Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 125 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 A1200:  31 mins ago
 michalsc:  35 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 34 mins ago
 clint:  1 hr 39 mins ago
 amigang:  2 hrs 49 mins ago
 Tpod:  3 hrs 29 mins ago
 pixie:  3 hrs 34 mins ago
 Birbo:  3 hrs 49 mins ago
 Hammer:  3 hrs 56 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Emulation
      /  Experienced AMITHLON users wanted!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
daydreamer 
Re: Experienced AMITHLON users wanted!
Posted on 13-Apr-2006 16:01:13
#21 ]

Can you still get Amithlon?

Randal Graves - "Clerks"

Profile     Report this post  
AmiKit 
Posted on 13-Apr-2006 16:08:31
#22 ]

@daydreamer
Quote:

no, unfortunatelly

DrBombcrater 
Posted on 13-Apr-2006 16:21:26
#23 ]

@daydreamer

Quote:

Kind of. Second hand copies pop up on Ebay now and again, and I've seen several BitTorrent sites carrying links to it - highly illegal, of course, but the developer has said he'd have GPL'd Amithlon by now if it wasn't for IP issues, so the moral aspect of downloading it isn't so clear cut.

Getting hold of Amithlon is easier than getting hardware to run OS4, that's for sure

BrianK 
Posted on 13-Apr-2006 16:33:02
#24 ]
Elite Member

@daydreamer
Quote:

Check Ebay and various othersites.

But, as people said here they want to see more people supporting the Amiga one of the ways to do this is buying software. AmigaForever is for sale and works great.

Running both the issue I had was Amithlon always seems to be a bit behind when it comes to divers for newer hardware. AmigaForever always seemed to work fine. Yes it's a bit slower but when you're running an Amiga Emulation on a 2-3Ghz processor either package is going to be about 20x faster then the Amiga 4000. You really don't notice much difference in that area. You might if you ran it on an older 1Ghz system. But again still tons faster then the Amiga.

ChrisH 
Posted on 14-Apr-2006 9:03:09
#25 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK
From personal experience, Amithlon is twice the speed of WinUAE. But does that really matter these days, given how fast x86 processors are?

@Fransexy
Of course OS4 don't run on Amithlon, but then neither does it run on anything else you can buy! Amiga OS3.9.2 is the closest you can get to OS4 at the moment. Of course, if you don't like OS3.9 (errr), or prefer to run OS3.9 on veeeery slooooow & unreliable real Amiga hardware...

umisef 
Posted on 14-Apr-2006 12:16:44
#26 ]

@DrBombcrater

Quote:
but the developer has said he'd have GPL'd Amithlon by now if it wasn't for IP issues,

Just to clarify --- ONE of the developers has said he would agree to a GPL-ing of the Amithlon codebase as long as the other "developer" also did. Harald always gets rude(r) when I suggest that, so the odds of it happening seem low :)

However, think of Harald what you want, pirating Amithlon also means pirating Amiga Inc IP, Picasso 96 IP, and some more third party IP contained in drivers. Which is a bad thing to do, and should not be done by anyone who respects intellectual property rights.

T_Bone 
Posted on 14-Apr-2006 13:09:50
#27 ]
Elite Member

@umisef

Quote:

umisef wrote:
@DrBombcrater

Quote:
but the developer has said he'd have GPL'd Amithlon by now if it wasn't for IP issues,

Just to clarify --- ONE of the developers has said he would agree to a GPL-ing of the Amithlon codebase as long as the other "developer" also did. Harald always gets rude(r) when I suggest that, so the odds of it happening seem low :)

However, think of Harald what you want, pirating Amithlon also means pirating Amiga Inc IP, Picasso 96 IP, and some more third party IP contained in drivers. Which is a bad thing to do, and should not be done by anyone who respects intellectual property rights.

Can't we just replace him with a shell script or something?

BrianK 
Posted on 14-Apr-2006 14:39:28
#28 ]
Elite Member

@ChrisH

Quote:
From personal experience, Amithlon is twice the speed of WinUAE. But does that really matter these days, given how fast x86 processors are?
When I've run it's not quite twice and it depends each seems to have areas that are different in speed.

Also there's some site out there that tracks these sorts of things. I forget what it is now but I've submitted various times to them and I know are on the list. For a while my system was the fastest in a couple of measures..

EDIT: I found what I forgot. There's an AmiGod page to look at. http://www.volny.cz/luky-amiga/benchmarks.html Yes benchmarking isn't exact we all know that. It'd be nice to see some AmigaOne machines benchmarked especially if they knock the Pegasus II out of the top spot for video! Looks like according to AmiGod I still have the faster processor and fastest harddrive and one of the fastest memory writes. However, this is a machine I don't use any more. I wonder what my newer Nforce 4 w/ PCI Express does....

Last edited by BrianK on 14-Apr-2006 at 03:26 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle