Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
23 crawler(s) on-line.
 168 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

matthey

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  3 mins ago
 Hypex:  17 mins ago
 agami:  25 mins ago
 Matt3k:  50 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 40 mins ago
 amigasociety:  2 hrs 55 mins ago
 billt:  4 hrs 38 mins ago
 Rob:  5 hrs 38 mins ago
 amigakit:  5 hrs 49 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  6 hrs 6 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga PPC Linux
      /  Linux on OS4 HD OK?
Register To Post

PosterThread
kilaueabart 
Linux on OS4 HD OK?
Posted on 31-Jan-2016 1:56:14
#1 ]
Cult Member

Ubuntu 12.04.5 quit booting (couldn't find root). So I had to reinstall. Installer said if I installed "alongside" the current 12.04 (/dev/sdb1) and 15.10 (/dev/sdb2), I wouldn't lose any files. I stupidly went ahead with that, thinking it would automatically create a /dev/sdb3 of just the right size, but instead it found a huge (450+GB) empty space on /dev/sda (my OS4 disk) and installed there.

It boots fine. It did NOT have any of my original files; I copied some from the old Home directory, but I need to learn what to copy from the old "file system" before it is really "right."

Meanwhile, I'm pretty sure I was told a few years ago that I should not have Linux and Amiga on the same drive. That's why I bought a new one for Ubuntu. But is that true?

Either way, I think my best plan is to copy whatever file system files over from sdb1 to sda8, then reformat sdb1 and reinstall 12.04 there and copy most of the file system over from sda8 and reformat that. Do you see any holes in my plan?

Profile     Report this post  
zzd10h 
Re: Linux on OS4 HD OK?
Posted on 31-Jan-2016 9:04:10
#2 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@kilaueabart

I have only 1 HD on my X1000 and I use Linux and OS4 without problem.

elwood 
Posted on 31-Jan-2016 11:01:41
#3 ]
Elite Member

@zzd10h

But on Sam460 I don't think there is a Linux installation CD that allows installing Linux on the same HD as OS4. Maybe what is done on the x5000 Linux CD could be done on a Sam460 Linux CD too.

Amiga Translator Organisation

Spectre660 
Posted on 31-Jan-2016 11:31:46
#4 ]
Elite Member

@elwood

Not correct.
I have had up to 4 separate Linux installations on the same HD as OS4.1 on my Sam460ex.
With my Sam460 Lubuntu 16.04 installer only using 1 partition for Linux instead of 3
many more are possible. Linux can be used on any of the first 16 partitions on the HD.

Quote:

elwood wrote:
@zzd10h

But on Sam460 I don't think there is a Linux installation CD that allows installing Linux on the same HD as OS4. Maybe what is done on the x5000 Linux CD could be done on a Sam460 Linux CD too.

zzd10h 
Posted on 31-Jan-2016 12:22:59
#5 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@elwood

IIRC, kilaueabart have a X1000, like me. Therefore I can reply to him, "Yes, it works"

Hypex 
Posted on 31-Jan-2016 13:44:27
#6 ]
Elite Member

@kilaueabart

Did you have anything plugged into the USB ports? I know I go on about it but the drive assignments in Linux are easily messed up.

Also I recommend giving your volumes a label. So for example label your Linux root volume as Ubuntu. And then you can specify root as follows:
root=LABEL=Ubuntu
root=/dev/disk/by-label/Ubuntu

One of the two. Allows you to organise your volumes without using cryptic device names that break easily.

Were your OS4 files safe I hope? Anything I install with Linux is done in manual mode so I know where it is going. Can't trust a foreign OS.

Also, after you, have backed up your user files, try installing over the top of the old one. Later Ubuntus are meant to support this so you can install over a broken system and retain your user files. Not tried it myself so why I say backup first.

kilaueabart 
Posted on 1-Feb-2016 1:47:01
#7 ]
Cult Member

@zzd10h
I actually knew it would work, but I had the idea that once when I wrote about some problem I had with one or the other platforms which I was running from a single hard drive, somebody (Christian?) told me I should use separate drives.

I plan to reinstall on the SSD (maybe on un-reformatted /dev/sdb1 to see whether Hypex is right about it not destroying files) and probably sooner or later get rid of it on the OS4 drive. I mean, 450.324 GBytes for a little Ubuntu is a bit ridiculous! On the other hand, I don't seem to need the space for anything else.

elwood 
Posted on 1-Feb-2016 11:25:26
#8 ]
Elite Member

@zzd10h

Ah ok, he didn't mention the X1000.

@spectre060

Oh thanks. I'll try that soon myself then.

kilaueabart 
Posted on 2-Feb-2016 1:26:38
#9 ]
Cult Member

@Hypex

Quote:
Did you have anything plugged into the USB ports?
Just a keyboard charger cable, mouse, and keyboard reader (the last two in the back of my X1000).

Quote:
Were your OS4 files safe I hope?
I learned my lesson last summer when trying to fix Ubuntu somehow totally wiped out my OS4 drive, every last partition. Never have been able to recover some of it, such as PageStream 5058, which I had depended on greatly. (Now I must deal with Scribus on Ubuntu. No fun!) I keep the whole drive regularly backed up on a 30 Gb thumb drive.

I'll try to figure out how to give my volumes labels. I won't try to actually do it until I know for sure. I'm afraid I'll end up making my machine unbootable (again).

Hypex 
Posted on 10-Feb-2016 14:29:58
#10 ]
Elite Member

@kilaueabart

Quote:
Just a keyboard charger cable, mouse, and keyboard reader (the last two in the back of my X1000).

That should be fine then.

Quote:
I learned my lesson last summer when trying to fix Ubuntu somehow totally wiped out my OS4 drive, every last partition.

Would like to know what happened. I mean what Ubuntu did to it. I recall the thread.

Quote:
I'll try to figure out how to give my volumes labels. I won't try to actually do it until I know for sure.

IIRC it isn't as easy to do as on Amiga. AFAIR you need to open Disk Utility and select the volume then the option to change label should come up in the menus. Then apply. It usually tells you what will be done.

elwood 
Posted on 10-Feb-2016 22:44:22
#11 ]
Elite Member

@Spectre660

I tried to install Lubuntu for 460ex. It installed leaving my OS4 partitions alone (this is a good point).
I tried re-installing SLB (the install replaced it with Parthenope) but Linux doesn't boot this way.
Will try again with Parthenope...

Hypex 
Posted on 11-Feb-2016 14:09:56
#12 ]
Elite Member

@elwood

It can boot this way. Is it one partition or more? You need to set the Linux volume as bootable in MTB. And AFAIK it needs to be on the same HD as the SLB. Not sure about the Sam UBoot but the A1 UBoot could only use max Ext3 with 128 size inodes. And then of course you need to setup a boot menu file in /boot/a1boot.conf of the bootable Linux volume that holds your kernel.

So it can be done. But the Linux installer doesn't set it up. It just overwrites it with ub2lb.

Spectre660 
Posted on 11-Feb-2016 14:18:48
#13 ]
Elite Member

@elwood

The installer does not touch the SLB at all.

Quote:

elwood wrote:
@Spectre660

I tried to install Lubuntu for 460ex. It installed leaving my OS4 partitions alone (this is a good point).
I tried re-installing SLB (the install replaced it with Parthenope) but Linux doesn't boot this way.
Will try again with Parthenope...

Spectre660 
Posted on 11-Feb-2016 14:19:46
#14 ]
Elite Member

@elwood

Sam460ex EXT4 root partition .

http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=3341

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle