Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
13 crawler(s) on-line.
 72 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 wakido:  1 hr 26 mins ago
 bhabbott:  1 hr 29 mins ago
 Karlos:  2 hrs 36 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  3 hrs 5 mins ago
 amigakit:  3 hrs 37 mins ago
 Matt3k:  4 hrs 54 mins ago
 RobertB:  5 hrs 12 mins ago
 cip060:  5 hrs 44 mins ago
 sibbi:  5 hrs 53 mins ago
 blmara:  6 hrs 31 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Alt Amiga OS
      /  AROS on SAM440
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Mrodfr 
AROS on SAM440
Posted on 5-Aug-2010 6:51:51
#1 ]

Hello,

I have copied to CDRW the July ISO image and made some tests on my SAM440.

The liveCD boot fine but need to choose a resolution for a good screenmode. if not doing that, window border have no gadgets and wrong colors on the aros workbench screen.

I have mainly tested poseidon for USB2. the medias inserted are recognized USB 2.0 but no icons on the AROS workbench. I haven't found how to have medias icons on the workbench.

maybe the FAT.handler isn't correctly handled when booting from the LiveCD.

BTW, if an aros expert could give some advice to have icons for USB medias inserted, with aros. Fully appreciated

-A1200+Mediator+VooDoo3+060/50+96mo+SCSI-KIT
-SAM440EP-667mhz-on MapowerKC3000+AOS4.1

Amiga Docs Disks Preservation Project

Profile     Report this post  
Spirantho 
Re: AROS on SAM440
Posted on 5-Aug-2010 9:09:51
#2 ]

@Mrodfr

I don't know about AROS and USB, but I do know that an old version of afs.handler didn't update Wanderer (the Workbench-alike) correctly. It seems you're likely using FAT though....

Try doing an "Update" from the menu and see if anything appears.

Manu 
Posted on 5-Aug-2010 11:02:09
#3 ]

@Spirantho

Insert the USB stcick and try open a shell and type command "info" and see if it appears on Wanderer. In the beginning (1 year ago) there was this behaviour on the x86 version too. Maybe not the same problem with the PPC build today but maybe good to test.
You should get in contact with Dr. Schulz he could maybe explain why you're having this problem. Try to see if you can contact him on IRC #AROS.

http://msaros.blogspot.com/2010/01/oh-samantha.html

Mrodfr 
Posted on 5-Aug-2010 11:24:30
#4 ]

@all

thanks for the feedback I will try your advice soon (the update menu or the shell+ info,....)

I'm playing, with the last liveCD, and discover this another interesting OS. I would like to test USB2 on the SAM mainly.

Poseidon recognize well the USB medias and I could see them on the poseidon menus and log window on the main window but nothing on the AROS screen and on dopus4 AROS version.

Install on the SAM:

I don't think I will try to install on the HD. The SAM have AOS4 and linux with partherope and It's not possible to have 3 OS at the same time with partherope (readed somewhere some time ago but not really sure).

Also if no complete How to install (for newbie) exist with the specificity of the SAM mentionned, I will no try to install this OS with linux and AOS4.

Last edited by Mrodfr on 05-Aug-2010 at 11:27 AM.
Last edited by Mrodfr on 05-Aug-2010 at 11:24 AM.

mausle 
Posted on 5-Aug-2010 12:20:24
#5 ]

@Mrodfr
Quote:

Mrodfr wrote:
The liveCD boot fine but need to choose a resolution for a good screenmode. if not doing that, window border have no gadgets and wrong colors on the aros workbench screen.

At the moment this can be considered normal behaviour, maybe it can be fixed.

Quote:

I have mainly tested poseidon for USB2. the medias inserted are recognized USB 2.0 but no icons on the AROS workbench. I haven't found how to have medias icons on the workbench.

maybe the FAT.handler isn't correctly handled when booting from the LiveCD.

BTW, if an aros expert could give some advice to have icons for USB medias inserted, with aros. Fully appreciated

Please note that USB2.0 (EHCI) is not yet supported by Sams Poseidon adaption. Though, USB media icons should show up on wanderer, I now they once did with some of the sticks I tried. I'll check again in the evening.

Also, parthenope should be able to handle more than 2 OS, but, AROS' installer does not yet handle parthenope installation. Additionally AROS' parthenope might be slightly different to your version, depends on where you got it from, though.

ciao

Mrodfr 
Posted on 5-Aug-2010 13:03:39
#6 ]

@mausle

Quote:
Please note that USB2.0 (EHCI) is not yet supported by Sams Poseidon adaption. Though, USB media icons should show up on wanderer, I now they once did with some of the sticks I tried. I'll check again in the evening.

Hum, ok, not yet USB2.0.

maybe icons not appeared because used the liveCD....

Quote:
Also, parthenope should be able to handle more than 2 OS, but, AROS' installer does not yet handle parthenope installation. Additionally AROS' parthenope might be slightly different to your version, depends on where you got it from, though.

another partherope from AROS ???? the one used here came from Acube site, for managing linux and AOS4 at the same time...

http://www.acube-systems.biz/index.php?page=hardware&pid=1

end of the page, link for partherope.

I would like to be sure one partherope (acube or AROS) could manage linux, AOS, AROS at the same time on SAM computers.

Mrodfr 
Posted on 5-Aug-2010 17:29:02
#7 ]

@all

1. update menu, on AROS, don't work. Seemed to run forever.

that mean if trying to open the other menus, all rest on the screen and impossible to open the livecd, for example.

2. After inserting the jumdrive elite USB stick 1go (FAT formatted), poseidon recognize well the key, but nothing on the screen.

shell + info give all drives but not the USB key.

parthenope (LiveCD) - V0.91 - 8.7.2010 - 29196 ko.

parthenope (Acube) named:slb_V2, on OS4 - V0.91 - 24.10.208 - 29500 ko.

Aros version could be used on AOS4 ???

Last edited by Mrodfr on 05-Aug-2010 at 05:37 PM.

mausle 
Posted on 5-Aug-2010 18:26:52
#8 ]

@Mrodfr

I have just built a new CD, hopefully there will be a newer one on aros.org soon as well.

Quote:

Mrodfr wrote:
@all

1. update menu, on AROS, don't work. Seemed to run forever.

that mean if trying to open the other menus, all rest on the screen and impossible to open the livecd, for example.

Works here.

Quote:

2. After inserting the jumdrive elite USB stick 1go (FAT formatted), poseidon recognize well the key, but nothing on the screen.

shell + info give all drives but not the USB key.

I have tested two different USB keys. Both of them work pretty good, meaning I can browse their contents. But I seem to remember that depending on the key it could take some time until some icon appeared on screen.

Quote:

parthenope (LiveCD) - V0.91 - 8.7.2010 - 29196 ko.

parthenope (Acube) named:slb_V2, on OS4 - V0.91 - 24.10.208 - 29500 ko.

Aros version could be used on AOS4 ???

Yes should be possible, the AROS version has some fixes and additions to help debugging. Though, I have not really done tests with other OS than AROS. But will do in the near future.

ciao

Mrodfr 
Posted on 5-Aug-2010 18:56:36
#9 ]

@mausle

Quote:
I have just built a new CD, hopefully there will be a newer one on aros.org soon as well.

thats great apparently, you made the LiveCD ???

Wasn't imagined to found this great support for Aros on SAM440.... I'm happy..

partherope: yes, Maybe the Aros version will be interesting for AOS4 because newer than the acube site version.

Too bad as allways, no real version history but for sure correction are sometime just cosmetic....

Dwyloc 
Posted on 5-Aug-2010 19:45:00
#10 ]

@mausle

That is interesting to know as one of the things that is holding me back from installing AROS on my sam440ep is that the acube version of parthenope made my sam boot AOS4.1 very slowly when I tried it in the past to install Linux, but Linux booted just fine.

There is a thread about if either here or Amigans some were but I can seem to find it at the moment.

So I will have to give your new liveCD a go sometime and if it works OK I will try installing AROS on a harddisk and see if the AROS version of Parthenope boots AS4 as fast as the normal OS4 boot loader.

4MB Minimig with ARM addon boar

mausle 
Posted on 5-Aug-2010 22:55:24
#11 ]

@Mrodfr

Quote:

Mrodfr wrote:
@mausle

Quote:

thats great apparently, you made the LiveCD ???

Well, I just built one for my own private use from AROS sources. A new one may appear soon on aros.org because some things were fixed, that broke the nightly build which is done on Michals machine.

Quote:

Too bad as allways, no real version history but for sure correction are sometime just cosmetic....

If you want to learn about parthenope history check this:
http://github.com/cjg/parthenope

@Dwyloc
parthenope in AROS is probably not better when it comes to OS4 booting speed. I'll check that
just give me some time.

ciao

klx300r 
Posted on 5-Aug-2010 23:00:17
#12 ]
Elite Member

@mausle

this is great news as I had problems with the last version..thanks!

also my problem with loading it from my HD is that I use slbv2 and not Parthenope to dual boot AmigaOS 4.1 & Debian but slbv2 won't load up AROS...I asked Michael about this and he said no chance on AROS end as we have to get Hyperion support for slbv2....anyhow is there a way we can boot from a USB stick on the Sam as UBoot supports this option (tried it with last CD but it got stuck in a loop and I never got it to boot from USB stick)

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

Mrodfr 
Posted on 6-Aug-2010 6:29:37
#13 ]

@all

I'm using SBL and SBL_V2 (acube site) and no problem with debian and AOS4 and AOS4 allways booted fine without slow down.

also Acube provide a parthenope archive and AROS also.

if reading the sbl_V2 (AOS4) and parthenope (AROS), the 2 files look like parthenope program. read slb_V2 with a tool and you will see parthenope written inside.

this is completely annoting to have SBL_V2 (AOS4), Parthenope (Acube) and parthenope (AROS) and all 3 look like the same.

We need a statement to know if exist compatibility with the 3 program and using AROS parthenope will continue to boot debian, AOS4 and AROS fine....

NOTE: About the speed for booting AOS4 on SAM:

slow with AOS4 and improved with U1 (or U2). BTW, now loading AOS4 on the progress bar have better speed than before (AOS4.1).

Last edited by Mrodfr on 06-Aug-2010 at 06:32 AM.

michalsc 
Posted on 6-Aug-2010 6:44:52
#14 ]
AROS Core Developer

@Mrodfr

Quote:
We need a statement to know if exist compatibility with the 3 program and using AROS parthenope will continue to boot debian, AOS4 and AROS fine...

AROS slb is the parthenope SLB. I have just extended parthenope when I was working on it last time. AROS slb should support SFS partitions and should boot OS4.1 without any trouble.

Is it annoying? Yes, it is. Parthenope could be used as an universal bootloader, but it will not read SFS2/JXFS partitions at all. In order to achieve that, a good will from Hyperion is needed. Without it, we could only try to reverse-engineer these filesystems :(

Mrodfr 
Posted on 6-Aug-2010 8:44:15
#15 ]

@michalsc

OK. partherope (ACUBE or AROS) is SBL (AOS4) and the AROS versions (more updated) could be used without problems.

The only thing Multiboot user is to have SFS00 for AOS4 for multiboot (DEBIAN and/or AROS).

For updating Parthenope for SFS2/JXFS partitions :

the Acube version made by:

$VER: Parthenope 0.91 (24.10.2008) Copyright (C) 2008 Giuseppe Coviello. This is free software.

Acube or Hyperion should update parthenope for supporting SFS2/JXFS ???? At least someone with knowledge and freetime.

BTW, AOS4 user should know that only use SFS00 if want to use debian and/or AROS.

Questions:

- ALso, what do you think about the USB medias ,on AROS LIVECD, not recognized on my SAM ???

- When AROS could be easily installed on SAM computer ???
Mausle said: Also, parthenope should be able to handle more than 2 OS, but, AROS' installer does not yet handle parthenope installation

Last edited by Mrodfr on 06-Aug-2010 at 09:15 AM.
Last edited by Mrodfr on 06-Aug-2010 at 08:57 AM.

michalsc 
Posted on 6-Aug-2010 9:50:21
#16 ]
AROS Core Developer

@Mrodfr

Quote:
Acube or Hyperion should update parthenope for supporting SFS2/JXFS ????

I cannot, because I have no information about physical structure of JXFS. It's a proprietary software with no freeware tools to read it.

Acube cannot for the same reasons.

Hyperion will not, due to the open source nature of parthenope, especially the GPL licence. I've asked them already to participate in this bootloader.

Quote:
ALso, what do you think about the USB medias ,on AROS LIVECD, not recognized on my SAM ???

The last livecd nightly builds are done automatically, without me checking them. How old is the iso you've tried?

Quote:
When AROS could be easily installed on SAM computer ???
Mausle said: Also, parthenope should be able to handle more than 2 OS, but, AROS' installer does not yet handle parthenope installation

He is right. The only thing missing in aros installer is to put parthenope onto the harddrive.

Dwyloc 
Posted on 6-Aug-2010 11:23:50
#17 ]

@mausle
Quote:
parthenope in AROS is probably not better when it comes to OS4 booting speed. I'll check that just give me some time.

OK I have found the original thread the slow boot issue was talked about here http://www.amigans.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=43867#forumpost43867

So It was not just me seeing the issue, but as I wont have access to my sam440ep again until next week as its packed away in a different location so I cant test to see if the issue still happens at the moment.

4MB Minimig with ARM addon boar

Mrodfr 
Posted on 6-Aug-2010 11:31:19
#18 ]

Quote:
I cannot, because I have no information about physical structure of JXFS. It's a proprietary software with no freeware tools to read it.

Acube cannot for the same reasons.

Hyperion will not, due to the open source nature of parthenope, especially the GPL licence. I've asked them already to participate in this bootloader.

JXFS and SFS02 documentations needed for third party support for these 2 filesystems on parthenope.....

Thread opened on this forum: (for sharing the informations and in case something possible).

http://www.amigans.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4185&forum=22

Quote:
The last livecd nightly builds are done automatically, without me checking them. How old is the iso you've tried?

the last one on aros exec, now one month old....

Quote:
He is right. The only thing missing in aros installer is to put parthenope onto the harddrive.

If the user allready have parthenope (because he use AOS4 /SFS00 and debian), It's easy to install AROS with a few clicks ????

BTW, I know I could allready update parthenope on my SAM with the AROS version...

Last edited by Mrodfr on 06-Aug-2010 at 12:49 PM.
Last edited by Mrodfr on 06-Aug-2010 at 12:04 PM.

Mrodfr 
Posted on 7-Aug-2010 4:50:02
#19 ]

@Mrodfr

Some explanations has been made about this subject on the amigans site

AROS on Acube computers

Feel free to make your comùents here or on the amigans site (if you have an account).

joerg also said that another solution is to put AROS support on the Acube Uboot.

Last edited by Mrodfr on 07-Aug-2010 at 04:51 AM.

Mrodfr 
Posted on 14-Aug-2010 17:11:44
#20 ]

Hello,

When a new liveCD for SAM440 will be available ????

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle