Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
6 crawler(s) on-line.
 104 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Matt3k:  32 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  49 mins ago
 RobertB:  51 mins ago
 cip060:  1 hr 22 mins ago
 sibbi:  1 hr 31 mins ago
 blmara:  2 hrs 9 mins ago
 Karlos:  2 hrs 9 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 33 mins ago
 zipper:  3 hrs 10 mins ago
 pavlor:  3 hrs 41 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Amiga Inc. Loses U.S. Trademarks
Register To Post

PosterThread
fishy_fis 
Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc Trademark
Posted on 17-Jul-2022 4:28:51
#1 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Somewhat hilarious that you would ask what difference open source OS would make then go on to mention products running on open source OSes coupled with licensed IP as examples of open source and IP being inconsequential.

Your ignorance appears to know no bounds. You showcase this time, time, and time again, but in true form are always too oblivious to see it.

Profile     Report this post  
 Top | Parent

Replies
SubjectPosterDate
      Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc TrademarkBigD17-Jul-2022 18:03:45
          Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc Trademarkamigang16-Feb-2023 10:09:56
              Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc Trademarknumber616-Feb-2023 12:10:30
                  Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc TrademarkDiscreetFX16-Feb-2023 13:50:26
                  Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc Trademarkamigang17-Feb-2023 14:33:40
                      Re: Cloanto acquire Amiga Inc TrademarkDiscreetFX17-Feb-2023 22:26:28

PosterThread
amigang 
Posted on 16-Jul-2022 18:42:00
#1 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:
Does it even matter anymore? What are we fighting over? The right to open source AmigaOS? What difference would that actually make? I fail to see what AmigaOS3.2 has brought to the table in terms of new apps and functionality. Open Source would provide more of the same with less direction and guidance presumably and more different distro flavours? I'd probably still use OS3.9 even after all of that!

I know what you mean, the more these company fight over the scraps the more the community will just find ways around it, Vampire / Apollo team proved this, they where going to try and work with updating Workbench but due to licensing issues moved to Aros.

Plus Im not sure of the big plan from either Cloanto / Hyperion is if they win the rights to the OS is?

Community projects and third party plans are much better / interesting that either these companies are offering, A500 mini, Pistorm, Amikit XE, Pimiga, Checkmate, etc, yes small improvement to the classic OS and Emulation is welcome but we need project that gives the Amiga world more exposer that will expand the Amiga user base.

I think A500 mini has helped, the facebook group recently passed 5,000 users, which is not bad, but also not amazing, I cant help but feel the product was too basic and too much in asking price to be really successful, I think if it goes half price it will be more of impulse buy / stocking filler price and i'm glad that most of the hacks / mods made for the system are pretty easy to install / setup for end users that we may attract more user into our world.

Top | Parent

PosterThread
NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 16-Jul-2022 13:59:25
#1 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

I think your correct will result in different distribution of AmigaOS, like you have now with AROS, this will complicate things, as different components written by different people result in incompatibility’s. like for example SFS.

Its also a matter of dependencies, as some one who writes software, I want things to be as simple as possible, copy file to system and run, no need to mess around with package managers.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 16-Jul-2022 at 02:02 PM.

Top | Parent

PosterThread
BigD 
Posted on 16-Jul-2022 10:07:17
#1 ]
Elite Member

@Thread

Replying to myself as I don't want to leave this on a downer until the judge reports a bowel movement or something!

I guess a court case verdict would bring confidence and stability to the market. Stephen Jones might be able to license some trademarks and Amiga Addict and RetroPassion could get official deals to avoid skirmishes with AmigaKit. I guess everyone would know where they stand which would be nice.

Top | Parent

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle