Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 123 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 cncparts:  1 hr 24 mins ago
 saipaman4366:  2 hrs 10 mins ago
 Beajar:  2 hrs 29 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 31 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  3 hrs 34 mins ago
 agami:  3 hrs 35 mins ago
 RobertB:  3 hrs 54 mins ago
 OlafS25:  4 hrs 44 mins ago
 Bruce72:  4 hrs 46 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  5 hrs 33 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  Windows 8
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
Franko 
Re: Windows 8
Posted on 19-Dec-2012 19:41:18
#101 ]
Elite Member

@Nibunnoichi

Quote:

Nibunnoichi wrote:
@Franko

So, trying to give an objective look at things means that i'm a defender of something other than common sense?

???

Sorry didn't realise you can't understand English, I simply asked you a question on why I presume you use Widows...

I never said you weren't giving an objective view nor did I say you were defending anything... strange how you can write in English rather well but can't seem to read it...

Oh well, I only asked...

Profile     Report this post  
Overflow 
Posted on 19-Dec-2012 20:24:17
#102 ]

@Franko

You know Franko; a few weeks back it was suggested that you have a tendency to "belittle" people.

Your reply above is one example. Im sure you dont see it that way tho.

Franko 
Posted on 19-Dec-2012 21:03:55
#103 ]
Elite Member

@Overflow

Quote:

Overflow wrote:
@Franko

You know Franko; a few weeks back it was suggested that you have a tendency to "belittle" people.

Your reply above is one example. Im sure you dont see it that way tho.

Sigh... for your information as it's obvious you cant understand much either...

I simply asked a question to someone and genuinely wanted to hear their answer to it...

Instead i got a reply that seemed to deliberately avoid the question...

I'm pretty certain the person whom I asked the question too understands English perfectly well but when out of their way to pretend they didn't...

Now what that has got to do with you I don't know, so please don't tell me i'm trying to belittle someone or try and make out that I am when I'm not...

Your comment is an example of someone reading things into something that simply isn't even there and I can only assume it's based on you own way of behaviour, so please don't tarnish me with the same values you have...

jkirk 
Posted on 20-Dec-2012 15:22:35
#104 ]
Elite Member

@Franko

Quote:
Now what that has got to do with you I don't know

he was just letting you know that your writing style has an abrasive feel.
examples from the previous one.
Quote:
Sigh... for your information as it's obvious you cant understand much either.
Quote:
I can only assume it's based on you own way of behaviour, so please don't tarnish me with the same values you have...

there are ways of saying that without being abrasive.

but back to the subject
i use windows. i started after my a500 reached the limit of usefulness and used win 98. versions used since then was

98SE,ME,NT(at work),2000(at work),XP, win7(beta,RC,and home premium), and win8 (dev preview,RC)

I am not a fan of the win8 interface but the interface was not designed for desktops. They threw in a kluge to make it work but it is not efficient at all. instead it was designed for touch screens(newer laptops have touch capabilities.) I believe microsoft does not want the desktop market anymore now that phones/tablets/xbox is taking off sales wise. i would wait for sp1 but from what i understand they might just skip to windows9 and forego any major service patches.

If i could still use the same games/apps as on the win platform i would use linux almost exclusively i run freenas and linux mint on two systems currently. I have tried on several occasions but i always have one thing i have to go back to windows for. With steam coming to linux i may be on the verge of cutting that cord(even though steam already works on wine more or less.) Now i need a decent version of the usenext app and i will be golden.

Last edited by jkirk on 20-Dec-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Last edited by jkirk on 20-Dec-2012 at 03:22 PM.

Win•dows: n. A thirty-two bit extension and graphical shell to a sixteen-bit patch to an eight-bit operating system originally coded for a four-bit microprocessor which was written by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.

Nibunnoichi 
Posted on 20-Dec-2012 16:00:34
#105 ]
Cult Member

@Franko

Quote:

I never said you weren't giving an objective view nor did I say you were defending anything...

Your use of the word "supporter" made me think you were considering me some sort of an MS/WIN evangelist, which i'm not.
Of course i use Windows, beside the Amiga and a plethora of other different OSes and architectures. I'm a developer and i'm not a fanatic of some particular OS or programming language, so i choose whatever i think best suits the needs at hand for a particular job or in some casese what the customer specifically asks.
Of course i'm an Amigan since the beginning, but this doesn't prevent me to appreciate something else too or to acknowledge merits.
On the other hand, it seems that some people are still stuck in the past when we used to bash "Micro$oft" just for the fun of it and playing silly gamese where you had to shoot Bill Gates... i thought this behaviour was now a prerogative of Linux fanatics but maybe i was wrong.
Funny how we once were proud of being ahead of the times and now we think that those who try to innovate and have the guts to break some rules, are idiots

Last edited by Nibunnoichi on 20-Dec-2012 at 04:02 PM.

Franko 
Posted on 20-Dec-2012 17:16:02
#106 ]
Elite Member

@Nibunnoichi

Thanks for the answer, it's just something I tend to ask Amiga users whom if they happen to mention they now use Windows or Mac OSX instead of the Amiga now as to why they do ...

About 60% (maybe 65%) say mainly it's because they use them at work or a part of their education and they require them for use with those, while the rest tend to tell me it's simply because the Amiga just isn't powerful enough for their uses any more and there's the small problem of you can only buy old second hand ones...

Myself, I really couldn't care for Windows, OSX, Linux or any other OS for that matter and every, it's not about bashing any of them and it's certainly not being "stuck in the past", to me the Amigas OS is simply the most elegant, efficient, user friendly, configurable and powerful (for it size & tiny use of resources) that there has even been, and nothing since even comes close to comparing with it...

I've never really thought about shooting Bill Gates, all he is doing is taking advantage of a situation and making a lot of money out of it, I'd rather shoot Medhi Ali for being the main reason why Commodore folded in the first place...

PS: the word supporter to me simply means that... ie: someone whom supports something, nothing more than that...

PPS: I can well be classed as a "Fanatic" of the Amiga & it's OS but it's not something I find offensive or take as an insult, in fact I'd be quite happy to be thought of as an Amiga fanatic...

DC_Edge 
Posted on 20-Dec-2012 17:47:12
#107 ]

@Franko

Quote:
Just curious here... You're obviously a Windows/ Microsoft user/ supporter judging from various comments you made in the past, just wanted to ask if you are (with me never having been a fan of any OS Microsoft have ever made)...

This seems a really good question.

Besides not targetted to me, I would like to argue on that one.

I was a big amiga "enthousiast" some years ago. I passed all my technician exams while coding and making reports on my a1200, all colleagues were working on windows 95 machines (I remember those colleagues reinstalling win95 every two weeks because all they were trying to achieve/hack was resulting in a complete reinstall, because the whole shit would not launch again after restart). I don't remember i had to reinstall amigaos on my machines....

Then came university, were I was the only guy who owned an amiga once again. One day, the "pascal language teacher" offered me an old win95 machine that belonged to the university "because you need to be in the good way, not loosers one" he told me. I refused that machine at that time. That was stupid, because my A1200 died some weeks after.
Then my father told me "son, I will buy you another computer, but this will be a PC machine, because when you will be graduated, you'll have to deal with windows, not amiga computers, he said". So I got an IBM branded pc machine, coming along with windows XP.

I then discovered that pc games were better at that time (i discovered blizzard warcraft, then starcraft, kind of games I couldn't find on amiga).

I was at that time writing code with microsoft visual studio, learning MFC stuff, and the windows way to code. I was lost, all this was really complex, while writing code for amiga platform was something I could learn alone when I was around 13 years old. Learning windows phylosophy was really a pain for me (I do nether really managed in fact).

Then I finished my studies and entered the "serious world", thanks to my father, with some knowledge of windows systems.

I came back to amiga many times, but could not find the feeling I had years ago, all seems old and outdated, slow, I must spend hours to achieve something my skills/existant software library can do on windoze machines in a couple of seconds (exemple: edit a pdf, develop a proto with some L5G/L4G tool).
As a gamer also, I could not find new things to play with on amiga also....

There is not a single week in my life I'm telling me "what a bad os is windows", or "what an anormous peace of shit is required just to launch the computer", or "what a nonsense to spend all that time reinstalling computers that I could relaunch myself if not all things were screw in the windows registry".

I then tried linux. That is the worst "recent" os I ever had in my hands. You never find the driver you want, this never works, or you'll have to recompile, but the makefile doesn't work, or you need to download many libs and recompile them (with again some problems with makefiles), then you passed 2 weeks doing the whole stuff, then you boot and have a kernel panic, you cannot deal with, and hat ends you must reinstall that bad peace of hyppies code. then someone tells you to try another linux distro who finaly solves two problems but brings two new problems you don't have with the former linux distro.
That is a nightmare. Learning curve of linux OS is for me the longuest of all oses, so this is not something i want to deal with. One day I tried to setup a linux distro to "train me for a job", in order to build a little server, the machine got two network cards embedded in the motherboard, besides many users tried to solve the same problems on linux forums, no one could make the second network card working....what a peace of shit is that os seriously?

Then I bought a macmini (ppc), and tried macosX. That is an os i hope I would never have my hands on it again soon. You never know where things installs, of if the icon that is on the desktop is the icon of the CD in the machine, or the software installed itself, the os doesn't let the user do excatly what he wants, everything seems "hidden", this is more suspect for me than windows oses. I could never find this os either friendly, nor responsive, nor efficiant, nor good at all.The file browser also is a nonsense for me.

I tryed so many oses, (almost everything that exists). Android also is a big peace of shit.

One month ago, a new third party engineer told me "now linux is better".
I came with my windows machine (only asus peaces of hadware, an intel proc, and a nvidia gfx card, nothing "low cost" or kinda "suspect", and a fresh hard drive.
I asked the guy to install me whatever linux distro he wants and show me everythings works out of the box.
result (ubuntu)
-> no possibility to have a better resolution as 1024*768 with the gfx card....
-> no wifi recognised
-> no bluetooth recognised
-> my wacom gfx tab doesn't work
The next day, after the guy tried many tricky thing showing me he knows a lot a linux commands and manages the "su"/"sudo" ones perfectly, none of those issues were resolved.

I still dream about a day where a good dev team will bring the os that will make me happy/dream, as amigaos done to me years ago.

Actually I choosed to use the most spread os, because it's also the os I'm working with as freelance engineer, this is not because it's the better, it's because it's the one I can do almost all i want with it without spending hours to achieve the thing.
Usually everything works well out of the box, that's all I need.

One day, if amigaos/morphos/aros/anything else comes and let me have all the fun I had and allaws me to deal with almost all situations as windows allows me to do, then I will be one of the first users of this os, and woudl eventually spend all my jobs days on it.

Last edited by DC_Edge on 20-Dec-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Last edited by DC_Edge on 20-Dec-2012 at 05:48 PM.

Kicko 
Posted on 20-Dec-2012 17:48:40
#108 ]
Elite Member

@Franko

I use x1000 as you probably know. In the studio/play room. I have a asus laptop with i5 cpu. What i use the windows system is because the laptop is sitting under my tv and can easy bring it with me when on summer vacation. I dont like having too much devices doing the same thing. My TV is LED but not a smart tv but anyway its limited comparing to using a computer system like windows 7. And i use winuae so i can continue using hd-rec music app when on summer vacation as its 68k. I use it mainly as media machine, torrenting and surfing from the sofa (k750 keyboard from logitech) and ofcourse pages that dont work with owb/timberwolf.

X1000 is mainly music, surfing (i enjoy it more), trying out apps/games, betatesting, editing photos, homepage, etc etc.

Phone is Samsung S3 with android which is magic in the pocket :)

To not go to much offtopic. In one or other way ill get windows8 later. Im in no hurry. Will be probably some kind of laptop with probably touch so i can use it both as touch and normal computing. But it will not be bigger then 13inch. As i will connect it to tv as usual or monitor when needed. Havent played much on win8, not my thing but ill probably get it anyway.

In other words anything but apple :)

Last edited by Kicko on 20-Dec-2012 at 05:50 PM.

RodTerl 
Posted on 20-Dec-2012 18:56:39
#109 ]
Cult Member

Something Im wondering about. Has anyone ever worked on windows, altering its working settings to be as similar to that of AOS, to gte closest equivalent behaviour?

One registry entry mentioned in MicroMart seems to suggest that the Quantum of XP is 400, Whereas that on the out of the box unaccelerated A1200 is 4. This implies that default, an unaccelerated A1200 has almost half a second advantage over XP, no mattr how powerful the XP machine is. So, set A1200 Quantum =1, set XP Quantum,or delay =1?

Next, If you have lots of RAM, XP can support PAE? so 3 Gig, Microsoft have Ram disk. What if you make a 1 Gig Ram disk then assign Swap to it, and it alone?

Dont use USB keyboard, mouse, to avoid the USB polling delays, servicing?

Use three hard drives. One for System, C:, one for Data, torrents, one for Temp, Cache etc?

If the temp and Sys are replaced with say cheap 30 Gig SSDs SATA, the data drive by a huge hard drive for high speed transfer and large cache, what is the maximum improvement in sped you could expect for Windows, over using th standard single C drive does everything, CPU does everything design?

Oh, and a half decent Graphics card with the programs supporting hardware acceleration, that is, get the GPU to do the work, not the CPU.

Then, compare to AOS 4 running on the AX1000?

Which is faster, or more responsive, or for various tasks especially where common programs are available, which is more useable if not really faster?

Then, compare with gigabucks resources, and differences between x64 Windows 8, and ARM Win8RT, alternate platform, for differeing architecture equivalents, how is Microsoft screwing up so badly?

BrianK 
Posted on 20-Dec-2012 20:02:33
#110 ]
Elite Member

@Franko

Quote:
Thanks for the answer, it's just something I tend to ask Amiga users whom if they happen to mention they now use Windows or Mac OSX instead of the Amiga now as to why they do ...
I make my living in IT. Today I have updated software on an IBM iSeries, checked messages on a Windows Phone 7, updated an iPad, created new DNS settings in a Linux, created a document in Windows 7, and am looking at a Mac I hope to get to before the end of the day. Often the work isn't sequential but happening in multiple OSes all at once.

Quote:
I've never really thought about shooting Bill Gates, all he is doing is taking advantage of a situation and making a lot of money out of it, I'd rather shoot Medhi Ali for being the main reason why Commodore folded in the first place...
I used to be anti-Gates. Then I look at the work and use of his wealth versus Steve Jobs. Gates wins in my book. I, personally, have a problem with someone amassing so much wealth. Though seeing them commit to health and lives of people around the world as Gates has done is a compelling story.

DiscreetFX 
Posted on 20-Dec-2012 20:25:05
#111 ]
Elite Member

@Nibunnoichi

"now we think that those who try to innovate and have the guts to break some rules, are idiots"

Adding a 1996 AOL looking interface to an OS and trying to force unsuspecting customers into vendor lock-in is not innovation (Win8).

@DC_Edge

I bet you use XP or Win7, not Win8.

Last edited by DiscreetFX on 20-Dec-2012 at 08:38 PM.

resle 
Posted on 21-Dec-2012 1:42:50
#112 ]
Cult Member

@DiscreetFX

Hey you're losing ground, strengthen that hatred! Live up to your name!

DiscreetFX 
Posted on 21-Dec-2012 3:50:07
#113 ]
Elite Member

@resle

We don't hate anyone. Lots of smart people work at Microsoft.

@BrianK

Gates has done a lot to help poor people, this is true.

Last edited by DiscreetFX on 21-Dec-2012 at 03:53 AM.

DC_Edge 
Posted on 21-Dec-2012 7:26:06
#114 ]

@DiscreetFX

windows 2012 server
windows 2008 server
windows 2003 server

win xp
win 7
AND win8

DiscreetFX 
Posted on 21-Dec-2012 7:48:24
#115 ]
Elite Member

An oldie but still a goodie.

http://www.informationweek.com/windows/operating-systems/windows-8-fizzling-time-for-windows-clas/240142618

Some of the comments are pure gold.

from gfish66

"I hate the whole concept of Windows 8's ridiculous interface being foisted upon corporate desktop users and even into the server products. I have Software Assurance, so I already own the licenses, but I wish there was some way I could show MS that I have not and will not deploy Windows 8 or Server 2012 in their current form, as a matter of protest. If I deployed these at my company, management would probably fire me.

I had Windows phones for years, and truth be told, they were pretty bad. Zero innovation. When Android phones came along, I bought one and never looked back. No way I'm going back.

Windows 8 looks like a dumbed-down version of Windows 2.x. When Microsoft stops innovating, and instead chases the likes of Apple and Google, it's never good. I don't know what is wrong with those people in Redmond. Get a clue."

from moarsauce123

"Metro is just a horrible UI. It looks as if a dog ate a box of crayons and barfed them all up again, plus the utterly annoying and permanently changing live tiles. Metro can be used to induce seizures at best, but as a UI it looks butt ugly and is totally dysfunctional."

Last edited by DiscreetFX on 21-Dec-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Last edited by DiscreetFX on 21-Dec-2012 at 09:17 AM.

Moxee 
Posted on 21-Dec-2012 23:22:46
#116 ]
Team Member

@BrianK

Quote:

I used to be anti-Gates. Then I look at the work and use of his wealth versus Steve Jobs. Gates wins in my book. I, personally, have a problem with someone amassing so much wealth. Though seeing them commit to health and lives of people around the world as Gates has done is a compelling story.

This giving did not come from naturally from Bill Gates. It came about after he got married and from the heart of his wife Melinda. It also helped that Bill was belittled by the lesser billionaires Warren Buffett and Ted Turner for his lack of philanthropy. Being embarressed at every turn I'd say Bill was forced into giving. Eventually with more age and maturity Bill probably would have ended up as he is now. But, let's remember that Bill was a cheap-skate until forced to give.

I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

BrianK 
Posted on 22-Dec-2012 0:05:40
#117 ]
Elite Member

@Moxee

Quote:
This giving did not come from naturally from Bill Gates. It came about after he got married and from the heart of his wife Melinda. It also helped that Bill was belittled by the lesser billionaires Warren Buffett and Ted Turner for his lack of philanthropy. Being embarressed at every turn I'd say Bill was forced into giving. Eventually with more age and maturity Bill probably would have ended up as he is now. But, let's remember that Bill was a cheap-skate until forced to give
I certainly wouldn't discount the impact of peer pressure on the situation. Again if we look at Jobs he didn't cave to peer pressure and remained egocentric and tight with his money. He fought funding his own illegitment daughter, egads. Jobs egocentricism was, literaly, his undoing. Jobs believed he could will away cancer. Turned out the Jobs Reality Cloud was more than a pejorative.

DiscreetFX 
Posted on 22-Dec-2012 0:25:29
#118 ]
Elite Member

@Moxee @BrianK

What you said is so true.

Last edited by DiscreetFX on 22-Dec-2012 at 12:25 AM.

Rose 
Posted on 22-Dec-2012 0:35:22
#119 ]
Cult Member

@Moxee

Quote:

Moxee wrote:
@BrianK

Quote:

This giving did not come from naturally from Bill Gates. It came about after he got married and from the heart of his wife Melinda. It also helped that Bill was belittled by the lesser billionaires Warren Buffett and Ted Turner for his lack of philanthropy. Being embarressed at every turn I'd say Bill was forced into giving. Eventually with more age and maturity Bill probably would have ended up as he is now. But, let's remember that Bill was a cheap-skate until forced to give.

True Amiga answer to belittle what he and his wife has done....

Moxee 
Posted on 22-Dec-2012 2:38:38
#120 ]
Team Member

@Rose

Quote:

True Amiga answer to belittle what he and his wife has done....

True Amiga answer to completely misread what I wrote.

That had everything to do with "before" and nothing to do with "after" he met Melinda.

I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle