Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
20 crawler(s) on-line.
 119 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  16 mins ago
 MarcioD:  39 mins ago
 Hammer:  47 mins ago
 kolla:  47 mins ago
 matthey:  54 mins ago
 NancyNash:  1 hr 9 mins ago
 agami:  1 hr 38 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 55 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 57 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  2 hrs 3 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Could Eyetech provide CPU-modules for A1XE?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
PosterThread
jahc 
Re: Could Eyetech provide CPU-modules for A1XE?
Posted on 28-Feb-2005 10:35:49
#141 ]
Elite Member

@thread

Eyetech often go silent for months and months.. BUT.. when they do finally speak, they always reveal that they've been working VERY hard all along. Every time. I doubt thats changed. I bet you they're working at 110% capacity right this instant.

But it is tough waiting for information for long periods of time.. not knowing how much longer we have to wait, or not knowing what sort of progress is being made.. I feel really in the dark. So it would be nice if we hear from them soon.

Btw, I would like a CPU upgrade module too. I've got the money sitting here for it. So, two modules in the works eh? Thanks for the info Rose. :)

Profile     Report this post  
Anonymous 
Re: Eyetech must provide CPU-modules for A1XE!
Posted on 28-Feb-2005 11:16:24
# ]

@takemehomegrandma

I tend to agree with you. Mellow out everyone. One thing I do not think has been allowed for in this whole thread (and I skipped a few pages) is the interpretaion of some peoples natural language into English. You've got to allow for that. I think Helgis has a good point in so far that at least some spare parts should be available, in fact in some countries that is covered by law.

However, asking for other than spare parts (ie upgrade cards) is a different matter.

Helgis, I guess the way you speak English comes across as a bit harsh in the written form, try to remember that and adjust where you can, the word please would not go amiss here or there. Also please give Eyetech the opportunity to address your problem, first by contacting them directly and privately. Should this fail then look at other options.

As for upgrading a 933 XE I pose this question, why? What the frick would run any faster or better at this stage, personally I find my XE already out performs my PCs but that will open another wholly unproductive debate.

Why can't we all be satisfied that at this stage we have pretty decent hardware, the OS is moving at quite a pace (my OS4 is more stable than my XP, sure with limitations but it isn't even a full release as yet), more and more software announcements are being made each week/month. Let's also remeber that neither Eyetech nor Hyperion are made of money, in fact if they have beenserving us for years there is a good chance they are starving for money. Let's not bite the hands that feed us.

The issue of spare parts is legitimate, the issue of upgrades at this stage is sheer folly and a waste of debating energy.

ace

Report this post  
jahc 
Posted on 28-Feb-2005 11:37:00
#143 ]
Elite Member

@acefnq

Quote:
As for upgrading a 933 XE I pose this question, why? What the frick would run any faster or better at this stage, personally I find my XE already out performs my PCs but that will open another wholly unproductive debate.

It's not really needed, but a few things could be slightly better.. unarchiving large files, and emulation (MAME, UAE).. but it would also be a better system to brag to friends about. I know that doesnt sound like a good reason but "my 1.4Ghz Amiga" sounds more impressive than "my 800Mhz Amiga". It's like saying you have a Pentium4 rather than a Pentium3.

Anonymous 
Re: Could Eyetech provide CPU-modules for A1XE?
Posted on 28-Feb-2005 12:06:03
# ]

@anarchic_teapot

Quote:

anarchic_teapot wrote:

Quote:

Sorry, but Alan is a big boy, I'm sure a round of ANN flaming is not going to kill him. Everyone else has to put up with it.

I don't think he even reads ANN. There are far more urgent things to do, after all, as nobody here will deny. He does read AW much either, AFAIK, for the same reason: only so much one man can do in a day.

Then that kind of negates everything Codesmith was going on about, and the main excuses for non-communication.

Quote:

Quote:

There is no excuse for the sorry state of the Eyetech website.

There probably is, actually, but we don't know it.

Sorry Rose, but that sentence is laughable. If you want to engage me on this at least do better than playground level reasoning.

Quote:

Quote:

There is no excuse for failing to correspond with customers on legitimate issues.

Eyetech's customers, no problem, although there's so much correspondance he tends to take a while. Other people's customers, however...

HE? Are you saying Eyetech is a one-man band? That's even more of a worry.

There are tales of Eyetech suddenly ceasing to communicate with a customer after so many replies (usually when the customer is waiting for the final reply). Again that is not acceptable.

Quote:

Quote:

There is no excuse for not responding to serious issues (USB) and leaving the dealers to take care of it.

That's a bit unfair, and I speak as a dealer. It's our responsability to ensure full SAV of the products we sell, so we should have already had "authorised repair centres" or whatever in place. I rather suspect that those of us who reacted the quickest to the announcement of a patch for the DMA/USB issues were simply those already working on the problem before the announcement . Give us a break, most of us are one-person companies.

I wasn't taking a dig at the dealers (quite obviously). There still is no offical word on this, that is not acceptable. There still isn't provision for UK users, despite the fact that the UK is Eyetech's base. Again this is not acceptable. The heart of the problem is clearly Eyetech/MAI.

Quote:

Now, if you want a rant about USB issues, let's talk about Apple.

No I don't want to talk about USB, nor do I want to talk about Apple, it's clearly OT from what I'm saying. It's clear you do though, if only to try to deflect critisism elsewhere. It's quite sad really, the fotum of "What's that behind you?" then running off.

Quote:

I recently discovered that Apple's implementation of USB in its machines (OS?) is incomplete. In practical terms, this means certain peripherals - such as an USB WiFi stick - won't be systematically recognised on startup. And I had to buy two of the damn' things since Apple no longer produce Airport cards for the ibooks in question, a model less than two years old. Not happy at all...

Did you not think to check them for compatibilty first? I have a strong hunch that you'd have similar problems using those with AmigaOS 4 on an A1. So what is your point?

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 28-Feb-2005 12:11:07
# ]

@jahc
Yeh you got me there a bit.

Just show your mates what you miggy can do. I did to a good friend of mine
recently, he heads up our Business Solutions section in a large R&D organisation.
Now he has put up with my Amiga stuff for years but you should have seen his
face when some of the apps opened so quickly, I then ran Linux (Firefox and OpenOffice)
and then MOL. I didn't have the heart (we had had a few beers) to tell him they
(AOS prgrams) were being emulated, even without JIT.

Yes we have a few issues as yet and yes it would be nice to say I have an A1
3GHZ but what would be really cool is asking the 3.5G PC owner, why and how
much do you pay in electricity and why does everything still take as long?

Remember, some proggies aren't OS4 specific yet, I'd like to see UAE with some
kind of JIT on the A1 (SOOOON please Evilrich).

Remember the fun you had with C64, A500 and A1200? This current system has the potential
to make others look fooloish but we will ahe teething problems.

ace

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 28-Feb-2005 12:38:28
# ]

God day everybody! I just happened to get a mail from Datakompaniet in Trondheim (Norway) that they just got a message from one of their dealers they seem to have a contract with, and they were told that in a short time, they will have a CPU-module for the A1XE!!! This one is:

1.3Ghz Motorola 7447A G4 CPU-module. Price will be around 4995 NOK with MVA included! Yes, a bit expensive but definitely worth it! I also asked them to get the Sillicon Image 3114 S-ATA RAID PCI-controller, too! It's all good news at last! I was very surprised but very happy about the news! I will try to get this new CPU-module and see if that makes any change in my motherboard. If not, i could just
hide this CPU-module, order an A1G4XE@933Mhz-version when possible, and just replace the CPU with the 1.3Ghz G4 CPU-module, then with a Zalman VGA-cooler, the one so many of you mentioned! Even more important, NO OVERCLOCKING at all!!!

Case closed!

Report this post  
samo79 
Posted on 28-Feb-2005 12:43:32
#147 ]
Elite Member

@Helgis

Quote:
Price will be around 4995 NOK with MVA included!

Ehm in Euro ?

http://www.betatesting.it/backforthefuture

Sam440ep Flex 800 Mhz 1 GB Ram + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6
AmigaOne XE G3 800 Mhz - 640 MB Ram - Radeon 9200 SE + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6

Anonymous 
Posted on 28-Feb-2005 12:47:45
# ]

@samo79

500EUR give or take

(Ie, totally not worth it)

/Björn

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 28-Feb-2005 12:50:53
# ]

Yes, it might be around 500 EURO, that's right. But the point is that as i live in Norway, i am VERY happy about this news! And even if my motherboard should not work, there is a possibility to order Datakompaniets' new A1G4XE when neccessary, so i won't loose any opportunities!

Good, i am a very happy man now! Instead of saying "Thank you, Thorn!", i will say "Thank you, Datakompaniet!"

Report this post  
samo79 
Posted on 28-Feb-2005 12:52:16
#150 ]
Elite Member

@Orgin

Argg it's very expensive, but better than nothing

Last edited by samo79 on 28-Feb-2005 at 12:52 PM.

http://www.betatesting.it/backforthefuture

Sam440ep Flex 800 Mhz 1 GB Ram + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6
AmigaOne XE G3 800 Mhz - 640 MB Ram - Radeon 9200 SE + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6

Anonymous 
Posted on 28-Feb-2005 13:01:37
# ]

@samo79

or is it?

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 28-Feb-2005 13:01:39
# ]

@samo79

Yes, it's better than nothing! I have a perfect advice for any of you! Say, when available (anytime now), get this 1.3Ghz G4 CPU-module for either your A1XE or the MicroA1, use a Zalman VGA-cooler (you know what type. Get any help to slot it on the CPU-module carefully), get yourself the Sillicon Image 3114 S-ATA RAID PCI-controller and supported harddrives (S-ATA-types. Two should do, or if possible, more), install latest LinuxPPC with latest kernel, applications, files. Anything, and then AmigaOS 4 on another drive, then i promise you a lot of power and speed!

That is exactly what i have in mind! Expensive yes, but truly worth it!

Just got another mail saying that Datakompaniet also have the Sillicon Image 3114 S-ATA RAID PCI-controller for 495NOK incl. MVA (around 50 Euro)! This is just getting better and better! God, what a surprise!

Last edited by Helgis on 28-Feb-2005 at 01:05 PM.

Report this post  
Anonymous 
Posted on 28-Feb-2005 13:36:30
# ]

@Helgis

That is good news for you!

I almost regret selling my A1, it would be fun to see with my own eyes how this would perform with the Articia.

BTW, how short time is "short time"?

Report this post  
Restore2003 
Posted on 28-Feb-2005 13:53:12
#154 ]

@Helgis

Datakompaniet always tends to be more expensive than the other dealers, so i would guess that the module will cost around 430¤ outside norway.

Steff 
Posted on 28-Feb-2005 13:58:41
#155 ]

@Uncharted

Quote:
My main point is that after 4 or so years, Eyetech are still messing-up, and people are still pussy-footing around them, and making excuses for them. I want to know at which point "trying" isn't good enough anymore, and achieving is the bare minimum. Personally that point has passed long ago.

1: still messing-up

A very broad general term. What specifically do you mean? Was it these three?

Not satisfied with their website? Cmon now!

Failing to correspond with customers? Do you mean on open forums?

no excuse for not responding to serious issues (USB) and leaving the dealers to take care of it. How much do you know about this? Who found the cause of the problems and described the solutions? Is this even resolved fully yet. Fixes are just now being set up in different places around the world!

2: still pussy-footing around them, and making excuses for them

You have surely got his turned around the wrong way. Most of us are very pleased with the hardware we have and the OS4/AOne solution it provides. We are defending the products we have spent so much money to own and in it's extension Eyetech who helped make it happen. This goes as well for Hyperion and to a certain extent Amiga Inc./KMOS.

2: achieving is the bare minimum

As said above "the bare minimum" was acheived a long time ago. Even before the OS was available. Issues have turned up since then and one by one they have been dealt with in a number of different ways.

I guess if I said that these are not systems for complete amateurs, you would say that you have never heard about this. That the "official" launch will be when OS4 final is ready.

People on these forums are clamoring for new hardware and upgrades, better faster more modern architecture. Some people claim (this thread is an example) that right now is even too late if the Amiga market is going to survive and yet others would complain that the hardware we have should never have been released until it was thoroughly tested and bug free?

Funny thing, but I do believe that ALL parties are doing what they think is best and that the above criteria is impossible to imagine all at the same time. The first hardware was delivered when times were the darkest for the amiga scene. Had the OS4 prerelease waited another couple of months many more users would have been lost. New motherboards were already finished when bugs on the first mb's were being discovered. With the next mb's in the works people are still complaining that they are not here yet, still not advanced enough and still complain about bugs on the older hardware.

The amiga market has to either tone down their expectations some or practice a little patience.

Getting back on topic.

@Helgis

I realize you don't have your warranty left after what you've done but that doesn't mean someone else won't accept your board. So why on earth don't you just give your board to a/your dealer and ask if there is anything he can do to fix it instead of you fuddling around with what you obviously don't know anything about. It should cost you less than guessing that this or that might be wrong and buying cpu cards if thats not the problem.

Sil 680 Ultra Ata 133 E-ide
SeaGate Barracuda 120gb 8mb cache

Anonymous 
Posted on 28-Feb-2005 14:20:45
# ]

@takemehomegrandma

Yes, indeed! I am very happy! I know Datakompaniet is a bit expensive, but then they're able to provide all these, too!

Report this post  
nicomen 
Posted on 28-Feb-2005 14:29:50
#157 ]
Cult Member

@Helgis

And where does Datakompaniet reside? Yes, you were right exactly same town as AmiTron 2005 will be held in a month's time;)

Anonymous 
Posted on 28-Feb-2005 14:35:24
# ]

@nicomen

So this is when and where the card will be released?

Report this post  
olegil 
Posted on 28-Feb-2005 14:42:56
#159 ]
Elite Member

@nicomen

ARGH!!!

Curse you guys for choosing the ONE weekend between now and mid-May I am busy. DANG!

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

Coder 
Posted on 28-Feb-2005 14:57:47
#160 ]
Team Member

@Steff

Quote:
With the next mb's in the works people are still complaining that they are not here yet, still not advanced enough and still complain about bugs on the older hardware.

So with the miniA1 being out and not having probs and new hardware in the planning I should not complain about bugs in my older hardware? Yeah right.

Quote:
The amiga market has to either tone down their expectations some or practice a little patience.

It is like any other market, you don't deliver or act the way you should there is a right to complain. Just because it is the Amiga market it is a different world? I see people screwing up and I complain about that. I won't stop. I point out the bad ways of doing things just because I can and I have right to do so. Of course all in normal language.

I will repeat myself again, just because it is a small market and there are not enough funds we should not express our feelings about the whole bad situation? There is no excuse, simple. Don't go hiding behind excuses.

Coder

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle