Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
18 crawler(s) on-line.
 105 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

bhabbott

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 bhabbott:  1 min ago
 amigakit:  29 mins ago
 ROMwack:  34 mins ago
 kolla:  45 mins ago
 kamelito:  52 mins ago
 matthey:  59 mins ago
 Kronos:  1 hr 36 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  1 hr 48 mins ago
 Mobileconnect:  1 hr 54 mins ago
 Hypex:  2 hrs 6 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /  PS3, 360, and Wii -- the ever long discussion (Part 3)
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 Next Page )
PosterThread
BrianK 
Re: PS3, 360, and Wii -- the ever long discussion (Part 3)
Posted on 16-Jul-2008 4:35:59
#441 ]
Elite Member

Sony E3.. (I'm gonna focus more on PS3. Someone else can do PSP and PS2's 130 new games.)

Opened w/ GT5, MGS4, SOCOM, The Force Unleased. More old stuff -pics of last year's games, Uncharted and Haze.

GAMES:
Resistance 2, Little Big Planet, Rachet and Clank: Quest for Booty (shorter and cheaper game which continues the RC Future -- not sure why it's not DLC) , crash commandoes, Fat Princess, Flower, Siren, RagDoll KungFu. DC universe online. Far Cry2, Fallout 3

MEDIA:
Movie/TV sync to PSP. 'Blu-Ray is way better then the competition' (who/what is the competition? DVDs?)

PSN:
Little Big Planet -- online, create, share even w/ your 6 year old daughter (We hope this stops the Wii's rule.) Single sign on. PSN download video service 'for all studioes' (yeah cuz Sony owns them all)

OVERALL:
Jack Tretton speaks. (2008 is great and only to get better) IBM is using the cell as a supercomputer (yeah great and it'll do squat for my PS3 games.) Goals 9M PS2, 10M PS3, and 15M PSP.

Biggie (Xbox was FFXIII) God of War 3 for this Christmas. (all trailer no gameplay shown)

Curiously missing -- Home? No beta shown? No words spoken? They showed last year's games but not this year's killer online experience? Is the Home Beta going as expected? Strange.

Profile     Report this post  
Lou 
Posted on 16-Jul-2008 12:29:15
#442 ]
Elite Member

Overall this was a pretty lame E3 across the board.

Nintendo announced WiiMotionPlus and WiiSpeak for hardware but still no storage solution...

With WiiMotionPlus, hopefully, future motion-base games will improve considerably.
I believe it's a gyrometer rather than an accelerometer... We shall see...

MS and Sony provide harddrive upgrades to their models... This new 80GB model from Sony is just the 40GB with a bigger HDD. It seems they have given up on backwards compatibility...then annouce 130 new PS2 games... It's like the tail doesn't know what the head is doing... Whatever that old saying is...

MS should lower the price of the Elite now that their Pro model is closer in specs to their Elite model. What are they thinking there?

On an up note, Capcom is releasing Dead Rising for the Wii
Finally, the 360 loses an exclusive. This version should feature improved controls over the 360 and HOPEFULLY a better save feature. The controls and save feature were the games biggest criticisms on the 360...
Hey, maybe Lost Planet will come next...and then RE5...?
I know Capcom knows how to get good graphics out of the Wii (see Resident Evil 4)...

Last edited by Lou on 16-Jul-2008 at 12:46 PM.
Last edited by Lou on 16-Jul-2008 at 12:37 PM.

Hammer 
Posted on 16-Jul-2008 13:24:13
#443 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB
Quote:

Transcript this:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/34201.html?type=wmv

It's not a true raytracer since you have deferred render (e.g. like UT3 engine). The two are mutually exclusive.

It could be doing volume light effect + deferred rendering.

@BrianK
Quote:

Looking at this game it's hard to tell what the ray tracing was there seemingly is very little ray tracing going on. Related to PS3 raytracing is this video Three PS3s raytracing very pretty! However, the Killzone2 game wasn't like this. Clearly they aren't using raytracing for the whole game. They've cut it way back. It'll be interesting to see how much turns out to be raytraced. On the video it seems very little and similar, perhaps even better, effect could be done through High Dynamic Range imaging.

IMO -- raytracing will be a big game for the PS4 and next Xbox. So learning how to do it now should give them a slight advantage next gen.

It's not a true raytracer since you have deferred render.

Last edited by Hammer on 16-Jul-2008 at 01:26 PM.

BigD 
Posted on 16-Jul-2008 18:17:56
#444 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
This new 80GB model from Sony is just the 40GB with a bigger HDD. It seems they have given up on backwards compatibility...then annouce 130 new PS2 games... It's like the tail doesn't know what the head is doing... Whatever that old saying is...

I'm losing faith in the Playstation 3 by the day! Backwards compatibility and dualshock 3 are important to European customers and as neither have a fixed date to be (re)released in this region I've lost interest!!!! All great next gen games can be played with a Xbox 360 and Wii, the PS3 is looking decidedly missable (P.S. I don't class MGS4 as a great next gen game just a cutscene with a game bolted on )

130 PS2 games aye? That should keep me going

Last edited by BigD on 16-Jul-2008 at 06:18 PM.

BrianK 
Posted on 16-Jul-2008 18:44:53
#445 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:
130 PS2 games aye? That should keep me going

But it's got 11!

Amiboy 
Posted on 16-Jul-2008 19:48:12
#446 ]

@BigD

Quote:

@Lou

I'm losing faith in the Playstation 3 by the day! Backwards compatibility and dualshock 3 are important to European customers and as neither have a fixed date to be (re)released in this region I've lost interest!!!!

Errrr you do know that the Dualshock 3 has been out in the UK (and Europe I believe) for nearly 2 weeks now! And I am ot aware that anyone has run out of stock to cause a re-release. I can still purchase them from Game, Gamestation and Amazon.

I do agree though that we in Europe got screwed when it came to modles with backwards compatibility. Although if the PS3 was cheaper many people may decide to keep the PS2 and have the PS3 so "problem solved", however that isnt a great "fix" to this issue of backwards compatibility

They should just realease full software emulation of PS2 games for those systems lacking the hardware.

A1200, Power Tower, TF1260 128MB RAM, 68060 Rev 6, OS3.9 BB2, HD-Floppy, Mediator TX+ PCI, Voodoo 3 3000, Soundblaster 4.1, TV Card, Spider USB, 100MBit Ethernet, 16GB CF HD, 52xCDRom.

BrianK 
Posted on 16-Jul-2008 20:05:48
#447 ]
Elite Member

@Amiboy

Quote:
I do agree though that we in Europe got screwed when it came to modles with backwards compatibility. Although if the PS3 was cheaper many people may decide to keep the PS2 and have the PS3 so "problem solved", however that isnt a great "fix" to this issue of backwards compatibility

They should just realease full software emulation of PS2 games for those systems lacking the hardware.

Last point first -- It appears PS2 games will come to the PSN. So if someone misses playing them they can purchase the game a 2nd time.

First point last -- Europe screwed? Downloadable movies appear to be USA only at this time.

Lou 
Posted on 17-Jul-2008 15:03:02
#448 ]
Elite Member

I heard a rumor that Sony was poised to show a motion controller more accurate than the Wii Remote but that got kicked in the balls when Nintendo showed the MotionPlus accessory.

Nintendo is contemplating incorporating it into future versions of the WiiMote...

I was amazed last night as I went looking for Mario Kart Wii again. The Gamestop employee told me there was only launch shipment and one at the end of this month due in. Unbelievable. But that's not what amazed me. What did was a PC-based kiosk demoing Games for Windows games. Finally MS is pushing the platform?
Age of Empires 3 looked pretty good.

BigD 
Posted on 17-Jul-2008 20:26:23
#449 ]
Elite Member

@Amiboy

Quote:
Errrr you do know that the Dualshock 3 has been out in the UK (and Europe I believe) for nearly 2 weeks now!

Thanks for telling me I didn't know

It's not as if it's been hyped or anything! Are all retailers including Dualshock 3 as standard in their bundles now? Only 'Game' points out their packs include the new gamepad, 'Gamestation' doesn't mention what pad is included!!!

Why did they only announce the launch of the DualShock 3 in a low key way on the internet, the week before!!! Scandalous!! Sony are losers!

Amiboy 
Posted on 17-Jul-2008 22:46:13
#450 ]

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@Amiboy

Quote:
Errrr you do know that the Dualshock 3 has been out in the UK (and Europe I believe) for nearly 2 weeks now!

Thanks for telling me I didn't know

Thats OK glad I could be of help! They are nice controllers though, feel sturdier than the sixaxis and the extra weight feels much better. Althought the vibration doesnt feel as powerfull as a DS2 it seems more refined.

Quote:
It's not as if it's been hyped or anything! Are all retailers including Dualshock 3 as standard in their bundles now? Only 'Game' points out their packs include the new gamepad, 'Gamestation' doesn't mention what pad is included!!!

Why did they only announce the launch of the DualShock 3 in a low key way on the internet, the week before!!! Scandalous!! Sony are losers!

Im not sure about bundle options from most places, havent really looked into it.

Sony are really lacking in the advertising depratment in the UK (not sure about rest of Europe/World), I mean whenever has anyone really seen an Ad on the TV (or heard of one on the radio) for A PS3 and/or a PS3 game?????

Its just madness........

I just hope they bother to do more advertising for the upcoming Resistance 2 and Killzone 2 (especially KZ2 as the recent info on the multiplayer and new vids are making me drool!) - and any other big game (LBP etc)

Multiplayer info:

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/891/891245p1.html

Multiplayer Vid & GG Interview:

http://uk.gamespot.com/video/928377/6194262/killzone-2-e3-2008-stage-show-demo

I did have a much better link for info & vids but I lost it

Last edited by Amiboy on 17-Jul-2008 at 10:47 PM.

A1200, Power Tower, TF1260 128MB RAM, 68060 Rev 6, OS3.9 BB2, HD-Floppy, Mediator TX+ PCI, Voodoo 3 3000, Soundblaster 4.1, TV Card, Spider USB, 100MBit Ethernet, 16GB CF HD, 52xCDRom.

Lou 
Posted on 17-Jul-2008 22:47:10
#451 ]
Elite Member

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:

Perhaps they were too busy advertising it as the world's cheapest BluRay player...

Lou 
Posted on 18-Jul-2008 12:29:53
#452 ]
Elite Member

During the "Developer's Roundtable" at E3, Shiggy confirmed a Pikmin game for the Wii in development. That's great. The Pikmin series on the Gamecube was an awesome RTS franchise. A natural fit for the Wii given the point-n-click functionality of the WiiMote.

Pikmin was based of the Mario128 demo where 128 different Mario(s) were doing different things on Gamecube hardware. So much for the belief that the Wii can't handle many objects at once, I mean, it is 2 Gamecube duct-taped together so it should be able to handle atleast 256, right...?

I've gotten pretty far into both Pikmin 1 & 2 and had well over 120 Pikmin + enemies onscreen at once... [dons flamesuit] Oh wait, I forgot, that the game came bundled with a proto-type CELL processor on the 1.4GB disc to make this possible... [/dons flamesuit]

BrianK 
Posted on 18-Jul-2008 13:20:15
#453 ]
Elite Member

@Lou

Quote:
I've gotten pretty far into both Pikmin 1 & 2 and had well over 120 Pikmin + enemies onscreen at once... [dons flamesuit] Oh wait, I forgot, that the game came bundled with a proto-type CELL processor on the 1.4GB disc to make this possible... [/dons flamesuit]

PS3 ad coming this Christmas -- 'Never underestimate the power of the darkside.'

Lou 
Posted on 18-Jul-2008 17:14:54
#454 ]
Elite Member

Developer's showing of The Conduit:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36424.html

_Steve_ 
Posted on 19-Jul-2008 14:32:11
#455 ]
Team Member

@Lou

Quote:

Finally, the 360 loses an exclusive. This version should feature improved controls over the 360 and HOPEFULLY a better save feature. The controls and save feature were the games biggest criticisms on the 360...
I know Capcom knows how to get good graphics out of the Wii (see Resident Evil 4)...

Well I wouldn't really call it losing an exclusive, as the game has been out for over a year anyway (plus it is madness these days to release console exclusive titles given the development costs on some of them).

Aside from that, the save game issue is one that is frustrating (I haven't progressed much past a certain point simply because I keep dying at around the same bit, and having to replay it over and over and over has worn a bit thin as I couldn't quite make the next save point before dying owing to having taken a wrong turn ), but the biggest gripe with this game was that it's in game text was unreadable on a standard definition TV. You physically have to play it on an HDTV in order to read it - which leads to a small problem in that you cannot read the date on your watch to know how long you actually have left to get to the roof, neither can you read the mission objectives given to you over the radio (as the decided to not include those as speech as well).

When asked about fixing this, Capcom always said it would require too much work to fix and release as a patch over Xbox Live.

Interesting 
Posted on 19-Jul-2008 15:33:04
#456 ]
From: a place & time long long ago, when things mattered.

@BrianK

Quote:
Xbox 360 Pro w/ 20GB drive goes to $299, while supplies last. It's confirmed the 60GB drive model will be replacing it at $349

Sony Tries To Move Beyond PlayStation Price Cut

Quote:
Sony cut the price of its 60GB PS3 console in advance of this week's E3 Business and Media Summit, which finished Thursday in Los Angeles. The company also announced a new 80GB system for $499, then announced that the price would be cut $100 by fall. While news reports have emphasized the price drop, Sony tried to highlight other aspects of the PS3 experience, including the ability of PlayStation Home subscribers to download movies and inhabit virtual online communities.

as I have said for some time Sony is moving the PS3 away from a "game machine", the winner for that is the Wii, read me.

Lou 
Posted on 20-Jul-2008 1:40:05
#457 ]
Elite Member

@_Steve_

Quote:

_Steve_ wrote:
@Lou

Quote:

Well I wouldn't really call it losing an exclusive, as the game has been out for over a year anyway (plus it is madness these days to release console exclusive titles given the development costs on some of them).

Aside from that, the save game issue is one that is frustrating (I haven't progressed much past a certain point simply because I keep dying at around the same bit, and having to replay it over and over and over has worn a bit thin as I couldn't quite make the next save point before dying owing to having taken a wrong turn ), but the biggest gripe with this game was that it's in game text was unreadable on a standard definition TV. You physically have to play it on an HDTV in order to read it - which leads to a small problem in that you cannot read the date on your watch to know how long you actually have left to get to the roof, neither can you read the mission objectives given to you over the radio (as the decided to not include those as speech as well).

When asked about fixing this, Capcom always said it would require too much work to fix and release as a patch over Xbox Live.

Clearly the text issue needs to be solved for releasing on the Wii, that will not get past Nintendo's QA department..., perhaps they will issue a patch at that time for the 360...
As for the save, issue... Perhaps the extra precise Wii controls will make the whole game easier, like it did for RE4:WE and negate that problem...

Lou 
Posted on 21-Jul-2008 12:26:12
#458 ]
Elite Member

Why Nintendo is killing the competition:
http://malstrom.50webs.com/birdman.html

Quote:
They make games for retards.

BrianK 
Posted on 21-Jul-2008 20:36:38
#459 ]
Elite Member

Update on 360 items.

Saving games to HDD -- some blogs reported it would be mandatory. It's not, it's optional if you want to load the game to your harddrive.

Playing game -- one must have the DVD in the drive to play the game. No more DVD drive noises as the game is played from harddrive. Owners of the 360 know that downloaded Live games are quieter. One could expect about the same noise level if one copies the whole DVD to the harddrive.

Did Microsoft pay Square to port FFXIII to the 360 --- Supposedly Squaresoft decided it must go multiplatform for best profitability this generation and no money changed hands.

LIPS -- karoke on the 360...
A second player can shake the microphone to instantly "jump in" to the song, no menus needed... Streaming from Zune and iPods..DRM'd songs cannot be used...

Amiboy 
Posted on 21-Jul-2008 21:50:38
#460 ]

@Thread,

It appears that MAG (PS3 256 people online 3rd person shooter anounced at E3) is not the 'secret game' that the computing/gaming press (those that have been lucky enough to see it) have not been able to report about acording to this BBC reporter:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/technology/2008/07/is_the_mystery_game_revealed.html

Also some 'insider information' on MAG has suposedly been released:

http://kotaku.com/5027094/insider-describes-the-world-of-sonys-mag

Dont know what to make of the info (real/fake).

It does sound like a great game but LAG will become an issue.

Some links to the PS forums regarding Platinum Games, PSN games and the new 80Gig model infor realeased at E3 appologies to anyone who's already read this:

Platinum:
http://community.eu.playstation.com/playstationeu/board/message?board.id=62&thread.id=847973

PSN:
http://community.eu.playstation.com/playstationeu/board/message?board.id=62&thread.id=847991

80Gig:
http://community.eu.playstation.com/playstationeu/board/message?board.id=62&thread.id=847897

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle