Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
19 crawler(s) on-line.
 98 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OneTimer1:  15 mins ago
 Rassilon:  17 mins ago
 amigakit:  19 mins ago
 Matt3k:  21 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  28 mins ago
 gryfon:  30 mins ago
 t0lkien:  34 mins ago
 Gunnar:  43 mins ago
 Karlos:  43 mins ago
 pavlor:  44 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  AmigaAnywhere gets introduced to the Pandora community...
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
PosterThread
linnar 
Re: AmigaAnywhere gets introduced to the Pandora community...
Posted on 29-Jun-2009 20:44:30
#41 ]
Cult Member

@RedMelons

Quote:

RedMelons wrote:
@linnar
Like this?

Fun with stripes !

But it is not the question about Amiga Anywhere anything. We know no more about Amiga Anywhere by reading funny strips .

Profile     Report this post  
linnar 
Posted on 29-Jun-2009 21:00:08
#42 ]
Cult Member

@Flashlab

Quote:

While I think it's nice you have fun with AA2, you have to stay realistic here. Yes, it was a stupid comment. You claim it was necessary to create marketing buzz. While he did get his quote on several media, he was made the laughing-stock for many people. Ask yourself this; was this good PR for Amiga or not? What if OS5 will never appear or, heaven forbid, it does appear and totally fails to deliver his claim. Now that would be really bad, "Snowman Maker" bad IMHO.

I agree that you need to advertise "professionals skilled work". Question is whether OS5 is "professionals skilled work". I don't know because I haven't seen anything from it and chances are that I will never see anything from OS5.

I do not have fun with AA2, but I have tested it before I spoke to many others that just hanging on and echo like saying the same things that those with authority.
Regarding the statement by Bill McEwen I think personally that it was wrong and ridiculous. But I can note that it actually gave a huge amount of publicity about all the Amiga, even OS4. If you look what the intention was the statement genius, but I do not know if it was the intention.
If OS5 never lose it's because there is money or the like.
I could spin on this but the thread is about AA2 so I refrain.

Last edited by linnar on 29-Jun-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Last edited by linnar on 29-Jun-2009 at 09:02 PM.

Troels 
Posted on 29-Jun-2009 21:28:54
#43 ]
Elite Member

@linnar
I have to agree with the others that the statement by Bill was ridiculous.

If/when you make such a claim you have to back it up with something. If I was a MAC/WIN user reading it I would have expected at least a video showing off some features of OS5.

Claiming that a non existing product is better than OSX is stupid and will make you (and AmigaOS) look stupid.

IMHO he did a lot more harm than good with that statement. And personally I will most likely never believe a word he says in the future (if he should care to this community at all).

linnar 
Posted on 29-Jun-2009 23:08:55
#44 ]
Cult Member

@Troels

The Amiga community can see his statement that more harm than good because it built up a portfolio of nonsense in which this is one of them.
As I see it, there are circumstances in which some statements and promises could not be held. Using this information reduces the content of the nonsense in the portfolio down properly.
I am aware that the Amiga community not not want to hear it, but so is the reality if you read the history of Amiga Inc and intrevjuer by Bill McEwen and so on.

The genius of Bill McEwen's statement can not see until it precenterar OS5 and that it actually is as good as said.
If that happens, there would surprise moment missed if shown photos or videos before the presentation.

I just want to say that I do not want to start a sub debate in this thread on the Amiga's history or why I think it is developing a new OS in Amiga house.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 29-Jun-2009 23:33:03
#45 ]
Team Member

@linnar

Engadget is not an Amiga community site. And its article clearly makes fun of Bill. I still can't see the forum site this thread is about. But its not surprising to me that talking about Amiga Anywhere and/or OS5 as a platform to anyone outside of the community is not going to be received well. Especially if anyone looks at Amiga, Inc.'s website or does any googling.

Amiga 1200

linnar 
Posted on 30-Jun-2009 6:14:27
#46 ]
Cult Member

@fairlanefastback

Quote:

fairlanefastback wrote:
@linnar

Engadget is not an Amiga community site. And its article clearly makes fun of Bill. I still can't see the forum site this thread is about. But its not surprising to me that talking about Amiga Anywhere and/or OS5 as a platform to anyone outside of the community is not going to be received well. Especially if anyone looks at Amiga, Inc.'s website or does any googling.

The on "outside" which makes a mockery of the Bill are often involved in the debate on the "inside", also seems the people who make fun of others are not particularly serious. We write simply not the case if it is serious. I have read in several other places where you do not participate in the debate and are common data news journalists. They write professionally and well, whether it is Amiga Inc or Microsoft.
I think the opposite with OS5 and Aa2. I think that only people "outside" who will use these tools. But in time will also be involved in the "inside" and thus will OS5 to become part of the Amiga community.

If OS5 will not within a reasonable time, I believe that it is finished with Amiga Inc.

Uuups, now you tricked me out in OT swamp!

PS
I do not think Amiga Inc's website is so bad. What makes it bad is the lack of movement. There are much worse than the websites, but looks good because it always something happening there.
However, I agree with that it would not harm them if it became more attractive.
DS

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 30-Jun-2009 14:32:30
#47 ]
Team Member

@linnar

Quote:
The on "outside" which makes a mockery of the Bill are often involved in the debate on the "inside"

Which has nothing to do with Bill making a public statement that was sure to make technology sites outside the community and the negative reaction that would obviously ensue among outsiders for making such a fantastical claim against the highly regarded and well loved OS X. Engadget would have reacted the same way if any other company with no history of making an operating system ever (and had not shown any proof of even its basic existence to anyone) were crazy enough to make such claims without proof.

Quote:
They write professionally and well, whether it is Amiga Inc or Microsoft.

And good journalists are critical when necessary. Surely a wild claim like Bill made is one of those times. And as usual the big update on the OS where that claim was supposed to be substantiated never came. And as usual much time has passed since the deadline and nothing.

Quote:
If OS5 will not within a reasonable time, I believe that it is finished with Amiga Inc.

Its my perception that a lot of people felt that reasonable time expired around when there was the failure to deliver the info on OS5 when promised and the failure to deliver the ACK designed new Amiga's. How much more time is reasonable to you? And does reading things like the AA2 developer on here that says Amiga can't even pay him a few hundred bucks they owe make you re-think that at all?

Amiga 1200

linnar 
Posted on 30-Jun-2009 22:51:00
#48 ]
Cult Member

@fairlanefastback

Quote:

fairlanefastback wrote:
@linnar

Quote:
The on "outside" which makes a mockery of the Bill are often involved in the debate on the "inside"

Which has nothing to do with Bill making a public statement that was sure to make technology sites outside the community and the negative reaction that would obviously ensue among outsiders for making such a fantastical claim against the highly regarded and well loved OS X. Engadget would have reacted the same way if any other company with no history of making an operating system ever (and had not shown any proof of even its basic existence to anyone) were crazy enough to make such claims without proof.

There are many who claim things without showing "evidence", it is often not even desirable to show some "evidence".

I are developing an accounting software. I have programmed in almost two years. The program will be simpler than other similar programs to work with. So, now I have revealed what I agree with but do not think I show any evidence, it is not even desirable from my side. It is my choice and nobody else. Nobody has anything to say that I chose to do in this way. Not even a bunch of writers who evenly and constantly would write that I am an idiot or has lost its foothold, and so on. yes, it is enough to actually read this forum you will see yourself personal persecution going on here.
But simply by saying that I agree with such a program on forunm for such programs has increased tenfold the number of visits on the website of the program. There has been a great success of my program before it even finished and it is about half a year (uups, now I promised something that is difficult to implement in the short time period, perhaps a little like Bill McEwen and thousands of other entrepreneurs? ).
Quote:

Quote:
They write professionally and well, whether it is Amiga Inc or Microsoft.

And good journalists are critical when necessary. Surely a wild claim like Bill made is one of those times. And as usual the big update on the OS where that claim was supposed to be substantiated never came. And as usual much time has passed since the deadline and nothing.

It is only initiated by journalists who know Bill, OS5 and everything around it. They maybe even a party to the proceedings.
Otherwise, to be critical journalist is not the same as being a silly journalist.

Quote:

Quote:

Its my perception that a lot of people felt that reasonable time expired around when there was the failure to deliver the info on OS5 when promised and the failure to deliver the ACK designed new Amiga's. How much more time is reasonable to you? And does reading things like the AA2 developer on here that says Amiga can't even pay him a few hundred bucks they owe make you re-think that at all?

Well, I can have opinions but I or others have not one iota to do with how long it takes. You can be disappointed by the long wait and finally choose something else. More than you can or should not do quite enklet that you do not have to do with it.
However one can speculate on why things are as it is but it does not mean that you should write down any of the grave.
Details of who paid or not and how it has to, what is behind, etc. really is a matter between two parties and should not be included in a hobby forum. We may not even know if it is true among all the other idiotic topics.
I think I must stop writing for this time, there are those who are waiting for my accounting software. I fear that they soon start to call me "new McEwen" if I promised not completed soon .....

Samurai_Crow 
Posted on 1-Jul-2009 2:54:54
#49 ]
Elite Member

@thread

The GP32x website is back up. You can view the two threads in the original post again.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 1-Jul-2009 5:27:29
#50 ]
Team Member

@linnar

Quote:
It is only initiated by journalists who know Bill, OS5 and everything around it. They maybe even a party to the proceedings.

Really? And you know this to be so how exactly?

Quote:
Details of who paid or not and how it has to, what is behind, etc. really is a matter between two parties and should not be included in a hobby forum.

Its a matter for only the two parties and not the public? BS. Current negotiations are private, but the case has been entirely public:

http://news.justia.com/cases/featured/washington/wawdce/2:2007cv00631/143245/

Amiga 1200

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 1-Jul-2009 5:32:00
#51 ]
Team Member

@Samurai_Crow

Quote:

Samurai_Crow wrote:
@thread

The GP32x website is back up. You can view the two threads in the original post again.

Wow. Just got to read them for the first time. That 40 percent thing, it sounds like they don't even want developers... Who would give away that much profit unless you were diehard Amigan dying to make an app with an Amiga, Inc. product, just so you could say you did?

Amiga 1200

linnar 
Posted on 1-Jul-2009 6:10:46
#52 ]
Cult Member

@fairlanefastback

Quote:

fairlanefastback wrote:
@linnar

Quote:

Really? And you know this to be so how exactly?

Quote:
Details of who paid or not and how it has to, what is behind, etc. really is a matter between two parties and should not be included in a hobby forum.

Its a matter for only the two parties and not the public? BS. Current negotiations are private, but the case has been entirely public:

http://news.justia.com/cases/featured/washington/wawdce/2:2007cv00631/143245/

No, I do not know if this is so, but my experience on these issues says that it is so. Just that a journalist writes almost the same as this forum shows that he learned the style is here.
I have read several articles about similar issues and they did not touch the issues that tend to be the theme in articles written by those who depend on various Amiga forum.

I think you very well know what I mean. I do still try to explain further.
If a neighbor says another neighbor owes him money, I do not believe in the straight. Usually, I look away from such statements until I heard the other party to tell their views.
I can post the messages here that you do not pay back the money I lent to you. But it would be a lie and if it was not a lie, it would be highly inappropriate.

When something has become a lawsuit, it is always publicly whether I want or not want to know.

Last edited by linnar on 01-Jul-2009 at 06:11 AM.

Arko 
Posted on 1-Jul-2009 13:19:49
#53 ]

@Pleng

Quote:

Pleng wrote:
Thought you might be interested to see the reaction by the Pandora community (including some very strong words from the project leader himself) when AmigaAnywhere was introduced as a development platform:

As far as I see AA2 is prety worthless for Pandora:

Pandora runs Linux, Linux support for AA2 was annolunced but I could only find Windows as hosting plattform.

Microsoft PocketPC QVGA
Windows Mobile Smartphone
U3 for Microsoft Windows
Microsoft Windows 2000/XP/Vista
Windows Mobile 5/6

If someone runs Linux it is better to write his games for SDL and other applications for X11. I believe there are better possibilities to run a download store for Pandora games.

I borrowed this comments from here (#27 & #28):
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=38873&forum=2&start=20&order=0

Pleng 
Posted on 1-Jul-2009 16:19:52
#54 ]

@Arko

Quote:

As far as I see AA2 is pretty worthless for Pandora .

I think half of that sentence is superfluous. .

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 1-Jul-2009 17:09:22
#55 ]
Team Member

@linnar

Quote:
No, I do not know if this is so, but my experience on these issues says that it is so. Just that a journalist writes almost the same as this forum shows that he learned the style is here.

Or more likely he does not view the world through rose colored glasses and reported the obvious. Its just that you don't like the obvious in this case.

Quote:
I have read several articles about similar issues and they did not touch the issues that tend to be the theme in articles written by those who depend on various Amiga forum.

The Seattle Times reported on the condition of the Amiga, Inc. office by going there and seeing it for themselves:
Quote:
A visit to Amiga's Issaquah offices last week found just McEwen and one other employee in a suite of offices strewn with cardboard boxes and old computers.

We learned that from their investigative reporting, not the other way around. And anyone who knows anything about technology will know that some company that you google and quickly find a bad rep on is to be treated with severe skepticism when making a claim that their OS is much better than a highly praised OS like OSX.

And these journalists took the time to verify with an independent analyst:

Quote:
Whatever the company's future might hold, it currently registers barely a blip in the wireless and computing worlds.

Rob Enderle, a California-based technology analyst, said the Amiga name still carries some cachet, mainly because of computers and software produced decades ago. A cadre of Amiga enthusiasts continues to exist, running magazines, Web sites and online forums.

But in recent years, Enderle said, the Amiga name has rarely been associated with innovation.

He questioned the wisdom of the company's deal with Kent.

"It doesn't make a huge lot of sense to drop $10 million on marketing with naming rights when they don't have a lot to market," Enderle said. "It seems like a company that is trying to make it look like they are larger than they are to attract investors."

Seattle Times article that is quoted above

Last edited by fairlanefastback on 01-Jul-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Last edited by fairlanefastback on 01-Jul-2009 at 05:11 PM.
Last edited by fairlanefastback on 01-Jul-2009 at 05:10 PM.

Amiga 1200

pavlor 
Posted on 1-Jul-2009 17:23:25
#56 ]
Elite Member

@Pleng

Quote:
I think half of that sentence is superfluous.

Why? It is nice technology.

Your logic seems to be simple:
You hate Amiga.Inc, thus you hate everything they made...

Am I wrong?

Pleng 
Posted on 1-Jul-2009 17:41:03
#57 ]

@pavlor

Prove it's nice technology.

Don't copy and paste marketing hype from Amiga, don't spew out a load of meaningless technobable that doesn't mean anything.

Demonstrate an example of something worthwhile that's been produced with it. Then explain, in simple terms, why AA was a better choice than C/SDL.

retro 
Posted on 1-Jul-2009 17:53:04
#58 ]

lets get things nice and sparkly clear here,
aa2 is not amiga os 5
and amiga os 5 accding to bill should be better then os x. and it should be shown to the public over a year a ago, sooo every one dont belive or think there is anything before wee see some screenshots off it...

by the way,
way is the SDK not free or out..
i cant find it (anywere)-hahaha !!!

linnar 
Posted on 1-Jul-2009 17:57:24
#59 ]
Cult Member

@fairlanefastback
Quote:
Or more likely he does not view the world through rose colored glasses and reported the obvious. Its just that you don't like the obvious in this case.

I see no course in this case!
You can not write initiated if, for example, Amiga Inc if you do not put itself in the matter. There is also a rarity that a journalist takes a stand against something, and openly show their contempt.

Quote:
A visit to Amiga's Issaquah offices last week found just McEwen and one other employee in a suite of offices strewn with cardboard boxes and old computers.

Would this be startling in any way? I have been in dozens of offices that would fit this description. What does "old computers"? It can, in principle, mean new computers that are well-reverse or why not some old Amiga of any type.
In other words, this is absolute nonsense and nothing to build something on.
It does not mean that I think Amiga is active, I have no idea about it.

Quote:
Whatever the company's future might hold, it currently registers barely a blip in the wireless and computing worlds.

Rob Enderle, a California-based technology analyst, said the Amiga name still carries some cachet, mainly because of computers and software produced decades ago. A cadre of Amiga enthusiasts continues to exist, running magazines, Web sites and online forums.

But in recent years, Enderle said, the Amiga name has rarely been associated with innovation.

He questioned the wisdom of the company's deal with Kent.

"It doesn't make a huge lot of sense to drop $10 million on marketing with naming rights when they don't have a lot to market," Enderle said. "It seems like a company that is trying to make it look like they are larger than they are to attract investors."

Possible that it is true, but the possibility is equal to is not the case when the Amiga Inc does not need to be exposed in public with what is going on. It may also be possible to Amiga Inc used in two ways, firstly as a shop window in any commercial document as well as Bill McEwen really want to achieve.

fairlanefastback 
Posted on 1-Jul-2009 18:02:30
#60 ]
Team Member

@pavlor

Quote:

pavlor wrote:
@Pleng

Quote:
I think half of that sentence is superfluous.

Why? It is nice technology.

Your logic seems to be simple:
You hate Amiga.Inc, thus you hate everything they made...

Am I wrong?

Pleng has a point. What AA2 app illustrates it being a nice technology? It never came out for some of the operating systems they said it would for. Which as a middleware solution whose goal is to be on almost any OS with a single source code totally defeats the purpose if its not out for many operating systems. And the few folks who said they would make apps, most of them never did, and one who did said he has not gotten paid. AA2 has as no visible movement since Digital Experience in early 2008. And no one ever came up with good answers as to why they should use it instead of other already available technologies.

Amiga 1200

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle