give away hardware prices.

Hopefully this will all be behind us pending the outcome yesterday.

sundown 
Posted on 22-Nov-2008 6:22:13
#39 ]
Elite Member

@stew

Quote:
Poor excuse for bad business practices.

Dealers don't get a free ride, they have to pay up front with every order submitted. Lets see, 100 Sams would be abour 47,500 euros, 100 OS4.1 copies would be about 10,500 euros, 58,000 euros total. Now tell me how any small time dealers have that much to risk just so you don't have to wait?

This is a small time hobby market & pre-order is the only way dealers can do business without going broke. Every Sam board & os4 disk should be considered custom made by pre-order.

Last edited by sundown on 22-Nov-2008 at 07:07 AM.

webhead 
Posted on 22-Nov-2008 23:10:02
#40 ]

i think its a bit of a cheak when the amiga was made huge by british people then when new hardware comes out the yanks get it first ,what a cheek you should be last in the que.

we made it great and its ours so hands off them sam440,s were first.

go play with your snes.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle