Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
6 crawler(s) on-line.
 137 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 billt:  44 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 33 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 44 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 55 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 12 mins ago
 Matt3k:  2 hrs 27 mins ago
 OlafS25:  2 hrs 38 mins ago
 RobertB:  4 hrs 18 mins ago
 A1200:  4 hrs 25 mins ago
 pixie:  4 hrs 30 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Alt Amiga OS
      /  [Poll] Should CUSA posts and promotions be allowed at AW.net now and in the future?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
Poll : What do you think we should do with CUSA posts?
Let them be all the time .... CUSA has Amiga name, I like it and other reasons
It should be discussed after the product is realised
It shouldn`t be promoted at all at AW.net
Every user that promotes it against other Amigas should get abuse points

PosterThread
Panthro 
Re: [Poll] Should CUSA posts and promotions be allowed at AW.net now and in the future?
Posted on 6-Feb-2011 14:01:36
#201 ]

Amiga Os is at ver 4.2 and you are suggesting it has imitated it's self?
way to apear informed and impartial.

also commodoreUSA not being the same entity is why they dont have os4. . . this
was a key point in court.

Profile     Report this post  
T-J 
Re: [Poll] Should CUSA posts and promotions be allowed at AW.net now and in the future?
Posted on 6-Feb-2011 14:10:28
#202 ]
Cult Member

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:
Evidence? How bout securing licenses for both Commodore and Amiga brands... which hasn't been accomplished in the last 15 years by anyone. Besides that, I don't think Barry has to provide any other evidence other then working products - and that will be coming soon.

No. I want evidence that Barry is a 'successful technology entrepreneur'. Getting a license from Amiga Inc was probably the easiest thing in the world after the Hyperion court case. AmigaInc is after all a broken failed scam. Barry probably offered to host their site on his server or something.

Getting the license from Asiarim/Commodore is also a non-achievement, built on the efforts of the Asiarim people. Added to that is the fact that Barry only has license from Asiarim/Commodore to name keyboard computers with the Commodore branding.

Quote:
Geeks cannot sell or manufacture those in large quantities, can they?

Barry needs a six-figure sum to achieve what geeks in sheds do for petty cash. Manufacturing something in large quantities usually makes it cheaper, here in the real world.

Quote:
I can name numerous cases similar to that. One including A-eon and Hyperion.

Read my comment again. I said that I find CUSAs schedule slippage very interesting. I also heavily implied that theirs slips every time A-Eon's does. And by roughly the same amount. Suspicious, no? Especially given AmigaInc's history and the lack of any publicly available evidence to make Barry look like anything other than yet another spiv trying to turn a fast buck on an Amiga-related scam.

Last edited by T-J on 06-Feb-2011 at 02:10 PM.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 6-Feb-2011 14:16:37
#203 ]

@T-J

Quote:
No. I want evidence that Barry is a 'successful technology entrepreneur'. Getting a license from Amiga Inc was probably the easiest thing in the world after the Hyperion court case.

So why didn't Hyperion do it?

Quote:
Added to that is the fact that Barry only has license from Asiarim/Commodore to name keyboard computers with the Commodore branding.

They have exclusive rights to that. Other form factors are non-exclusive.

Quote:
Barry needs a six-figure sum to achieve what geeks in sheds do for petty cash. Manufacturing something in large quantities usually makes it cheaper, here in the real world.

here in real world, products must undergo testing and comply under various rules.

Quote:
Read my comment again. I said that I find CUSAs schedule slippage very interesting. I also heavily implied that theirs slips every time A-Eon's does. And by roughly the same amount. Suspicious, no? Especially given AmigaInc's history and the lack of any publicly available evidence to make Barry look like anything other than yet another spiv trying to turn a fast buck on an Amiga-related scam.

So, wait a minute... Amiga Inc and Barry would team up, license Commodore brand, get a web site going, pay for OS development, pay for commercials, pay for C64x development and what not... just to trouble Hyperion? Wow... you should really be writing sci-fi novels with that kind of imagination

Nimrod 
Posted on 6-Feb-2011 14:49:51
#204 ]

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:

WolfToTheMoon wrote:
@T-J

Quote:
No. I want evidence that Barry is a 'successful technology entrepreneur'. Getting a license from Amiga Inc was probably the easiest thing in the world after the Hyperion court case.

So why didn't Hyperion do it?

At the end of a really unpleasant court battle?
Hyperion were the one company in the whole world that AmigaInc would NOT want to quietly do business with.

On a separate note I just got in from a trip to PCWorld.
Half of the shop is taken up by TV's, mp3 players, digital cameras etc.
One third of the remainder is dedicated to iPads, the remaining two thirds being Windows7 based machines, with three exceptions.
One netbook with XP, and two netbooks with Ubuntu.

Based on these observations, how do CommodeUSA think there is a mass market demand for a small PC with a funny keyboard, running an oddly laid out version of linux?

damocles 
Posted on 6-Feb-2011 14:55:59
#205 ]

@Nimrod

Quote:
Based on these observations, how do CommodeUSA think there is a mass market demand for a small PC with a funny keyboard, running an oddly laid out version of linux?

Wait until you see the marketing plan, then you will understand the initial phase. The key will be the follow up OS and new content generation to continue the momentum.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 6-Feb-2011 14:57:43
#206 ]

@Nimrod

Quote:

C=USA will be selling a lot more products then just C64x. But judging by the attention C64x gets, it will sell very fine

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 6-Feb-2011 14:59:33
#207 ]
Elite Member

@damocles

Simply can't wait for snowman maker 2011 or 2012

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 06-Feb-2011 at 02:59 PM.

eXec 
Posted on 6-Feb-2011 15:00:14
#208 ]
Cult Member

@Nimrod

Quote:
At the end of a really unpleasant court battle? Hyperion were the one company in the whole world that AmigaInc would NOT want to quietly do business with.

And do you know why? Or you just heard something on the internet
and took that for granted?

T-J 
Posted on 6-Feb-2011 15:05:59
#209 ]
Cult Member

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:
So, wait a minute... Amiga Inc and Barry would team up, license Commodore brand, get a web site going, pay for OS development, pay for commercials, pay for C64x development and what not... just to trouble Hyperion? Wow... you should really be writing sci-fi novels with that kind of imagination

Oh, you don't like that one, then?

How about this: Bill and Barry team up, make a lot of noise about the big comeback, get a website going, tell their fanboys they've paid for OS development, claim they've paid for commercials, use one of the many, many C64 replicas to make it look like they've done some development and what not, so that some hapless investor buys the whole outfit off them for a couple of million.

The hapless investor finds the whole thing is just a smokescreen of fake activity, but by the time they've realised this, Bill and Barry are sipping pina coladas on the beach in Barbados, safe from retribution.

If neither you, Damocles, BigBenTheAussie nor Barry himself are willing to provide us with any evidence whatsoever to back up your claims, I am going to have to come to a conclusion based on what I can find publicly available on the internet.

And all I can find is evidence that Barry's tech experience amounts to nearly being sued by HBO in the 1980s, for... Lying about his business activities.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 6-Feb-2011 15:10:33
#210 ]

@T-J

Quote:
Oh, you don't like that one, then?

Actually, I had a good laugh.

Quote:
If neither you, Damocles, BigBenTheAussie nor Barry himself are willing to provide us with any evidence whatsoever to back up your claims, I am going to have to come to a conclusion based on what I can find publicly available on the internet.

A few independent people from Amiga.org have seen the details and hardware and they seem to be confirming the story. But if that isn't enough for you, then you'll just gonna have to wait to see products in stores.... which, btw, should be pretty soon

T-J 
Posted on 6-Feb-2011 15:14:45
#211 ]
Cult Member

@WolfToTheMoon

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=56381

You mean more legal threats from the Great and Mighty Barry?

Now I get to have a good laugh.

edit: Franko threads are usually fun to read, and this one is no exception.

Last edited by T-J on 06-Feb-2011 at 03:20 PM.

Nimrod 
Posted on 6-Feb-2011 15:23:47
#212 ]

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:

A few independent people from Amiga.org have seen the details and hardware and they seem to be confirming the story. But if that isn't enough for you, then you'll just gonna have to wait to see products in stores.... which, btw, should be pretty soon

Will that be on display next to the XP/Ubuntu netbooks, or pushing the iPad into a quiet corner?

@eXec
Quote:

And do you know why? Or you just heard something on the internet
and took that for granted?

The reason behind the dispute is in this case irrelevant, as is who was the guilty party. The only relevant point in the answer to WolfToThe Moon's question is that at the time Ben and Barry were not exactly the best of friends.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 6-Feb-2011 15:26:12
#213 ]

@Nimrod

Quote:
Will that be on display next to the XP/Ubuntu netbooks, or pushing the iPad into a quiet corner?

We'll see...

But I guess it will be interesting to see people's reaction to C64x in stores... It's great thinking on their part, it doesn't have to sell well, it will bring people to their products just to check it out.

eXec 
Posted on 6-Feb-2011 15:28:37
#214 ]
Cult Member

@Nimrod

Quote:
@eXec Quote: And do you know why? Or you just heard something on the internet and took that for granted? The reason behind the dispute is in this case irrelevant, as is who was the guilty party. The only relevant point in the answer to WolfToThe Moon's question is that at the time Ben and Barry were not exactly the best of friends.

So...we`re talking about rumors?

vox 
Posted on 6-Feb-2011 15:33:17
#215 ]
Elite Member

@linnar

Quote:

My opinion is that the new Commodore is the true inheritor of the old Commodore Amiga and their is a straight continuation of the classic Amiga. Workbench5 is a natural continuation of OS3.9.
Everything else is the clones!
Therefore, I think the Commodore shall have their natural place here on the forum.
If any year, the majority of Amiga users use the Commodore Amiga anyway.

- It's the winning team who write history!
- It is the buyer of a brand that determines what (it should be), when (it should be) and how (it should be)!
- It does not necessarily linked to old Amiga
- There are actually links
- Hardware or software can be quite different from the old days
- Everything else is opinion!
- Commodore's reality, in the present, in past and future!

- I expect to get beaten when I stir a bit
[/quote]

You meant, its the winners who RE-Writte the history

Well, there are no real links, and actually this is opinion, there are no actual links except purchase of lince to NAME All In One PC Commodore 64 / Commodore Amiga. Contract/info/aquision of rights that gives rights to EMULATE them has not been presented since CUSA has not purchased the companies but just rights to NAME their PCs.

Actual link is as strong as claim that peasents apple in Serbia
is made by Apple USA, computer company

vox 
Posted on 6-Feb-2011 15:40:33
#216 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:

WolfToTheMoon wrote:
@vox

Quote:
Maybe if they would be extremely successfull all over the world from Croatia to Australia, USA and Germany, like they dream to, they could buy Hyperion and pay them to do it. But that is even on a longer stick.

If you read Red's report on Amiga.org, they have no intention of buying Hyperion.

They do have a intention to, sometimes in the future, buy Amiga Inc and Commodore corp and unite them once again under the same banner.

This could get big

Its good to know the high end of the DREAM that has NOT YET begun to materialize.

Eben buying those two entities (which would ensure rights to further Commodore and Amiga products) would not give rights to last generation of AmigaOS, and AmigaOS 3 is something that is dead and emulated for real and not developed beyond OS 3.9 (AROS 68k is something completely different).

So this yet doesnºt give rights to anything related to AmigaOS 4 but maybe
legal Amithlon OS 3.x for CUSA maybe as CommodOS 12

IF a lot of things get by how they plan.

Moreover, what I read these days, DESKTOPS seems to be dead to Internet services. No matter how x86 arhitecture is advanced, its the speed of the net and net apps and services that rule the world. What do people do beside Office and movies? Go to Facebook, Tube, e-mail etc. most of time. So they would do better if offered high speed AMIGA internet these days ...

Also, this brings us back to unecessary power accumulation. Next gen Windows is announced for ARM even ARM is weaker in power then PPC. Maybe just because of mobile phones and tablets. Not only AmigaOS 4 could go also there in the future, but this means that this kind of cloud computing shows that except for gaming having i7 Amiga is completely unecessary. Phoenix or SAM would do the magic with high speed net in terms of computing power.

So this COULD be a big blow to CUSA + Apple will again have some new Mac for sure. Hash competition out there!

damocles 
Posted on 6-Feb-2011 16:29:44
#217 ]

@vox

Quote:
Also, this brings us back to unecessary power accumulation. Next gen Windows is announced for ARM even ARM is weaker in power then PPC.

As far as mobile PPC SOCs, I wouldn't say that ARM is weaker. Given the quad core A15 that will be released in 2-3 year range, even the ARM vs PPC desktops may have ARM over whatever PPC are still out in the wild. I brought up about ARM, he was interested when I informed him on what Genesi USA's current goal for their EFIKA-MX imx.53 mobo/cpu OEM costs.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 6-Feb-2011 16:40:36
#218 ]

@damocles

"nVidia Tegra 2 3D" is rated around 13 000 MIPS(expected at the end of 2011) vs 8800 MIPS for PA-6T. OK, not fair to directly compare 2 different architectures...

For comparison... Intel's i7 i980EE 147,600 MIPS

vox 
Posted on 6-Feb-2011 16:41:55
#219 ]
Elite Member

@damocles

Well it would be fair enough to compare SOCCs with e.g. ARMs on integrated boards such as ARM EFIKA and I am not sure about it ...

PowerPC 470
The 470 embedded and customizable core, adhering to the Power ISA v2.05 Book III-E, was designed by IBM together with LSI and implemented in the PowerPC 476FP in 2009.[15] The 476FP core has 32/32 kB L1 cache, dual integer units and a SIMD capable double precision FPU that handles DSP instructions. Emitting 1.6 W at 1.6 GHz on a 45 nm fabrication process. The 9 stage out of order, 5-issue pipeline handles speeds up to 2 GHz, supports the PLB6 bus, up to 1 MB L2 cache and up to 16 cores in SMP configurations.
LSI Axxia ACP3448 - 1.8 GHz, 4× 476FP cores, 512 kB L2 cache per core, 4 MB L3 cache on chip, 2× DDR3 controllers, 2× 10 Gbit Ethernet, 3× PCIe and a variety of network processing engines.[16]

APM 83290 – The first implementations of the Titan core design. Two 1.5 GHz cores with FPU, 512 kB shared L2 cache, DDR2 controller, security engine, multi-channel DMA and I/O engine for gigabit Ethernet, PCIe, USB, RapidIO and/or SATA. It began sampling in October 2009 [1]. The processor is aimed at telecom and control plane applications. It is built using TSMC's 90 nm bulk CMOS fabrication to reduce cost.[2]

And off course, new chips are planned for this year.
http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=32964&forum=33&20

Mamba offers DDR3, frequency scaling, asymmetric multiprocessing, Secure Boot, 2-2Gbps Ethernet, IPv4, IPv6, hardware Power Management.

It`s not too much, but it`s advancement. They say it`s just the beginning.

They might do better then 440 used in first SAM, have no doubts about that.

The major blow of PPC is not hardware like you try to show off
(altough it is most expensive because of pro military industrial use which is also
demanding) but lack of desktop software. However YDL is usable as any Linux distro and AmigaOS is slowly growing to a fully usable OS in today standards, compared to its humble beggining of AmigaOS 3.1 PPC port.

vox 
Posted on 6-Feb-2011 16:44:39
#220 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon

As told, waste of money in all 3 cases unless you are a real pro.

The guys that loves the numbers, but 2D Windows and Linux
run just the same. Neither today systems are just CPU based.
GFX card, a lot of RAM and fast net are much benefitial for Windows, gaming
and even Linux exp.

Off course, no doubt Intel is the tech leader, while AMD offers better price/performance. Then goes the cheap really cheap ARM and out of desktop PPC (beside YDL and AmigaOS).

I mean, most of the things I want today I can do from Android phone.
Donºt you agree?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle