Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 23 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 t0lkien:  6 mins ago
 Hypex:  45 mins ago
 Hammer:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 RobertB:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 agami:  1 hr 57 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs 5 mins ago
 bhabbott:  3 hrs 4 mins ago
 tygre:  3 hrs 56 mins ago
 jacadcaps:  4 hrs 1 min ago
 minator:  5 hrs 9 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  [Poll] How interested in the Sony Playstation 3 are you?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 Next Page )
Poll : How interested in the Sony Playstation 3 are you?
Own one already (or will own one within the comings months)
Waiting for announced "killer" game or feature (PS3 Home, MGS, FF, etc)
Waiting for price drop or Slimline version
Only interested if AmigaOS4 (or an other OS woul be be ported)
Simply not interested

PosterThread
KrasH 
Re: [Poll] How interested in the Sony Playstation 3 are you?
Posted on 24-Mar-2007 1:41:18
#481 ]

I just bought a PS3, typing this with its web browser on my TV, NOW!

Profile     Report this post  
BrianK 
Posted on 24-Mar-2007 7:37:37
#482 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
And I think DVD upscaling was added the XBox 360 through a firmware update as well (correct me if I am wrong).
My comment was that the PS3 appears to not be done. Now if the 360 isn't done or not has no impact on the PS3 being done.

Quote:
You act as if AROS with its first release should have offered every possible feature AmigaOS3.1 provides
Well the PS3 is for consumer end users and AROS is for a small hobbiest DIY group. The market is completely different between these 2 devices. This is where the PS3 has failed. It's clear their solution was rushed to market likely to compete with others and push Blu-Ray. They may win in the end but they have a lot of catching up to do . It looks as if the Engineering department released the product and it didn't go through any average consumer testing. This is one reason the PS3 will not retain the 70% marketshare enjoyed by the PS2. Sony has backslipped in the market while Microsoft and Nintendo have both gained position over last gen.

GregS 
Posted on 24-Mar-2007 9:05:42
#483 ]

@KrasH

Just got Yellow Dog loaded and running on the PS3.

The PS3 side was easy for installation, but bloody Linux, well it runs smoothly, more smoothly than any Windows version I have used, but I have not found how to adjust resolution to 1080i the highest my set allows.

At 720p it is usable but a little fuzzy as would be expected.

PS3 needs a better OS running than this. The installation of 3gigs of Yellow Dog took its time, and it takes a few minutes to boot (next time the kids allow me to get on it I will time the loading process.

Now if AmigaOS was on this machine it would really fly, there is no doubt. Linux was almost usuable which is quite a concession from me at least.

BTW, how are you going KrasH

MikeB 
Posted on 24-Mar-2007 9:58:07
#484 ]
Elite Member

@jtsiren

Quote:
It is not super-quiet (very audible fan noise compared to general consumer

I have to put my ear in my media cabinet to be able to hear it. It's not the fan noise of the XBox 360 which gets people annoyed, it's the DVD drive. IMO it's really far too loud and I've got one of the less noisy models here.

Quote:
Another note: PS3 sure likes to blink. My room is blinking from all the lights - network LED on the back of the machine keeps illuminating the wall,

It's just a standard ethernet LED to show the cable has connection, no different from the one on my PC. If it's really any issue why not just cover it up with some duct tape or a sticker, or maybe establish the internet connection through Wi-Fi?

Quote:
the Sixaxis feels like crap compared to both PS2 controllers and the Xbox 360 controller

My girlfriend loves it, light-weight easy to hold controller.

Quote:
GT HD Concept looked quite bland

The concept demo was meant to show off 1080p, what TV set do you have?

Quote:
Firmware update from the menu and registration to PlayStation online were also quite simple, although the "space bug" in typing was annoying.

Can you go into further details with regard to this? BTW, you can use USB or wireless keyboard and mice to enhance the experience.

Quote:
ithout rumble the sterile feeling just gets accentuated

BTW, you can use a steering wheel with force feedback instead.
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/1013/dsc02836dr4.jpg

Quote:
Very hard to tell how much of an added value having both consoles is. As always, the games will decide.

Maybe, in the future we can have some Motorstorm and Resistance multiplayer fun? It's free and fast! Looking forward to your further reports.

Last edited by MikeB on 24-Mar-2007 at 10:29 AM.

jtsiren 
Posted on 24-Mar-2007 10:39:29
#485 ]
Cult Member

@MikeB

Quote:
I have to put my ear in my media cabinet to be able to hear it. It's not the fan noise of the XBox 360 which gets people annoyed, it's the DVD drive. IMO it's really far too loud and I've got one of the less noisy models here.

I have the PS3 as well as the Xbox 360 out in the open, so the noise is not dampened by a cabinet. Obviously the Xbox 360 DVD drive is very noisy (I have a launch day unit), but the PS3 fans are surprisingly noisy as well. I haven't measured but the fans in PS3 may not be much more silent than the fans in the Xbox 360... just that Xbox 360 has that monster of a DVD drive that drowns it all when the disc is spinning.

Clearly PS3 wins this comparison hands down, but I guess I expected even more. It is far noisier than usual fan-using consumer electronics devices are. Can disturb movie viewing.

Quote:
It's just a standard ethernet LED to show the cable has connection, no different from the one on my PC. If it's really any issue why not just cover it up with some duct tape or a sticker?

It was just a general observation and like I said, a piece of tape will take care of it if it bothers. I doubt it will bother in the long run, one gets used to things like that. PS3 is a bit more computer-like in this regard compared to Xbox 360 with these blinking lights. Some might find them cool, but I'd like a dim-feature for them.

Quote:
My girlfriend loves it, light-weight easy to hold controller.

Different strokes then. I think PS2's Dualshock feels better and I hope a future Sixaxis will be more like it. Xbox 360 will likely continue to rule this one in my book, the Xbox 360 controller is really ergonomic and sturdy.

Quote:
The concept demo was meant to show off 1080p, what TV set do you have?

I have 1080p. From the little I have played (I will give it more of a spin for sure later) it just seems quite sterile. Sure it is sharp and moves good, so no problems there, but it doesn't feel very alive or very detailed... some of symptomps people have wondered about when discussing 1080p vs 720p. Motorstorm for instance has a much more alive surroundings.

Quote:
BTW, you can use a steering wheel with force feedback instead.

I know, and I know that the patent-issue is now solved and the U.S./Europe version of GT HD finally supports that too. That is great, this was one major minus for PS3 and now it looks like it will be solved. I am hopeful this will result in a Rumbleaxis/Shockaxis/Sixshock sometime soon. I don't think I'll buy another wheel soon though, I already have one for the Xbox 360 and those things take up a lot of room.

Quote:
Maybe, in the future we can have some Motorstorm and Resistance multiplayer fun? It's free and fast! Looking forward to your further reports.

Why not... I'm definitely watching PS3 progress with interest. I'll also have to see how to get it talking to my PSP.

miksuh 
Posted on 24-Mar-2007 11:22:28
#486 ]
Cult Member

PS3 is interesting and I would like to have one. But it's too damn expensive right now..

MikeB 
Posted on 24-Mar-2007 11:33:29
#487 ]
Elite Member

@jtsiren

Quote:
Different strokes then. I think PS2's Dualshock feels better and I hope a future Sixaxis will be more like it. Xbox 360 will likely continue to rule this one in my book, the Xbox 360 controller is really ergonomic and sturdy.

I have no issues with neither controller, but my girlfriend has really small hands and everytime when playing DOA4 together she got muscle cramps.

Quote:
some of symptomps people have wondered about when discussing 1080p vs 720p. Motorstorm for instance has a much more alive surroundings

Two very different games, I believe the GT HD Concept demo's time trials are based on a GT4 track, so I think it's best compared with the orignal. I don't know if you have played RR6 on the XBox 360, could you provide an opinion on RR6 @ 720p vs RR7 @ 1080p? A demo is available on the PSN.

Have you watched some GT HD replays?

Last edited by MikeB on 24-Mar-2007 at 11:34 AM.

GregS 
Posted on 24-Mar-2007 12:56:09
#488 ]

@MikeB

My kids found the light controller not good to begin with, but after awhile liked it - so I can't see that as a problem.

The HDMI, and HDTV standards proved immediately frustrating, as a cheap monitor for the PS3 seems problematical, HDMI to DVI cables will help, but matching resolutions is much more of a riddle.

However, going the way they have and really leaning hard towards HDTV and its related resolutions seems a good long term solution - BenQ is due to release a true HD quality LCD monitor, with HDMI, in September. It is a long wait but a proper solution.

It is an easy fix, but Sony has made a mistake with their OS interface. At the moment you reset the booting default and rely on the other OS to switch it back. It would be better to leave the default as is and introduce a "logoff" type option, closing the gameOS and opening the otherOS, which when closed would again boot the PS3 gameOS.

I have only had 20 minutes with Yellow Dog, but I crave the bright and cheerful, quick booting, OS4. Someone please please say it is going to happen (Hyperion Amiga Inc - please say it is underway).

If we could port firefox, abiword, thunderbird and maybe even OpenOffice under X11, and with Pagestream, Hollywood, PhotoAlbum, we have enough to really launch the OS into the PS3 platform. A supported USB burner, the only major consumer gap would be Video editing to begin with.

A 10 gig partition would be plenty of room, and with the price of USB drives and USB sticks other options open up readily.

If Sony is hoping to rest on Linux and unless something very special is done with it, well I don't consider it practically useful as a domestic OS. MacOSX would be a different story, but AmigaOS would be perfect; quick loading, responsive, fast and cheery (almost a perfect fit for a gaming console). We would need to change the screen prefs to fit the host environment and HDTV presets would be essential. Shutdown would be best to automatically reboot into PS3.

PS if anything like this is done, make sure the language support for Chinese is solid.

MikeB 
Posted on 24-Mar-2007 13:40:35
#489 ]
Elite Member

@Trezzer

Quote:
And I happen to trust C&VG more anyway.

C&VG games got a whole lot of free beer from Microsoft! Funnily, as I am *not* kidding you!

Anyway, finaly a more indepth comparison article which addresses the FNR3 and RR7 myths spread around by many XBox 360 fans.

"Ridge Racer 7 is definitely recommended over and above its 360 predecessor. More refined gameplay and superior graphics win the day, and if you can get to play the title in native 1080p, the visual boost compared to the Xbox rendition is palpable. Both are lovely games, but the sequel edges it."

Comparison shots of the older tracks (RR7 contains 6 even better new tracks):

Final Night Round 3

"However, it's clear that the development team has taken a look at what could be improved visually on the Xbox 360 and has enhanced the game where possible for its belated PS3 debut. The most obvious improvement is in the sheen of perspiration that builds up on your fighter's body - beads of sweat and dripping moisture are far more defined on the PlayStation 3 version, muscles and veins likewise. The lighting, although subtly different, manages to illuminate the action more convincingly and shows off more of the superb levels of detail the boxers exhibit. Also to be applauded is the change in motion blur techniques employed in the game. They're still there, but more subtly employed, again bringing out more of the detail. The comparison gallery tells its own story."

Hopefully, this helps address the bias presented in some insults I received for not agreeing with others that the XBox 360 graphics in those games were supposed to be superior. IMO keep an open mind, there is too much fanboyism advocacy involved with these consoles, so try the PS3 yourself if you are interested.

Last edited by MikeB on 24-Mar-2007 at 01:42 PM.

Anonymous 
Posted on 24-Mar-2007 14:45:11
# ]

@MikeB

Quote:
C&VG games got a whole lot of free beer from Microsoft! Funnily, as I am *not* kidding you!

I know. Good marketing stunt. Of course that whole lot of free beer was just before the PS3 launch and was merely the price difference between a 360 and a PS3 ;)

As for the two RR shots: The car models look a bit better in the PS3 version. The lighting looks much better in the 360 version (more subtle effects - look at the sky and the road). They look slightly different but I think I'd take the 360 version, since you spend more time looking at the environment than the track. That's just from a graphical point of view though. I know they have made some improvements to the core gameplay which is good.

On the FNR3 screenshot things like the left boxer's top of the shorts looks more detailed on the 360. The upper bodies look more plastic-like on PS3 but also has somewhat more definition. It's hard to judge much more because one picture has action blur. Generally I'd say the boxers in the 360 shot look more life-like, but it may just come down to the facial area being darker.

Last edited by Trezzer on 24-Mar-2007 at 02:49 PM.

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 24-Mar-2007 14:48:02
# ]

@MikeB

Quote:
I have no issues with neither controller, but my girlfriend has really small hands and everytime when playing DOA4 together she got muscle cramps.

I actually have the same issue with the dualshock. I simply can't use a dualshock-size controller for longer gaming sessions, because it's far too small for my hands. My arthritic condition in my hands kick in and I have severe irritation for hours and hours after playing it. The original Playstation controller as well as the first dual stick controller were much much better in that respect. The 360 is as close to non-stressing as I've been. I still prefer my arcade stick for DOA4 though - you just need that layout for fighting games

Last edited by Trezzer on 24-Mar-2007 at 02:49 PM.

Report this post  
jtsiren 
Posted on 24-Mar-2007 15:05:33
#492 ]
Cult Member

@MikeB

Quote:
Have you watched some GT HD replays?

I watched some now... They look nice, but oh, the jaggies galore. Clearly 1080p doesn't eliminate jaggies, anti-aliasing is still a must. Especially the car is prone to this since it is very detailed and has subtle features line a line separating the bumber from the chassis of the car, which get very jagged when the camera angle and the direction of the car change. I still feel the 1080p itself works fine, but the final GT 5 better get a lot more going on on the screen and anti-aliasing preferably too for me to really enjoy it.

Did a bit more Motorstorm too. Really, no problem with sense of speed. With boost it really moves fast. The rag-doll dynamics when you hit something and are thrown across the air in slow motion are nice too, although feel unrealistic in many cases - but the bodies do make all kinds of subtle movements and some tought has clearly gone into this effect.

Motorstorm suffers from long load times. Loading the vehicles to select is tediously long and then again a long wait until the track begins. Some loading time is usual of course, but I'd rank this above average.

The PS3 fans really do kick in after the machine has been on for a while. It makes significant noise right this moment. It is more quiet upon startup.

Edit:

I also tried to race Motorstorm with the Sixaxis motion sensing, but that really takes some getting used to. The lack of rumble is really showing in this, with the right amount of tactile feedback from the controller the motion sensing control might be easier to grasp.

Last edited by jtsiren on 24-Mar-2007 at 03:13 PM.

DiscreetFX 
Posted on 24-Mar-2007 18:02:56
#493 ]
Elite Member

PS3 is excellent, reminds me of when I got my first Amiga. Great system, love it and it gets better everyday. Bummer I have to hack and use an old firmware on my PSP to play Amiga games though, I guess it helps to have three of them in the family. Sony should open up the PSP to new developers more like they do on PS3.

Anonymous 
Posted on 24-Mar-2007 19:24:06
# ]

@DiscreetFX

Quote:
PS3 is excellent, reminds me of when I got my first Amiga.

Yeah, it's great when you get that feeling. I had the same thing with my Dreamcast. It felt like a new Amiga in spirit. I sort of had the same feeling with the Xbox 360, although it was strangely with a bit of Apple flavor - the "it just works" and a bit of wow-factor. It's as if the Xbox division is the exact opposite to the rest of the company.

I hope all of you are enjoying your new console. Funny how a new console launch gives me the "aw, new toys"-feeling even though I'm not really that interested in the console itself. It's just fun to explore something new I guess

Report this post  
DiscreetFX 
Posted on 24-Mar-2007 19:26:28
#495 ]
Elite Member

@Trezzer

Dreamcast is very cool too, I have one.

:)

MikeB 
Posted on 24-Mar-2007 19:54:50
#496 ]
Elite Member

@DiscreetFX

Quote:
PS3 is excellent, reminds me of when I got my first Amiga.

One of the first games I owned for my Amiga was Lemmings, now on the PS3 I am finally enjoying Lemmings again (didn't enjoy a lemmings game since Lemmings 2).

Tthe PS3 is almost everything I would have liked a modern version of the Amiga CD32 to be like today. The main thing needed right now is AmigaOS4!

Last edited by MikeB on 24-Mar-2007 at 08:49 PM.

Thalos 
Posted on 24-Mar-2007 20:07:28
#497 ]

@MikeB
Quote:
IMO the PS3 is almost everything I would have liked a modern version of the Amiga CD32 to be like today.

Oh dear.

minator 
Posted on 24-Mar-2007 20:43:08
#498 ]
Cult Member

Got Linux running.
Currently typing this on a Mac - which is VNC'd into the PS3 (running Firefox / Yellow Dog Linux).

I'll be writing a guide about how to do the setup.

zerohero 
Posted on 24-Mar-2007 21:48:34
#499 ]
Team Member

@MikeB

Quote:
there is too much fanboyism advocacy involved with these consoles

No!!!??? Really???

MikeB 
Posted on 24-Mar-2007 23:29:40
#500 ]
Elite Member

@zerohero

Yeah really, for instance I almost got fried for stating the PS3 performed better than the XBox 360 in the US (the XBox 360's strongest market by far) and North America as a whole during the same timespan:

A spokesman from NPD, a respected sales tracking firm, said, "figures show that the PS3 is selling slightly faster in the US than the other console did at the same stage in its release".

Just one of many examples why the flaming was really uncalled for.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle