Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 71 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kolla:  56 mins ago
 t0lkien:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 58 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 20 mins ago
 RobertB:  2 hrs 34 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs 10 mins ago
 matthey:  3 hrs 18 mins ago
 bhabbott:  4 hrs 17 mins ago
 tygre:  5 hrs 9 mins ago
 jacadcaps:  5 hrs 14 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  [Poll] How interested in the Sony Playstation 3 are you?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 Next Page )
Poll : How interested in the Sony Playstation 3 are you?
Own one already (or will own one within the comings months)
Waiting for announced "killer" game or feature (PS3 Home, MGS, FF, etc)
Waiting for price drop or Slimline version
Only interested if AmigaOS4 (or an other OS woul be be ported)
Simply not interested

PosterThread
Hammer 
Re: [Poll] How interested in the Sony Playstation 3 are you?
Posted on 21-Mar-2007 9:02:22
#321 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

minator wrote:
Quote:
Bahahaha! Crysis already beats anything the PS3 has to date or is likely to turn out. PCs will continue to improve over the next 8 years of the PS3 lifespan, if they make that estimated 8 years. You cannot seriously believe the PS3 has the power that a PC will in 8 years do you?

That's actually a very good question, the raw flops (etc.) figures will no doubt be a great deal higher but it depends on the system's architecture as to how well they will be able to deliver it, Cell takes a lot of thought to program but it's far better at actually getting to it's theoretical maximums. It'll also scale very well, existing PC designs don't unless they are on very specific tasks.

Compare the similar scene screenshots.. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v68/pjbliverpool/Oblivion_PC.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/acason/OblivionPS3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/acason/Oblivion360.jpg

Oblivion PC edition has more objects e.g. Speedtree. In gaming context, appropriated spec'ed PC can deliver it.

Profile     Report this post  
jtsiren 
Posted on 21-Mar-2007 9:38:04
#322 ]
Cult Member

@Hammer

I think it is clear that PCs hold the upper hand in technical development. Consoles might stand a chance for a little while after their launch, and hold their own for the average PC for a while longer, but the constant evolutionary nature of PC technology development (compared to a console generation remaining static for years) will mean technical victor for the PC each and every time. Unless something dramatic happens in the tech sector...

I doubt PS3 is any different in this regard, no matter how Sony & co. like to spin it.

MikeB 
Posted on 21-Mar-2007 10:13:18
#323 ]
Elite Member

@T_Bone

Quote:
re: resistance screenshot

I can't handle an FPS without a mouse, I tried that once. Would be cool if a third party mouse could be used with these games.

A very relevant point, I share your sentiments, though I learned to live with it. UT3 will have mouse and keyboard support and I guess many other cross platform (PC) games for the PS3 will do as well. However the game Resistance was designed around the PS3's Sixaxis controller and apparently won't be getting in-game mouse and keyboard support.

There's also the issue of motion sensing becoming more relevant in FPS games, which cannot be reproduced with an ordinary keyboard and mouse. Probably we will see hybrid solutions like the following weird albeit interesting controller from Spitfish for the PS3:

Firmware update 1.6 adds support for Bluetooth keyboard and mice, a wireless Bluetooth version of the controller above is expected to follow soon.

@ Hammer

Oblivion wasn't designed around the PS3's capabilities, nevertheless judging from videos the PS3 version looks like a fine port to me Yes, on a good PC Oblivion looks even better.

Last edited by MikeB on 21-Mar-2007 at 10:16 AM.

BrianK 
Posted on 21-Mar-2007 12:56:14
#324 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

@BrianK
Quote:
Compared side by side on the same set at the exact same time.. Can't really get much better then that.

Sure it can, two full size displays next to eachother.

Execpt even then there are small differences between the same models in the same manufacture. Did they come from the same run? Is the glass manufacture the same? Is the quality of the glass exactly the same? What's the resistance across the electronics in one motherboard versus the other? Is a solder point here or there a bit weaker? Is one motherboard revision 1 and the other an improved revision 5? Did one set come from the Korean plant and the other the Mexican plant? Things are close between 2 sets but there can be differences.

Last edited by BrianK on 21-Mar-2007 at 01:01 PM.

BrianK 
Posted on 21-Mar-2007 12:58:42
#325 ]
Elite Member

@hatschi

Quote:

*cough*

I wonder if your question "How interested in the Sony Playstation 3 are you?" has been satisfactorily answered by now?

No way this was only the 5th thread I'm sure as we run to Christmas 2007 we'll see some more.

MikeB 
Posted on 21-Mar-2007 13:31:02
#326 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:
No way this was only the 5th thread I'm sure as we run to Christmas 2007 we'll see some more

This is basically my 3rd PS3 thread, one was from last year, one from January and now this one in March. Of course there have been many more threads started by others, although my threads harvested the most responses.

For your enjoyment in relation to my thread:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/09

For those who want to joke about people who don't think the PS2 is relevant anymore:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/19

BrianK 
Posted on 21-Mar-2007 13:45:16
#327 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
For your enjoyment in relation to my thread:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/09
I know others like Tigger have stated PS3s are hard to come by in their region it's NOT a problem here and hasn't been since mid-Jan. In the last 10 days I've seem PS3s at 2 Targets, Costco, Best Buy, and ToysRus. So I've viewed close to 60 in just those 4 stores. Seems a impossiblitiy statistically equivalent to 0 that I happen to visit the only 4 stores in the nation which have them in stocks. The out of stock angle is played out this ain't a problem in Minneapolis.

BrianK 
Posted on 21-Mar-2007 13:54:54
#328 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

@BrianK

Quote:
No way this was only the 5th thread I'm sure as we run to Christmas 2007 we'll see some more

This is basically my 3rd PS3 thread, one was from last year, one from January and now this one in March. Of course there have been many more threads started by others, although my threads harvested the most responses.

Mike you seem worn out or something. I stated this was the 5th thread. I didn't ever state you started 5 threads it was a comment on the # of threads I've seen here on AW. Maybe the delayed start of the PS3 in Europe or lack of 4D is stress that's getting to you? Time for a beer dude

MikeB 
Posted on 21-Mar-2007 14:12:26
#329 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Your area may be well supplied but North America as a whole is huge, so this may no actually be the case everywhere. The amount of units shipped to Canada these last few months seems very low. Maybe they wait with shipping too many units until software emulation is well in place, so they can cost reduce the North American model as well.

To quote Jamie Mohr (03/07/2007):

"Circuit City stores in my area (a Minneapolis suburb) are almost always sold out of PS3. Target is selling through pretty well too."

Anyway, the Italians couldn't wait to get their hands on the PS3 and some large retailers already started selling them (domino effect)....

Quote:
Maybe the delayed start of the PS3 in Europe or lack of 4D is stress that's getting to you? Time for a beer dude

Sorry I don't drink beer, a bit early for me to have a drink though... OK, a Sambuca with ice please!

Last edited by MikeB on 21-Mar-2007 at 02:22 PM.

Lou 
Posted on 21-Mar-2007 15:06:47
#330 ]
Elite Member

Possibly one less reason to buy a PS3:
Microsoft buying Take-Two, ´GTA´ to become Xbox360 exclusive?

PS3 for sale now in Italy: broken street date
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/03/21/italy-breaks-euro-ps3-street-date/

Last edited by Lou on 21-Mar-2007 at 03:53 PM.

jiyong 
Posted on 21-Mar-2007 17:49:42
#331 ]
Cult Member

@AMiGR

Quote:

AMiGR wrote:
@jiyong

Dreamcast, PS2, GC and XBox.

Well, unfortunately the Dreamcast didn't get the chance to show its full potential, so I'll avoid that discussion, but even when I compare the last Metroid on GC to something like God of War II on PS2, I would say PS2 is not the technically weakest.

Lou 
Posted on 21-Mar-2007 18:13:26
#332 ]
Elite Member

@jiyong

Quote:

jiyong wrote:
@AMiGR

Quote:

AMiGR wrote:
@jiyong

Dreamcast, PS2, GC and XBox.

Well, unfortunately the Dreamcast didn't get the chance to show its full potential, so I'll avoid that discussion, but even when I compare the last Metroid on GC to something like God of War II on PS2, I would say PS2 is not the technically weakest.

Compared to the GC, the PS2 only had a main memory size advantage and media size advantage. Though the GC still had more memory overall.

Infact, the GC's cpu had better performance than the Xbox's and the TEV unit for programmable shaders was rarely fully utilized as developers are lazy and love preset hardware shaders.

Look at games that were the same but optimized for each system like the Resident Evil series and you will see that the GC hands the PS2 it's butt. Even the Madden Football (American football) series will spell out the obvious. For reference, I have played the 2004 version of both and the PS2 version looked like it was cell-shaded...it had a cartoon-like look to it. Even the original 2001 version on the GC looked realistic.

Last edited by Lou on 21-Mar-2007 at 06:52 PM.

jorkany 
Posted on 21-Mar-2007 18:37:35
#333 ]
Cult Member

@hatschi
Quote:
I wonder if your question "How interested in the Sony Playstation 3 are you?" has been satisfactorily answered by now?

No kidding! Well, I don't know how things are in Europe, but in the US the question also seems to have been answered. I know quite a few gamers and so far not only have none bought a PS3, they seem to have lost all interest in it. Outside of the people I know personally, it's still obvious the PS3 is losing it's "buzz". A couple of must-have hits might pull it through, but with Sony having to resort to Flash games like flOw...well, come on! Not to say flOw isn't a fine game (or, more like "activity"), but it's hardly hit material for a console - and no matter what published stats you care to present Sony NEEDS a hit for the PS3.

Face it, the PS3 isn't doing anything new. The Wii is doing something, well, kinda new - different anyway, and it seems to be working. The buzz on Wii is strong here in the US.

I almost forgot to add, I might feel differently if I were trying to start a business selling PS3s, but that's a given.

Last edited by jorkany on 21-Mar-2007 at 07:11 PM.

Lou 
Posted on 21-Mar-2007 19:49:24
#334 ]
Elite Member

UK store has 73 pre-orders for PS3 unsold!
Run!
http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=15288

Or crawl, no hurries.

MikeB 
Posted on 21-Mar-2007 20:33:48
#335 ]
Elite Member

@jorkany

Quote:
Well, I don't know how things are in Europe, but in the US the question also seems to have been answered. I know quite a few gamers and so far not only have none bought a PS3

Imagine if the 40+ million PS2 users in North America would all run out to buy a PS3 at launch and Sony trying to meet this demand. That could pose quite a financial problem for them.

Now Sony comfortably receives royalties on many millions of software sales for Sony platforms, each month! greatly outselling combined sales from competitors. (excluding Japan, where Nintendo has been crowned the new king since 2005, this due to their enormous handheld success)

Sony has the comfort to build up the PS3 platform in terms of features, building a games library to prove the PS3's added value and meanwhile work on cost reductions. Then when the platform is cheap enough and mature enough to take over the market, the PS2 can be retired for the PS3 to take its place. From a business standpoint I believe this makes much sense.

The latest XBox 360 vs PS3 figures from Japan. (As of the 18th of March 812,750 PS3s vs 365,500 XBox 360s)

Last edited by MikeB on 21-Mar-2007 at 09:11 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 21-Mar-2007 20:38:52
#336 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

The UK received a whopping 300,000 units for launch day! IMO give credit where credits are due, Sony shipped an impressive amount of PAL units!

Anonymous 
Posted on 21-Mar-2007 20:53:36
# ]

@MikeB

IMO UK:R spins it in a more entertaining way.

Speaking of VG charts, I believe this one says it all.

Last edited by Trezzer on 21-Mar-2007 at 08:57 PM.

Report this post  
MikeB 
Posted on 21-Mar-2007 21:09:08
#338 ]
Elite Member

@Trezzer

Quote:
Speaking of VG charts, I believe this one says it all.

You mean Sony vs Sony?

I think this one would be more relevant: PSX vs PS3

When the PS2 would be due for retirement HDTVs will be cheaper and HD DVD may well be history. I expect the first true nextgen battle for christmas 2007.

Hannibal_Smith 
Posted on 21-Mar-2007 21:13:52
#339 ]

@Trezzer

Quote:

Trezzer wrote:
@MikeB

IMO UK:R spins it in a more entertaining way.

Haha, that's brilliant. It's like someone took Mike's worst nightmare and put it into HTML form.

Anonymous 
Posted on 21-Mar-2007 21:21:14
# ]

@MikeB

Not really in my opinion.

Why?

1. Playstation was not an established brand.
2. Playstation 3 is the successor to one of the biggest videogame brands in history and thus should have more momentum than a newcomer.

And finally even that looks sort of bad - notice the trend in the graph? Of course that can still change but... It should have been shooting up like the PS2.

If we look at one of the "losers" in the last generation, see how PS3 stacks up against GameCube in Japan.

Then again the PS2 did not have a fully revved up Nintendo to fight against... - which makes things different this time around.

It will be interesting to see whether the 360 can turn the tide in Japan - it is doing even poorer there than PS3 is over here. In a recent interview the Mistwalker boss mentioned that it was due to poor marketing. I guess that if they get their act together they may have a chance - well, if he is right anyway.

Report this post  
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle