Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
8 crawler(s) on-line.
 154 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Hypex

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hypex:  17 secs ago
 DiscreetFX:  28 mins ago
 klx300r:  36 mins ago
 Matt3k:  2 hrs 11 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs 42 mins ago
 amigasociety:  4 hrs 4 mins ago
 matthey:  4 hrs 49 mins ago
 RobertB:  5 hrs 6 mins ago
 Rob:  5 hrs 31 mins ago
 number6:  6 hrs 36 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Alt Amiga OS
      /  Why can't AROS catch on?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
PosterThread
clusteruk 
Re: Why can't AROS catch on?
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 13:44:43
#121 ]

Edit: Removed this post as I do not want to start a flame war again, been there.

Last edited by clusteruk on 13-Feb-2010 at 01:48 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
gonegahgah 
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 13:56:28
#122 ]

@Hisoka999

Quote:
I didn't meant the multiple screen feature itself. I meant for what do I need unlimited screens? I can fully live with 4 of them.

Only because it is something you have to do manually in Linux.
Having screens automatically created easily is a nice feature.
Windows with its one screen feels like prison.
Linux with its settable number of screens is so legacy still.
Why can't it do unlimited screens?

Quote:
When was the last time you used Linux? My system recognizes all other drives and tries to mount them. On Haiku it is the same except that you need to mount it yourself(in the UI). So is that really something the AmigaOS is better in?

Far better. You can click on the DVD unit's eject button and it automatically ejects and if the DVD is no longer needed on the Amiga it dissappears. I have Fedora 11. As far as I am aware you still have to use the mouse to eject DVDs. The DVD unit may as well not have an eject button. And unlike the other OSes the Amiga OS has intelligence about which DVDs are inserted and which are still depended upon.

I'm not saying the Amiga OS is the best OS. Personally none of them satisfy me.
But I certainly know some of the things it did best.

DAX 
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 13:58:26
#123 ]
Elite Member

@terminills
Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to be polemic, just to offer a suggestion. If Aros developers truly see that their audience is indeed growing with the situation as is, then more power to them.

phase5fan 
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 15:59:54
#124 ]

@paolone

Quote:
So it's great that someone puts his efforts achieving UAE integration, but I'd really prefer to see newer, more modern applications being ported or written from scratch on AROS, than live on archaic programs of a glorious past

Without these archaic software AROS will never be properly tested.

Quote:
Then, I prefer people spending less than 10 euros to buy the value edition of Amiga Forever, than thinking to the few AROS developers spending their lives trying to catch binary compatibility with... uh... iBrowse or Deluxe Paint?

On x86 there are many operating systems better than AROS, if you do not have binary compatibility, you have nothing.

phase5fan 
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 16:03:19
#125 ]

@Manu

Cinnamon writer is SDL based software.
Cinnamon writer do not use AMIGA API.

Trixie 
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 16:44:34
#126 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Manu

Quote:
I don't think Windows users like Amiga.

Or rather: "I don't think Windows users KNOW Amiga."

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

pixie 
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 16:46:38
#127 ]
Elite Member

@ikir

Quote:
I think you and others have taken this thing ins the wrong way. First of all calm down, and chill your aros pride. Then what he mean with "AROS fans are still talking to the wrong people" is: you should go to ask, advertise on windows forums, because usually a pc users didn't even know amigaworld.net exist. Probably AROS needs more publicity on other kind of forums. Then Linux is not sluggish, and Aros like OS4 and MOS needs to catch up on many thing to be considerate an alternative to WIndows or OSX.

And in which way is this exclusive to AROS gang? Couldn't it be said about any of the Amiganoid OS out there such OS 4 and MOS? Here is just where Amiga peopl like to hang and talk about, it's like saying 'nothing new here move along', well, this line of reasoning could also be applied to the rest and the forum cease to exist...

Amiga fans are talking to the wrong people you know, perhaps they shouldn't be allowed to talk, AT ALL.

DAX 
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 18:15:36
#128 ]
Elite Member

@pixie
What you say should be saved for when followers of other OSs will ask the same question.
Since the guy asked "why Aros..."

But it probably doesn't end there, you should see from comments on major news items, that AmigaOS news always get more hits and more comments (a ratio of 10 to 1 or even 20 to 1 compared to Aros, depending on how "important" the news item is) which should give a hint or two on the fact that Aros doesn't generate the same amount of interest around here (and again this is not my opinion just statistical evidence) hence, the suggestion to focus elsewhere all the more, compared to other camps.

Last edited by DAX on 14-Feb-2010 at 09:59 AM.

steril606 
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 19:16:57
#129 ]

I feel a lot of the stuff talked about here applies to any other flavour of Amiga OSes as well, so I am wondering why that gets mentioned.

We are all having the same problems, and no real cure for them.

paolone 
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 20:49:41
#130 ]

@whose

Quote:
Well, you talked about "modern hardware 3D acceleration"... on which basis? Did ATI or NVidia give real internal information away to AROS people? Or to the Linux crowd? If they did, I believe I missed some very important information. Lets face it: You just hope to get more modern 3D hardware accelleration

Nope. On the basis of a real, ongoing port of Gallium 3D, which already works with Nvidia GeForce FX, 6 and 7 series AGP and PCI Express cards. Port of the nuveau graphic drivers has already been completed and now we're getting proper AGP/PCIE bus transfer rates. I can already run 3D games with hardware acceleration on my AROS box using a GeForce 7900 card. An early demonstration of the technology (AROS running GLExcess with full hw acceleration) is still available here. As you can see, my "hopes" are well placed.

paolone 
Posted on 13-Feb-2010 21:10:27
#131 ]

@Minuous

Quote:
Why would I want to use AROS instead of WinUAE+OS3.9?

Because I can use J-UAE+OS3.9 AND AROS, and I keep my Amiga habits both outside and inside the virtual machine.

And, ehm... err, I don't feel a particular need of apps running on OS 3.9...

radical 
Posted on 15-Feb-2010 21:08:02
#132 ]

@Al4

In my opinion, AROS hasn't caught on because it is still very unfinished in its core Amiga-like GUI software (graphics, layers, intuition, workbench). It has only recently been able to change the mouse pointer for example.. Previously it would spew errors that the function ChangeExtSpriteA() isn't implemented, and who wants to see that? There are other core technologies that need to be fleshed out too, but they're kind of irrelevant (to me) without a suitable open sourced Amiga-ish RTG GUI base to work with.

Last edited by radical on 15-Feb-2010 at 09:09 PM.

nikosidis 
Posted on 15-Feb-2010 21:53:31
#133 ]
Cult Member

Yes, AROS lacks some stuff that AmigaOS and morphOS have. At the same time AROS also have advantages that Amiga and morphOS don't have.

I don't want to come up with a list of these things, but for AROS that would first of all be that it's free, and hardware is cheap and fast.

There are problems with all 3 OS that is unlikely to be solved ever. Stuff that a OS lacks will always be their evil. I feel that people will never be happy unless everything is there. That would include (java, flash, office suite, mem.. protection, multicore support) etc etc

There are still some crazy people around like us, that love Amiga or Amiga like computers, and there are still people that love atari, c-64 or whatever.
The point is that we are way behind no mater what. What is cool is that we are still alive, and our OS is quite usefull at many things.

AROS is to me a hobby that I enjoy. I learned lots of things being a part of the AROS project.
I have a dedicated aros-box, but I can also enjoy AROS (hosted) under a real OS like Ubuntu 9.10

Last edited by nikosidis on 15-Feb-2010 at 09:55 PM.

serk118 
Posted on 15-Feb-2010 22:41:37
#134 ]
Cult Member

@nikosidis

Quote:
AROS that would first of all be that it's free, and hardware is cheap and fast.

i am a happy Aros and WinUAE AmigaOs 3.9 user.
because
-chaep hw
-fast hw
-free os
&
we are running 68k apps on aros and you os4/mos users running same apps we are running
nothing more or less you have no killer apps or we.

Right now its possible to run aros on my acerone without any emulation & that what i care & i ask you >>can you run os4 on a laptop? whats that i can not hear you did you just said NOOOO

if no than os4 and mos nice os`es & with x1000 they going to get more power & you are going to feel the power than until than i stick to aros / winuae for my hooby os & if i like to use pro os than i use windoz or mac plus linux can do what windoz nowdays.

Last edited by serk118 on 15-Feb-2010 at 10:52 PM.

http://serk118.blogspot.com/

phase5fan 
Posted on 16-Feb-2010 0:08:37
#135 ]

@nikosidis

Quote:
I don't want to come up with a list of these things, but for AROS that would first of all be that it's free, and hardware is cheap and fast.

I paid 90 EURO for MorphOS hardware.
(Mac Mini 1.33 GHz G4 ).

kolla 
Posted on 16-Feb-2010 2:22:16
#136 ]
Elite Member

Why do people here write "amiga's" instead of "amigas"?

Manu 
Posted on 16-Feb-2010 6:55:12
#137 ]

No matter what the naysayers say, Aros will always be mine Amiga

Thanks to all devs that support the open "Amiga" effort

LoneHaranguer 
Posted on 16-Feb-2010 8:29:35
#138 ]

The only reason that I'm not running AROS is that it won't run on any of the computers I've got.

I'm planning to get an Acer Aspire soon though. And an X1000 when they come out. Pity MorphOS won't run on the X1000

At the moment, I run Windoze & Linux, & I hate them both.

olegil 
Posted on 16-Feb-2010 9:17:08
#139 ]
Elite Member

@kolla

Well, I guess they have the same sentiment towards languages as they have toward computers.

As in, "knowledge about how a system/program/format works shouldn't be a necessity to use it".

It's pretty much why I gave up on trying to help people on here with their Linux problems.

Some other classics: Bought/brought, their/they're/there, of/have (I mean, COME ON! How are those even REMOTELY ####ING SIMILAR? )

Using "voltage" instead of "potential", which leads to inventing new words like "amperage" instead of "current" (I, measured in A) or possible "charge" (amperehours, Ah or Coulomb, C). Sometimes I don't even know what people mean.

Hammer 
Posted on 16-Feb-2010 9:27:02
#140 ]
Elite Member

@Manu

Quote:

Manu wrote:
@ikir

Quote:

I think you and others have taken this thing ins the wrong way. First of all calm down, and chill your aros pride.

I am completely calm, how about you ? Pride, I have no pride I'm the ***hole that first liked OS4 and later sold his soul to AROS

Quote:

Then what he mean with "AROS fans are still talking to the wrong people" is: you should go to ask, advertise on windows forums, because usually a pc users didn't even know amigaworld.net exist. Probably AROS needs more publicity on other kind of forums

I don't think Windows users like Amiga.

http://blogs.msdn.com/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2005/07/18/440250.aspx

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle