Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 63 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 kolla:  47 mins ago
 t0lkien:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 50 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 11 mins ago
 RobertB:  2 hrs 25 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs 1 min ago
 matthey:  3 hrs 9 mins ago
 bhabbott:  4 hrs 9 mins ago
 tygre:  5 hrs ago
 jacadcaps:  5 hrs 6 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  [Poll] How interested in the Sony Playstation 3 are you?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 Next Page )
Poll : How interested in the Sony Playstation 3 are you?
Own one already (or will own one within the comings months)
Waiting for announced "killer" game or feature (PS3 Home, MGS, FF, etc)
Waiting for price drop or Slimline version
Only interested if AmigaOS4 (or an other OS woul be be ported)
Simply not interested

PosterThread
Anonymous 
Re: [Poll] How interested in the Sony Playstation 3 are you?
Posted on 26-Mar-2007 21:17:50
# ]

@MikeB

Quote:
than the average XBox 360 fan expected

Correction: Than the gaming press expected. You seem to mix the two up all the time.

Report this post  
BrianK 
Posted on 26-Mar-2007 21:21:05
#602 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

No the 360 did not have a global launch, only Japan, North America and Europe. It doesn't take "rocket science" to know that's not a global launch. But Microsoft severe undershipped the amount of units planned and undersold the amount of units shipped according to tracking companies.

Now the 360 was not undersold everywhere. European and North American demand was not fulfilled that opening weekend and shortages were widespread.

Profile     Report this post  
Bean 
Posted on 26-Mar-2007 21:23:18
#603 ]

The ~1Mhz C64 Joystick Console with built in "on and off" switch will overtake the lot of you! mwahahahhahaha

Ahem... couldn't resist Carry on!

BrianK 
Posted on 26-Mar-2007 21:30:35
#604 ]
Elite Member

@Trezzer

Quote:

Trezzer wrote:
@MikeB

Ah, those numbers are good after all then. It will be interesting to see what they are like in the rest of Europe.

Sony Australia claimed 10,000 pre-orders and estimated to be shipping 40-60K consoles, this was from the Sony VP about a week before launch. After launch Sony, via MikeB, is claiming about 20K sold. Looks like the Wii, 360, PS3 sold the most to least of current gen in Aust. on opening weekend.

SvenHarvey 
Posted on 26-Mar-2007 21:47:44
#605 ]
Cult Member

[deleted]

Last edited by SvenHarvey on 26-Mar-2007 at 09:50 PM.
Last edited by SvenHarvey on 26-Mar-2007 at 09:50 PM.

Tomas 
Posted on 26-Mar-2007 21:51:16
#606 ]
Elite Member

@Trezzer
Is not just the delay, but is the fact that they even added to that offense by stripping the console and raising the price significantly!
Here we have to wait longer and are then rewarded with both higher prices and a worse console? It just very unfair!

I think people would be more forgiven if we was instead rewarded with a price cut.

MikeB 
Posted on 26-Mar-2007 21:58:57
#607 ]
Elite Member

@Trezzer

Quote:
Correction: Than the gaming press expected. You seem to mix the two up all the time.

I already pointed towards such indications, it's just that some people prefer any incorrect or incomplete doomsday data they can find.

Last edited by MikeB on 26-Mar-2007 at 10:15 PM.

Anonymous 
Posted on 26-Mar-2007 22:15:14
# ]

@MikeB

Quote:
I already pointed towards such indications, it's just that some people prefer any incorrect or incomplete doomsday data they can find.

Just like some prefer the data with the rose tinted glasses on?

Anyway... I find this quite exciting. It shall be interesting to see all the numbers. The Australian numbers were certainly rather disappointing compared to the UK launch.

Awww little animated picture. How mature.
That would be a dangerous game to start though considering the number of PS3 anims/pics...

Last edited by Trezzer on 26-Mar-2007 at 10:27 PM.

Report this post  
minator 
Posted on 26-Mar-2007 22:28:40
#609 ]
Cult Member

@Trezzer

Quote:
How the heck can it be more creative and artistic to *write code* for a platform? No matter which platform you write for the creativity and artistry (if one can even use those terms in relation to programming) should hopefully shine through in your code and not due to your target platform.

I get the impression that the PS3 is a lot more flexible than the 360 for programmers. The 360 requires you to use specific techniques to get the best out of it, there's a whole load of other options open to you on the PS3 - the Cell alone has dozens of programming models.

MikeB 
Posted on 26-Mar-2007 22:29:28
#610 ]
Elite Member

@Trezzer

Quote:
Just like some prefer the data with the rose tinted glasses on?

For instance I predicted slow February PS3 sales for North America about a month before the actual NPD figures arrived (,although for March I predicted a significant improvement). So, I guess you are not referring to me.

Anonymous 
Posted on 26-Mar-2007 22:38:50
# ]

@MikeB

Quote:
So, I guess you are not referring to me.

I don't see anyone else in here repeating Sony propaganda. Then again I don't see anyone else in here trying to sell something.

Report this post  
vision 
Posted on 27-Mar-2007 0:01:28
#612 ]

@MikeB

www.vgcharts.org

After the european launch. Muahahahahahaha

Last edited by vision on 27-Mar-2007 at 12:14 AM.
Last edited by vision on 27-Mar-2007 at 12:01 AM.

MikeB 
Posted on 27-Mar-2007 0:03:00
#613 ]
Elite Member

@Trezzer

You must have very strange ideas of selling things to people. A salesperson wouldn't state you are a zealous fanboy, I would!

Yes, I want OS4 to have a good future, but because *I* want to use the product myself.

Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Mar-2007 0:13:03
# ]

@MikeB

Quote:
You must have very strange ideas of selling things to people.

Actually I would say you have a strange idea of it. You will not get far by making people nauseous every time the words "Sony PlayStation 3" are mentioned. Which, by the way, you are well on your way to.

Quote:
A salesperson wouldn't state you are a zealous fanboy, I would!

Unlike you I own multiple platforms and merely argue against misrepresentation of one. Try the mirror sometime.

And considering the propaganda you keep spewing here, it has gone far beyond mere interest. At this point it can only be to get a positive buzz going (since you seem to think that will actually happen from propaganda), so you can avoid paying advertising fees on here. It has gone far beyond normal fanboyism a long time ago.

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 27-Mar-2007 0:13:59
# ]

@vision

I do not think it has been updated yet, though. It only went up 100k over the last week or two.

Report this post  
jiyong 
Posted on 27-Mar-2007 4:36:50
#616 ]
Cult Member

@Trezzer

Quote:

Trezzer wrote:
@vision

I do not think it has been updated yet, though. It only went up 100k over the last week or two.

I guess he wants to say he isn't impressed by the 520K sold during the European/Australian launch. That's about 500K * 599 ~= 300 million euro on the machines alone. I know some countries have a higher price, but this calculation was easier.

But I guess it isn't exactly a good sign when people have to guess the meaning of your one-liners. Although it could be that we lack the intellect of vision.

jtsiren 
Posted on 27-Mar-2007 6:58:16
#617 ]
Cult Member

@MikeB

Quote:
Sony outshipped and outsold the competition at launch despite a higher price point.

Apparently in the U.K.? But not for instance in Australia as I quoted earlier. I expected them to out-sell Xbox 360 everywhere with the bigger stock and bigger brand name.

I expected huge queues everywhere like on PS3 American launch, Wii and Xbox 360 launches. Apparently so did Sony considering how it turned out in France, they were expecting a lot of people that never showed up. Maybe they are just trying to milk Europeans for too much on the price, or the PS3 hype has died a bit world-wide since the initial launch and lackluster reporting since.

We'll see if that six million sold by end of March holds.

Last edited by jtsiren on 27-Mar-2007 at 07:01 AM.

MikeB 
Posted on 27-Mar-2007 7:34:23
#618 ]
Elite Member

@Trezzer

Quote:
Actually I would say you have a strange idea of it. You will not get far by making people nauseous every time the words "Sony PlayStation 3" are mentioned. Which, by the way, you are well on your way to.

I think the behaviour by XBox 360 caused some people to not want to talk about the PS3's potential with regard to AmigaOS4. It's far more unlikely OS4 will ever be ported to the X360, yet we see all kinds of Microsoft Xbox 360 propaganda, very strange for an Amiga forum if you ask me.

What I am going to say, isn't going to take a rocket scientist to understand, but you calculate how much money do I earn when I pointed to Amazon, Future shop, Media Markt sales figures, facts, etc? What do I gain when people bought their PS3s there? So, please get off your high horse and don't act as a fool.

Quote:
Unlike you I own multiple platforms and merely argue against misrepresentation of one.

No my friend, Sony disgusts you and you misrepresent them and their products all of the time!

MikeB 
Posted on 27-Mar-2007 7:57:45
#619 ]
Elite Member

@jiyong

Quote:
I guess he wants to say he isn't impressed by the 520K sold during the European/Australian launch.

If those launch weelend figures are correct and I compare this to the XBox 360's total sales for the holiday season in 2005 (390k for Europe) the weekend even outperformed my expectations.

@ Trezzer

I have nothing against the XBox 360, that's why I advised my parents to get a XBox 360 for my kid sister a year ago, but it's fanbase with people like you are quite annoying. I received too many insults from you, especially annoying because you were actually wrong on so many occasions. (Ok, Microsoft's reactions to the PS3 have been childish and annoying as well)

@ jtsiren

Quote:
Apparently in the U.K.? But not for instance in Australia as I quoted earlier. I expected them to out-sell Xbox 360 everywhere with the bigger stock and bigger brand name.

Yes, I was talking about UK figures, the only hard data we have right now and I am also thinking of the North American and Japan launch, where Sony shipped more units than Microsoft shipped to 3 parts of the world than Sony did in only 2.

With regard to Australia please note that complete figures are yet unknown and incomplete data suggests the PS3 would still be the third fastest selling game console for Australia at a much higher price point than other consoles. Anyway you are comparing 3 days of sales to 4 days of sales!

Anyway there seems to be a sizeable high-end gaming market, people willing to pay the extra bucks for a more advanced multi-functional device. I think this should be applauded, I would have been very dissapointed if Sony tried to compete with the lowend market with the PS3, IMO that's a much better market segment suited for the PS2 to target.

Last edited by MikeB on 27-Mar-2007 at 08:03 AM.
Last edited by MikeB on 27-Mar-2007 at 07:59 AM.

MikeB 
Posted on 27-Mar-2007 8:28:40
#620 ]
Elite Member

MikeB wrote:

Quote:
For instance I predicted slow February PS3 sales for North America about a month before the actual NPD figures arrived (,although for March I predicted a significant improvement). So, I guess you are not referring to me.

Within an earlier posting I pointed towards no high profile games being released for the month and indications of hardware constraints. With regard to the latter the following quote may be interesting to note:

Ray Maguire: "The truth of the matter is that we've stopped the supply to the US because we're making PS3s for our launch. The reason sales are low is because I've just put in loads of product to the UK in order to have the largest launch of a console in UK history."

Last edited by MikeB on 27-Mar-2007 at 08:29 AM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle