Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 50 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 t0lkien:  14 mins ago
 Hypex:  54 mins ago
 Hammer:  1 hr 16 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 29 mins ago
 agami:  2 hrs 5 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs 14 mins ago
 bhabbott:  3 hrs 13 mins ago
 tygre:  4 hrs 5 mins ago
 jacadcaps:  4 hrs 10 mins ago
 minator:  5 hrs 18 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  [Poll] How interested in the Sony Playstation 3 are you?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 Next Page )
Poll : How interested in the Sony Playstation 3 are you?
Own one already (or will own one within the comings months)
Waiting for announced "killer" game or feature (PS3 Home, MGS, FF, etc)
Waiting for price drop or Slimline version
Only interested if AmigaOS4 (or an other OS woul be be ported)
Simply not interested

PosterThread
Anonymous 
Re: [Poll] How interested in the Sony Playstation 3 are you?
Posted on 20-Mar-2007 17:45:14
# ]

@MikeB

Quote:
Not in terms of money, the Nintendo Wii and PS2 are cheaper. If you take into consideration what you get for your money, the PS3 is cheapest and sold well below actual costs.

Wii and PS2 aren't next-gen consoles. PS2 is the technically weakest of the last-gen consoles but yes, it sells well. Wii is what Nintendo themselves refer to as "new-gen". That leaves us with PS3 and Xbox 360 in the next-gen category. Feel free to continue arguing otherwise, but I doubt anyone is going to agree with that particular point no matter how many sales numbers you fling around

As for cheaper Wiis: they are more expensive than Xbox 360 Core here. Once you add a component cable you're at 360 Premium price - and you get a helluva lot more power, available software and better online experience with either 360 model.

Quote:
This console isn't being produced anymore.

Then GameCube is the cheapest.

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 20-Mar-2007 17:46:03
# ]

@AMiGR

Yeah, h.264 is effective, but I believe the bitrate for the 1080p trailers is somewhat lower than what you see on purchased downloads.

Report this post  
MikeB 
Posted on 20-Mar-2007 17:53:57
#303 ]
Elite Member

@Trezzer

Yes, strange:

"As a result of H3TV's split screen cyber technology, the overflow crowd was able to witness the two rival gaming consoles being played on the same 1080p monitor at the same time."

"When 'Fight Night' is played at its highest level with the highest possible resolution, everyone was able to see Xbox 360's superiority to PS3 as clear as can be on H3TV."

Did the HDTV have a crappy scaler or something?

Quote:
Does the PS3 have multiple HDMI outputs? Does it have several gigabit ethernet ports? We can chew on that for starters.

Weren't those plans? And what do you need two HDMI or more than 0ne gigabit ethernet ports for when you constantly argued you don't need any of those anyhow? Maybe they listened to you.

Quote:
Not at all. With a little buffering at first dvd quality is very streamable

For Microsoft's servers.

Last edited by MikeB on 20-Mar-2007 at 05:56 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 20-Mar-2007 18:05:51
# ]

@MikeB

Quote:
Weren't those plans?

It's Sony. Does it matter? Promises/plans/wishful thinking is all pretty much the same thing.

Quote:

Considering that this was before the fall update for 360 both machines were running 720p (IIRC that is the resolution for the PS3 version too), so both outputs would have been scaled/native. Equal playing field.

Quote:
For Microsoft's servers.

Oh I wouldn't worry about that. Microsoft has both the money and the infrastructure to run big server farms.... It's likely to work like all other places: you have a configuration you stick to till it starts peaking too much. Then you upgrade. Obviously they hadn't anticipated the demand for the video store at first.

From what I hear the Xbox Live network has much better throughput than the Playstation Network anyway and they intend to offer movies too...

Last edited by Trezzer on 20-Mar-2007 at 06:09 PM.
Last edited by Trezzer on 20-Mar-2007 at 06:08 PM.

Report this post  
MikeB 
Posted on 20-Mar-2007 18:25:25
#305 ]
Elite Member

@Trezzer

Quote:
Considering that this was before the fall update

No wonder FNR3 for the PS3 performed worse in the US than I expected. This is not good PR for EA. IMO the Madden team deserved to be slammed far more than the devs for this game (Ok at least they received an experts award, but that didn't receive much coverage).

Quote:
for 360 both machines were running 720p (IIRC that is the resolution for the PS3 version too), so both outputs would have been scaled/native. Equal playing field.

I would like to know the technical details on this matter as the findings of professional reviewers is the opposite at least with regard to the graphics. Was HDMI used, component, composite? What are the HDTV technical specifications? Screenshots? Videos?

The only picture from the event I found:

Anonymous 
Posted on 20-Mar-2007 18:45:30
# ]

@MikeB

Judging from the picure the 360 is hooked up with component. I'm guessing the other thick-ish cable is HDMI considering VGA is not an option.

Some further details.

Considering who arranged it I'd say it's fair to assume that the proper cables were used.

Report this post  
MikeB 
Posted on 20-Mar-2007 19:36:58
#307 ]
Elite Member

@Trezzer

I really doubt this was a good comparison... Sure you may prefer the XBox 360 version, but...

Quoting someone:

"I played the hell out of the 360 version it didn't look this good. It always had a bit of old-gen gloss over it's next gen exterior. The gloss seems to be gone now.

So you know what i mean by old gen gloss."

360:
here
PS3:
here

""I have played both the Xbox 360 and the Playstation 3 versions of this game and I have to tell you, the Playstation 3 version comes out on top. The graphics are amazing! This has been one of the prettiest looking games I’ve seen so far. The amount of detail given to the boxers, from sweat beads rolling down their backs, to the flexing of their muscles and chest when breathing is truly lifelike"

FNR3 TV user shot (note the visuals are getting distorted intentionally after some beating)
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/1921/untitled34wg4.jpg

( Resistance TV shots from the same user:
http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5886/dsc01797fb7.jpg
http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/8336/untitled32qr2.jpg )

Last edited by MikeB on 20-Mar-2007 at 08:02 PM.

Anonymous 
Posted on 20-Mar-2007 19:39:16
# ]

@MikeB

The lights vary wildly from arena to arena. Comparing two different ones = no comparison at all. It's the same between different arenas on 360 itself.

The user shot looks really bad actually. The other shot looks much better and more like what the game normally looks like.

Last edited by Trezzer on 20-Mar-2007 at 07:40 PM.

Report this post  
Lou 
Posted on 20-Mar-2007 20:02:36
#309 ]
Elite Member

They look the same to me and you can't complain about what you got a months earlier...

MikeB 
Posted on 20-Mar-2007 21:09:56
#310 ]
Elite Member

European store is now open:

- GT HD Concept (free)
- Tekken DR (¤9,99)
- Blast Factor (¤4,99)
- GripShift (¤7,99)
- Lemmings (¤4,99)

Demos
- Resistance: FOM
- MotorStorm
- Blast Factor
- Formula One CE
- Lemmings
- Genji: DotB
- Ridge Racer 7

http://users.telenet.be/coasterland/psn01.jpg

The EU compatibility list shows more than 70% of PAL PS2 games will work on European PS3s, luckily for me God of War 1 & 2 should work flawlessly.

More info on Firmware 1.60:
http://threespeech.com/blog/?p=346

BrianK 
Posted on 20-Mar-2007 22:39:47
#311 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
Xbox 360 w/HDMI connector and cable in black case with a 120GB hard drive for $479 out in April... Still no WiFi, still no hi-def media player...

This is rearing it's head again. $479 wouldn't be a bad price as a 120GB hard drive is about $100. I just hope the 65nm process can be found in other systems but I could see them pushing them out in the newer version first.

It's got a HD media player you can buy and play many movies and TV shows in HighDef. 360 has one of the best HD online stores on the net.

Wifi not a huge deal as ethernet is included one can use a cable or alternatively buy a 3rd party ~$25 ethernet to wireless bridge/converter. But, yes Microsoft should have included one.

BrianK 
Posted on 20-Mar-2007 22:44:25
#312 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

The TV used was one of the few TVs that can take 2 inputs and show both on the screen at the same time. Compared side by side on the same set at the exact same time.. Can't really get much better then that. Perhaps if the TV couldn't keep up with 2 inputs on the same screen but that's what the TV is made for so I bet that's pretty unlikely.

Last edited by BrianK on 20-Mar-2007 at 10:47 PM.

BrianK 
Posted on 20-Mar-2007 23:35:32
#313 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

OMG! There's a job opening right up your alley! PS3 Fanboy is accepting applications.. Seriously you seem to have lots of PS3 energy might as well make some bling.

MikeB 
Posted on 20-Mar-2007 23:52:18
#314 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:
ompared side by side on the same set at the exact same time.. Can't really get much better then that.

Sure it can, two full size displays next to eachother.

Side by Side comparison.
http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=24032

MikeB 
Posted on 20-Mar-2007 23:58:48
#315 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

You remind me of fanboys running out of arguments, thus trying to pull discussions off topic while resorting to childishness.

Ah, so cute.

jiyong 
Posted on 21-Mar-2007 2:23:11
#316 ]
Cult Member

@Trezzer

Quote:

Trezzer wrote:
PS2 is the technically weakest of the last-gen consoles

So which consoles are the last-gen consoles?

Zardoz 
Posted on 21-Mar-2007 3:03:03
#317 ]
Team Member

@jiyong

Dreamcast, PS2, GC and XBox.

jtsiren 
Posted on 21-Mar-2007 6:26:51
#318 ]
Cult Member

I have seen screenshots of Fight Night from PS3 that look absolutely worse than Xbox 360 on the same shot, as well as screenshots that look seriously better on PS3. I think the development team has changed many a thing, just like I believe the Oblivion team has done, the Ridge Racer team did and so forth. They were not simultaneous releases, the PS3 versions came along later and improvements are natural - like the Oblivion team said they'd probably roll back the improvements to Xbox 360 version via update too. We could drag the CoD3 or other games into this that PS3 had lagging framerates etc. with, but that's not my point...

When the multi-platform releases really start happening simultaneously and developers get more acquianted with both machines (so CoD3 PS3 etc. won't happen again), then we will be in a better position to really compare. If one or the other console constantly beats the other in some manner (like Xbox beat PS2 with anti-aliasing, framerates, etc.), we can start to expect that happening because of performance differences. Right now, it is only natural that some PS3 versions have been developed further from their *older* Xbox 360 counterparts. The thing that disappointed was that some were actually worse, like PS3 CoD3.

BTW: Just to be clear, I firmly believe PS3 can be the performance leader, that is quite possible. I think the situation has been muddied by the better graphics performance (later-gen chip) in Xbox 360 and lackluster reports on PS3 performance from some developers plus the launch titles performing poorer than on Xbox 360. What the difference will amount to, or will Xbox 360 still even be better than PS3, that remains to be seen. But I do acknowledge it is possible PS3 is the performance leader, I certainly don't know otherwise.

Last edited by jtsiren on 21-Mar-2007 at 06:38 AM.

Hammer 
Posted on 21-Mar-2007 7:58:20
#319 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

Every PS3 can substitute the workload of around 10-20 PCs to help these scientists in finding cures.

Not against PCs equiped with Radeon X1900 F@H client. Also factor in 80nm SOI Mobility Radeon X1900's power consumption.

90nm Mobility Radeon X1800 has TDP between 25Watts to 35Watts.

Last edited by Hammer on 21-Mar-2007 at 09:10 AM.

hatschi 
Posted on 21-Mar-2007 8:33:45
#320 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

*cough*

I wonder if your question "How interested in the Sony Playstation 3 are you?" has been satisfactorily answered by now?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle