Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 57 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kolla:  33 mins ago
 t0lkien:  56 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 35 mins ago
 Hammer:  1 hr 57 mins ago
 RobertB:  2 hrs 10 mins ago
 agami:  2 hrs 46 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs 55 mins ago
 bhabbott:  3 hrs 54 mins ago
 tygre:  4 hrs 46 mins ago
 jacadcaps:  4 hrs 51 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  [Poll] How interested in the Sony Playstation 3 are you?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 Next Page )
Poll : How interested in the Sony Playstation 3 are you?
Own one already (or will own one within the comings months)
Waiting for announced "killer" game or feature (PS3 Home, MGS, FF, etc)
Waiting for price drop or Slimline version
Only interested if AmigaOS4 (or an other OS woul be be ported)
Simply not interested

PosterThread
MikeB 
Re: [Poll] How interested in the Sony Playstation 3 are you?
Posted on 26-Mar-2007 17:00:48
#581 ]
Elite Member

Meanwhile Namco today announced that Tekken 6 will be hitting the arcades using PS3 technology.

I consider this to be excellent news, as this should allow for arcade perfect incarnations of arcade games for home PS3 users.

Sony also made some deals for 3rd party hardware developers to use Cell technology.

Last edited by MikeB on 26-Mar-2007 at 06:16 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
MikeB 
Posted on 26-Mar-2007 18:14:40
#582 ]
Elite Member

@GregS

Quote:
I don't really know who is who, so I will state it plainly. The PS3 is just a perfect match for OS4, nothing could fit better than these two.

For Kiosk uses I think the PS3 offers too much technology, overkill for the task. However IMO there would be potential using the PS3 as an early and cheapest Cell development platform. We should see the Cell used in devices which will better suit such purposes.

Lou 
Posted on 26-Mar-2007 18:51:28
#583 ]
Elite Member

Well, it looks like my launch day prediction of 500k sold was pretty dead on.

Anonymous 
Posted on 26-Mar-2007 18:57:22
# ]

@MikeB

Quote:
I consider this to be excellent news, as this should allow for arcade perfect incarnations of arcade games for home PS3 users.

That's hardly even news. That's what Playstation has had since day one.

Of course what will be really interesting is whether they port it to 360 or not and enhance it along the way ;)

Last edited by Trezzer on 26-Mar-2007 at 06:58 PM.

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 26-Mar-2007 19:01:08
# ]

@MikeB

Quote:
He proclaimed the XBox 360 inferior and stated that programming for the PS3 is more fun, more creative and more artistic.

While I realize this is just the usual marketing mumbo-jumbo: How the heck can it be more creative and artistic to *write code* for a platform? No matter which platform you write for the creativity and artistry (if one can even use those terms in relation to programming) should hopefully shine through in your code and not due to your target platform.

I kinda hope you misquoted him.

Report this post  
BrianK 
Posted on 26-Mar-2007 19:01:43
#586 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Reports are Ebay UK , Ebay France and others are showing PS3s new on Ebay are going for less then new in the stores. WOW! This happens to consoles but so soon? Demand is already that tapped out?

BrianK 
Posted on 26-Mar-2007 19:06:01
#587 ]
Elite Member

@Trezzer

Quote:

MikeB wrote: Quote:
He proclaimed the XBox 360 inferior and stated that programming for the PS3 is more fun, more creative and more artistic.

While I realize this is just the usual marketing mumbo-jumbo: How the heck can it be more creative and artistic to *write code* for a platform? No matter which platform you write for the creativity and artistry (if one can even use those terms in relation to programming) should hopefully shine through in your code and not due to your target platform.

I kinda hope you misquoted him.

Finding a single source who makes their living exclusively programming for Sony consoles who says, gasp, Sony is the best choice for my artistic vision. Surprise fanboys grab on and help them produce their smokescreen.

In the end the point was neither here nor there.

Anonymous 
Posted on 26-Mar-2007 19:11:57
# ]

@BrianK

It actually looks worse than that. It seems Xbox 360 outsold PS3 during launch.

It will be interesting to see the proper numbers. The Paris launch was certainly catastrophic with far less than 100 out of 1000 available PS3s sold. They were prepared for 3000 people at the launch event, but less than 100 showed up.

It seems the launch was pretty successful in Germany. At least a lot of people were present there. Everywhere else things have been tame at best and catastrophic at worst judging from reports.

Report this post  
MikeB 
Posted on 26-Mar-2007 19:23:34
#589 ]
Elite Member

First hard data arrives:

Record-breaking 165,000 PS3s sold at UK launch

"New format becomes fastest-selling home console ever over its debut weekend.
ChartTrack has confirmed that 165,000 PS3 units were sold during the console's launch weekend."

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/26261/Record-breaking-165000-PS3s-sold-at-UK-launch

Anonymous 
Posted on 26-Mar-2007 19:36:16
# ]

@MikeB

Ah, those numbers are good after all then. It will be interesting to see what they are like in the rest of Europe.

Report this post  
Lou 
Posted on 26-Mar-2007 20:00:02
#591 ]
Elite Member

@Trezzer

They're not that good when you take into account the 300,000 units available...

Anonymous 
Posted on 26-Mar-2007 20:06:00
# ]

@Lou

It's true that to some extent you would expect the successor to the last generation's market leader to sell out all available inventory, but on the other hand it was merely the launch and it may sell a couple more over the next few days. It's better than I expected with pricing and competition taken into consideration, though. Considering that it's a rather weak offering compared to existing solutions and that it's placed at a massive price point, I'd say that it sold quite well - at least in the UK.

Report this post  
MikeB 
Posted on 26-Mar-2007 20:06:35
#593 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

They are excellent by all measures, especially considering its not christmas anymore.

Around 220.000 units were available for launch day and about 300,000 were expected for the week (including I think ~20.000 for Ireland).

Come on, PS3 are very complex devices and much harder to produce than Wiis. IMO give credit where credit is due, Sony outshipped and outsold the competition at launch despite a higher price point.

Last edited by MikeB on 26-Mar-2007 at 08:09 PM.

Tomas 
Posted on 26-Mar-2007 20:38:19
#594 ]
Elite Member

Just checked the electronic chain again.. They still have consoles in stock, even though according to their poster they only recieved 35 consoles!

The ps3 must be doing really horrible here then..
Also the biggest online computer store here had less than 100 consoles on friday and still has 25 left today.
This store usually get around 200 wii units whenever nintendo ships and they are already sold out the same day due to preorders and such.

Anonymous 
Posted on 26-Mar-2007 20:42:17
# ]

@MikeB

Quote:
Come on, PS3 are very complex devices and much harder to produce than Wiis. IMO give credit where credit is due, Sony outshipped and outsold the competition at launch despite a higher price point.

I'll gladly give Sony credit for a successful UK launch, but not for out-shipping/out-selling the competition, who were actually making a world-wide launch instead of in one territory at a time like in the old days.

It's not as if Wii and 360 weren't in high demand. They were simply not available because a world-wide launch requires much more complex logistics. Since we're left with the unanswered question of "how would Wii/360 have sold, had they been launched one territory at a time", we simply can't compare the situations. What we can, though, is say that Sony sold better than most expected in the UK, and that's a good thing for them.

Report this post  
MikeB 
Posted on 26-Mar-2007 20:42:30
#596 ]
Elite Member

No exact figures, but (1) Resistance: Fall of Man and (2) Motorstorm topped the UK charts for the week which ended on the 24th of March. Third best selling PS3 game was Formula One.

Looks like my prediction that Resistance: Fall of Man this month will be the first PS3 game to well break a million, is now well on track.

Quote:
I'll gladly give Sony credit for a successful UK launch, but not for out-shipping/out-selling the competition, who were actually making a world-wide launch instead of in one territory at a time like in the old days.

You honestly prefer if you want a Wii to constantly have to check your local shops if they are available or not, only to be dissapointed constantly? LOL

The PS3's global launch was an enormous undertaking, Sony did not only ship to Europe but many countries outside of Europe as well.

Last edited by MikeB on 26-Mar-2007 at 08:49 PM.

Anonymous 
Posted on 26-Mar-2007 20:56:22
# ]

@MikeB

Quote:
You honestly prefer if you want a Wii to constantly have to check your local shops if they are available or not, only to be dissapointed constantly? LOL

Uhm, I'm talking about whether the launches are comparable or not - and they are not, because the conditions are very, very different. I presume you can tell the difference even if you didn't go to business college. It's not exactly rocket science.

Quote:
The PS3's global launch was

PS3 did not have a global launch. It had two that were close enough to be considered simultaneous and one far later. The Wii and the Xbox 360 had global launches. That is why the launches can not be compared with these numbers alone. Then again I've already pointed that out numerous times in this thread, but you still prefer to twist it.

Report this post  
MikeB 
Posted on 26-Mar-2007 21:07:22
#598 ]
Elite Member

@Trezzer

You seemed to slam Sony saying " like in the old days".

Quote:
360 had global launch

No the 360 did not have a global launch, only Japan, North America and Europe. It doesn't take "rocket science" to know that's not a global launch. But Microsoft severe undershipped the amount of units planned and undersold the amount of units shipped according to tracking companies.

Last edited by MikeB on 26-Mar-2007 at 09:15 PM.
Last edited by MikeB on 26-Mar-2007 at 09:14 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 26-Mar-2007 21:13:52
#599 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
Around 220.000 units were available for launch day and about 300,000 were expected for the week (including I think ~20.000 for Ireland).

For the Benelux over 44k were pre-ordered, early indications are the the PS3 sold well in Spain, Switzerland, Ireland and Sweden as well. Also regarding Germany and France the new platform seems to have sold better than the average XBox 360 fan expected (Well duh! ).

Anonymous 
Posted on 26-Mar-2007 21:15:51
# ]

@MikeB

Quote:
You seemed to slam Sony saying " like in the old days".

It's really rather matter of factly. The last two console launches were global (as the three main games territories are considered global in this sense) and the PS3 launch was not. It's not a bad thing - if it is, it's merely because Sony promised otherwise to begin with. It was a big bet for Microsoft, but it won them a lot of mindshare among the hardcore gamers, because they weren't treated differently based on their location.

And yes, Microsoft had a hard time keeping up with the high demand for the 360. It's both a good and a bad thing that Sony doesn't face the same problem.

Report this post  
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle