Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 70 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

matthey,  t0lkien

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  1 min ago
 t0lkien:  2 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 bhabbott:  1 hr 35 mins ago
 Hammer:  3 hrs ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  3 hrs 24 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs 24 mins ago
 retrofaza:  4 hrs 3 mins ago
 Shadowrider:  4 hrs 12 mins ago
 danwood:  6 hrs 4 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  MorphOS Software
      /  Morphos X86
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
PosterThread
Boot_WB 
Re: Morphos X86
Posted on 24-May-2015 11:18:10
#121 ]

@cdimauro

I can't claim credit for being right there: I was just posting tokai's funny picture

From what I have read QBox was the at one point intended to be the concept for exposing more advanced features in parallel to ABox (what we currently enjoy using in MorphOS). As concept designs go, I have no idea how far it was developed back then (we're talking ~10 years ago afaik), but all signs are that development of QBox in that form is totally atrophied. It crops up like a reminder of last night's curry occasionally, but as I understand it MorphOS team have made it pretty clear that the 'advanced features' QBox was once intended to offer will most likely come with (or after) the ISA change.

Whether QBox will reappear (in name/function) at that point, who knows, but as it stands today QBox is just the name of the animated character associated with the limited help database (sys:utilities/tips).

Profile     Report this post  
OlafS25 
Posted on 24-May-2015 11:26:30
#122 ]
Elite Member

@Boot_WB

it might be possible to add modern features when dropping any compatibility but then there will be no software on it. Sounds like a great idea for a new OS

Or you can run old software somehow but then where do you get the new adapted software?

cdimauro 
Posted on 24-May-2015 20:23:07
#123 ]
Elite Member

@jPV

Quote:

jPV wrote:
@cdimauro

Quote:

cdimauro wrote:

UAE has bsdsocket emulation. Maybe this thread can help you.

Yeah I know that WinUAE has bsdsocket emulation, but does UAE versions (E-UAE etc) we are using in AROS, MorphOS etc have it? Can you now use network software under AROS/Janus? Quickly looked that thread only talks about WinUAE.

WinUAE is currently being ported to AROS. It means that the bsdsocket emulation will work, as well as the PowerPC support.

cdimauro 
Posted on 24-May-2015 20:27:02
#124 ]
Elite Member

@Boot_WB

Quote:

Boot_WB wrote:
@cdimauro

I can't claim credit for being right there: I was just posting tokai's funny picture

From what I have read QBox was the at one point intended to be the concept for exposing more advanced features in parallel to ABox (what we currently enjoy using in MorphOS). As concept designs go, I have no idea how far it was developed back then (we're talking ~10 years ago afaik), but all signs are that development of QBox in that form is totally atrophied. It crops up like a reminder of last night's curry occasionally, but as I understand it MorphOS team have made it pretty clear that the 'advanced features' QBox was once intended to offer will most likely come with (or after) the ISA change.

Whether QBox will reappear (in name/function) at that point, who knows, but as it stands today QBox is just the name of the animated character associated with the limited help database (sys:utilities/tips).

If the ISA change will bring also more advanced features (Q-Box? New A-Box? Who knows ), I think that the port will take longer and source-level compatibility of the existing applications might be also affected.

Just to clarify: I'm not stating that it's a bad thing. I already expressed my opinion about a new Amiga-inspired o.s. with modern features, but it requires a lot of work both at the o.s. and apps level. Something similar can happen to the x64 port of MorphOS. That's all.

KimmoK 
Posted on 25-May-2015 9:04:31
#125 ]
Elite Member

Someone with interest & time could try to host open specification/planning for NG AmiOS. Would love to see how it would shape out.

(then some USD1M bounty to kick-start it (BETA release for grazy people) )

IIRC, originally MorphOS had superior plan, but they have had resources only to finetune the ABox corner of it. I wonder how much money it would need to enable them to release quick and dirty BETATESTER release of SMP+memoryprotection+64bit version.

Last edited by KimmoK on 25-May-2015 at 09:08 AM.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

Kronos 
Posted on 25-May-2015 10:38:24
#126 ]
Elite Member

@KimmoK

I really doubt money is the issue here.

Just think of it, if they were into it for the money you'd have to pay them fair compensation according to their skills.

We'd be talking 6 figures before you've even got to the splash screen

KimmoK 
Posted on 26-May-2015 10:30:19
#127 ]
Elite Member

One example of how to target x86/x64 HW that does not disappear overnight, use open source x86 board:
http://www.minnowboard.org/meet-minnowboard-max/

@cdimauro

Thanks for pointing out this tiny intel device.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

kolla 
Posted on 26-May-2015 10:53:49
#128 ]
Elite Member

@KimmoK

Quote:

IIRC, originally MorphOS had superior plan, but they have had resources only to finetune the ABox corner of it. I wonder how much money it would need to enable them to release quick and dirty BETATESTER release of SMP+memoryprotection+64bit version.

As far as I recall, it was really just Laire who wanted something from Qbox, the rest of the team, CISC, Bigfoot, Piru etc., had little to no interest in anything besides Abox.

blizz1220 
Posted on 26-May-2015 11:46:43
#129 ]

@Kronos

Well maybe use money to HIRE help to do the grunt work ?

I wonder why nobody likes to think Kickstarter except to fund
a banquet or a book ???

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle