Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 157 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hammer:  5 mins ago
 billt:  54 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 44 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 54 mins ago
 amigakit:  2 hrs 5 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 22 mins ago
 Matt3k:  2 hrs 38 mins ago
 OlafS25:  2 hrs 48 mins ago
 RobertB:  4 hrs 28 mins ago
 A1200:  4 hrs 36 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Website feedback and suggestions
      /  [Poll] Commodore USA's Amigas and Amigaworld.net
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
Poll : How should AW.net handle Commodore USA's Amigas?
Treat it as off-topic except in General Technology, Alt Amiga OS, & Free for all.
Create a new forum for Commodore USA Amigas.
Allow it to be discussed in Amiga general chat like any other Amiga (classic, AmigaOne etc).
Some other option (explain in a post).

PosterThread
Plaz 
Re: [Poll] Commodore USA's Amigas and Amigaworld.net
Posted on 21-Oct-2010 15:18:56
#321 ]

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:
surprised to find out that much of the people writing those articles were ex amigans by their own admission.

Many among the Apple and Amiga groups are crossplatformers. When commodore died, Apple was another logical option for those less receptive to Wintel. I've owned and sold a couple myself.

I warn you though. For Apple as well as Amigans It's about the OS, not the name, not the cool flashy box. (god knows after the 64 Commmodore C= couldn't make a worthy case) Those ex-Amigan Apple users may slam C=USA as bad or worse as you'll see around here if they think you've offended their fond memory.

Plaz

Profile     Report this post  
emeck 
Posted on 21-Oct-2010 15:29:03
#322 ]
Cult Member

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:
I hate to break it to you, but we do live in a capitalistic system where pretty much everything is revolving around money. No money, no game. And since it is C=USA who is investing money, it is THEIR GAME.

You are not breaking anything to me or anyone here. As you said, it is their game. And it is a game few of us are interested in.

Quote:
You can decide whether you'd like to watch it or not. Don't like the game? Switch to another channel.

That is exactly what we are trying to tell you. You didn't like the game we play here, so WHY are you here? WHY is so important to you that we like C=USA and their new Amiga brand? I don't get it.

Best wishes for them in their business. And to you enjoying your new windows/linux/whatever machine. When there is something Amiga for them (and not just a name or retro case) tell us, and, at least I, will consider it. For now there is nothing interesting.

Again, as you said, it is not my game, and this is not yours nor C=USA.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 21-Oct-2010 15:29:51
#323 ]

@Plaz

Quote:
I warn you though. For Apple as well as Amigans It's about the OS, not the name, not the cool flashy box. (god knows after the 64 Commmodore C= couldn't make a worthy case) Those ex-Amigan Apple users may slam C=USA as bad or worse as you'll see around here if they think you've offended their fond memory.

Yes, I'm perfectly aware of that issue. But here's the thing. It really would not be a difficult or expensive thing to make a linux/UNIX-oid OS to look, feel and act like Amiga OS. It would also not be all that difficult to include integrated emulation of 68k apps and games in a way nobody would ever notice the emulation.
Yes, sure, a good number of those ex-amigans might be repulsed by the idea of something not being AmigaOS based, but some of them would hardly notice. Remember, it was not the OS that sold old amigas, but mainly games. And they can have games. Like Leo said, a good number of those people will eventually install windows, no matter which OS you put on them. The same happens on Macs, especially with people coming from PCs.

Also, a good number of poeple today couldn't care less what is "under the hood". x86 won. Windows won. OS X and Linux won. Just give them means to have as many apps and games as they wish and they're happy.
Those users that worry about these things are probably represented in the biggest part by the current community that stayed true to genuine amiga-like OSes over the years.
Note that many of those ex-amigans left exactly because Amiga OS was slowly falling behind the competition. So for them, a modern, amiga-like looking OS might not be a deal breaker.

Last edited by WolfToTheMoon on 21-Oct-2010 at 03:32 PM.

cha05e90 
Posted on 21-Oct-2010 15:33:20
#324 ]

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:
Switch to another channel.

No, we won't. It's our channel.

eliyahu 
Posted on 21-Oct-2010 15:39:03
#325 ]

@WolfToTheMoon

since you have alluded to 'up and coming' announcements from 'commodore USA,' it appears you are 'in the know' a bit more than the rest of us. i also note that you joined here shortly after the announcement from barry and friends regarding the licensing of the amiga trademark and brand.

would you disclose any ties you have to CUSA and/or its principles, please?

-- eliyahu

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 21-Oct-2010 15:40:08
#326 ]

@cha05e90

When you cash out for an amiga license, it will become your channel to run. Right now, you're just a subscriber or a listener to a channel, just like me. Not the owner or editor, to put things metaphorically. If the editorial policy on some channel(s) doesn't suit your preferences, you are always free to tune in to a another channel. Happy listening.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 21-Oct-2010 15:43:02
#327 ]

@eliyahu

No ties with C=USA. Had some chat with them, but the contents will stay private. It will be public in due time... like I said, patience. A week, two and more will be known.

number6 
Posted on 21-Oct-2010 15:48:15
#328 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:
It will be public in due time

That reads as if "your chats" will become public in due time.
Is that what you meant to say?

emeck 
Posted on 21-Oct-2010 15:53:36
#329 ]
Cult Member

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:
It really would not be a difficult or expensive thing to make a linux/UNIX-oid OS to look, feel and act like Amiga OS. It would also not be all that difficult to include integrated emulation of 68k apps and games in a way nobody would ever notice the emulation.

I don't know if it is difficult or not. As you say, it is not only the look. There is a Window Manager that emulates Workbench look for Linux already, but it still works and feels like Linux (at least for me).

If they manage to do that, great. That would be interesting. For now, it is just another pc reseller offering windows/linux systems. Fancy cases or not, Amiga label or not.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 21-Oct-2010 15:54:13
#330 ]

@number

No, nothing specific was said to me. Just some general, non-disclosed things that will take place in due time. When? Like I said, it could be made public in the coming weeks.

edit: To add this so not to create confusion. I know nothing specific, only some small details that are very general and should be available to all of you in short time. All this OS talk was always, underlined, MY opinions/suggestions.

Last edited by WolfToTheMoon on 21-Oct-2010 at 04:00 PM.

Plaz 
Posted on 21-Oct-2010 17:42:00
#331 ]

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:
But here's the thing. It really would not be a difficult or expensive thing to make a linux/UNIX-oid OS to look, feel and act like Amiga OS.

Yes we know, nothing new. Most of us have done it more than once. My own collects dust. (slight yawn)

I'll agree with you on point... If C=USA can put together a system that boots right up to an Amiga look and feel, in an Amiga looking case it may appeal to many an old fan. Just please stop bashing the rest of us over the head with it eh?

As for who owns the channel... are you playing to my paranoia posted earlier? Will C=USA look to shutter any site now carrying their brand name if they choose not to fall in line? Or just doing some chest thumping?

Plaz

Edit: typo

Last edited by Plaz on 21-Oct-2010 at 05:42 PM.

number6 
Posted on 21-Oct-2010 17:52:36
#332 ]
Elite Member

@Plaz

Quote:
As for who owns the channel... are you playing to my paranoia posted earlier? Will C=USA look to shutter any site now carrying their brand name if they choose not to fall in line? Or just doing some chest thumping?

That's partly why I asked my previous question. I thought it would be good for him to clarify once again that he does not make such decisions. He's now done that. He seems to be a supporter/enthusiast.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 21-Oct-2010 18:00:06
#333 ]

@Plaz

Quote:
If C=USA can put together a system that boots right up to an Amiga look and feel, in an Amiga looking case it may appeal to many an old fan. Just please stop bashing the rest of us over the head with it eh?

I never intended to slam anybody and if it came out that way, I apologize. But some facts should not be avoided because some might be sensitive about them. that goes both ways. I have absolutely no problems for anybody to debate with me, as long as it is civilized and argumentative.

Quote:
Will C=USA look to shutter any site now carrying their brand name if they choose not to fall in line? Or just doing some chest thumping?

No. Many of you have misunderstood them. They are perfectly aware they will probably not sell many x86 Amigas to members of these forums. They're here solely for the purpose of suggestions which they have not be given many(reasonable ones, not ones saying something in style of "you're not amiga - drop dead and die"). Nobody will force you into anything. This is a free world(still).

Any chest thumping that occured was probably the result of the initial onslaught on C=USA when news first broke the light of day. I do not approve of it personally, though, but I can put myself in their position. From my contact with them I got a positive impression. And I imagine should you try the same you'll probably come to a similar conclusion, as long as you're open minded and well mannered.

this community should "use" Leo... suggest realistic things and they might come true and might ease your "discomfort" of x86 amigas. I know for many of you that might be impossible because of your thoughts to which you are perfectly entitled to, but then at least be patient, open-minded and see what they have planned for Amiga. Then judge for yourself, just like I will.

Like I said, I cannot imagine things getting much worse for Amiga in whole. Only better.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 21-Oct-2010 18:07:05
#334 ]

@all

BTW, one more thing to note.
We will be having both x86, ppc amigas. Maybe even ARM amigas in the future. And 3, possibly even more then that, amiga-like OSes on the market. So, anybody can pick their favorite combination. That is astonishing considering it has been 15 years since CBM's demise.

Things do not look too bad for amiga's future, don't you think?

number6 
Posted on 21-Oct-2010 18:15:52
#335 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:
We will be having

Doh! He's back to being a rep again. heh.

I think you should go with "they" in such statements.
I know...silly, but still will avoid how you are viewed.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 21-Oct-2010 18:21:23
#336 ]

@number6

We was written as in the "we, the whole amiga community" of all colors and flavors.
Well, I tried to sound as neutral as I could. From now on, I'll practice neutrality from all camps(that is to say I'll favor no camp) until C=USA present their plan.(before anybody jumps to conclusion that this means I'll then favor them then, I will not. I will make a decision just like the rest of you, by what they do and the quality of their work)

Last edited by WolfToTheMoon on 21-Oct-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Last edited by WolfToTheMoon on 21-Oct-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Last edited by WolfToTheMoon on 21-Oct-2010 at 06:21 PM.

number6 
Posted on 21-Oct-2010 18:28:36
#337 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon

I fully understood your use of the collective term "we" to speak to "community".
But whether it's fair or not, you've given an impression of a connection with C=USA partly due to a large # of postings in a relatively short period of time.
Please understand it is not I who have any problem with your choice of words.
I'm just keenly aware of how closely the members are reading your posts to pick them apart.
Welcome to Amigaworld. heh.

In slow times on Amigaworld, there is more devotion given to topics beyond the norm. That can be general hardware and company discusssion (like this thread), free for all, or even...dare I mention...counting threads.
I think you will see a different picture of the website in the next 3 days, and perhaps a bit of a removed focus on C=, which might be a pleasant break at this time.

Last edited by number6 on 21-Oct-2010 at 06:37 PM.

sundown 
Posted on 21-Oct-2010 18:39:49
#338 ]
Elite Member

@number6

Quote:
WolfToTheMoon

@number

Oh look number6, he uses WookieChat...

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 21-Oct-2010 18:58:41
#339 ]

@number6

Quote:
I think you will see a different picture of the website in the next 3 days, and perhaps a bit of a removed focus on C=, which might be a pleasant break at this time.

I agree with you. I'll say nothing more on this matter until we have a bigger picture of C=USA plans.
I do look forward to amiWest and I intend to watch streams, well, at least those I can catch because of the time zone differences.

marko 
Posted on 21-Oct-2010 19:43:12
#340 ]
From: Gothenburg, THE front side of Sweden ;), (via Finland), EU

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:
I do look forward to amiWest and I intend to watch streams, well, at least those I can catch because of the time zone differences.

So where are you from anyway, Australia?

m4rko.com/AMIGA

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle