Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 73 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

amigakit,  OneOfNine

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  2 mins ago
 OneOfNine:  4 mins ago
 clint:  8 mins ago
 kriz:  10 mins ago
 OlafS25:  12 mins ago
 danwood:  16 mins ago
 retrofaza:  18 mins ago
 Karlos:  22 mins ago
 agami:  42 mins ago
 amigang:  1 hr 12 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Amiga Laptop
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
PosterThread
Overflow 
Re: Amiga Laptop
Posted on 22-Oct-2013 11:40:48
#21 ]

Considering they have said flat out that its not in the pipeline, then its a moot point.

Hyperion/Aeon is already getting flak for being slow on progress with the desktop/OS 4.2, so doesnt
quite make sense to add even more workload on a limited crew.

You can turn that around and say; laptops/pads are more versitile, but its not the road they have chosen
to travel.

Profile     Report this post  
Hypex 
Posted on 22-Oct-2013 13:46:45
#22 ]
Elite Member

@olegil

Quote:
Given a sufficiently large laptop shell, a SAM460 should be able to fit inside, albeit not in the classic way.

How come no one has taken a Sam and reinvented the PAWS idea?

I have another idea. Locate a tiny PPC mobo (Like a Sam), put it in a plastic box, connect mouse and keyboard over USB, and instead of a screen connect one of those projectors getting popular. Infact build in a projector, get a white screen and there's your laptop!

Last edited by Hypex on 23-Oct-2013 at 02:53 PM.

Phantom 
Posted on 22-Oct-2013 17:45:20
#23 ]
Elite Member

I don't know if the current cancellation of an AmigaOS laptop or netbook is a good idea. Sure, they tried to find something that it will be cheap for everybody to buy, but again, you have to pay approx. 1300 euros for a MacBook Pro.

I hope that they will come with a netbook solution in the future, as I was really expecting an Amiga netbook (as the nature of my job requires a netbook, and I prefer of course to run AmigaOS on it).

Spirantho 
Posted on 22-Oct-2013 17:50:12
#24 ]

@Phantom

With the Limebook, though, you'd be paying £500 for a 400MHz CPU with no real 3D - not exactly the same as a Macbook Pro.
It could be done, but the price/performance ratio would be obscene - no-one would buy it.

Phantom 
Posted on 22-Oct-2013 17:52:36
#25 ]
Elite Member

@Spirantho

But that's why it was cancelled in the first place, right?

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 22-Oct-2013 17:53:42
#26 ]

@Spirantho

it would be a techical challenge... batteries, power supply, power management, heat issue etc...

It would cost a fortune and it would be slow... The only realistic option is PowerBooks... or porting to ARM/x86/MIPS.

Nameless 
Posted on 22-Oct-2013 18:12:52
#27 ]

Powerbooks would make sense, or if something like that proposed cheap PPC system (P-Cubed) was put into a laptop form, I guess it could be an option.

I do wonder if one reason why neither powerbooks or cheap PPC is considered is not due to availability or drivers, but simply who would pay $2-$3K (or however much it is) for an Amiga desktop, if a $400 Amiga laptop was available? It'd probably just cannibalize their own sales.

I've also wondered about the recent 1.2 mil desktop announcement too. I mean, assuming that number is accurate, wouldn't it make a lot more sense to use that 1.2 mil to port AOS to ARM/x86? Or use a portion of that money to make a 68K ASIC, sell a cheap Amiga device (Rasp. Pi price range) and sell at least 10s of thousands, perhaps much more, and get a real (if small) userbase again? I don't quite get how things work in Amiga-land.

Gebrochen 
Posted on 5-Nov-2013 14:43:20
#28 ]

In general comment and confusion here,

Lenovo IdeaPad U310 silver MAG8GGE

Is on Ares website, and :

http://www.ares-shop.de/index.php?cPath=14

As you'll notice it actually is saying "Here you can find a few AROS, AEROS, MorphOS or AmigaOS compatible Notebooks."

Now I find this amazing, as no one has stated theres a netbook or laptop out there currently that runs AOS!!!!

Secondly, stating MOS in the same line.

Now if I'm reading this correctly, the Ares website administrators either knows something we dont of a near future laptop for both AOS and MOS, or both AOS and MOS are heading to x86 architecture at some point, which I find highly unlikely given the coding that may be required for such a step.

Soooo,

Anyone care to shed some light?

Cheers

AmiKit 12
MorphOS PowerBook G4 (which can play youtube vids)

https://blitterwolf.blogspot.com

damocles 
Posted on 5-Nov-2013 15:33:06
#29 ]

@Gebrochen

Looks more like what items (note plural) he intended to sell. Right now he only has one laptop series that he is selling for A*ROS and he might add later refurbished Mac (PPC) notebooks for MOS users to purchase. That category was created prior to the announcement of Hyperion dropping the Limebook which I'm guess he had intended to sell when the Limebook became available with OS4 installed. Mystery solved.

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 5-Nov-2013 15:38:36
#30 ]

@damocles
Well yes and no : )
AROS runs hosted, AmigaOS (68k/Aminux) emulated.
About MorphOS you are right.

KimmoK 
Posted on 5-Nov-2013 17:00:39
#31 ]
Elite Member

@thread

To my understanding, there seems to be laptop parts to buy, so that one could build a laptop for oneself around some own motherboard. Or am I wrong?

Anyway, to do laptops to sell, and if parts are available, one would need to design the motherboard to fit to those parts, and get enough stock of parts for the planned production of laptos etc. etc. Doable perhaps, but needs plenty of cash.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

Rob 
Posted on 5-Nov-2013 17:17:55
#32 ]
Elite Member

@KimmoK

Best solution would be to estimate how many you'd need to sell to break even/make profit and then buy that amount of say an HP 255 and design a replacement for the mainboard. Sell the HP 255 mainboards as repair parts, fir the custom board in the laptops and put some stickers on with your own branding.

HP 255 can be bought for £250 so an Amiga OS laptop doesn't have to be massively more expensive than a Sam desktop.

damocles 
Posted on 5-Nov-2013 17:58:24
#33 ]

@Rob

Wouldn't it be cheaper in the long run just to port Amiga OS4 to a new arch (plus a driver or two) and use mainstream hardware?

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 5-Nov-2013 18:07:14
#34 ]
Elite Member

@all

Hemm is not possible to print the cover using 3d printer is will that not work.
Then is just question of DC/DC converter and getting the size right, make space for battery pack.

Put a PowerPC on the minimig, its a small form factor.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 05-Nov-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 05-Nov-2013 at 06:07 PM.

sicky 
Posted on 5-Nov-2013 18:13:34
#35 ]
Elite Member

@RobertJDohnert

I totally agree, the Amiga is very much in need of a mobile device, a netbook, laptop or a tablet, many people use such devices as more people are on the go and not tied down to a desktop system. The longer we are without an Amiga OS4 compatible mobile device the further we fall back. I would expect many more users if we had such a device!

I would pay lots for such a device, I forked out £1200 for my Apple Macbook Pro so why wouldn't I do the same for my favourite OS?

Last edited by sicky on 05-Nov-2013 at 06:17 PM.

KimmoK 
Posted on 5-Nov-2013 19:10:44
#36 ]
Elite Member

@Rob

Interesting idea!

@damocles

>Wouldn't it be cheaper in the long run just to port Amiga OS4 to a new arch (plus a driver or two) and use mainstream hardware?

Not sure in the long run. But it is sure that we do not have any access to port MOS or AOS. And AROS already runs on x86.

((it would be interesting to know how much apple would need for rosetta, in case it could be used to run whole PPC OS on x86 with JIT....))

Long time ago AOS4 bits and pieces were going to be ported to Amithlon (officially) ... now if we could compile AOS4 apps to 68k Amithlon, we could have interesting solution...
Ofcourse, it would be even better if Hyperion would help doing AOS4 compatibility layer/sandbox/whatever to x86 AROS.

Last edited by KimmoK on 05-Nov-2013 at 07:11 PM.

cdimauro 
Posted on 5-Nov-2013 22:07:20
#37 ]
Elite Member

@KimmoK

Quote:
((it would be interesting to know how much apple would need for rosetta, in case it could be used to run whole PPC OS on x86 with JIT....))

You that mention Rosetta? OS4 that runs on x86 using a JIT?

The Armageddon is coming...

billt 
Posted on 6-Nov-2013 1:52:26
#38 ]
Elite Member

It's too bad that so much that would go into designing such as beast wound be encumbered with NDAs. If not for that then an open collaborative project could be a possibility, provided anyone could agree on what to do of course. :/

KimmoK 
Posted on 6-Nov-2013 7:12:00
#39 ]
Elite Member

@cdimauro

Interested in the price of it and just an option for laptop needs.

Last edited by KimmoK on 06-Nov-2013 at 07:13 AM.

olegil 
Posted on 6-Nov-2013 9:38:31
#40 ]
Elite Member

@KimmoK

I propose starting with a minimig and a VGA-LVDS converter off of ebay. Add battery charger and adapters for keyboard/trackpad and replace any motherboard connectors which stick up too much with cables to the outer shell.

This is not difficult.

Next step is finding a shell that will fit a SAM460. Slightly harder, but a few items can be reused. Hint: If you ditch the DVD-drive, there's usually plenty of space inside a laptop

Time for dumpster diving?

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle