Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
6 crawler(s) on-line.
 100 guest(s) on-line.
 4 member(s) on-line.

amigakit, Hypex, pixie, more...

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 fingus:  10 secs ago
 amigakit:  15 secs ago
 pixie:  56 secs ago
 Hypex:  1 min ago
 wakido:  10 mins ago
 amigang:  32 mins ago
 Swisso:  34 mins ago
 zErec:  49 mins ago
 zipper:  58 mins ago
 Karlos:  1 hr 4 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Is Genesi still intrested in Amiga market?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
PosterThread
opi 
Re: Is Genesi still intrested in Amiga market?
Posted on 10-May-2006 13:32:42
#281 ]
Team Member

@Rogue

That's why I've added that. I can just confirm said e-mail. Also, this methinks this shouldn't be dragged here. Only you (Hyperion) and core Genesi employees (not me ) know the whole story.

Last edited by opi on 10-May-2006 at 01:33 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
acefnq 
Posted on 10-May-2006 13:56:59
#282 ]
Cult Member

@opi

Please take this question as it is intended with no condensation. As a long long time AOS user I know the history of MOS and it's abslute right to be seriously considered in the platforms development;

If (or is) MOS is an open source OS why can't it be releaeed for the current generations of Amigas (ie A1 Ua1)?

2 flavours of Linux have been so why not MOS or is MOS not "really" open sourced. Your answers may help cool the heat in this thread.

cheers
ace

Anonymous 
Posted on 10-May-2006 14:16:02
# ]

BBRV has 2 choices; buy a license, or buy Amiga Inc.

He doesn't have enough cash for either, so he keeps stirring the bean soup over here to get a movement going.

No wonder he keeps coming back... Well hey, Amigas' the best looking chick on the block!!!!!!! (I'd keep coming back too! )

But, how many "by request" copies of AOS4.x is he going to sell for Hyperion? A record breaking 10 copies a year (2 more than mos)?

Nope, a one-to-one ratio of HW to SW is what's needed for survival.

So, am I still strange?

Report this post  
samface 
Re: Is Genesi still intersted in Amiga market?
Posted on 10-May-2006 14:33:21
#284 ]

@gary_c

Quote:
If I wanted to spend the time, I could give you some examples, but it ain't worth it.

If it wasn't worth your time to stand up for your personal attacks, how about not making such personal attacks to begin with? What does it say about you when you accuse me of causing threads to be about me instead of it's original topic while at the same time throwing such personal attacks on me? Could it not be that threads end up to be about me because people like you run out of real arguments and start throwing these kind of personal attacks at me?

Quote:
Frequently (I know you know this already because of your keen awareness of his posts at ANN.lu ) the issue shifts from the original topic to Samface himself because of the way he steadily slides around in a discussion even to contradictory positions in order to avoid admitting error.

What you would read as "contradictory positions" would probably be when I try to demonstrate my objectivity in a certain matter. Objectivity cannot be stablished without looking at something from more than one perspective. But then, it requires certain degree of intelligence to grasp such a concept, doesn't it?

In any case, if you don't want a thread to be about me, don't drag your views of me as a person into the thread to begin with. Keep it to yourself and stay on topic.

MINDRELEASE.net - The Non-Commercial Network of Digital Arts.

Samworks D & C - Professional Web Development (in Swedish)

Bodie_CI5 
Posted on 10-May-2006 14:42:35
#285 ]
Elite Member

@samface

I'm afraid you're walking on thin ice, there. Stay on topic? Truth must be told: you have been one of the main protagonists in this thread.

As regards to this:

Quote:

samface wrote:
If it wasn't worth your time to stand up for your personal attacks, how about not making such personal attacks to begin with?

try to remember this post from page 9 (ie. 6 pages ago):

Quote:

samface wrote:

(Responses to gary_c should be considered a) thinking out loud, b) talking to yourself, or c) discussion for the possible benefit of other readers or just for the record. gary_c does not yield to others' arguments no matter what the content or validity.)

From this post, here.

Everyone, cool it.

-edit-

Totally mispelt samface's name. Apologies.

Last edited by Bodie_CI5 on 10-May-2006 at 03:04 PM.

samface 
Posted on 10-May-2006 14:50:22
#286 ]

@Bodie_CI5

Read the post I replied to in the post you are refering to. It was basicly an exact quote of gary_c's post with just "samface" replaced with "gary_c". In other words, I wasn't saying any more than a simple "hey, I can play that game too". Remember, gary_c was the one accusing me of making threads to be about me.

Last edited by samface on 10-May-2006 at 02:55 PM.

MINDRELEASE.net - The Non-Commercial Network of Digital Arts.

Samworks D & C - Professional Web Development (in Swedish)

Bodie_CI5 
Posted on 10-May-2006 14:56:36
#287 ]
Elite Member

@samface

I have. As well as the rest of the thread and your participation in it. You have said what you needed to say, as has Gary for that matter. NO MORE PERSONAL INSULTS. Suspensions will follow.

Quote:

Gary was the one accusing me of making threads to be about me, not the other way around.

Can we not act a little like adults please?

SlayeR__ 
Posted on 10-May-2006 15:18:16
#288 ]
Cult Member

@samface

Quote:
Remember, gary_c was the one accusing me of making threads to be about me.

Dont respond to silliness makes life easier.

brotheris 
Posted on 10-May-2006 16:08:07
#289 ]

@Samwel

Quote:

Why so hostile?

It just sounds that way. English is not my native language and I'm not PR person

Quote:
About "the bitching about releases" I think MorphOS users are more frustrated
about the actual OS because OS4 has had a steady string of updates released
since the first prerelease.

Nah, you just see it from your perspective.
A bit info about "MOS bitching":

In early days developers wrote lots of info about progress, what was new, why some things didn't work yet, but worked on internal betas. Later (some) people started to get angry about teasing. Info stopped and communication was internal. Then there was bitching about "lack of info". Proper releases take time to package everything right, so "sheduled" and quiet releases were made. MOS 1.4 was released and then were was trouble with financing from Genesi. Internal friction grew, communication from developers were mostly NIL (after a while you start to ignore "bitching"), then famous 2004 11 website was opened, team split finaly went public, MOSTeam reorganized itself and started to release inceremental releases again, few PowerUP releases were made, 3D libraries were released, serious apps were released (Blender for example), Ambient updates, new MUI alpha with many new features, Poseidon3 (but it's a bit 1.5+ dependant), etc.

Quote:
We are more frustrated about hardware really.

Yeah, pre-prerealese-4 times were more about software than hardware, but I won't go further into this.

Quote:
MorphOS had steady updates upto 2002-2003, then nothing for almost two years,
then 4 smaller updates, then nothing again for some time.

Is my marked timeline provided that much bitching ? Everyone is tired of bitching ;) It's about apps now.

Quote:
I guess they are finalizing 1.5?! Could be good competition to OS4 final when
released

Haha, just don't want to get banned 8-D

@acefnq

Quote:
As a long long time AOS user I know the history of MOS

and

Quote:
If (or is) MOS is an open source OS

Doesn't match :)

Quote:
why can't it be releaeed for the current generations of Amigas (ie A1 Ua1)?

Maybe because MOS developers don't have those boards, don't want to have anything to do with ArticiaS and see no benefit in doing so ?

Acill 
Posted on 10-May-2006 16:28:18
#290 ]

@Rogue

Quote:

Rogue wrote:
@WOSPUPOS4

Quote:
How can that be propaganda
Is it realy that wrong of Acill to say so ?

Propaganda: The systematic propagation of a doctrine or cause or of information reflecting the views and interests of those advocating such a doctrine or cause.

Doesn't even matter if it's right or wrong, it's just the typical "MOS has much more" and "MOS is better" over and over yadda yadda thing.

Whether it's right or wrong.. *shrugs* Prove one way or the other.

Things sure havent changed on here. I was simply stating if MOS and OS4 were available on the same platform and OS4 didnt come with the Pegasos as MOS did why would a user go buy OS4 if a lot of the same software can be had for both systems. That is something you need to ask if your a new consumer and something a supplier should be prepaired to answer should the question come up. And its not propaganda stating you can get things for MOS that are not on OS4, its true. The same can be said for things on OS4 that can not be found for MOS as well.

gary_c 
Posted on 10-May-2006 16:45:30
#291 ]
Cult Member

@Rogue

Quote:
May I ask you, if it is so marginal and inconsequential, why are you even bothering to post here?

I meant it was marginal and inconsequential in terms of its current market presence and so on, and in terms of its potential as an income earner for Genesi. Genesi pretty much parted ways with MorphOS because MorphOS does not drive sales for the company and, beyond satisfying a rather small number of remaining enthusiasts, I wouldn't expect AmigaOS to be a profit center for Genesi either. And I don't think BBRV do. It's in that sense that I made my comments.

I'm bothering to post here because, even as small as it is, I like the idea of the Amiga community getting in step with the remaining PowerPC players, as I said earlier. I thought I made that clear. My comments about the current market significance of AmigaOS shouldn't be taken as an insult to those involved with it. I respect your efforts and the results. I was only talking about potential sales volume and so on, as I see it from my outsider's armchair. No offense meant.

-- gary_c

wegster 
Posted on 10-May-2006 16:56:45
#292 ]
Elite Member

@acefnq

Quote:
If (or is) MOS is an open source OS why can't it be releaeed for the current generations of Amigas (ie A1 Ua1)?

You'd have to ask a MOS developer. I'd guess that they don't see much worth there, in porting to a very limited/finite number of A1s out there, which do still have some issues as well. 1000-1500 boards, out of production, really isn't a compelling platform.

Would I buy MOS if it was available on the A1? Probably, if nothing else, to give it a try. Are perhaps 100 possibly interested users enough to make a difference in porting to a no longer available platform? Very unlikely, IMO.

And no, MOS is not open source. Ambient is, when David Gerber put up the mos.net site, and possibly(dunno) a few other bits, but MOS itself, is not.

ronaldst 
Posted on 10-May-2006 17:03:22
#293 ]

@Atheist

Quote:
Atheist wrote:

Or he can get the judge to reconsider. If BBRV overlooked something that can change the current situation then good for him and Amigans. That way I can pick up some hardware with AmigaOS4 one day.

Quote:
So, am I still strange?

Yes. Ima tell you why: you're not really for the Amigans. Why? Because you'd deny Amigans an escape route just because you're so hung up against Genesi. The deal here is to get new hardware on the market ASAP. While you're here with your little beliefs about how Genesi is a bogeyman or whatever else you can think up. Amigans have a golden opportunity here with the Pegasos and the EFIKA. If BillyBuck can do it then I wish him the best. Amigans come first. Our needs. The ones where we boot up an Amiga PC. Not some VCs slagging off the brand to promising to sell cheesy scaled down 9.99$ pocket games which still haven't materialised after press releases after another.

Atheist, I am sorry to say that you are a true BAF just like Samface. I sincerely hope you will wake up one day. The Amiga community can't afford to have wars. It can only afford to focus on moving forward.

Amigans have NO ONE LEFT. Let's face it, Eyetech is gone. No more AmigaOnes. No replacement for those who's warranty covered their mobo's problems. Alan is MIA. And Adam's stuff doesn't count, they're not standalone mobos but CPU cards and accelerators for the Classics. Where do the Amigans turn to?

Lemme say it again: Amigans come first. Our needs. The users. Not Amiga Inc or Genesi. But get this: the first of the 2 companies who gets the goods delivered first gets my money.

Ranting over. Back to stealth mode.

All beer tastes bad.

wegster 
Posted on 10-May-2006 17:09:31
#294 ]
Elite Member

@Atheist
Quote:

There's a third, which is the one some seem to be hoping for:
Hyperion eats the cost of licensing and/or the port, assuming they can even get a license from AInc, or they somehow do it without an AInc license.

In the event all possible hardware options fell through for Hyperion, the above might not be so improbable, but as it stands today, it at least continues to appear Hyperion have something in the works, presumably with someone or some company that is indeed paying those fees. While that remains true, I find it pretty unlikely for Hyperion to 'do a port for free,' and that is even assuming that AInc would ever grant a license to run on Genesi hardware, which I don't expect is the case.

With bbrv bringing up the term 'lawsuit' yet again, I find AInc giving a license to run OS4 on Genesi hardware even less likely than previously, and understandably so, IMO.

Quote:
No wonder he keeps coming back... Well hey, Amigas' the best looking chick on the block!!!!!!!

Umm, not really. Linux will sell far more boards than AOS ever could, as was seen with MOS vs Linux systems sold by Genesi.

Quote:
Nope, a one-to-one ratio of HW to SW is what's needed for survival.

Would you then buy Half-Life2 if you could only buy it with a new PC? Unlikely. A sale is a sale, and those numbers need to go up (for OS4).

Quote:
But, how many "by request" copies of AOS4.x is he going to sell for Hyperion? A record breaking 10 copies a year (2 more than mos)?

You distort things a bit. Genesi's goal would be to have OS4 drive some additional sales of his hardware, period. Do you really think only 8 people would buy a Peg II or Peg III to run OS4? Given the lack of alternative hardware, I'd believe it quite possible to match the numbers of A1s sold, or at least in the ballpark. As IIRC the 'goal' for Peg 3 sales in bbrv's business plan was something like 6,000 units, selling say, 500-1,000 of them to OS4 users would be a fair sized chunk of that..I'd likely buy one to replace my XE. Others would as well. In the event of some continued lawsuit, it might well affect my decision there, were this to ever become a possibility, but it wouldn't affect everyone's...nor at this point, do I get the impression AInc is doing much 'for' OS4 in the first place.

Quote:
So, am I still strange?

Do you REALLY want an answer to that. Of course you are.

SlayeR__ 
Posted on 10-May-2006 17:09:33
#295 ]
Cult Member

@ronaldst

Quote:
And Adam's stuff doesn't count, they're not standalone mobos but CPU cards and accelerators for the Classics. Where do the Amigans turn to?

Present A1 owners turn to Adam for his CPU modules for A1´s.

Rogue 
Posted on 10-May-2006 17:21:47
#296 ]
OS4 Core Developer

@Acill_MOS

Quote:
Things sure havent changed on here.

Well, they surely haven't, as little as they changed on your side.

Quote:
And its not propaganda stating you can get things for MOS that are not on OS4, its true. The same can be said for things on OS4 that can not be found for MOS as well.

If you had said so in your first post, I would be inclined to agree with you. As it was, it was (or came across as) propaganda.

ronaldst 
Posted on 10-May-2006 17:52:17
#297 ]

Quote:

SlayeR__ wrote:

Those CPU cards won't magically expand into new mobos for people to buy. Adam is offering a solution to a different problem (problematic A1s).

All beer tastes bad.

hnl_dk 
Posted on 10-May-2006 17:56:47
#298 ]

@ronaldst

Quote:

ronaldst wrote:
Quote:

SlayeR__ wrote:

Those CPU cards won't magically expand into new mobos for people to buy. Adam is offering a solution to a different problem (problematic A1s).

Not problematic A1s... it is more problematic A1 owners
IIRC all dead A1s been overclocked or things like that...

Please send no PM to me, email me if you want to contact me. See you somewhere else.

Acill 
Posted on 10-May-2006 18:11:46
#299 ]

@Rogue

Quote:

Rogue wrote:
@Acill_MOS

Quote:
Things sure havent changed on here.

Well, they surely haven't, as little as they changed on your side.

Quote:
And its not propaganda stating you can get things for MOS that are not on OS4, its true. The same can be said for things on OS4 that can not be found for MOS as well.

If you had said so in your first post, I would be inclined to agree with you. As it was, it was (or came across as) propaganda.

Oh come on, my post was as tame, I simply stated what anyone looking into it would see. It has nothing to do with my side. I have no side. I am an Amiga user as much today as I was when I got the A1000 in 1985.

Cant we just be friends and leave it at that? I came back here in good faith and to offer friendship. Remember in the past I had (still do in fact) offered to pay for a licence and only got flammed for it. The fact that I even offerd a good chuck of money and didnt even ask for anything in return should have shown where my loyalty is.

PEB 
Posted on 10-May-2006 18:50:35
#300 ]
Cult Member

@Acill_MOS

While I, like most here I'm sure, appreciate the generosity of your offers (past and present), you have to admit (if you are as objective as you say) that the following quote elevates MorphOS above AmigaOS4 in the fashion of the old "fighting words."

Quote:
Most everything on OS4 can be found native for MorphOS as well now. You can even find a lot of stuff on MorphOS that you cant find on OS4.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle