Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
19 crawler(s) on-line.
 149 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  7 mins ago
 Hypex:  21 mins ago
 agami:  29 mins ago
 Matt3k:  55 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 44 mins ago
 amigasociety:  2 hrs 59 mins ago
 billt:  4 hrs 43 mins ago
 Rob:  5 hrs 43 mins ago
 amigakit:  5 hrs 54 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  6 hrs 11 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  New Member Introductions
      /  Hello All! New to AmigaOS
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
pavlor 
Re: Hello All! New to AmigaOS
Posted on 24-Nov-2017 9:03:17
#21 ]
Elite Member

@Templario

If you mean OP, then your post certainly is not polite. Assume good faith. In any case, OPs questions are valid and deserve answers.

Profile     Report this post  
paolone 
Posted on 24-Nov-2017 10:58:00
#22 ]

@E.Coppersmith

Quote:

Thus far I've really liked what I've found out about it and am seriously thinking about switching to it, at least for my CAD work. Admittedly, part of what has made me so interested is the lower cost of the OS and it's software.

Lower cost? AmigaOS 4.1 is now cheap to buy, but you can't tell the same for AmigaOne hardware. You can try it emulated on your common PC, but please consider you'd be emulating a PPC processor which introduces major overhead to system speed. You'd get a sluggish experience to say the best. On native PPC hardware, however, you'd get a snappier experience. Don't expect to compete with x64 raw power, though, since the IPC and multiple core features of modern Core i7s and Ryzen processors are simply an order magnitude greater than any AmigaOS-driven PPC system. In a nutshell: be careful if you need to CAD for work.

Quote:

All that being said; I want to try the OS out first, before dropping a bit less than $2000 on an Amiga 1. So I wanted to see if it's possible to install it on one of my other computers first (I have two: a laptop running Win 8 and a desktop running Win 10). Unfortunately, I discovered that it still has no multi-core support, and both computers have at least a quad core possessor.

As author and mantainer of Icaros Desktop, http://www.icarosdesktop.org, I must obviously suggest you to test our AROS-based solution as well. It's free and it won't give you a so much different experience than AmigaOS 4 or MorphOS. Icaros has the double advantage which can run natively on your system, but you can also run it "hosted" like any other application (a OS in a OS) or virtualized into a VMware or VirtualBox solution. Someone talked about Rabbit Hole: when running hosted, Icaros 2.2.1 features HostBridge, which is basically the same concept, but allows to start ANY windows or Linux application from icons, from the command line, from dock launchers and even associate them as a default tool for your files. For example, if you have a Windows/Linux program called PippoCAD, and the files it produces have the .pipp extension, you can associate .pipp extension to PippoCAD and have HostBridge run PippoCAD every time you double click on a .pipp file.

Fore more information
about Icaros: http://vmwaros.blogspot.co.uk/p/versions-comparison.html
about old amiga apps support: http://vmwaros.blogspot.com/p/amibridge.html
about HostBridge: http://vmwaros.blogspot.com/p/hostbridge.html
screenshots: http://vmwaros.blogspot.com/p/screenshots.html

Last edited by paolone on 24-Nov-2017 at 11:01 AM.
Last edited by paolone on 24-Nov-2017 at 10:59 AM.

Templario 
Posted on 24-Nov-2017 18:41:03
#23 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor
It is curious that these last years appear new possible Amiga users that only write one or two post and they disappear and a few weeks later appear other users with thread only with links to promote products and services.

Zylesea 
Posted on 24-Nov-2017 22:19:48
#24 ]
Elite Member

@AdvancedFollower

Quote:

AdvancedFollower wrote:
MorphOS runs on PowerPC just like AmigaOS, and is actually available on the X1000 (soon X5000) as well as old PPC Macs.

MorphOS does not (and probably will never) support the X1000.
For a list of hardware supported by MorphOS: http://www.morphos.de/hardware

Rob 
Posted on 24-Nov-2017 23:04:30
#25 ]
Elite Member

@Templario

Quote:
think that this thread and this member is a troll, because still he doesn't answer to our suggestions and he asks more information about the Amiga classic or NG.

Maybe he found what he needed from the answers given. If he decided it wasn't for him after all then we wouldn't have had any follow up questions to ask.

E.Coppersmith 
Posted on 27-Nov-2017 7:25:49
#26 ]

Wow, thank you all for the advise. Sorry it took so long for me to finally post to this thread again, I work at a retail store (Menards) and... well... Black Friday happened. From setup to today, it's been a madhouse. Most nights I've been eating and heading to bed so I could get up in the morning, just completely dead.

Any-who...

@Raziel/tonyw/Overflow/wawa/pavlor/BoingBear/djnick/Rob/paolone

Thanks for the suggestions and advise. I think I'm going to start with emulation as you suggested, though I now have more options than I had before... not a bad thing, just more to research.

I know it won't run perfectly, or exactly the same, as it would on a native machine. But as most of you pointed out, it will still give me a good idea as to what I'm working with.

Right now, I think I'm leaning towards Amiga Forever.

I realize an AmigaOne is around $2000.00, which is more than my current/primary machine (which I have no intention of getting rid of, the Amiga would be a secondary machine). It's namely the difference in price of software that drew my attention on that front.

Sadly my old macs are no longer with us. They led long and colorful lives (one of them, an SE even survived my cousin... long story involving installing a game to the startup folder), and died warriors deaths... So I don't have any machines that I could install it and run naively on. Oh well.

@Raziel/tonyw/Overflow/AdvancedFollower/Templario/pavlor/NutsAboutAmiga/Beans/Raffaele/Rob/

As far as using CAD on an AmigaOS, it was just an idea born mostly from the relatively low price I've seen for Amiga software... if it's got a price at all. Autodesk software, namely Inventor, runs $1890.00 per year (Solidworks runs about the same). Though, I could afford it right now, it's still rather steep. Especially considering they no longer offer an option to buy a copy outright, along with Adobe. It's subscription only.

Beyond that, I don't really mind using out of date software, so long as it does what I need it to do. Most of what I'm doing with CAD is for my own use. So, as long as I can ether get it to talk to my hardware (Eventual 3D Printer and Laser etcher/cutter, right now: a regular printer) or convert it to a format that will, I'm fine with it.

I already use an old version of Photoshop and After Effects, they do what I want them for and I own them outright, no BS subscription fee for bells and whistles I don't need or particularly want.

As for Blender, again, been working on learning it since I lost my student subscription to Autodesk. Which all started disappearing when said school wen't under (ITT-tech).

If CAD on Amiga won't cut it even for that, oh well, there are other alternatives. I'll probably run with the emulation longer then. Still would want to get a dedicated machine at some point.

@BoingBear

I agree, Win 8 is a nightmare at best. I would love to get rid of it and upgrade to Win 10 on the laptop. Sadly, because of some of the drivers for it's hardware, which aren't available for Win 10, I'm stuck with it until I can find an alternative that won't have the same problem.

Well, I think that covers everything so far... I will do my best to reply more quickly in future... though I will not have any updates on my own situation for a while.

Thanks all, and see you around the forum!

------------------------------------
Just looked at the list of games on os4depot 0_0 I suddenly feel like I'm 15 again... except for the knee pain...

AdvancedFollower 
Posted on 27-Nov-2017 8:57:14
#27 ]

@Zylesea

I see, I guess I must have confused it with the SAM460 in regards to MorphOS support, then.
Anyway the X5000 will support MorphOS, but again not the A1222 from what I read (guess they don't want to bother with the non-standard FPU).

Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Nov-2017 10:07:18
# ]

@E.Coppersmith

Stay around, ask questions and if you got the emulation up and running, have fun

There'll always be people around to answer...we never sleep...and soon you'll be one of us...

...one of us...one of us...one of us...

heh, where did THAT come from???

Report this post  
NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 27-Nov-2017 17:16:43
#29 ]
Elite Member

@E.Coppersmith

I that case you might find some that works, a lot of old Amiga software limited tiny screen resolution, or tiny topaz font, things might not look right, there might bugs that never be fix and so on, beyond that I'm sure there are old useful programs to find.

E.Coppersmith 
Posted on 27-Nov-2017 17:26:08
#30 ]

@Raziel

Planing on it! So long as no one tries to swallow my soul... Microsoft has already tried... I WILL ESCAPE WINDOWS!!
... AmigaOS, the digital equivalent of consensual defenestration.

@NutsAboutAmiga

Yea, I've been looking at what os4depot.net has in that area (not just the games, honest) and most of it seems to be architecture focused. Which is fine, but I do mechanical design, so a bit more looking is in order.

Last edited by E.Coppersmith on 27-Nov-2017 at 05:28 PM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 27-Nov-2017 17:34:14
#31 ]
Elite Member

@E.Coppersmith

It is simply unrealistic to do serious work on anything amiga related because of both hardware and software. CAD is propably (next to perhaps Raytracing) one of the most demanding software you can imagine, all amiga hardware options are not powerful enough for that (and only one core used). Also software I am aware of is from old 68k days, it is certainly not offering what you expect and there is no chance to exchange data with a modern system. Buy and use it as a hobby if you want, but do not hope to use it seriously because you will be disappointed finally

this looks interesting as free option:
http://brlcad.org/

Last edited by OlafS25 on 27-Nov-2017 at 05:38 PM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 27-Nov-2017 18:01:09
#32 ]
Elite Member

@E.Coppersmith

I don't know way blender or 3D modeling program can't be used, sure Cad tools are oriented to precision millimeters and measurements. Creating basic cad program in self is not that hard, creating that is professional and have all features of modern cad, on the other hand is.

As there is no money in it for me, its question do need it, and for me the answer is no.
it can be done, we not taking brain surgery, but it lot of work and lets not forget time.

At least a year of work, or maybe 3 concerning part time after work kind of thing, plus normally every thing takes at least double the amount time you think bugs and unexpected things.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 27-Nov-2017 at 06:06 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 27-Nov-2017 at 06:02 PM.

E.Coppersmith 
Posted on 27-Nov-2017 18:34:30
#33 ]

@OlafS25

A lot of the features that take up so much processing power in newer CAD programs are ultimately unnecessary to the basic design aspect, which really hasn't changed much since the 80's. In that respect, there have been a few updates in resolution and automation of functions. Namely allowing you to draw out the design rather than entering all the geometries in manually.

Also, I'm taking a look at that BRL CAD you linked me to. Thanks!

@NutsAboutAmiga

Blender is a great program, and you can use it for technical drawings, I've seen people use it for virtual demos of a number of designs. The main issue is that it can't make them in the proper format. Since it's made for more artistically focused work. Unless there's a plugin to make technical layouts that I'm unaware of.

wawa 
Posted on 27-Nov-2017 19:34:27
#34 ]
Elite Member

@E.Coppersmith

Quote:
relatively low price I've seen for Amiga software...

im still not sure what you are referring to.

almost all software available for amiga after its glory days, more than twenty years ago, and for all three followup platforms, is generally quick and dirty ports of open sources. usually barely tested, for the lack of actual users, people who would actually notice something working or not, after they have been able to execute a binary. there is no chance its "cheaper" than on the other platform. best case it is still free of charge, as elsewhere.

im not trying to put down anybody, especially any effort. but this is the reality of the situation. bear in mind, that today you cant "escape" windows with anything amiga related.

Last edited by wawa on 27-Nov-2017 at 07:39 PM.

PR 
Posted on 27-Nov-2017 20:18:41
#35 ]

@E.Coppersmith

Welcome to Amigaland from me too.

There is a good load of programs from the past.

Yesterday made a Birthday-present card with my 7 years old AmigaGirl with DeluxePaint V-

They ask at school from her: How Can You Do That?

Just an example from the millions of things done and all work used to be done in our office.

I Think the A1222 etc are too slow for CAD or so, even this A1XE is still faster, has Altivec etc. Or that 68060+FPU for rendering. PicassoIV Graphics card etc. The first One has some advantages in other areas.

My main use is retro with CF-card A1200 mildy expansioned + A500 Action Replay+ the must have TAC-2 x 2 mem,extradd.+Network..

There is a lifetime (for me) to explore.

Have a nice time here, too bad the Mac's where put away as there would have been a MOS Demo if I'm correct to try. Never tried, only nearly all Workbenches and AmigaOS 4,1 and hopefully the next.

Then You could consider the cheaper and newer X5000. My opinion is to wait for the support for the cores, all thinks the same. Maybe the net browser and printers solved by the time or via emulation if enough power.

This 2002 AmigaOneXEG4 "NG" is still not fully supported. Waiting to buy a new OS for it.

For next Christmas?

PR

Last edited by PR on 27-Nov-2017 at 08:25 PM.

BigD 
Posted on 27-Nov-2017 20:38:37
#36 ]
Elite Member

@PR

Quote:
Yesterday made a Birthday-present card with my 7 years old AmigaGirl with DeluxePaint V

You da man (and AmigaGirl)

I tend to use Photoshop & PowerPoint to make home made cards these days but Deluxe Paint V is more fun to actually create the clip art from scratch!

PR 
Posted on 27-Nov-2017 21:44:59
#37 ]

@BigD

Yes It's Great fun!

Also starting from a blank page and get the ideas running. Only Amiga Makes it possible with ease of use.

Not just Ctrl+C and Paste.

Colourful and the AmigaGirl likes to colour and there are plenty to choose from.

Still Amazed how they get the grips so fast.

Well done EA and, let's see, Amiga seems to be the machine.

PR 
Posted on 27-Nov-2017 22:06:27
#38 ]

The Authors and NG Amiga Generation.

http://aijaa.com/ZmKTdj

http://aijaa.com/tf0pAo

Just for the fun of it. There are some photos when playing/drawing/composing..

Really not Ready card and a bit exagerating.. Finland 100 Years and my friend 50..

Hard to find from all of the mass with a pc.

Not this one.. http://aijaa.com/wFbW5k

Ok. Not Ready. Very hard to transfer was that: http://aijaa.com/z3l5in

Made By Amiga.

Deleting after Viewing. Spain is a bit.. ok but the author is learning;) Finland is really dancing.

Last edited by PR on 27-Nov-2017 at 10:30 PM.
Last edited by PR on 27-Nov-2017 at 10:28 PM.
Last edited by PR on 27-Nov-2017 at 10:25 PM.
Last edited by PR on 27-Nov-2017 at 10:23 PM.
Last edited by PR on 27-Nov-2017 at 10:13 PM.
Last edited by PR on 27-Nov-2017 at 10:11 PM.
Last edited by PR on 27-Nov-2017 at 10:07 PM.

PR 
Posted on 27-Nov-2017 22:35:35
#39 ]

For BigD. Thanks.

cha05e90 
Posted on 28-Nov-2017 8:54:32
#40 ]

@E.Coppersmith

It is indeed true that there are CAD-esque software packages for AmigaOS. Wether they are still usable or not - I don't know. What I do know is, that I played around with Maxon CAD (demo version) and did some more serious stuff with Cycas - which is btw. freeware now and works just nice in an AmigaOS 4.x environment.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle