Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 66 guest(s) on-line.
 3 member(s) on-line.

OlafS25,  Karlos,  danwood

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Karlos:  20 secs ago
 danwood:  3 mins ago
 OlafS25:  4 mins ago
 kriz:  20 mins ago
 Matt3k:  22 mins ago
 kolla:  24 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  37 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  54 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 26 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Inc. offshoot
      /  CommodoreOS - closed source or open?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Poll : Is it morally acceptable to rename existing free OS, mod it and distribute it as flagship product?
Yes
No
Dunno

PosterThread
linnar 
Re: CommodoreOS - closed source or open?
Posted on 15-Jun-2012 9:22:17
#21 ]
Cult Member

@CritAnime

Quote:

CritAnime wrote:
@linnar

Oh I understand perfectly what they are doing. So don't attempt to lecture me on it. I have read all the stuff they ever put out on it and even used it myself. I know exactly what they have and havent done. ;)

I have been a Linux user for a long while.

OK!
You now also understand that they can not catch everything that is expected of them in the short time?
- All Cases own construction
- Fully developed its own Linux distro that feels Amiga
- Many new versions of the Amiga
- Many other That and more, is what is complained of them.

I think they accomplished very surprising in a very short time with so little people.
It has never happened before that such a small company news spread around the world in almost every computer magazine that exists.
Right?

New case:
Amiga 1000x

Last edited by linnar on 15-Jun-2012 at 09:25 AM.

Profile     Report this post  
ice2642 
Posted on 15-Jun-2012 11:45:43
#22 ]

@linnar

to be honest, i hate linux since the ppl change the KDE 3.5 to 4

at less the commodore OS use gnome 2.3 , the new 3.0 go to the same way from KDE when changed to 4

maybe if the commodore use windows with Amiga theme it will be best than use linux mint 10. think about it. a revolucionary amiga running windows :)

the final step to made a amiga generic x86 PC with cool aluminum case.

Probably Jay Mainer will jump in the grave.

BR

linnar 
Posted on 15-Jun-2012 12:07:33
#23 ]
Cult Member

@ice2642

Quote:

ice2642 wrote:
@linnar

at less the commodore OS use gnome 2.3 , the new 3.0 go to the same way from KDE when changed to 4

maybe if the commodore use windows with Amiga theme it will be best than use linux mint 10. think about it. a revolucionary amiga running windows :)

the final step to made a amiga generic x86 PC with cool aluminum case.

Probably Jay Mainer will jump in the grave.

BR

I do not like Linux for various reasons! But I will sit down and really go through Linux correctly and try different things. Maybe I'm beginning to like it? I may be too accustomed to Windows?

With Windows 8, there is great reason to stop using Windows! Metro and the new menus crosswise is horrible to work with! I have advocated that Cusa to do Cos more Amiga-like. They must not, for they may be prosecuted. Therefore, they have chosen a different path, to build an os with a completely different direction, but might be something for the future. For my part, I hope they make Linux fun to use for until now it's no fun with Linux. Linux has long been a geek OS.
What I saw and heard about Cos seems to be going in the right direction.

I do not know if Jay jumps into the grave but I know that there were plans to develop a new Amiga that could use different processors, for example x86. If the old Commodore was today, their use Amiga x86, and their OS based on Linux kernel, but in general not the same as other Linux dist. That's where I think Cusa tries to go but the path is long and with many OS developers.

Amiga 1000x, which I linked to, is currently under construction. It is a pre-production.

number6 
Posted on 15-Jun-2012 13:31:06
#24 ]
Elite Member

@linnar

Quote:
Amiga 1000x, which I linked to, is currently under construction. It is a pre-production.

What they need to do is ship product and avoid release date announcements:

Quote:
The Mini mid Feb 2012
1000x late March 2012
2000x/ 3000x/ 4000x 2nd qtr 2012

(they missed the whole lot)

I realize they're now doing these post with humor "if we're late shoot us", but seriously...

Karlos 
Posted on 15-Jun-2012 13:53:54
#25 ]
Elite Member
From: As-sassin-aaate! As-sassin-aaate! Ooh! We forgot the ammunition!

Quote:

ice2642 wrote:
@linnar

You hate linux because of a given distribution's choice of window manager? KDE4 was indeed awful (though it has come through the other side and is apparently pretty good since 4.2), but there are literally dozens of alternative window managers you can use.

CritAnime 
Posted on 15-Jun-2012 17:47:46
#26 ]
Cult Member

@linnar

As number6 hinted Commodore USA set themselves these insane goals with every announcement they do. Remember when they said they will be on COS2 by now? They have yet to get the Vic Mini's and Amiga Mini's out the door and now they are announcing the Amiga Mio and 1000X.

Oh wait of course that right. The Mio is an existing product and is actually the Vic Mini. http://www.commodore-amiga.org/forum/27-commodore-usa/15473-amiga-mio?lang=en#15477

How many times will they go through naming and hardware revisions before they finally settle on stuff they will sell on a long term basis. They need to stop faffing around and get products shipped to people.

And their COS distro is still a joke. They should have just stuck to the original plan and bundle Ubuntu with the things. Which reminds me they mentioned that COS has no RP9 functionality yet, http://www.commodore-amiga.org/forum/9-commodore-os-gaming/13993-publishing-software-under-the-commodore-os-banner?lang=en#15418, Leo is saying he knows how to get the rp9 functionality to work. I though RP9 was a proprietary bit of software from Amiga Forever.

Admin at Commodore Gaming Wiki

number6 
Posted on 15-Jun-2012 18:09:38
#27 ]
Elite Member

@CritAnime

Quote:
Oh wait of course that right. The Mio is an existing product and is actually the Vic Mini.

http://www.commodore-amiga.org/forum/27-commodore-usa/15473-amiga-mio?lang=en#15477

Thanks for that info. I missed that entirely.

Last edited by number6 on 15-Jun-2012 at 06:10 PM.

CritAnime 
Posted on 15-Jun-2012 19:46:29
#28 ]
Cult Member

@number6

The Mio was announced last week in one of Barry's big event announcments. I figured it would either be a renaming of the Vic slim or a new pre-made system.

ice2642 
Posted on 17-Jun-2012 5:29:04
#29 ]

Quote:

Karlos wrote:

You hate linux because of a given distribution's choice of window manager? KDE4 was indeed awful (though it has come through the other side and is apparently pretty good since 4.2), but there are literally dozens of alternative window managers you can use.

I not say i hate linux because it chage the kde, I say i hate linux from this time of changes.

It become to go in the same direction of windows. all automatic, havi, more politics in the big distros, etc...

Happelly we have the AmigaOS to stay out of this problens.

And, if you think about. in the time of windows 98, the linux can not get the user, way now, when the windows grow up very much with win 7 the linux will can get it ?

And more. why pay so much in a PC with the name amiga, if any PC in the world can run commodoreOS (linux) and cust much less ?

and more more, why use a PC with machines that can run AmigaOS, with a very good hardware and possibility of good 3D graphics cards ?

BR

[]'s

linnar 
Posted on 19-Jun-2012 22:17:57
#30 ]
Cult Member

At the beginning of Commodore (Cusa) start, they made mistakes. They have recognized this and apologized. They said that they were too eager in the beginning and could never imagine that so much would be the way of something so fun to start developing new stuff.
The technical problems that have been the last six months have been a shortage of parts for some of the planned components finished manufactured without warning and so on. I do not think there is any reason to make fun of it.

"Why not just use Cos to an existing x86", "why pay over the odds for a Cusa-x86?"
I turn to the question:
Why pay over the odds for an outdated overpriced old PPC? Why not use AmigaOS4.x in an existing mass-produced PC?
no, I can not, for AmigaOS4 can be used only to PPC while Cusa's so big-hearted that they will allow their Cos is used in a mass produced cheap PC.
I think this is fantastic! Right?

Last edited by linnar on 19-Jun-2012 at 10:20 PM.

opi 
Posted on 19-Jun-2012 22:22:39
#31 ]
Team Member

@ice2642

Quote:
It become to go in the same direction of windows. all automatic, havi, more politics in the big distros, etc...

Yeah, I hate how they prevent me from installing Slackware, Arch, Debian or Gentoo. Man, it's over.

ice2642 
Posted on 23-Jun-2012 2:34:24
#32 ]

@opi

talking in arch, it return to give support to ATI vga ?

linux today is worst than windows. it is a fact.

@other,

Why use a PPC ? it is a cool machine. no noise with a good power and a great OS.

and more, you can use AROS if you not like PPC board.

BR[

opi 
Posted on 23-Jun-2012 19:05:01
#33 ]
Team Member

@ice2642

Quote:
linux today is worst than windows. it is a fact.

Right, I'm going to agree with you, you've provided facts, discussed what worse or better means, it's really hard to argue with your position.

Did you know milk is really pink? It is a fact.

CritAnime 
Posted on 23-Jun-2012 20:17:10
#34 ]
Cult Member

Its also fact the all the worlds computer systems are run by pixies all called Greg. And that once a year they all like to swap stories over Skype. Its a fact and I don't need to back it up with any reason or evidence. ;)

vox 
Posted on 1-Aug-2012 1:33:53
#35 ]
Elite Member

@linnar

Quote:
At the beginning of Commodore (Cusa) start, they made mistakes. They have recognized this and apologized. They said that they were too eager in the beginning and could never imagine that so much would be the way of something so fun to start developing new stuff. The technical problems that have been the last six months have been a shortage of parts for some of the planned components finished manufactured without warning and so on. I do not think there is any reason to make fun of it.

Where? When?

Quote:
"Why not just use Cos to an existing x86", "why pay over the odds for a Cusa-x86?" I turn to the question: Why pay over the odds for an outdated overpriced old PPC? Why not use AmigaOS4.x in an existing mass-produced PC? no, I can not, for AmigaOS4 can be used only to PPC while Cusa's so big-hearted that they will allow their
Cos is used in a mass produced cheap PC. I think this is fantastic! Right?

Its hard to make it work on AMD ATI and laptop.

C=USA is so big hearted they will let us use old Mint 10, instead of downloading new Mint 13.

Hey, so, is it OPEN SOURCE (where can we get sources) or closed source?

Is there any code contributed back?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle