Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
0 crawler(s) on-line.
 67 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Dragster

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Dragster:  16 secs ago
 agami:  1 hr 47 mins ago
 A1200:  2 hrs 12 mins ago
 HammerD:  2 hrs 26 mins ago
 ppcamiga1:  2 hrs 53 mins ago
 slygon:  3 hrs 25 mins ago
 amigakit:  4 hrs 20 mins ago
 Karlos:  4 hrs 52 mins ago
 MagicSN:  4 hrs 53 mins ago
 kolla:  5 hrs 43 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /  Forcing Your Religion Down the Throats of Others [ moderation free zone ]
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
PosterThread
jkirk 
Re: Forcing Your Religion Down the Throats of Others [ moderation free zone ]
Posted on 25-May-2005 12:48:50
#221 ]
Elite Member

@Kay

this is as i feel.

Win•dows: n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

Profile     Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 25-May-2005 12:51:20
# ]

@Kay

Very well said.

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 25-May-2005 12:52:21
# ]

@jkirk

There was a huge rash of such cases in the 80s and 90s that have later on been totally discredited. Most of the ones I know about are in the UK. I used to be quite keen on justice, now I don't care, unless someone accuses me of course.

A high profile one is documented here:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0342172/

..from the states.

This one does strain your sense of judgement somewhat as the man accussed is guilty of something, but as an insight into how the justice system works, how some people can fail to support their own families and push family members into pleading guilty, and how sometimes lawyers are everyones worst enemy.

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 25-May-2005 13:19:43
# ]

Well jkirk,

You have an ability I lack. Maybe my DNA is corrupted.

There are people who believe in god, and "know" he exists. What gives them that knowledge is beyond me. I choose to make sure there is a god, before I subscribe.

I expect tangible evidence, nothing less is acceptable.

There's what, 5,000 or so gods, and all cling to the (oh so convenient) tenets "believe mine", "have faith".

Uhh, yeah, okaaaaay.

Fugitabutit!!! (sp.)

I demand proof. Arrogant? Yeah, so's god, get on his case too.

God wants my "soul"?, he should work for it. Show up and say hi.

They say Jesus did all these great things like healed people. Well, those people are now dead. So he only helped them a bit. There are doctors that perform 200 life saving operations a year. Did Jesus help that many people? We don't know. But I do know that just like Jesus theoretically did, doctors are also able to save lives and heal the sick.

Actually, other than healing, I don't think there's much else good that he did.

Report this post  
nicholas 
Posted on 25-May-2005 13:35:09
#225 ]

@Atheist

Quote:

Atheist wrote:
Quote:
nicholas wrote:
@Atheist

This thread is about forcing your religion down the throats of others.

Now I know you are an atheist, but you do have beliefs, and you are forcing them down the throats of other people right now by making fun of people with Judeo-Christian/Islamic beliefs.

This is no better than Billsey telling me I am nothing because I don't believe in his God.

Think about it.

Hi nicholas,

Making fun of his religion? Pushing my religion down his throat?

If I wanted to make fun of his religion I'd say "Every game of (Advanced) Dungeons and Dragons ever played that had religion in it WAS A REAL religion, and thank goodness there were worshipers of those gods."

As for pushing my religion down his throat, the Christian religion is all around me, at every turn, and it makes me sick.

Science, in my eyes has done WAY WAY WAY WAY more than any religion ever has to cure social ills.

I promote that science should be the highest budgeted concern of governments.

If religion wants my ear it better make sense, and it doesn't, so I discard it instantly.

That's what all religion doesn't want, scrutiny.

That's what you get when you indoctrinate people so young right from when they can talk, about the merits of "godhead" and such .... . You get people that will fall on a sword, literally.

(Boy, where's all the venom coming from???)

I despise deceit.

Why does it bother you so much that some people have these beliefs? Telling them they are wrong repeatedly isn't going to change their mind. Just like them telling you repeatedly that you are wrong won't change your mind. So why do it?

Live and let live.

Moderated by Wiffy, reason: quoted borderline comment being edited out to allow the thread to be returned to free-for-all.

Last edited by Wiffy on 30-May-2005 at 01:24 PM.

Anonymous 
Posted on 25-May-2005 13:41:44
# ]

Quote:

nicholas wrote:
@Atheist

Quote:

Atheist wrote:

I despise deceit.

Why does it bother you so much that some people have these beliefs? Telling them they are wrong repeatedly isn't going to change their mind. Just like them telling you repeatedly that you are wrong won't change your mind. So why do it?

Live and let live.

Hi nicholas,

"What if everything you were ever told was a lie", or something like that, wouldn't that make you mad?

"So why do it?", because of that last line of my post, above, in your quote.

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 25-May-2005 13:47:11
# ]

Oh and, the ones that "believe" are being used, manipulated, controlled, and robbed of their money.

Time spent in a church is better spent having a barbeque in the backyard with close friends, or meeting new people.

Report this post  
nicholas 
Posted on 25-May-2005 13:51:49
#228 ]

@Atheist

Quote:

Atheist wrote:
Oh and, the ones that "believe" are being used, manipulated, controlled, and robbed of their money.

Time spent in a church is better spent having a barbeque in the backyard with close friends, or meeting new people.

In your opinion. Everyone is different, that is what makes the world such a great place, despite it's many faults.

As a wise Texan once said on a reality TV show I saw once said:-

"Opinions are like arseholes. EVERYONE has them".

nicholas 
Posted on 25-May-2005 13:52:51
#229 ]

@Atheist

Quote:

Hi nicholas,

"What if everything you were ever told was a lie", or something like that, wouldn't that make you mad?

"So why do it?", because of that last line of my post, above, in your quote.

So you think trying to bully people into believing the same as you is not a bad thing?

-edit

You think there is no God. You can't prove it. Religious folk believe there is God(s). They can't prove it.

Just enjoy your life, don't dictate to others how they should think and behave. It's not good for your karma.

Last edited by nicholas on 25-May-2005 at 02:00 PM.
Last edited by nicholas on 25-May-2005 at 01:54 PM.

Anonymous 
Posted on 25-May-2005 14:07:31
# ]

Quote:

nicholas wrote:
@Atheist

So you think trying to bully people into believing the same as you is not a bad thing?

-edit

You think there is no God. You can't prove it. Religious folk believe there is God(s). They can't prove it.

Just enjoy your life, don't dictate to others how they should think and behave. It's not good for your karma.

Hi nicholas,

I'm not sure how I'm bullying anyone.

But I'd like to see what would happen if everyone decided, rightfully, that god had to reveal himself, before he would get any more worship from us. As an experiment, of course.

Well, biblically, some quite dire wrath and mayhem would occurr, I'd imagine. That's his favourite pastime, as exemplified in the "Tower of Babel" incident. Then there's the "Flood" incident, as well.

But you see, you would mistake my ignorance of god as a desire for a hedonistic lifestyle. What's wrong with that? IN MODERATION, of course, because it doesn't work if you run it 24/7.

Report this post  
jkirk 
Posted on 25-May-2005 14:15:59
#231 ]
Elite Member

@Wiffy

Quote:

Wiffy wrote:
@jkirk

There was a huge rash of such cases in the 80s and 90s that have later on been totally discredited. Most of the ones I know about are in the UK. I used to be quite keen on justice, now I don't care, unless someone accuses me of course.

A high profile one is documented here:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0342172/

..from the states.

This one does strain your sense of judgement somewhat as the man accussed is guilty of something, but as an insight into how the justice system works, how some people can fail to support their own families and push family members into pleading guilty, and how sometimes lawyers are everyones worst enemy.

yea the justice system is one strange beast. what is acceptable one time is unacceptable in another. down here in the south where i live we have such a popular joke about backwoods southern lawyers and stories to back it up that reba macintire wrote "the night the lights went out in georgia".
this is a country song so at least read the lyrics it is very scathing.

Last edited by jkirk on 25-May-2005 at 02:16 PM.

Win•dows: n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

jkirk 
Posted on 25-May-2005 14:22:44
#232 ]
Elite Member

@Atheist

Quote:

you realize there is a major difference between i don't believe and you are a frickin idiot who has been misled by con artists and thugs if you believe this. can you see the difference. one says i dont believe the other says you better not believe.

Agafaster 
Re: Forcing Your Religion Down the Throats of Others
Posted on 25-May-2005 14:39:31
#233 ]

@BrianK

Quote:
No, no, no.. If he weighs the same as a duck then he's a witch.

ha ! caught ! I knew I could bring Monty Python into this thread !!

after all, what use is a thread on a techie website about religion, if Monty Python is not also involved ?

Anonymous 
Posted on 25-May-2005 14:57:04
# ]

@jkirk

Look human, God was just a practicle joke played on Earth by some alien students. They are getting pretty sick of all the worshiping and the praying. Kindly cease

Quote:

you realize there is a major difference between i don't believe and you are a frickin idiot who has been misled by con artists

So what if you are a fricking idiot who has been misled by con artists. You are not the only one. Humans are generaly stupid creatures anyway. Don't feel ashamed

/me buggers off for the day

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Re: Forcing Your Religion Down the Throats of Others
Posted on 25-May-2005 15:02:33
# ]

@Agafaster

Hes not the messiah, hes a very naughty boy..

Report this post  
BrianK 
Posted on 25-May-2005 15:04:52
#236 ]
Elite Member

@jkirk

Quote:

reba macintire wrote "the night the lights went out in georgia".

While I'm not huge country fan I got to be punished as a youth as Dad forced me to listen to it. Wasn't that song out in the late 70's and early 80's by Vicki Lawrence? I don't think Reba wrote it just recorded her version of it. Vicki frequently didn't write her own music. Her husband Bobby Russell wrote many of her songs. While I'm not sure who did it, and don't really care, I'd place my money on him. But, it's not Reba.

Now back to Queens of the Stone Age... "Burn the witch... Burn to ash & bone"

nicholas 
Posted on 25-May-2005 15:07:02
#237 ]

@Atheist

Quote:

Atheist wrote:
Quote:

nicholas wrote:
@Atheist

-edit

Hi nicholas,

But I'd like to see what would happen if everyone decided, rightfully, that god had to reveal himself, before he would get any more worship from us. As an experiment, of course.

Well, biblically, some quite dire wrath and mayhem would occurr, I'd imagine. That's his favourite pastime, as exemplified in the "Tower of Babel" incident. Then there's the "Flood" incident, as well.

But you see, you would mistake my ignorance of god as a desire for a hedonistic lifestyle. What's wrong with that? IN MODERATION, of course, because it doesn't work if you run it 24/7.

RE:Bullying. You are forcibly projecting YOUR opinions on others who don't want to know them, and ridiculing them for not agreeing. No different to what Billsey does.

RE:Hedonism
I lived a 100% hedonistic lifestyle (Hardcore Rave Scene) for close to ten years 24/7/365. It never did me anyharm.

Anonymous 
Posted on 25-May-2005 15:45:53
# ]

I quite agree actually, from an 'outside' perspective Billsey and Athiest are pretty equal.

Report this post  
hairyneanderthal 
Posted on 25-May-2005 15:48:17
#239 ]

@Billsey

Your post has generated over 230+ posts.
Seeing as you posted this topic in the first place don't you feel you ought to try to answer some of the reactions to it so far?
I bring this up because it seems you have a tendency to post often (and more often than not with very contentious topics) but never ever seem to stick around when the punches start swinging? Why is that exactly? Do you really actually want to debate these matters? Or are you merely mud slinging?

Anonymous 
Posted on 25-May-2005 15:52:45
# ]

@hairyneanderthal

Well you aren't the only one that thinks that.

Im tempted to categorise this behaviour under this particular policy entry:

Quote:

Troll: Trolls show no respect for other people's opinions and deliberately crafts messages to provoke others with the intention of wasting their time and energy or just to cause anger and confrontations. There is no point in arguing with them; their minds are made up. Ignore them, and report the posts immediately to an Amigaworld Team Member.

Still, hes got till the end of the weekend ( Sunday ) to comment, react, etc before I lock this and take this up with the moderation team.

Report this post  
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle