Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 98 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

RobertB

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 RobertB:  2 mins ago
 Hammer:  9 mins ago
 agami:  57 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 7 mins ago
 JKD:  2 hrs 1 min ago
 AmigaMac:  3 hrs 38 mins ago
 minator:  4 hrs 7 mins ago
 matthey:  4 hrs 13 mins ago
 eliyahu:  4 hrs 32 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  A good text editor
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
olsen 
Re: A good text editor
Posted on 14-Apr-2005 18:19:31
#21 ]
Cult Member

@ChaosLord

Quote:

ChaosLord wrote:
@olsen

Quote:

olsen wrote:
I'm working on update for CygnusEd, if you can wait a little longer...

No I can't wait! Please hurry!
GO OLSEN GO!

Please add folding just 4 me

I hope it works on both os 3.x and 4.x

The editor's architecture does not allow for folding. Fixing the code to make folding possible would amount to throwing the editor's core functionality away and to reimplement it from scratch.

The CygnusEd update I'm working on in my little spare time should cover both OS4 and OS 3.x.

Profile     Report this post  
Dwyloc 
Posted on 14-Apr-2005 18:23:10
#22 ]

@olsen

Quote:
The CygnusEd update I'm working on in my little spare time should cover both OS4 and OS 3.x.

That's really good news as I use it all the time under WinUAE so an update that we can use with both OS4 and OS3.X will be welcome :)

4MB Minimig with ARM addon boar

Mobileconnect 
Posted on 14-Apr-2005 18:43:35
#23 ]

You can get turbotext free now from my website, courtesy of the author. It does have some OS4 caveats though. and no text highlighting

Georg 
Posted on 14-Apr-2005 18:59:32
#24 ]

@treblesix

As already mentioned once there are some good open source text editor/text editor engines out there some of which seem to be (very?) easy to port and offer some features not available (AFAIK) in any/most Amiga text editors. Like automatic fold generation (in a .c file type a { } block and it automatically generates a fold for the block) or realtime (!) word completion (type in some struct definition then write something like mystruct.a, press CTRL RETURN and it shows in a popup list all the fields of your struct whose name starts with "a").

One such text editor/textedior engine is Scintilla / SciTE.

Trixie 
Posted on 14-Apr-2005 19:48:23
#25 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@treblesix

Quote:
Anyone know of a decent free text editor ?

One word: microgolded. It's not free but 10 EUR will fit any budget.

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

AmiKit 
Posted on 14-Apr-2005 21:03:33
#26 ]

@Trixie

Quote:
One word: microgolded

I agree

olsen 
Posted on 15-Apr-2005 9:12:29
#27 ]
Cult Member

@JCC

Quote:

JCC wrote:
@olsen
Quote:
I'm working on update for CygnusEd, if you can wait a little longer...

Great news. And, good luck on your coding.

Do you have a feature list, or new feature list?

Regards,
JCC

Right now all I can offer is the same feature set as in the last CEDPro4 update, plus bug fixes and a working OS4 port.

I'm currently looking around what might make a good addition to the current feature set within the existing editor framework (CygnusEd keeps the entire document in one consecutive chunk of memory. All its editing and search operations are tailored for this architecture).

Enhancement requests are always welcome (except for folding and syntax colouring; CygnusEd can't do that)!

A1200 
Posted on 15-Apr-2005 9:24:33
#28 ]
Elite Member

If you have to get by on Workbench's ED, remove the file ed-startup file in S: It activates loads more functionality, which for doing basic scripts etc. I think it is quite a useable app.

dietmar 
Posted on 15-Apr-2005 10:05:08
#29 ]
Cult Member

@olsen
> CygnusEd keeps the entire document in one consecutive chunk of memory. All its editing and search operations are tailored for this architecture

Out of curiosity, is it strictly consecutive or a gap buffer organization?

olsen 
Posted on 15-Apr-2005 12:06:05
#30 ]
Cult Member

@dietmar

Quote:

dietmar wrote:
@olsen
> CygnusEd keeps the entire document in one consecutive chunk of memory. All its editing and search operations are tailored for this architecture

Out of curiosity, is it strictly consecutive or a gap buffer organization?

It's exactly one single consecutive buffer, and there's nothing in it but the text. That's what makes buffer recovery so simple with RecoverCEDFiles: you just search for the magic cookie data in memory, and when you find it you just save the chunk of memory following it to disk. It also simplifies search operations and it makes display updates fast. But it complicates just about everything else, especially when documents become very large. Insertion at the top of a file can become quite a lengthy process for large documents.

You probably wouldn't implement a text editor like this today...

Severin 
Posted on 15-Apr-2005 12:34:51
#31 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

olsen wrote:

Enhancement requests are always welcome (except for folding and syntax colouring; CygnusEd can't do that)!

How about a 'repeat until done' option (like Edge has) as well as the 'repeat xxx times' option.

I often execute a macro several hundred times in a documents to reformat or rearrange data, now I do a search & replace if possible to find out how many times I need to run the macro, then an undo, and finally repeating the macro the number pf times reported by the replace.

Being able to 'repeat until done' would make things much easier, just having the macro repeat over and over untiil it hit's an error then undoing until the beginning of the macro iteration that caused the error.

Visit the Official OS4 Support Site for more help.

It may be that your sole purpose is to serve as a warning to others.

saimo 
Posted on 15-Apr-2005 13:34:39
#32 ]
Elite Member

@thread

Not long ago I found FrexxEd, and it turned out to be one of the best things for the Amiga. It is M68k, but works nicely on AOS4 (although it rarely crashes when closing a buffer).
It's in practice a fully programmable CygnusEd: it is entirely driven by a language called FPL and comes with plenty of FPL programs to add all the funcionalities one could ever think of (from syntax highlighting to games).

The website is http://www.contactor.se/~dast/frexxed/

saimo

Jose 
Posted on 15-Apr-2005 14:22:53
#33 ]
Cult Member

@olsen

I'd like to be able to configure the text colors independently from the menu text. 8 colors would be nice.
Also, there could be a default directory (or directories ;) ) that the user could set up as the one the program goes everytime an open or first save/save as is made.

José

JCC 
Posted on 15-Apr-2005 15:22:56
#34 ]

@olsen
Quote:

That's a dangerous proposition to make, here's my wish list:
1) Remove the 1024(?) character line length limit (infinite or 32 bit integer)
2) Display word-wrap to window width (without refomartting the file)
3) Use leading blanks/tabs to set the left margin of word wrapping a block of text
4) Intuition windows on the custom screen for multiple documents
  a) Intuition windows on the custom screen for multiple views of a document
  b) Vertical and Horizontal window tiling (possibly with list of window to choose for tiling).

Ok, I think that is more than enough (not that I couldn't come up with more), and thanks for considering our requests.

Regards,
        JCC

TrebleSix 
Posted on 15-Apr-2005 15:48:56
#35 ]
Elite Member

I have downloaded some of the suggestions, and will look over them @ the weekend.
Cheers

olsen 
Posted on 16-Apr-2005 9:25:16
#36 ]
Cult Member

@Severin

Quote:

Severin wrote:
Quote:

olsen wrote:

How about a 'repeat until done' option (like Edge has) as well as the 'repeat xxx times' option.
[..]

Yes, this "repeat until done" feature was suggested before, and it's already on my list of features. CygnusEd already has a feature which lets you pick how many times to repeat an operation. You can find it in the "Special" menu under "Repeat key/menu...".

olsen 
Posted on 16-Apr-2005 9:40:32
#37 ]
Cult Member

@JCC

Quote:

JCC wrote:
@olsen
Quote:

That's a dangerous proposition to make,

You'll never grow an application unless you invite comments for improvement. However, there's always so much you can do until you hit a barrier of sorts. With CygnusEd it's how the text is managed and displayed. And that's central to the editor's operation...

Quote:

here's my wish list:
1) Remove the 1024(?) character line length limit (infinite or 32 bit integer)

The limit is currently set to 32000 characters. Which isn't much, but it used to be worse. The reason why there's a limit to this is that the editor has to have that much memory allocated all the time to copy the contents of the line currently being edited over. When you hit a key and this character is inserted into the document at the cursor position, what really happens is that upon the first key strike the editor copies the entire line under the cusor into that 32000 character buffer. Subsequent editing operations on this line are performed in this buffer. When the cursor leaves that line, the 32000 character buffer contents are copied back into the document. This is one of the peculiarities of the editor's design. That's why the 32000 character buffer has to be preallocated. Now if you wanted a larger line length limit, say 2 GBytes , then that much memory would be permanently claimed by the editor and unavailable to everybody else...

Quote:

2) Display word-wrap to window width (without refomartting the file)

CygnusEd performs line breaks only when it detects a line break character in the text, such as a line feed, carriage return, etc. This another of those features central to the editor's architecture, I'm afraid

Quote:

3) Use leading blanks/tabs to set the left margin of word wrapping a block of text

Could you elaborate?

Quote:

4) Intuition windows on the custom screen for multiple documents
a) Intuition windows on the custom screen for multiple views of a document
b) Vertical and Horizontal window tiling (possibly with list of window to choose for tiling).

Yes, I know what you mean. CygnusEd's display function isn't designed for this, though. It can handle multiple vertical views, but that's pretty much it.

Quote:

Ok, I think that is more than enough (not that I couldn't come up with more), and thanks for considering our requests.

Regards,
JCC

I'm sorry, but the features you requested are currently far away from what the editor could be modified to do with reasonable effort. It really looks like I ought to put some time aside to do what I wanted to do for all these years: write my own text editor from scratch. I really miss the folding feature from TurboText, but in TurboText I really miss the macro support and the undo/redo capabilities of CygnusEd...

olsen 
Posted on 16-Apr-2005 9:43:40
#38 ]
Cult Member

@Jose

Quote:

Jose wrote:
@olsen

I'd like to be able to configure the text colors independently from the menu text. 8 colors would be nice.

Why stop at 8 colours? But you are definitely correct. The current limitation of colour choices is still more or less a result of the display rendering optimizations in the original CygnusEd. Now that I've rewritten larger parts of the cursor and block marker rendering code I think we can finally lift the text rendering colour limitation.

Quote:

Also, there could be a default directory (or directories ;) ) that the user could set up as the one the program goes everytime an open or first save/save as is made.

Could you provide me with an example of how this should work?

dietmar 
Posted on 16-Apr-2005 16:06:22
#39 ]
Cult Member

@glwxxx
Quote:
If you like CygnusEd, you will love MicroGoldEd, it's simple but powerfull texteditor, it's about 10 euro only (or so)... try it and support it!

Actually, it has been discontinued as stand-alone program last year, since then it was only available as part of the bigger packages. Since some people seem to like it (sales numbers didn't give me that impression last year) I've put a few final licenses on ebay for ~3 EUR each.

mwoof 
Posted on 16-Apr-2005 16:16:11
#40 ]

@Andre4s

Quote:
emacs .. if it exist for Amiga

AmigaOne G3-SE, OS4 Final (July 2007 update), Debian Sarge, 512 MB RAM, 20 + 80 GB hard disks, NEC 3540 DVD writer, LG DVD reader, Radeon 9250, SB Live, Intracom Netfaster router, PCI USB card (NEC - OHCI/EHCI)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle