Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
18 crawler(s) on-line.
 95 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  23 mins ago
 VooDoo:  28 mins ago
 pixie:  39 mins ago
 Hammer:  44 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  1 hr 2 mins ago
 amigang:  1 hr 28 mins ago
 ppcamiga1:  1 hr 51 mins ago
 kriz:  1 hr 55 mins ago
 Hypex:  2 hrs 23 mins ago
 cdimauro:  2 hrs 26 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga News & Events
      /  Amiwest 2012
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
PosterThread
eliyahu 
Re: Amiwest 2012
Posted on 21-Oct-2012 17:14:15
#381 ]

@thread

since there are a bunch of points here from folks trying to divine what was said yesterday based on the streams -- i thought a few clarifications might be in order:

1. on the issue of the streaming: bill bosari has an amazingly cool, amiga video toaster-based setup that he uses. the quality issues this year were almost exclusively down to the woeful hotel network. it has been genuinely horrible. he works very hard on this, and it's a darn shame to be let down by infrastructure beyond the show's control.

2. on the matter of the netbook: no, there was no news -- at least so far. it is very clear that steve would like to talk more about what is going on 'behind the scenes,' but hyperion management has decided to remain quiet, so he can't talk about it. there is news on that front, and a bunch of others, by the way -- but he can't talk about them. so he decided to try and gain feedback from the audience on what features were important to them. yeah, i think folks would have liked some real news, but releasing it isn't in steve's control.

3. on the matter of attendance: there have been a bunch of people at the show this year, including more walk-in traffic from ex-amigans than has been seen in some time. an informal count by me over the day yesterday gets show numbers over 80+ unique people. the number of people in the room varied between 30 and 50 at any given moment. we'll have new folks today, too. not as big as 2010 to be sure, but around the same size as last year which is incredible considering the condition of the hotel.

4. on the 'hyperion won't share their toys nonsense:' that comment was made specifically in answer to a question as to whether hyperion would share the exec code changes necessary to support multiple cores. steve's point was that such work has been funded with real dollars and that, since hyperion is a commercial concern like any other, before it would be opened up, they would have to understand how doing so would earn them at least some return on investment. that's all. try not to take things out of context, guys.

i would encourage those of you on this side of the pond to attend next year if you can, rather than rely on the streaming. it's great fun and the show is returning to a much nicer location next year. i'll be penning a nice sum-up article on the show for intuitionbase on my way back home tomorrow, so hopefully you can have a place to get all of the news as it actually happened rather than through the prism of some raving nutter on moo.

-- eliyahu

Profile     Report this post  
Spectre660 
Posted on 21-Oct-2012 17:58:23
#382 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

Did I hear Steve Sollie say that OpenCL was on the radar . ?

wawa 
Posted on 21-Oct-2012 18:13:22
#383 ]
Elite Member

no chance to get any further info as it seems:
Bandwidth Limit Exceeded

Spectre660 
Posted on 21-Oct-2012 18:19:59
#384 ]
Elite Member

@Nagasakee

Nobody will say anything much about ongoing projects anymore. creates too many Vaporware threads like this classic one

http://pfa.amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?forum=33&topic_id=30844&post_id=540712

The current or 3rd batch of X1000's may be the last as the cpu for it now costs US900.00.
A-eon are working on future hardware and other projects.

Quote:

Nagasakee wrote:
@thread

I'm disappointed that there was nothing on the netbook, I fully expected at best a demo of it, and at minimum some significant milestone announcement at Amiwest.

Was there any update on 4.2? Did they mention any more X1000's being built? From the very little I've seen on the forums, they may have implied no more NG Amigas? That of course may be false.

Is anyone preparing a full and objective write-up on the "news" of the show? The photgraphs have been excellent, wish there was more of a good summary that what was on Moo Bunny.

The photographs also show very weak attendance. Honestly I was surprised and not in a good way.

Last edited by Spectre660 on 21-Oct-2012 at 06:21 PM.

Comi 
Posted on 21-Oct-2012 18:35:07
#385 ]
Cult Member

I hope that more news will come on Pianeta 2012..especially from A Cube
Don't get me wrong but I am very disappointed with news from Hyperion and lead programer SSollie.
No netbook, no news about it.... I'am wondering what people ask him on presentation if not about the netbook..
Is there any youtube movie like last year?

eliyahu 
Posted on 21-Oct-2012 18:35:33
#386 ]

@wawa

that should just be amiwest.net; the streaming should still work. thanks for the heads up. i'll check on it now.

-- eliyahu

eliyahu 
Posted on 21-Oct-2012 18:38:51
#387 ]

@Comi

Quote:
I hope that more news will come on Pianeta 2012..especially from A Cube
Don't get me wrong but I am very disappointed with news from Hyperion and lead programer SSollie.
No netbook, no news about it.... I'am wondering what people ask him on presentation if not about the netbook..
Is there any youtube movie like last year?

many of us did ask, and i think it was clear that he'd like to be able to talk about it. but based on previous machines and marketing and the complaints and the whining it looks like current hyperion policy is not to comment until it ships. again, the lack of news isn't because there isn't any or because steve didn't want to talk about it -- the restriction on releasing news is due to the wishes of hyperion management.

who knows? maybe we'll get news today, but i wouldn't bank on it.

-- eliyahu

wawa 
Posted on 21-Oct-2012 18:44:07
#388 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

Quote:
the restriction on releasing news is due to the wishes of hyperion management.

so you expect, that if they in fact would have very encouraging breaking news they would similarly refrain from making them public? rather that allowing the simpler assumption, that there is actually nothing to tell?

remember, it was gonna be a "loud show" according to the development lead."haha".

Last edited by wawa on 21-Oct-2012 at 06:44 PM.

Comi 
Posted on 21-Oct-2012 18:46:14
#389 ]
Cult Member

@eliyahu

Current Hyperion policy is strange...If not today/Amiwest i dont se better time for spreading the news..
What is the purpouse of attending to show?

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 21-Oct-2012 18:51:57
#390 ]

@Comi

Apparently, to eat, drink, see Steven Solie tell a few jokes and witness a few games crashing :D

wawa 
Posted on 21-Oct-2012 18:53:26
#391 ]
Elite Member

@Comi

Quote:

has anyone from hyperion attended the show at all? i think some unofficial contributor ("im not a hyperion employee"???) claiming position of "development lead" has shown up, and thats it. so as apparently none form hyperion was there, there cannot be news from them consequently.

billt 
Posted on 21-Oct-2012 18:54:15
#392 ]
Elite Member

@Comi

Quote:

programming seminar? that's what would have been my reason if i could have gone.

Comi 
Posted on 21-Oct-2012 19:02:25
#393 ]
Cult Member

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:
Apparently, to eat, drink, see Steven Solie tell a few jokes and witness a few games crashing :D

+1

eliyahu 
Posted on 21-Oct-2012 19:14:08
#394 ]

@Comi

Quote:
Current Hyperion policy is strange...If not today/Amiwest i dont se better time for spreading the news..

i don't agree with the policy either, but i understand it. no matter what they do, they get slammed; so based on their experience with other recent product introductions, this was the decision they made. i don't like it, but hey, that's what we have.

as for attending the show, there are tons of reasons. one is the social aspect: i can't tell you how enjoyable it is to get together and talk amiga with tens of amigans from all around the world. we usually have trevor, matthew, and steve here, so you learn things from the source that you might not otherwise and you also discover how much nicer amigans are when away from the forums.

another reason is the news: we learned a bunch of things this year, including news on two systems coming from A-EON; news on 3D drivers for radeonHD cards on OS4.1 (so we don't have to wait for OS4.2); the fact that someone is actively working on bringing libreoffice to our platform. we also get to play with pre-release software and hardware, such as development builds of morphOS, new AROS environments like the raspberry pi, codebench, and more.

and lastly because it is a blast. you learn about software you didn't know existed, you have late-night conversations with folks just like your university days, you drink porters and ales with great folks. it's a very nice show. you can buy stuff from amigakit and other vendors, play classic games on every amiga machine that ever shipped, and more.

i highly recommend coming and joining the crowd next year if you're able.

-- eliyahu

cgutjahr 
Posted on 21-Oct-2012 19:17:35
#395 ]
Cult Member

@eliyahu

Quote:

looks like current hyperion policy is not to comment until it ships.

They didn't ship anything at AmiWest, and yet Solie talked for about 40 minutes. So current Hyperion policy is obviously not to shut up until something ships.

Quote:

the restriction on releasing news is due to the wishes of hyperion management.

Then why announce an "AmigaOS roadmap" presentation at all? I appreciate Steve's efforts to drum up some support, but does it have to include rapings of innocent little nouns? ("Roadmap"? seriously?)

joeled 
Posted on 21-Oct-2012 19:17:38
#396 ]
Cult Member

@eliyahu

Quote:
the fact that someone is actively working on bringing libreoffice to our platform.

Do you know who is working on it? Will we be able to follow the progress?

eliyahu 
Posted on 21-Oct-2012 19:21:35
#397 ]

@cgutjahr

Quote:
They didn't ship anything at AmiWest, and yet Solie talked for about 40 minutes. So current Hyperion policy is obviously not to shut up until something ships.

... why announce an "AmigaOS roadmap" presentation at all? I appreciate Steve's efforts to drum up some support, but does it have to include rapings of innocent little nouns? ("Roadmap"? seriously?)

i'm not sure. i think he was hoping to review the items that are already on the roadmap and find out from the audience what their priorities would be. we all assumed there would be news since there usually is at the show, but there just wasn't anything talked about publicly.

by the way some of the sniping in this thread is one of the given reasons why they're keeping their cards close to the chest. whether or not one thinks that is a valid reason is another thing, but that's one of the reasons given.

-- eliyahu

eliyahu 
Posted on 21-Oct-2012 19:23:03
#398 ]

@joeled

Quote:
Do you know who is working on it? Will we be able to follow the progress?

if i recall correctly thomas frieden is working on it, but don't quote me on that one. he has already built all of the dependencies, which for libreoffice, is no small task. i'm sure A-EON will have a press release at some point if they haven't already.

-- eliyahu

ddni 
Posted on 21-Oct-2012 20:00:37
#399 ]
Cult Member

http://stream.ziaspace.com:8000/;stream.nsv

Watching something on MPlayer. Is it live? Anyone get sound?

Fred_AROS 
Posted on 21-Oct-2012 20:18:29
#400 ]

@ddni

Mplayer refuses to play it on my µA1 right now

Playing fine on my Notebook with VLC and WITH sound .... dunno if it´s live

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle