Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
16 crawler(s) on-line.
 170 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 A1200:  14 mins ago
 zipper:  15 mins ago
 Matt3k:  20 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  57 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 35 mins ago
 clint:  1 hr 53 mins ago
 OlafS25:  2 hrs 1 min ago
 amigakit:  4 hrs 39 mins ago
 RobertB:  4 hrs 40 mins ago
 bhabbott:  5 hrs 9 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Classic Amiga Hardware
      /  The new Commodore A1200 Reloaded! :-)
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
duga 
Re: Decided! The new Amiga will be called...
Posted on 19-Oct-2016 6:26:52
#81 ]

@TRIPOS

Amen.

Profile     Report this post  
delshay 
Re: The new Commodore A1200 Reloaded!
Posted on 19-Oct-2016 8:59:28
#82 ]

@TRIPOS

I take it, it is just using faster of the same type of Dram, or has this changed to a different type of Memory?

Last edited by delshay on 19-Oct-2016 at 09:01 AM.

Rob 
Posted on 19-Oct-2016 19:16:15
#83 ]
Elite Member

@TRIPOS

I wasn't talking specifically about this thread but your MO when posting here in general.

Chuckt 
Posted on 19-Oct-2016 20:53:05
#84 ]

Where are users supposed to get a processor for this computer?

Why don't they just sell a complete unit instead of someone having to get a case and a processor, etc.?

Rob 
Posted on 19-Oct-2016 23:08:54
#85 ]
Elite Member

@Chuckt

Jen's builds 020 and 030 accelerators cards and Vampire 1200 will also arrive one day.

Maybe some dealers will offer complete systems although obtaining new keyboards could be difficult unless I missed that someone is doing those too.

Not everyone will need a new case either since some customers will be swapping out the old A1200 motherboard in their current system. I myself have a mint condition keyboard and case left over from a tower conversion I sold on years ago. Aside from some testing with a Keyrah, it has seen little use or light.

TRIPOS 
Posted on 20-Oct-2016 0:19:56
#86 ]

@delshay

Quote:

delshay wrote:
@TRIPOS

I take it, it is just using faster of the same type of Dram, or has this changed to a different type of Memory?

I don't think you need special tech to outclock the AGA...

@Chuckt

Quote:

Chuckt wrote:
Where are users supposed to get a processor for this computer?

Why don't they just sell a complete unit instead of someone having to get a case and a processor, etc.?

The Commodore A1200 Reloaded is modular by concept. Don't want USB 2.0? Don't want 100Mbit ethernet? Fine, then you won't have to pay for that. What kind of monitor will you use? Choose the suitable video output (with suitable monitor connectors) accordingly! You also don't have to pay for a 020 CPU you will never use (if going for the 030 option from Individual Comouters or indeed some other A1200 CPU card), but the option of having a very low cost 020 A1200 solution is there as well, if this is what you want.

delshay 
Posted on 20-Oct-2016 0:58:49
#87 ]

@TRIPOS

You are probably right, I never check if the A1200 took full advantage of it on-board memory. I do have a A1200 motherboard which I changed the chip-ram to a faster type 60ns, but never got round to see what I can do with it.

I custom build on own memory, as to tell you the truth I am really kind of picky about my memory.

I have the worlds fastest EDO 128MB (x6) 28ns , but I have been stuck on a new project for a long time now, but it is the worlds fastest DDR.

I really want to get this completed and out of the way so I can start SDRAM then DDR2.

http://www.amiga.org/gallery/index.php?n=3946

Last edited by delshay on 20-Oct-2016 at 01:01 AM.
Last edited by delshay on 20-Oct-2016 at 01:00 AM.

Hypex 
Posted on 20-Oct-2016 14:38:40
#88 ]
Elite Member

@TRIPOS

Quote:
It's all about 68k Amiga/Workbench!

Without RTG that's not very bearable to use these days.

Quote:
Neither PPC, nor OS4 has a place in that "market". This is for Amigans who continued using their Amigas instead of going for the "PPC NG" route some of us did, or for those of us who wants an easy way to return

I can't imagine doing that. I only had an 030 @ 40Mhz in my A1200 a tad over ten years ago when I had to call it. It was just too slow. It didn't have an 040. Nor a fast SCSI controller. And a 64 colour Workbench was still slow as well being severly dated.

I was tempted to get a Mac and had no interest in a PC. So bought an AmigaOne instead!

Quote:
People wanting a real Amiga, but don't mind it being modernized within the defined Amiga/AGA boundaries.

Well that doesn't sound like it is modernised at all. For starters, where is the 32-bit per gun palette, that matches the Commodore API? Accelerated copper? Updated blitter with bitmap warping and 3d ability? Not to mention 16-bit multrack Mary audio. And that damned MIDI port!?

CodeSmith 
Posted on 20-Oct-2016 19:09:36
#89 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

The Amiga Reloaded has RAM that's a lot faster than what we had in the 90s, so Jens was able (probably via some new hardware of his) to add extra DMA slots so that even when showing eight bitplane modes the machine runs at fast RAM speed. I agree that in terms of 3D performance AGA doesn't hold a candle to even the cheapest PCIe Radeon, but then again that's not the point: I don't need OpenGL or any other API to make a cool game on a 68K amiga.

What attracts me the most to 68K is that people on that "camp" have no delusions that their amiga flavor of choice is "the" way to the future and/or that it's going to somehow unseat Apple - they're just happy to use a computer they love, well aware of its strengths and weaknesses. You don't see the ridiculous rivalry and delusions of grandeur in the C64 scene.

AP 
Posted on 20-Oct-2016 20:51:10
#90 ]
Cult Member

@CodeSmith

Quote:

CodeSmith wrote:
@Hypex
What attracts me the most to 68K is that people on that "camp" have no delusions that their amiga flavor of choice is "the" way to the future and/or that it's going to somehow unseat Apple - they're just happy to use a computer they love, well aware of its strengths and weaknesses. You don't see the ridiculous rivalry and delusions of grandeur in the C64 scene.

I don´t see a difference to the C64 scene. The people there love their computer even more as it is. No-one excepts from a C64 to compete with more modern systems. Of course you have always some strange people, but this is valid for all "camps".

Last edited by AP on 20-Oct-2016 at 09:01 PM.
Last edited by AP on 20-Oct-2016 at 08:51 PM.

CodeSmith 
Posted on 22-Oct-2016 5:25:40
#91 ]
Elite Member

@AP

Quote:

AP wrote:
@CodeSmith

Quote:

CodeSmith wrote:
@Hypex

I don´t see a difference to the C64 scene. The people there love their computer even more as it is. No-one excepts from a C64 to compete with more modern systems. Of course you have always some strange people, but this is valid for all "camps".

That's exactly what I'm saying about the 68K Amiga scene - just like they C64 scene, most of them have their feet planted firmly on the ground. Machine was great for its time, still lots of fun to use, but the world has moved on.

Dandy 
Posted on 24-Oct-2016 13:18:39
#92 ]
Elite Member

@TRIPOS

Quote:

TRIPOS wrote:

And people, please don't disrespect those who wants the AGA "limitations"!

I don't disrespect those people, I just can't understand them.

Quote:

TRIPOS wrote:

To some, these are what defines the Amiga they love.

To me, OCS, ECS and AGA are certainly NOT part of what defines the Amiga I love.

To me, OCS, ECS and AGA are definitely video modes that ruined my eyes over the years I used them and using them today borders on committing mayhem.

Quote:

TRIPOS wrote:

Being retro is OK. It's a beauty in itself.

Consciously destroying the own eyesight is not OK and hurts the health insurance - at least here in GER.
I fail to see the "beauty" in it...

Last edited by Dandy on 24-Oct-2016 at 01:20 PM.

Dandy

Beans 
Posted on 24-Oct-2016 13:44:11
#93 ]

@Dandy

Quote:
To me, OCS, ECS and AGA are certainly NOT part of what defines the Amiga I love. To me, OCS, ECS and AGA are definitely video modes that ruined my eyes over the years I used them and using them today borders on committing mayhem.

Hey, you're addressing fanatics.

They LIKE the limitations.
That RTG had 16bit color before the end of development, and that 32 bit color is easily and cheaply available doesn't interest them.
Why? Who tf knows? Its 'retro'?

wawa 
Posted on 24-Oct-2016 14:30:19
#94 ]
Elite Member

@Dandy

Quote:
To me, OCS, ECS and AGA are certainly NOT part of what defines the Amiga I love.

thats your opinion. i really have been fond of a portable computer that hooks up to any tv and plays animations without hassle. i have never had a rtg card in an amiga before the end of the millennium.

Quote:
Consciously destroying the own eyesight is not OK and hurts the health insurance - at least here in GER.

despite it, my eyes were ok only until recently and even now are not thet bad. curious that.

Beans 
Posted on 24-Oct-2016 17:21:27
#95 ]

@wawa

Quote:
i have never had a rtg card in an amiga before the end of the millennium.

Is that the same as saying "I've been using an RTG card in an Amiga for over ten years"?

Hypex 
Posted on 25-Oct-2016 15:15:55
#96 ]
Elite Member

@CodeSmith

It may be faster with 8 bitplanes but will it be fast to use? Will it be as fast as RTG? Sure 256 colours is okay for Workbench use but I'm used to a snappy 24 or 16-bit RTG Workbench now with no dithering.

I don't think we really need any proper or dedicated 3d hardware but I would like to see an updated blitter that can do scaling out of the box as well as being able to warp bitmaps so the blitter can be used to render 3d texture mapped images. Taking that hardware used to blit primitive 3d solids and rendering it to what it should have become.

I see two camps of Amiga people. Those who enjoy the original as it was at the time. And those who wanted to see it continue and enjoyed using the OS, some becoming AmigaOne owners, OS4 being their OS of choice. I tend to be part of both camps at any one time.

The C64 gets lots of expansions. Ethernet. Virtual floppies. Mind you the Amiga has a few floppy emulators but it looks easier to get a C64 on the net with a cartridge just plugged into the back.

Hypex 
Posted on 25-Oct-2016 15:20:52
#97 ]
Elite Member

@Dandy

Quote:
To me, OCS, ECS and AGA are definitely video modes that ruined my eyes over the years I used them and using them today borders on committing mayhem

Well I don't know if low res modes with lower dithered colours can ruin eyesight. But I think using a TV as a monitor like I did for years can. Still in the final days of my A1200/non-RTG I was using a DblPAL 720x576x6 screen on as VGA monitor.

Then my AmigaOne with CRT for a few years unti I got an LCD. My eyes were fine for years. Until I headed for my forties and then went downhill.

TRIPOS 
Posted on 25-Oct-2016 15:46:00
#98 ]

@delshay

Quote:

delshay wrote:
@TRIPOS

You are probably right, I never check if the A1200 took full advantage of it on-board memory. I do have a A1200 motherboard which I changed the chip-ram to a faster type 60ns, but never got round to see what I can do with it.

I custom build on own memory, as to tell you the truth I am really kind of picky about my memory.

I have the worlds fastest EDO 128MB (x6) 28ns , but I have been stuck on a new project for a long time now, but it is the worlds fastest DDR.

I really want to get this completed and out of the way so I can start SDRAM then DDR2.

http://www.amiga.org/gallery/index.php?n=3946

Zylesea 
Posted on 25-Oct-2016 15:47:11
#99 ]
Elite Member

@Hypex

Quote:

Until I headed for my forties and then went downhill.

... and the sub 40ies become rare in amigaland.

Save ECS/AGA - eat carrotts!

Mr_DBUG 
Posted on 25-Oct-2016 16:09:23
#100 ]

I believe this monitor can do Amiga images on 15 khz, I have two myself ..
Besides one for Amiga 1200 I use it for Turbo Chameleon 64.

Its not the best image but its better than a flickery CRT TV. Smooth scroll as far as I can determine.

You need a RGB to VGA adapter, but with that you get even games on it, not just Workbench.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BenQ-BL912-inch-Monitor-1280/dp/B00DZG2IWE

Last edited by Mr_DBUG on 25-Oct-2016 at 04:09 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle