Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 160 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

matthey

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  2 mins ago
 Hypex:  10 mins ago
 agami:  18 mins ago
 Matt3k:  44 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 34 mins ago
 amigasociety:  2 hrs 49 mins ago
 billt:  4 hrs 32 mins ago
 Rob:  5 hrs 32 mins ago
 amigakit:  5 hrs 43 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  6 hrs ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Inc. offshoot
      /  Workbench 5 = AROS?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
PosterThread
RedMelons 
Re: Workbench 5 = AROS?
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 11:38:35
#21 ]

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:
I'm perfectly aware of what Commodore USA is doing and I like it

I agree. Some people are saying that it is heresy to move to Intel processors and a Unix OS, but they are often the same people who say that Amiga is only a hobby for retro-entusiasts and should stay that way - i.e. a lingering death, but beautifully elitist.

I think Commodore USA are offering the only real solution for a long-term future for the Amiga idea - or do people think that Commodore would still have been producing M68K or even PPC computers in 2011? Why are so many Amigaworld users reading this site using Microsoft Windows or Mac OS X computers?

Profile     Report this post  
Kicko 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 11:46:39
#22 ]
Elite Member

The idea to run on x86 is ofcourse nice but i already have x86 machine running linux/aros/winuae.

I would be the happiest guy if i had amigaos4 running on x86. Morphos folks would probably also be happy with x86 version. Aros is already on most platforms and work continues on it.

I also like os4.1 that comes with this nice piece of machine but its still not running amigaos. Virus TI

Last edited by Kicko on 23-Jan-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Last edited by Kicko on 23-Jan-2011 at 11:47 AM.

linnar 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 11:50:19
#23 ]
Cult Member

Please Amiga community!

You say that Commedore steal from you.
Hyperion exercised a clause in the contract to develop AmigaOS to steal it over to their company. It is a horribly ugly way of dealing with contracts between two companies. The clause was written into the contract to save on AmigaOS Amiga Inc would disappear.
The only relative of the classic Amiga AmigaOS have is a forced agreement that Hyperion has the right to it.

Commodore bought the right of Amiga Inc of Amiga Inc delight. Upcoming Worknench is a natural development of Amiga Classic os to take it into the future without missing more time than the last 10 years.

It is no longer developing small niche OS for the processor architecture that is now rarely used in PCs. There will be problems with hardware, drivers and costs. Such a computer will stay with those with the most money in the inner circle of Amiga culture. The "Amiga" will disappear with the users. Growth will be so small that it is not sufficient to increase the amount of users.
PPC is the end of the PC processor and small niche os is nothing but fun, expensive and small hobby just for the inner elite of the Amiga community!

If Commodore handles this right, people will continue to see their computers as an Amiga just as people today look like a Acer Acer and Workbench as an Amiga OS as obvious as the Mac OS is Mac OS.
If the kernel called Linux, Ford, Niel Amstrong, or Sitting Bull ignore people completely in only it works. Now called Linux kernel and the kernel will dominate the market in the future. The development of Kanan will go from hobby development of idealist development of an industrial development where the ISO and ANSI will set the standard.
Linux is the future OS kernel!

Those of you who do not believe in it, what are you afraid of?
Hyperion OS with x1000 will of course take the market by storm, right?

It is actually in a way that the Commodore will help Hyperion OS with x1000 to survive a little longer due to a few percent of the Commodore's customers are attracted to Hyperionkonceptet and go over there. Most of Hyperion supporters will post a couple of years to be dominated by those who are going through Commedore. The atmosphere at these Amiga Forum will go from suicidal to drive and pleasure.

Everyone benefits if Commedore succeed!

Wraith2021 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 11:54:26
#24 ]

@RedMelons

I agree completely.

At least Commodore are attempting to bring the Amiga to the masses, which is more than what anyone else has done.

They know they need to have the most powerful hardware combined with software that has a solid future, and by making it modern yet reminiscent of Workbench with a ram disk and a fully user friendly GUI, where you don't see the shell underneath and it is tailored to their specific hardware configuration, and has lots of modern software out of the door, which seems the best way to go.

They also said that Workbench 6 would be even more refined and Workbench like, but instead of going backwards, they want to move forwards. They are attempting to take on Apple, which is a big thing.

rebraist 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 12:03:06
#25 ]

@almost all:
commodore does its work.
amiga reputation? 0
Amiga simply "isn't" for the world outside. At his best today is a spanish word.
Commodore bought the name for nostalgic people: the same people who had a a500 20 years ago to play kickoff and perhaps is continuing playing today on some other machine.
This ppc amiga is no more amiga than cusa amiga. Amiga was another thing.
Amiga was powerful. Sam isn't powerful
Amiga had unique features. Sam460 unique features is its incompatibility pcie-sata controller.
Amiga was powerful at budget prices. Sam is less powerful than a netbook at insane prices.
Amiga had custom chips. What is custom in sam?
Amiga was an hobby? Let's ask to nasa... Would they take a sam with os4 for their works?? I don't answer to this because it's too bad.

samo79 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 12:12:13
#26 ]
Elite Member

@thread

GIGA LOL

http://www.betatesting.it/backforthefuture

Sam440ep Flex 800 Mhz 1 GB Ram + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6
AmigaOne XE G3 800 Mhz - 640 MB Ram - Radeon 9200 SE + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6

AmiDelf2 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 12:27:38
#27 ]

opi 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 12:29:58
#28 ]
Team Member

@AmiDelf2

The spirit of Amiga is what? Zombies reaching out for balls? There's no such thing.

Last edited by opi on 23-Jan-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Last edited by opi on 23-Jan-2011 at 12:30 PM.

Panthro 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 12:42:45
#29 ]

why is a company naming it's self in a way that makes ppl think they are the original Commodore?
why license the name Amiga as a brand and place a Workbench(ish) theme and name it workbench5
why load it up with emulators etc.

well because businesses are here to make money not friends and if Joe average is fooled
and coughed up money then they are successful.

sure there will even be ppl in the Amiga community who like the idea & probably always sat in the "go X86" camp too, so what?

they have he official brand name (something that the Amiga never was, commodore was the brand) yeah they are posing as something they are not to make a buck it happens all the time.

cha05e90 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 12:51:08
#30 ]

@rebraist

Quote:
Amiga was an hobby? Let's ask to nasa... Would they take a sam with os4 for their works?? I don't answer to this because it's too bad.

But of course they won't hesitate to use an "Commodore Amiga" with "Workbench 5" , won't they?

Quote:
Amiga was powerful. Sam isn't powerful

Hm - my SAM is much more powerful than my Amigas.

Last edited by cha05e90 on 23-Jan-2011 at 12:52 PM.

cha05e90 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 12:54:28
#31 ]

@RedMelons

Quote:
I think Commodore USA are offering the only real solution for a long-term future for the Amiga idea

And I don't think so.

T-J 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 13:07:24
#32 ]
Cult Member

@Wraith2021

Quote:
They also said that Workbench 6 would be even more refined and Workbench like, but instead of going backwards, they want to move forwards. They are attempting to take on Apple, which is a big thing.

Con artists like Bill and hucksters like Barry will tell you whatever you want to hear. Since you and your fellow CUSA supporters so desperately want the word 'Amiga' to be stuck on something major and mainstream, that's what they will tell you.

Its entirely your business if you decide to ignore their business histories and believe them. Quite apart from that, though, there's an interesting question to ask. Why is it so important that a rather unremarkable five-letter word be attached to a mainstream product? Because that's all you'll have left if Bill and Barry turn out to be telling the truth - just a word.

eXec 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 13:16:59
#33 ]
Cult Member

@Kicko

Quote:

Kicko wrote:
@rebraist

why is commodore worst ? Have you missed something. Acube runs amigaos4.x, commodore doesnt. I already have a laptop here with windows7 and i can install linux or whatever on it. Dont need to by anything branded with amiga that dont run amigaos. I have winuae and Aros on it too :)

Maybe users like eXec will buy this commodore computer or two and imagine they use the real amiga :)

A user like eXec will buy a C= Amiga computer... you can bet on it.
And I can run Adobe Creative Suite on it.... you know...cut/arrange HD video,
do some photoshop stuffs... Run Nuendo, Reason, Omnisphere, Wavelab,
Native Instruments Komplete...

You got the point by now? Can you run any of these? Or do you have a decent
replacement for them under OS4 ?

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 13:17:00
#34 ]

@T-J

What's left of AMIGA today, T-J? An overpriced, obsolete system with a small community.

Well, I'm sorry, but I think more is possible...

This is like when Porsche went from aircooled engines to watercooled in 996 911.

damocles 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 13:17:33
#35 ]

@jahc

Quote:
Is this F.A.Q trying to sound appealing to anyone interested in anything Amiga-like?

Initial WB5, probably not. What it will evolve into that maybe of interest to the current "Amiga" community. All three AmigaOID OSs have had what, atleast 10 years of development? C=USA can achieve some interesting things given some time and they just inked the deal last Fall (or Spring for you all down under) with Amiga Inc.. If you have ever been envolved in a start up, you have a good grasp of what has to be created as far as contracts, financing, production, distrobution, marketing, support, and corporate structure. Setting up some thing like C=USA isn't a microwave meal, everything has to be created and put into place then growing pains have to be managed.

So the way I look at it, C64x = WB5. C64x is NOT an Amiga, it's a C64 follow on. Amiga series will be later on with, hopefully, the follow on to WB5 at it's launch.

pixie 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 14:23:51
#36 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaPapst

Quote:

AmigaPapst wrote:
@fatman2021

Definitely no. AROS has nothing to do with the real AmigaOS or Workbench.

Troll

eXec 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 14:33:43
#37 ]
Cult Member

@opi

Quote:

opi wrote:
@AmiDelf2

The spirit of Amiga is what? Zombies reaching out for balls? There's no such thing.

This is your first post where we two share the same vision!

It˙s like that! ;)

linnar 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 14:52:50
#38 ]
Cult Member

Commedore Workbench and x86 is not a real Amiga?

What determines what is real Amiga?

If the origin Commedore switched to x86 and developed Workbench for x86 with Linux kernel, it would have been a real Amiga?

If another company buys original Commedore and continued development of the Workbench with the Linux kernel, it would have been a real Amiga, then?

If a company, with the help of the judiciary takes over the rights of the AmigaOS4 against Amiga Inc will, develops and sells as an Amiga, it's a real Amiga?

Ford developed the T-Ford to a success. Can you recognize T Ford in today's Ford?
Is it really true Fodar when the pedals on the floor and the lever under the steering wheel no longer has the same functions?

A car with a Ford Brand on it is really a Ford?

Yes, it is a Ford, even though T-Ford driver could not identify with any item in the new model Ford.

It called for development!

Commedore bought the rights to the name Amiga of the rightful owner, then they can call all its hardware and OS for the Amiga. They can also say it's Amiga in a direct line.

Hyperion can also say that AmigaOS4 is an Amiga in a direct line.

But none of them continue with the original processor architecture. Both have chosen something that is better and available today. It is an entirely natural development.

Both Amiga and both can benefit from each other!

Troels 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 15:04:37
#39 ]
Elite Member

@eXec
I could probably run whatever you mention on my wintel box, no need to buy overpriced chinese pc hw that probably won't run what you mention (on their Linux distro) for that.

What's holding you back from running this stuff already, why wait for cusa to actually deliver?

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 23-Jan-2011 15:17:40
#40 ]
Elite Member

@Opi, eXec, Linnar, Wraith2021

Its funny that none her knows what Workbench 5 is going to be like, yet there are some people arguing for it like its the 2en coming of Jesus.

So what makes this an Amiga? And way do you think it brings Amiga to the masses, way do think any one outside the Amiga community cares? (I have not seen lots of new registered members on this site).

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 23-Jan-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 23-Jan-2011 at 03:18 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle