Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
23 crawler(s) on-line.
 55 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Frank:  9 mins ago
 fingus:  13 mins ago
 VooDoo:  24 mins ago
 Vidar:  24 mins ago
 Karlos:  41 mins ago
 Marcian:  42 mins ago
 zipper:  50 mins ago
 clint:  51 mins ago
 AmigaPapst:  1 hr ago
 OlafS25:  2 hrs 6 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  Trevor's Amiga Blog
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 Next Page )
PosterThread
Srtest 
Re: Trevor's Amiga Blog
Posted on 20-Sep-2017 14:11:46
#1001 ]

@andres

While I do agree with the word war and of course I appreciate the very nice blog post, I think something important is missing here.

Where I come from there is a saying, that if the argument is "for the sky" (which means - for god), then you should follow through with it in the face of adversity. If the purpose of the argument is for your own ego or benefit than you should stop.

I don't think that the amiga conflict is about money but rather people who think they know the amiga's right direction and consider themselves the ones who will finally rescue the amiga from the clutches of all those bad people and finally allow it to shine.

I think that this is exactly the point - they all make a sort of war of principle without seeing the playground or worse - the battlefield or what's left of it. The real issue that is worth pursuing in the face of adversity is to end this war in the benefit of amigaland and all its residents.

Last edited by Srtest on 20-Sep-2017 at 02:15 PM.
Last edited by Srtest on 20-Sep-2017 at 02:14 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
Srtest 
Posted on 20-Sep-2017 14:42:44
#1002 ]

@all

To everyone involved either developers, users or Trevor (), it is the time of the year when it's the Jewish new year so have a honey flavored year (an old tradition of ours) and let's hope for a peaceful year in amigaland where we get together and contribute our part in getting the platform to its rightful place. As a user I want to tell every contributer - thank you and your work is very much appreciated. You make me smile.

BigD 
Posted on 20-Sep-2017 15:43:36
#1003 ]
Elite Member

@Srtest

The Jewish new year? I've heard it all You still use the western calendar though do you? This year it's 2017 anno Domini (AD), do we agree?

Back to the Christian year system: we surely don't have to wait until January to expect the A.L.I.C.E. or the P5040 surely? The Tabor is anyones guess. Shalom

I can't pretend to know much about Jewish culture as most traditional hat and beard dressed in black suits Jews that you see at train stations and in big cities are quite unapproachable and the whole Jewish culture comedian thing that the U.S. has doesn't really exist in the UK. It's a bit weird to be honest as there must be a compareable number of Jews to Muslims in the UK but culturally Islam has a far higher profile (not always for the right reasons ) No excuse for ignorance I know but I find the Messianic Jews quite inspiring. It must be hard to be a Christian in Israel

pavlor 
Posted on 20-Sep-2017 15:57:45
#1004 ]
Elite Member

@AdvancedFollower

Quote:
I think he said "early next year" in one interview on Youtube.

No way. Tabor MUST be released this year. I really don´t want to lose monthly supply of chocolate...

And of course...

Welcome!

pavlor 
Posted on 20-Sep-2017 16:00:37
#1005 ]
Elite Member

@Srtest

Happy New Year!

eliyahu 
Posted on 20-Sep-2017 16:22:45
#1006 ]

@Srtest

!כתיבה וחתימה טובה

-- eliyahu

BoingBear 
Posted on 20-Sep-2017 16:27:46
#1007 ]

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:
@Srtest

The Jewish new year? I've heard it all You still use the western calendar though do you? This year it's 2017 anno Domini (AD), do we agree?.................................. No excuse for ignorance I know but I find the Messianic Jews quite inspiring. It must be hard to be a Christian in Israel

I'm not even Jewish, and I think that the above quote is very inappropriate and more than a bit offensive! Who cares what calendar Srtest uses, and who are you to question it, or what New Year holiday he chooses to celebrate? Your lame attempt to water down the first part of your post is not an acceptable excuse for bringing it up in the first place.

This is a computer forum, can we please leave all religious comments outside?

Edit: Happy New Year Srtest & Eliyahu and any other members here of the Jewish religion.

Last edited by BoingBear on 20-Sep-2017 at 04:29 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 20-Sep-2017 16:36:52
#1008 ]
Elite Member

HNY! ;)

outrun1978 
Posted on 20-Sep-2017 17:47:44
#1009 ]
Cult Member

@BigD

Quote:
I can't pretend to know much about Jewish culture as most traditional hat and beard dressed in black suits Jews that you see at train stations and in big cities are quite unapproachable and the whole Jewish culture comedian thing that the U.S. has doesn't really exist in the UK. I

The dudes dressed in black are the Ultra Orthodox Hasidic Jews and far from being unapproachable they also clearly have a sense of humour too as a lot of them occupy an area of North London (Stamford Hill) where one of the roads is called West Bank.

BigD 
Posted on 20-Sep-2017 18:23:21
#1010 ]
Elite Member

@BoingBear

Quote:
This is a computer forum, can we please leave all religious comments outside?

You might think that all public discussion mentioning religion should be banned but last time I checked you're not a moderator never mind the thought police from 1984!

I'll assume you're an ultra sensitive 'millenial' so I'll give you a pass on this occasion. Just crawl back to your 'safe space' and keep chanting, "everyone agrees with me, everyone agrees with me ...." until you feel that everything is alright with the world again

... and for all your politically correct sentiments towards the Jewish Calendar, I bet you'd be the first to demand the replacement of BC and AD with CE and BCE terms because you find it distasteful to pay lip service to Jesus Christ

Last edited by BigD on 20-Sep-2017 at 06:37 PM.

BigD 
Posted on 20-Sep-2017 18:33:14
#1011 ]
Elite Member

@outrun1978

Quote:
The dudes dressed in black are the Ultra Orthodox Hasidic Jews and far from being unapproachable they also clearly have a sense of humour too as a lot of them occupy an area of North London (Stamford Hill) where one of the roads is called West Bank.

Now that IS funny! As I say, no offence meant but I know very little about their culture to the extent that a lot of U.S. film references go straight over my head! When I hear a mention of Hanukkah, I immediately think of the holiday armadillo from the TV show 'Friends'! A ridiculous image but again quite funny!

simplex 
Posted on 20-Sep-2017 19:56:18
#1012 ]
Cult Member

@BigD

Quote:
... and for all your politically correct sentiments towards the Jewish Calendar, I bet you'd be the first to demand the replacement of BC and AD with CE and BCE terms because you find it distasteful to pay lip service to Jesus Christ

I don't have any problem paying service to Jesus Christ, never mind lip service. I actually write "Anno Domini" on some of my letters. Dig back far enough in my comment history and you'll find that I have commented on that in the past. Matter of fact, I quit visiting this board for a while to wean myself off that habit.

That said, I still found your post tactless. (Not tasteless. Tactless.) If you want to avoid embarrassing yourself in front of others, and giving yet more opportunity for unbelievers to mock our Lord, try reading up on something you've not heard of before, rather than asking incredulously about it.

Since you seem to need help with something so basic: The Jewish calendar is older than the Gregorian calendar (the AD/BC one) and dates from its institution in our Old Testament. You might want to bone up sometime what Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy have to say about the marking of months and years. Hint: contrary to popular misconception, the Easter celebration is not scheduled to match a pagan celebration, but to approximate Passover: in pretty much every language except English, it's called Pascha or Pasqua or πασχα or пасха or... all of which approximate the Hebrew Pesach, or Passover -- and a lot of "old-style" English uses the word "Pasch" for Easter. Passover, of course, is likewise not based on pagan ritual, but is a memorial of the Exodus commanded by God himself, and the rituals for Exodus are prescribed in...

Well, you can probably finish the line of reasoning. Or you could just keep on, you know, embarrassing yourself, and making us Christians look like buffoons.

Your choice.

Last edited by simplex on 20-Sep-2017 at 07:59 PM.

Tomppeli 
Posted on 20-Sep-2017 21:39:17
#1013 ]

@Srtest

Quote:
I don't think that the amiga conflict is about money but rather people who think they know the amiga's right direction and consider themselves the ones who will finally rescue the amiga from the clutches of all those bad people and finally allow it to shine.

Our community suffers for several syndromes and that one is one of them.

BigD 
Posted on 21-Sep-2017 8:37:17
#1014 ]
Elite Member

@simplex

Quote:
Well, you can probably finish the line of reasoning. Or you could just keep on, you know, embarrassing yourself, and making us Christians look like buffoons.

Just because I have a gap in my cultural understanding of Jewish dating conventions it goesn't require a politically correct back lash from you. Sling the other one It's obviously an older dating convention since Jesus was born 2,000 years ago and his life was written about in the New Testament which is newer than the Old Testament! Since Jews failed to acknowledge the coming of the Messiah (since they were waiting for a hero to "save them" from the Roman Empire) I was wondering whether THEY can bring themselves to use BC/AD? It's a fair question and I've no intention of buying a book on Jewish customs to find out!

The biggest reason Christians come accross as buffons is because Christians ring out the fact that, "Jesus loves you man" without explaining why or why we even need forgiveness and then slot back into a post-modernistic world view where Christianity is just one of the choices on offer and whatever one you pick ultimately the key is to try and be a good person!!!!! That's the killer lie!

We can't live up to the perfect life Jesus led, we have no hope without him and Hasidic Jews need him as much as any other person! Paying lip service to their unique dating system when the reason they don't use ours is the rejection of Christ seems like a pretty buffoon like response from a 'Christian'! Perhaps you can't see the big picture and Christianity in your eyes is just loving people where they are at WITHOUT pointing them to a need for Jesus? Is the summary then; they're without hope but at least they have their unique culture?

Last edited by BigD on 21-Sep-2017 at 08:38 AM.

BigD 
Posted on 21-Sep-2017 8:53:47
#1015 ]
Elite Member

@simplex

Wiki Quote

Quote:
This is an almanac-like listing of major Jewish holidays from 2000 to 2050. All Jewish holidays begin at sundown on the evening before the date shown. On holidays marked "*", Jews are not permitted to work. Because the Hebrew calendar is governed by precise mathematical rules and no longer relies at all on observation, it is possible to state what day the holidays will fall on for any date in the foreseeable future.

That's great but again excuse my ignorance but I honestly didn't know the Hebrew calendar was still used just as I have very little understanding of the Jewish holidays except Passover or Pesach as it is called in Hebrew.

From Wiki

Quote:
Jewish holidays
Rosh Hashanah* (also following day)
Yom Kippur*
Sukkot*[1] (first of seven days)
Shemini Atzeret*
Simchat Torah*[2]
Hanukkah (first of eight days)
Tu Bishvat
Purim
Yom HaAliyah
Pesach*[3] (first of seven days, or eight in some traditions)
Yom Ha'Shoah[4]
Yom Ha'atzmaut
Lag Ba'omer
Shavuot* (Shavuot lasts two days in some traditions)
Tisha B'Av

Good luck to them! We all like an excuse for a party but don't expect me to take an active interest in all this Jewish culture beyond a Christian understanding of the background and customs to help me interpret the scriptures and the meanings of some of Jesus' parables.

Last edited by BigD on 21-Sep-2017 at 08:54 AM.

Daedalus 
Posted on 21-Sep-2017 9:36:11
#1016 ]

@BigD

Quote:

BigD wrote:

The biggest reason Christians come accross as buffons

I mean, you leave yourself so open to ridicule with even that part of your comment it's not funny. But hey, I'll leave it be because it's a computer forum and not the place for religious discussion.

Trixie 
Posted on 21-Sep-2017 9:43:00
#1017 ]
Amiga Developer Team

Back on topic, please.

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

Signman 
Posted on 21-Sep-2017 13:01:06
#1018 ]

@Trixie

Looky here, some opinions and observations made and no harm done.
But yes, off topic.

Srtest 
Posted on 21-Sep-2017 21:06:26
#1019 ]

Well, when I wrote that blessing I thought you can't get any more neutral than that... man was I wrong! the world has gone mad. You can't just take a simple blessing whatever you are and whatever you believe or if you believe?

I came here after the holliday and wow...

So for those who didn't understand (and might require a therapist). I'm not a religious jewish person living in Israel. You know who are my neighbours? one religious jewish family from Chabad (look it up - they are the dancing and singing religiuos jews) and another are those serious ultra orthodox-type family. Both are very good neighbours. You know who else is down the street? religious Muslim arabs and ethiopoean jews - religious and non-religious jews. Actually the non-religious part is not defined so well - some call themselves secular while others traditionalists. That is my neibourhood in my small town. Is it easy? no, not always, much in part to big time politics of the area and the powers that support those politics. The day-to-day lives are what they are and in the afternoon on the playground you have kids of all colors, ethnicities and religions playing. Sometimes together, sometimes apart. That is not because of big ideals but the community and the way we live.

The non-religious person views something like the ancient prophecies and the ancient prophets as men of ideals. Viewing the prophecies as they are is some heavy fundamental stuff. That said, I have a lot of respect for the religious people here who dedicate themselves to the study of texts and raise their families in humility.

Because all of us have feelings stemming from the culture inherited and made our own, we try to find a middle ground. That is the dipping of an apple in honey to signify a sweet beginning so maybe the year won't turn sour or bitter. Once upon a time (if you believe) the new year began on what is today called Passover - which means on spring (according to beliefs and ancient texts), but was changed to make more sense because in jewish traditions the autumn represents a beginning and spring a turn around and change. I like those traditions and they mean something for me in the people's sort of way, not those of big ideas and institutions and I wish it on all of our communities.

@all

I wasn't offended, just sorry for the hijacking. This specific post and comments coming from Trevor's blog feel like special occasions in amigaland so I thought why not add a blessing when it is that time of the year for us here. Sorry, Trevor.

@BigD

Maybe before you see yourself as belonging to any religion and/or people you should consider yourself a person that tries to better understand what is written in simple sentences by a non-native english speaker: "it is the time of the year when it's the Jewish new year so have a honey flavored year" => you see? "hat time of the year means 2017 so you can rest easy I wasn't disregarding anything only in your mind (that can be a litlle less extreme as a non-religious mind can be just as a religious one).

@eliyahu

As always, Toda Raba for the support and never hide it. Note to mad people: his name is that of the prophet but I guess he won't go up in a blaze of glory. However if this posting could deteriorate based on nothing maybe he will! Amiga makes it possible?! talking about some serious first encounter stuff here

Last edited by Srtest on 21-Sep-2017 at 09:09 PM.
Last edited by Srtest on 21-Sep-2017 at 09:08 PM.

SACC-dude 
Posted on 21-Sep-2017 22:02:14
#1020 ]

@Srtest

One reason I like Trevor's Blog is that it's all inclusive!

Any and all amigans invited

therefore

La Shana Tova

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle