Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 148 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pixie:  7 mins ago
 Karlos:  36 mins ago
 OlafS25:  40 mins ago
 Matt3k:  43 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  1 hr 11 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 Hammer:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  1 hr 27 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 28 mins ago
 MichaelMerkel:  1 hr 58 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  ACK developer boards, we are near the one month late time period
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 Next Page )
PosterThread
Rob 
Re: ACK developer boards, we are near the one month late time period
Posted on 9-Jul-2007 1:08:56
#501 ]
Elite Member

@linnar

Quote:
The computer:
-With the name "Hyperioan OS 4,0" can't sell to the World market and I don't own one with this name.
-With the name "Amiga OS 4,0" come to sell much mor computers and I buy one.

If Hyperion win the case to carry on development and distribution of OS4 they will also win the right to use the word Amiga in conjunction with that product, it's all in the clause they claim self executed.

Quote:
And the computer must be a real complet computer with Amiga-like-design.
ACK (Adam) say it's the only way for him.

It still uses off the shelf parts, so what makes it different to say SAM440, Efika or someone else's product marketed under the name.

Quote:
The best, morally, for us all is if one of them by the other!
Hyperion and Amiga is a very strong part together, Bill McEwen own the Amiga
history and Hyperion build the best OS in the World.

I don't think Bill and Fleecy's Amiga Inc is the right company to take OS4 forward. In their initial filing against Hyperion they state that "Development of OS 4.0 was, and remains, critical to Amiga's plans and it re-emergence as a major force in the computer industry."

With the announcement of these system from ACK, Amiga is marketing Amiga OS as a desktop OS. If they are to move forward in this direction, they need to get basic applications such as a web browser and office suite available for OS4.

They have had developer level access to OS4.0 since the same time that everyone else, there has been nothing to stop them from starting work on software since that time and the present day. There are several Amiga applications such as Digita's Wordworth and Aladin 4D that they could buy off the shelf for not large an amount of money and they were given the sources of Personal Paint from Cloanto.

Nothing has been announced and nothing has been made with regard to Amiga software from Amiga Inc, they cannot survive on software and hardware licenses alone. They need to invest heavily in application development if they are to make it today.

Profile     Report this post  
koan 
Posted on 9-Jul-2007 1:20:53
#502 ]

@jtsiren

Quote:
I think this thread already achieved one goal when ACK chose to reply here.

They are merely words; talk is cheap as they say.

Let's see some real action - how long does it take a board to get shipped ? Say Ack ships them at the end of the week then 2 weeks should be sufficient to see 2 of the 3 users posting that they have received them. They should at least receive tracking information by early next week.

Why it took Ack so long to deal with their boards is another matter. I notice some people were discussing avenues for legal redress. Is it the threat of legal action that prompted Ack to do something ?

herewegoagain 
Posted on 9-Jul-2007 2:15:51
#503 ]
Elite Member

@hatschi

Quote:

hatschi wrote:
@herewegoagain

Of course I was talking about the Amiga community as perceived from this website, e.g. in polls or in forum discussions.
It was in response to linnar, who said that "**we** wait Amiga Inc win in the court!"
This gave the impression that most, if not all, people would support Amiga Inc in the lawsuit, although this is simply not the case.

However I do think that the general opinion is not much different outside of this community, so maybe it's even representative.

Ah, so just a bit over 11% of the users here side with Hyperion, and you call that the majority of the community? That's odd, because by my count, that leaves about 89% listed in "some other category". However, that is just my opinion, and it is no more correct than your "majority" theory.

I would be willing to bet that if they didn't care enough to vote in that poll, they probably don't care which side wins. This is sort of like the Red/Blue wars. Not everyone had a side, and most didn't want a side, just end user products. There were a vocal MINORITY on both sides who caused all of the public wars.

koan 
Posted on 9-Jul-2007 3:51:38
#504 ]

@Rob

Quote:
If Hyperion win the case to carry on development and distribution of OS4 they will also win the right to use the word Amiga in conjunction with that product

...and it will still be AmigaOS 4.0. Where is the future for Hyperion's OS ? They will only be able to call it Amiga OS 4. As they improve it, maybe they can call it OS 4 with a version number or a codename (How about naming it after big cats ? - there's a novel thought). Unless they purchase the trademark of Amiga, they will never be able to call a version "OS 5".

OS4 has too many restrictions - if Hyperion win the court case then they are allowed to sell it to people with A1s, uA1s and Classic PPC - hardly a big market. MorphOS is available for Pegasos and Classic PPC and soon EFIKA but MOS team are not interested in porting to A1 etc because 1. They don't have a test machine and 2. Market is too small.

For the software side of things, maybe Hyperion can soldier on with future variants of OS4 but unless they get licences for new hardware I don't think it's financially viable.

Quote:
It still uses off the shelf parts, so what makes it different to say SAM440, Efika

Amiga One and microA1 were reference designs. Ack's "hardware" is a modified reference design. SAM440 and EFIKA are System on Chip boards. There is nothing new here. These so-called hardware manufacturers are nothing but box merchants, flogging the hardware equivalent of Hello World to suckers like us. I have no problem with that for SAM and EFIKA, especially at less than $100, but it's not a future for our community, just a temporary measure.

Quote:
they cannot survive on software and hardware licenses alone

They are a software company that has none of their own software and no hardware to run it on.

Last edited by koan on 09-Jul-2007 at 03:52 AM.
Last edited by koan on 09-Jul-2007 at 03:52 AM.

jtsiren 
Posted on 9-Jul-2007 7:01:31
#505 ]
Cult Member

@koan

Quote:
They are merely words; talk is cheap as they say.

Agreed, of course. Each person waiting for their board had already received, according to them, numerous promises before - I know this.

But I personally promised to give ACK a chance should they come out and post here a status update, so I'm waiting with an open mind for them to deliver this time. At least the time scale in this case is quite small - we'll see soon enough if there are results.

Pyramider 
Posted on 9-Jul-2007 8:15:10
#506 ]

@herewegoagain

, The results on that poll (in quote with link) state a 70% in favor of Hyperion, and the remaining 30% for Amiga.
Perhaps you are refferring to another poll. Well possible, cause had so many of them in the past.

hatschi 
Posted on 9-Jul-2007 8:46:50
#507 ]
Elite Member

@Pyramider

Quote:

Pyramider wrote:
@herewegoagain
, The results on that poll (in quote with link) state a 70% in favor of Hyperion, and the remaining 30% for Amiga.
Perhaps you are refferring to another poll. Well possible, cause had so many of them in the past.

His remark ("11% of the users here side with Hyperion") is based on the belief that only those voted who either side with Hyperion or AI and *all* who didn't vote don't care about who "wins". OTOH, my theory is based upon the belief that the poll results are indicative of the general opinion among the AW.net members and that there is only a small number of people who don't care who will first "win" or go bancrupt.
Nobody is right or wrong in this case, we would have to ask *every* AW.net member to figure that out.

wolfe 
Posted on 9-Jul-2007 9:06:38
#508 ]

@Rob

Quote:

Rob wrote:

I don't think Bill and Fleecy's Amiga Inc is the right company to take OS4 forward. In their initial filing against Hyperion they state that "Development of OS 4.0 was, and remains, critical to Amiga's plans and it re-emergence as a major force in the computer industry."

But AI can't develope OS 4 to make OS 5 (or whatever) because Hyperion hasn't turned over a copy of the code, binaries and a copy of the contracts with 3rd party developers as per a contract that they signed.

Quote:

With the announcement of these system from ACK, Amiga is marketing Amiga OS as a desktop OS. If they are to move forward in this direction, they need to get basic applications such as a web browser and office suite available for OS4.

And they may have developed some, but for OS 5 not OS 4. They planned, by the contract, to take the OS and go their own direction, and Hyperion run OS 4. That arrangement has been cancelled officially by AI and by actions of Hyperion. They said that they have been working for 2 years on software as OS 4 progressed. A lie? Maybe. But unless they get a copy of OS 4, the building block for OS 5 (or whatever) we will never know.

linnar 
Posted on 9-Jul-2007 9:37:28
#509 ]
Cult Member

@Rob

Quote:
If Hyperion win the case to carry on development and distribution of OS4 they will also win the right to use the word Amiga in conjunction with that product, it's all in the clause they claim self executed.

Sorry, but Hyperion don't win!

Quote:
It still uses off the shelf parts, so what makes it different to say SAM440, Efika or someone else's product marketed under the name.

If my mother by a computer and with the post it's come a motherboard ??!!!
It's not a computer, it's only a part she can do nothing with. For the market
out ther You MUST have a real computer with OS installed.
Amiga can't survive in the mikro-antiamiga-community-market. They most out in the World with realy complet computer.
ACK have a realy complet computer on way and I hope that design is like the old good
Amiga.
And don't say ACK is a liar, giv him a chans!!

Quote:
/.../ nothing has been made with regard to Amiga software from Amiga Inc, /.../

And that do You now?
Do You now any more wath happening inside Amiga Inc?

Quote:
They need to invest heavily in application development if they are to make it today.

Yes!
But,
Do You now that to?

To many in this self-experted-forum now to much! Funny...

hatschi 
Posted on 9-Jul-2007 9:42:15
#510 ]
Elite Member

@linnar

Quote:
And that do You now?
Do You now any more wath happening inside Amiga Inc?

This should give you an indication:

Quote:
A visit to Amiga's Issaquah offices last week found just McEwen and one other employee in a suite of offices strewn with cardboard boxes and old computers.

linnar 
Posted on 9-Jul-2007 10:03:24
#511 ]
Cult Member

@hatschi

Quote:

This should give you an indication:

And what? I can't se anything what happening on inside Amiga Inc. in the article !?

Quote:
A visit to Amiga's Issaquah offices last week found just McEwen and one other employee in a suite of offices strewn with cardboard boxes and old computers.

I have se pic's from many other software and hardware offices.......

koan 
Posted on 9-Jul-2007 10:08:35
#512 ]

@wolfe

Quote:
But AI can't develope OS 4 to make OS 5 (or whatever) because Hyperion hasn't turned over a copy of the code, binaries...

At one time, AI said that OS 5 was totally new and not dependent on OS 4. Now they are saying that OS 5 is totally dependent on OS 4.

But, how can you be working "for 2 years" on software that is totally dependent on something you don't have ?

Cool_amigaN 
Posted on 9-Jul-2007 10:51:01
#513 ]

@linnar

Quote:

linnar wrote:
@Rob

lol, I like your style!

How you can be so sure about the outcome of the trial?

Hmm, lately too many people foresee the future!

herewegoagain 
Posted on 9-Jul-2007 11:02:13
#514 ]
Elite Member

@koan

Quote:

koan wrote:
@wolfe

Quote:
But AI can't develope OS 4 to make OS 5 (or whatever) because Hyperion hasn't turned over a copy of the code, binaries...

At one time, AI said that OS 5 was totally new and not dependent on OS 4. Now they are saying that OS 5 is totally dependent on OS 4.

But, how can you be working "for 2 years" on software that is totally dependent on something you don't have ?

Hmm.. You might want to ask OS4 developers that question too. They worked on OS4 for nearly a year without the ExecSG kernel (wasn't the number 11 months stated in an interview?). They used 3.9 to test the bits and pieces of code long before it ran all together with the new kernel.

wolfe 
Posted on 9-Jul-2007 11:05:56
#515 ]

@koan

You don't think AI has an A1, developer kit etc. . . How better to follow the progress of an investment ?

hatschi 
Posted on 9-Jul-2007 11:21:43
#516 ]
Elite Member

@linnar

Quote:
And what? I can't se anything what happening on inside Amiga Inc. in the article !?

I don't see that either - who knows, maybe it's because there isn't anything happening?
Well, except for McEwen sitting between some cardboard boxes and having a phone call with their lawyers and the major of Kent now and then.

I take it that your belief is that McEwen and the "other employee" are busy coding OS5, right?

linnar 
Posted on 9-Jul-2007 11:39:15
#517 ]
Cult Member

@Cool_amigaN

Quote:

Cool_amigaN wrote:
@linnar

Quote:

linnar wrote:
@Rob

lol, I like your style!

How you can be so sure about the outcome of the trial?

Hmm, lately too many people foresee the future!

I'm so tired on all this Hyperion-lovers (I like Hyperion to but to the normal way).
But it's mutch tru in that Amiga Inc win on one or other way to the last.

One way:
I think Amiga Inc go forward slowly and with many new fact in the cort. If it take to
long time it's be a expensive court and Hyperion go bankrupt.

Other way:
If Hyperion win, Amiga must do somthing radical movement to bring it hom
again. I think Amiga Inc buy Hyperion.

I speculate, I dont now exactly some all other here...

If we all use the brain than we understand that Amiga Inc fight for survive. And
Pentti and other cant lose the invested money. They fight to the bitter end. The
bitter end is for Hyperion. Hyperion don't have the money to fight to hard. Before
"to the end" Hyperion dropp the case for a survive.

linnar 
Posted on 9-Jul-2007 11:44:21
#518 ]
Cult Member

@hatschi

Quote:

hatschi wrote:
@linnar

Quote:

I don't see that either - who knows, maybe it's because there isn't anything happening?
Well, except for McEwen sitting between some cardboard boxes and having a phone call with their lawyers and the major of Kent now and then.

I take it that your belief is that McEwen and the "other employee" are busy coding OS5, right?

Maybe You have right!
I and other don't now....

If Bill McEwen lie so big, have Adam ACK get money to lie to?
I don't think so!

Last edited by linnar on 09-Jul-2007 at 11:46 AM.

Cool_amigaN 
Posted on 9-Jul-2007 12:11:32
#519 ]

@linnar

Quote:

If Hyperion win, Amiga must do somthing radical movement to bring it hom
again. I think Amiga Inc buy Hyperion.

Nope, they just can’t bought something that is not for sale, Hyperion just like Amiga Inc is a privately owned company. And since Bill claimed that they offered $2m for OS4 to Hyperion and this proposal was rejected (?) then they must higher their bet. But do you seriously believe that they are in position to invest $4m or $5m to buy Hyperion and additional $2m in order to pay off OS4 developers?

d0c 
Posted on 9-Jul-2007 12:23:04
#520 ]
Cult Member

@linnar
Quote:

@hatschi
Quote:

have you forgot the amiga india?.... there are 50 or more people down there working hard to bring us aos5.0 as we speak.... ack will soon bring us new hw you know...

Last edited by d0c on 09-Jul-2007 at 12:23 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle