Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 60 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kolla:  53 mins ago
 t0lkien:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 56 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 18 mins ago
 RobertB:  2 hrs 31 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs 7 mins ago
 matthey:  3 hrs 15 mins ago
 bhabbott:  4 hrs 15 mins ago
 tygre:  5 hrs 6 mins ago
 jacadcaps:  5 hrs 12 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  [Poll] How interested in the Sony Playstation 3 are you?
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 Next Page )
Poll : How interested in the Sony Playstation 3 are you?
Own one already (or will own one within the comings months)
Waiting for announced "killer" game or feature (PS3 Home, MGS, FF, etc)
Waiting for price drop or Slimline version
Only interested if AmigaOS4 (or an other OS woul be be ported)
Simply not interested

PosterThread
MikeB 
[Poll] How interested in the Sony Playstation 3 are you?
Posted on 8-Mar-2007 13:44:45
#1 ]
Elite Member

Which of the above statements would best translate your personal view? But before answering the question you may want to check out the following news.

Phil Harrison, President of Worldwide Studios, Sony Computer Entertainment held an interesting keynote speech and demonstration at the Game Developer's Conference 2007 in San Francisco, he introduced developers to PS3 Home, a free service which I believe previews Sony's long term strategy for the Playstation 3 pretty well. Critics so far have damned Sony mostly for making the PS3 so muli-functional and futureproof driving up the production costs and sales prices of the device. However I think PS3 Home will provide a good example of how all those features combined can be implemented into a great user experience!

So what is this PS3 Home? Home is a Sims-like online virtual world where a customized user (like a Sim) is able to wander around (you can switch locations using a virtual PSP), decorate his private virtual world (for instance put a picture of yourself on the wall, a picture you stored on your harddrive), chat in realtime with for instance a keyboard or through a bluetooth headset with other people in private and public locations. For instance at your home you, together with people you've invited, will be able to watch your personal video recordings you stored on your PS3 through a virtual TV (stored on your PS3), you will even be able to launch multiplayer online games together with your guests, like the game listed at the bottom of my posting. You and your friends can listen to music stored on your PS3 through your virtual audio set. Your customized Sim is able to express him- or helfself through laughing, dancing, crying, etc, people with Bluetooth sets connected will appear to be wearing a Bluetooth set in the virtual world as well, so you can easily distinguish the people you can chat with directly or through comic book style popup bubble text.

Virtual PSP:
http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/770/770993/home-20070307013735138.jpg
http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/770/770993/home-20070307013708544.jpg

Virtual Movie Theatre:
http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/770/770993/home-20070307013725951.jpg

Basketball
http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/770/770993/home-20070307013703841.jpg

Arcade machines:
http://i19.tinypic.com/2d94vn7.jpg

Pool biljards:
http://i19.tinypic.com/2vjyfm8.jpg

I think the amount of uses for this virtual world will be mind-blowing, you can go public areas and play arcade games on a virtual arcade machines, play virtual pool, bowling, other sports games, etc with your friends, go to virtual cinemas to watch movies, etc. Achievements rooms where people collect their trophies also looks very interesting, from what I've seen so far seems to be inspired by James Bond and the Galactic senate from Starwars!

In public areas there will be movie screens running movie or game trailers, there will be advert banners and posters advertising games and movies, etc. Game developers will be able to create their own rooms where they display their products and for instance if you buy their game provide you with new clothes or furniture for your private living space.

Achievements room:

I think having a look at the Home trailer, will provide more insight.
http://download.gametrailers.com/gt_vault/t_home_gdc07_h264.wmv

• Design and build your own apartment, house or even neighbourhood.
• Purchase new landscapes, apartments and furniture
World
• Purchase new clothing sets, pets and accessories for your character
• Purchase functional items to add value to your private Home experience
• Leave your mark on the world with premium player-created content tools.
Entertainment
• Share photos, movies and music from your PS3 HDD with friends in your personal space.
Gaming
• Meeting game-specific lobbies to discuss games, get new content or team up for online gameplay
Lobbies
• Individual lobbies created by first and third parties allow for consumer interaction, commerce

Also LittleBigPlanet was revealed, a Home multiplayer platformer, a game which allows users to easily create new levels:

Larger picture:
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s276/kurowasan/t_littlebigplanet_gdc07_h264_1.jpg
Video:
http://download.gametrailers.com/gt_vault/t_littlebigplanet_gdc07_h264.wmv

Last edited by MikeB on 08-Mar-2007 at 02:14 PM.
Last edited by MikeB on 08-Mar-2007 at 01:52 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
Zardoz 
Re: [Poll] How interested in the Sony Playstation 3 are you?
Posted on 8-Mar-2007 13:48:08
#2 ]
Team Member

@MikeB

I don't really get the point of this poll, however: Little Big Planet looks interesting! The video link doesn't work, can I get it from anywhere else?

Varthall 
Posted on 8-Mar-2007 13:51:11
#3 ]

@MikeB

I will be interested in the Playstation3 in about ten years, when I'll have a computer powerful enough to emulate it. Right now I'm satisfied with SNES and Playstation1 emulation

Varthall

ferrels 
Posted on 8-Mar-2007 13:52:42
#4 ]
Cult Member

@MikeB

I really wish all the talk about PS3s and Xbox was on another site that focuses on console gaming. This site is for Amigas.

Yes, the capabilities of these consoles is just phenomenal but that's not the point. I say again, this site is for people interested in Amigas. If I wanted to discuss the PS3, Xbox or any other console I'd be on a console site.

MikeB 
Posted on 8-Mar-2007 13:55:13
#5 ]
Elite Member

@AMiGR

I fixed the link.

Quote:
I don't really get the point of this poll

To get an impression of how many Amigans own or will soon own a PS3, are interested in getting one at some point or not being interested at all. I think AW has the most advanced forum poll system, so I would like to take advantage of this.

MikeB 
Posted on 8-Mar-2007 13:58:48
#6 ]
Elite Member

@ferrels

Quote:
Yes, the capabilities of these consoles is just phenomenal but that's not the point. I say again, this site is for people interested in Amigas.

Exactly and that's exactly why I think the PS3 is of interest to the Amiga community and why companies like Amiga Inc and Hyperion have been talking about this multi-functional game console:
http://amigans.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=553&forum=4

billt 
Posted on 8-Mar-2007 14:08:11
#7 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

I don't currently have any reason to buy one, and it's way too expensive to buy "just because". Someone on slashdot posted that now there's a reason to buy it, but a built-in sort of Second Life game I just can't accept as that reason. Don't care. I've got Second Life on my iBook here and don't load it up, I still havent' figured out what the point of it is. If OS4 gets ported, I might think about it, but as it is I don't know of any games I'd like for it, I've got an XB360 and my roommate has a Wii, which should keep me busy for a while in my nonexistent free time. And as I'm not myself aware of any plans for OS4 and PS3, I'll have to start paying some little attention to the "real" stuff that's actually happening for PS3 and see if there's something in there that I care about enough to pay the high price for. I don't know what games are for it, and what I have heard about (blueray movies, Second Life-alike environment) I don't have nay interest in.

As Mike seems to think that lots of companies are significantly interested in OS4 on PS3, please post links to why you feel this so I can ponder believing it myself. I'm enough out of the loop these days I may have missed something, but since I've only seen OS4 fans going on abotu this and not any developers, I don't see any "real" connection, only hopes and dreams of the users.

Last edited by billt on 08-Mar-2007 at 03:32 PM.

jorkany 
Posted on 8-Mar-2007 14:09:29
#8 ]
Cult Member

@MikeB,
Quote:
So what is this PS3 Home? Home is a Sims-like online virtual world where a customized user (like a Sim) is able to wander around (you can switch locations using a virtual PSP), decorate his private virtual world (for instance put a picture of yourself on the wall, a picture you stored on your harddrive), chat in realtime with for instance a keyboard or through a bluetooth headset with other people in private and public locations.

Oh, so it's rehashed version of GEnie then?

What's that, you don't remember GEnie? Then perhaps that is an indication of where PS3 Home might be headed. But then, Second Life seems to be doing well, so maybe it will succeed.

Speaking of PS3, how is your PS3 sales business, Fun Computing, coming along? Will you be selling only online or will you have an actual storefront? Any news to report on your talks with Sony?

Gleng 
Posted on 8-Mar-2007 14:11:54
#9 ]

I expect I'll buy one when I see one second hand with a pile of games for under £100 in a few years.

MikeB 
Posted on 8-Mar-2007 14:23:03
#10 ]
Elite Member

@jorkany

Quote:
, Fun Computing, coming along?

Quite nicely thank you, we plan not only to support the PS3 though, any planned AmigaOS4 platform like the Samantha, also Zeta, Linux, etc. But more info on this when we're ready.

I am a long time alternative OS enthusiast as you can judge from my many articles regarding AROS, AmigaOS4, MorphOS, QNX, etc.

We also hope we can help in making Amiga companies communicate more with websites like AmigaWorld.net again, like was the case in the past, personally I really miss this from this website's heydays. But it's not that strange considering some trolling and people demanding answers to questions, which would be improper to address in public.

Last edited by MikeB on 08-Mar-2007 at 02:31 PM.
Last edited by MikeB on 08-Mar-2007 at 02:27 PM.

itix 
Posted on 8-Mar-2007 14:39:50
#11 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

We also hope we can help in making Amiga companies communicate

I doubt Amiga companies have internet in their offices. If they had offices, that is.

MikeB 
Posted on 8-Mar-2007 14:50:53
#12 ]
Elite Member

@itix

Quote:
I doubt Amiga companies have internet in their offices. If they had offices, that is.

Trying to be funny? AmigaOS4 has taken hundred thousands of dollars to develop, the IP was bought for millions of dollars.

Not only do they have internet access and international offices, imagine having our own AmigaWorld.net room on PS3 Home and you being able to troll directly with people trying to push the Amiga platform forward!

I think having a look at the Home trailer, will provide more insight.
http://download.gametrailers.com/gt_vault/t_home_gdc07_h264.wmv

Maybe you can share with us your singing skills created with Singstar...
http://threespeech.com/blog/?p=274 (Trailer)

jorkany 
Posted on 8-Mar-2007 14:59:01
#13 ]
Cult Member

@MikeB
Quote:
Not only do they have internet access and international offices, imagine having our own AmigaWorld.net room on PS3 Home and you being able to troll directly with people trying to push the Amiga platform forward!

I gotta admit, this is pretty funny.

d0c 
Posted on 8-Mar-2007 14:59:12
#14 ]
Cult Member

i am not interessted at all in the Sony Playstation 3, and amigaos4.0 running on it!!!.... period! god i am tired of hearing about it from whining people that live in their fantasy air castles

AutumnSun 
Posted on 8-Mar-2007 15:04:35
#15 ]

@MikeB

Click here for the Image
My PS3 is my castle

Article in german language

Edited ""Images in threads: Images embedded in threads should be no wider than 640 pixels, larger images should be hyperlinked.""

You are free to replace the link with an image less than 640 pixels wide if you want /Tomazkid

Last edited by tomazkid on 08-Mar-2007 at 09:18 PM.

Samurai_Crow 
Posted on 8-Mar-2007 15:06:41
#16 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

If they could get a smaller foot-print OS like AOS 4 or better or Zeta I might be interested, but only if they are allowed to bypass the stinkin' hypervisor DRM garbage. I hardly ever game anymore so most of that aspect of the PS3 would be lost on me.

MikeB 
Posted on 8-Mar-2007 15:09:41
#17 ]
Elite Member

@d0c

Quote:
i am not interessted at all in the Sony Playstation 3, and amigaos4.0 running on it!!!

I can respect that the PS3, Samantha, A1s, Classic Amigas or even AmigaOS4 itself isn't interesting to everyone posting here.

Quote:
god i am tired of hearing about it from whining people that live in their fantasy air castles

I think you will have to deal with it, as this is an AmigaOS4 focussed forum and when AmigaOS4 related companies continue to be interested, like is currently the case I think you will be hearing a lot more about the PS3 here at AmigaWorld.

As for the second half of your message, opinions differ regarding its potential for the current Amiga community and maybe more importantly regarding commercial Amiga companies which would like to target customers well beyond the current userbase.

Last edited by MikeB on 08-Mar-2007 at 03:19 PM.
Last edited by MikeB on 08-Mar-2007 at 03:10 PM.

CaptainN 
Posted on 8-Mar-2007 15:13:03
#18 ]

I think when Sony starts to deflate that giant ego of theirs and when they start to create new ideas rather than take them from other consoles I may be interested.. but I don't expect that to happen anytime soon.

Kronos 
Posted on 8-Mar-2007 15:18:58
#19 ]
Elite Member

May I suggest the creation of a special PS3 forum ?

And offcourse make sure it doesn't appear on the front-page (dead-serious bout that, Mike's BS has gone beyond the point of being just annoying).

MikeB 
Posted on 8-Mar-2007 15:22:39
#20 ]
Elite Member

@Kronos

IMO an option to filter the good old MorpOS warriors like you, #AmigaZeux guys and jorkany would be nice as well.

Personally I like the general tech forum as it is now, I agree it may be nice to add an option to filter AmigaOS4 developers like the Frieden brothers and other people pushing the Amiga platform as well, so people interested in what they have to say don't need worry about discussion being spoiled by Trolling efforts.

Last edited by MikeB on 08-Mar-2007 at 03:31 PM.
Last edited by MikeB on 08-Mar-2007 at 03:26 PM.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle