Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
25 crawler(s) on-line.
 152 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  7 mins ago
 Hypex:  29 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  46 mins ago
 saimo:  56 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 OldFart:  1 hr 15 mins ago
 _ThEcRoW:  1 hr 35 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  2 hrs 2 mins ago
 retrofaza:  2 hrs 3 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 3 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Upgrading AmigaOne X1000 with the best/latest Software/Hardware?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
Hypex 
Re: Upgrading AmigaOne X1000 with the best/latest Software/Hardware?
Posted on 23-Apr-2020 16:09:23
#41 ]
Elite Member

@nbache

Quote:
The old updates to earlier editions of OS4.1 are no longer available from the update server. You are expected to have 4.1 Final Edition if you want to use the update server and AmiUpdate.

I wasn't aware of this. I suppose they are obsolete and would just take up space otherwise.

Quote:
You also need to have registered Final Edition on the main Hyperion site and use the same user/password which you login with there as your update server credentials in AmiUpdate.

For some people this is becoming a problem. There are more reports of failed log ins or lately serial numbers failng to register.

Quote:
Correct. But first get and install Final Edition. Then theoretically you could update that with Update1, but there were some problems with the automatic installation of that through AmiUpdate, so it's safer to just fetch Update1 and install it outside of AmiUpdate.

Good I got that server right. I don't recall how I installed Update1 but it is surely there as I have matching component version of a few I checked.

Quote:
BTW, also remember to enter "amiupdate.codebench.co.uk" as secondary server in AmiUpdate in order to get updates for e.g. MUI, AmiSSL and other applications. In the latest versions of AmiUpdate you should also set that server as the one to use for updates to AmiUpdate itself.

Ah, I didn't have that one. Thanks for the update. Err, NPI, no pun intended.

Profile     Report this post  
Hypex 
Posted on 23-Apr-2020 16:36:28
#42 ]
Elite Member

@drHirudo

Quote:
That's why I purchased the module from Amiga retailer. It says in the item name 2 GB Ram for AmigaOne X1000, so it must be supported.

LOL!

Quote:
Shall I remove the 1 GB module installed before, before placing the new 2 GB module?

Amigadave gives good advice here. It's best to have matching modules. And to have them closest to the CPU. If you only have one it's best to also put that closest to CPU. Left or right? I don't recall.

But, while you are at, why not add four 2GB sticks! Max it out to 8GB and break the 32-bit barrier. Linux would surely make use of it and breathe essy. After all, money is no issue, when you own an X1000!

NutsAboutAmiga does make a good point about getting a good compatible brand. Of course you then need the technical info. Four sticks are better than two.

Quote:
Sorry I am not sure I understand. I don't need any heat, but you removed hot glue?

Yes, he's a tough nut, he removed hot glue with his hand!

Last edited by Hypex on 23-Apr-2020 at 04:37 PM.

nbache 
Posted on 23-Apr-2020 21:27:26
#43 ]

@Hypex

Quote:
Yes, he's a tough nut, he removed hot glue with his hand!
Of course, that's nothing compared to what Chuck Norris does. He just looks at it sternly, and it peels itself off and flees in panic.

No, seriously, I have also simply peeled it off with my hands quite easily in my X5000 (I think it was). Of course you have to be careful, also regarding static electricity, but it was quite doable.

Best regards,

Niels

drHirudo 
Posted on 24-Apr-2020 6:05:56
#44 ]

@Hypex

Quote:

Hypex wrote:
@drHirudo

Well it's in some kind of deleting function. Whch helps as it has symbols. Can you email me the keyboard model, crash logs and T:usb.log so I can take a closer look? From my profile. Thanks.

Email with both crashlogs and screenshot sent.

To me it is strange that the Hama Uzanno wireless keyboard/mouse combo works fine, while the direct USB connection crashes! Last I remember the Amiga usually had troubles with Wireless devices, Bluetooth etc..

Another strange event was that after I set up my YAM 2.7 installation to fetch e-mails from gmail with App password, it started downloading the oldest messages and placed them in SPAM. Probably I shall update my YAM client and re-configure it.

Trixie 
Posted on 24-Apr-2020 6:24:31
#45 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@amigadave

Quote:
having just purchased the latest upgrades to both Hollywood and Designer, I'm ready to get more serious about learning how to program using them both.

My copy of Hollywood Designer 5 arrived yesterday (I went for the CD version because I love collectibles), and I spent much of last night playing with it. I was able to make a simple slide presentation without much peeking in the manual; I'll continue exploring its potential later today. I'm quite impressed so far: very stable and user friendly. Money well spent!

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

drHirudo 
Posted on 24-Apr-2020 6:25:08
#46 ]

@drHirudo

More updates:

I've bought BenQ EL2870UE 28" 4K HDR Monitor for better display.

After 3 days of contacts with Paypal and ebay back and forth I was able to pay the XFX Radeon Black Double D R9 280X 3GB DDR5 and it's coming.

Alinea seems to be out of stock of 2 GB modules. I said I can wait a week until they find them. Meanwhile, I found second hand cheap 2GB modules - https://www.olx.bg/ad/ram-pamet-za-nastolni-kompyutri-2gb-i-1gb-pc2-6400-CID632-ID7U09h.html for 5 € each piece, but I am not sure if they will work on AmigaOne X1000? Anybody knows if I can install these on X1000 and if they will work? I will buy 4.

corto 
Posted on 24-Apr-2020 13:56:48
#47 ]

@Hypex

Quote:

Hypex wrote:
@drHirudo

Quote:
That's why I purchased the module from Amiga retailer. It says in the item name 2 GB Ram for AmigaOne X1000, so it must be supported.

Quote:
Shall I remove the 1 GB module installed before, before placing the new 2 GB module?

Amigadave gives good advice here. It's best to have matching modules. And to have them closest to the CPU. If you only have one it's best to also put that closest to CPU. Left or right? I don't recall.

The slot 1 is on the right, so put it in this slot if you only have 1 stick.

If you have 2 sticks, they have to be similar.

@drHirudo
About your 1 GB memory stick, the reference in visible on the picture you sent initially: KVR800D2N6/1G

Quote:

But, while you are at, why not add four 2GB sticks! Max it out to 8GB and break the 32-bit barrier. Linux would surely make use of it and breathe essy. After all, money is no issue, when you own an X1000!

I have four 2 GB sticks (model KHX8500D2K2/4G) and:
- OS4 only uses 2 GB max and, be careful, I have crashes with the 4 slots populated. Raziel already reported that.
- Linux fails to boot here; I asked on Hyperion forum and xeno74 also has 4 x 2GB and that works for him. He suggested to use a recent kernel, I had no time to test yet.

So I go back to 4 GB.

I would recommend to not buy RAM if it won't be used. In the current state, it may be more unstable. Last, I had a crash in amigaboot with 6GB (that I understood and fixed) and a bug (same crashlog) was opened years ago about a crash with 5GB (I still don't understand this case).

Anyway, I you want to play with various configs, please provide feedback.

Last edited by corto on 24-Apr-2020 at 01:58 PM.

drHirudo 
Posted on 4-May-2020 20:51:11
#48 ]

@drHirudo

Some updates.

None of the Amiga goods that I've ordered arrived yet, but meanwhile 2 of the cables that I've bought came.

I've ordered over 14 different types of cables and converters with the hope to be able to record the Amigas output with the Blackmagic Decklink 4K.

Today arrived a "DVI-to-HDMI" cable and also "DVI-to-HDMI with 3.5 mm audio" cable and I did some tests.

Unfortunately it seems that the AmigaOne X1000 and the Blackmagic Decklink 4K frame grabber hate each other!

When I connect the X1000 to the Decklink, the Amiga when turned on goes to blanking cursor/black screen, but at least I was seeing something captured. After removing battery, unplugging PSU and power cables and trying to reboot again, I was getting same blinking cursor. I almost gave up, and just decided to try DVI to DVI cable to my old LG not full HD display and to my surprise the AmigaOne X1000 booted to AmigaOS 4.1 and no blinking cursors were seen.

But I still wanted to capture the Amiga so I connected the DVI to the Decklink, without rebooting the Amiga, but still no picture was shown. Seems the framegrabber, even if supporting huge variety of video inputs, didn't like any of the Amiga modes. But I continued to try and it turned out it recognized 640x480 screenmode and finally I saw grabbed picture from my Amiga. Then I created 1280x720 mode and it worked, and finally I created 1920x1080 mode and it worked as well. Even the framegrabber passthrough option worked and I was able to get picture from the Amiga on second screen. I didn't manage to get downscaling to work, and because the old monitor is not full HD, I had to stick to 720p, but it is still good. I even recorded a single video and the quality is more than satisfactory - here is the result if someone is interested - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLr7tqTKq3k

I have also tried recording sound but it turns out the "DVI-to-HDMI with 3.5 mm audio" cable doesn't convert the 3.5 mm to the DVI, so I have to connect the 3.5 mm audio jack on the other end to the line in of the computer, but not directly to the framegrabber, which means no passthrough of the sound. Additionally I can't record digital audio from the AmigaOne. Not a big issue though since the difference is hard to notice.

Now I am waiting for the 3.5 mm to XLR cable to arrive, so I can connect the Amiga output directly to the frame grabber. Or I can try with the 3.5 mm to Audio Cinch with BNC to Cinch converter or direct Line in to the computer. I will experiment. So many options to try.

ggw 
Posted on 6-May-2020 15:28:04
#49 ]

@drHirudo

Will continue to read about the tenacity with which you apply to getting what you want. Even keeping track of what you tried has got to be a challenge.

..effects of civilization upon...nature, the growing gap between what education was supposed to accomplish and what it consisted of, the national debt and...high taxes, the problem of the excess cost of medical care -- Philip Wylie, 1951

drHirudo 
Posted on 6-May-2020 16:37:43
#50 ]

@ggw

Thank you. I continue with my experiments and I am getting closer and closer to the best config. Progress happens all the time. I connected Line-In and now I can record sound. then I used Pass-through of Line-In signal and I now can even hear it in real time. Additionally I managed to get the downscaling option working and now I can preview the 1920x1080 resolution from my AmigaOne on the older 720p display, but it wasn't very crisp picture. Anyway I tried 4K but found out that the graphics card that is in the AmigaOne X1000 doesn't support such high resolutions. Fast search for Radeon HD5450 reveals Maximum resolution of 2560 x 1600 (using Dual-Link DVI) (close but not 3840x2160). I'll wait for the Sapphire graphics card to arrive, then I can try to record the AmigaOne X1000 in real UHD.

Additionally I experienced the superiority of AmigaOS 4.1 and AmigaOne X1000 over my Mac Mini G4 with MacOS 10.5, when I tried connecting the MacMini to the Decklink with 0 success. I installed some resolution switch/fixing software for Mac, because MacOS X 10.5 is changing the resolutions automatically when I remove the cable in order to insert the Decklink cable, driving me mad. After fixing the resolution and the refresh rate to 60 Hz it worked for some seconds on one of the displays, then it broke and now it is so bad, that I can't see the screen after the initial login interface. I tried booting MorphOS from USB drive, but I remember that MorphOS boots in some very obscure mode that my displays also don't support. So I boot to MorphOS, but can't see what happens, neither on the screens, nor on the Decklink. Last time when I was using MorphOS on this MacMini, I remember that I was able to switch the resolution to a supported one with some F or other key, but don't remember which key it was exactly.

Now my dilemma is shall I continue with MorphOS and try to fix the MacMini G4 or even get output to the Decklink from MorphOS or return to the AmigaOne X1000 entirely and forget all about this Mac/MacOS/MorphOS stuff?

So far the AmigaOne X1000 with some tricks works better. For example the Boot chime of AmigaOS 4.1 notifies me when I have to insert the DVI cable, without the need of trial and error.

ggw 
Posted on 8-May-2020 13:40:44
#51 ]

@drHirudo

Myself and others await your experience with the Sapphire card.

Quote:
After upgrading the hardware of the X1000 I plan to send it to computer shop for replacement of the cooling and fans, because right now the machine is much more nosier than my other bigger Fractal case machine and I prefer silent machines since my A1200 times.

Given the difficulty I had, and failed, in obtaining a quiet fan that fit the mounting holes and thickness for my X1000, if you do send your computer, case and all, to a "fix-it" shop, please let us know that the replacement you do get is quiet and the contact information for that shop.

..effects of civilization upon...nature, the growing gap between what education was supposed to accomplish and what it consisted of, the national debt and...high taxes, the problem of the excess cost of medical care -- Philip Wylie, 1951

drHirudo 
Posted on 12-May-2020 6:04:19
#52 ]

Update:

Today I got the shipment from Alinea. I also found 4x2 2GB DDR2 800 GOODRAM same modules and going to buy them today for the AmigaOne X1000 upgrade.

Will the memory modules work on AmigaOne X1000?

How shall I start testing them?

First installing only one 2 GB module and progressively adding 2nd, 3rd or 4th module? Or installing all 4 at once and if found instabilities, to remove one by one until the machine becomes stable again?

Before installing AmigaOS 4.1 final edition, I plan to backup my old install. Which is the best software to do a full back, with preserving all the protection bits and comments of the files? Shall I use imaging software, or just any archive utility like LHA or LZX do the job just as good?

mdr 
Posted on 12-May-2020 7:52:24
#53 ]

@drHirudo

Regarding backups, you might find this article I wrote useful:

https://www.markround.com/blog/2019/01/02/backups-on-the-amiga-x5000/

While the boot parameters and so on are X5000 -specific, the rest should be equally applicable. I wouldn't recommend lha/lzx as the versions I found couldn't create archives larger than 2GB. AmiDVD still seems to be working fine for me though.

drHirudo 
Posted on 13-May-2020 4:56:53
#54 ]

@mdr

Thanks for the hint. I backed up up my old System partition with AmiDVD and it was fast and turned to be very handy. I just mount the ISO file and can access all my old installs immediately, after I formatted the partition to install fresh AmigaOS 4.1 FE.

The first install didn't start very well, because I had again problem with screen modes. Then it almost turned out that AmigaOS 4.1 FE is downgrade for me, since the included RadeonHD driver is demo and doesn't support neither higher than 800x600 resolution, nor 1280x720. So after some trials and errors, I set my AmigaOS 4.1 FE install to not output any image at all or it was not recognized by any of the screens. So I quick-formatted the System again and reinstalled AmigaOS 4.1 FE from CD. Then I copied my old RadeonHD.chip file from my old AmigaOS 4.1 install to the fresh System:Kickstart directory, overwriting the newer file. Then after reboot I had the option to select 1920x1080 and now everything works fine, including composition.

I searched to buy downloadable Enchancer software pack, but I see they are all on DVD at the Amiga shops and I have wait another 2 weeks! just to be able to use higher resolutions, so instead of waiting, I am using the old RadeonHD driver now, which works fine, including composition. Here is a video that I created of my fresh AmigaOS 4.1 FE install - https://youtu.be/cy_Oy4HApMo

Next, after some fiddling with AmigaOS 4.1 is to install the 4x2 GB RAM modules. I plan to insert all them at once and then trying to fill the RAM drive with 7-8 GB of data, to see if they will work. During the installation I saw some messages about AmigaOS 4.1 FE going beyond the 2 GB limit, so I don't think of other way to test the extra memory on AmigaOne X1000.\

juMa 
Posted on 13-May-2020 6:28:21
#55 ]

@drHirudo

Downloadable version of enchancer is sold on amistore.

kadenaa 
Posted on 5-Jun-2020 7:50:15
#56 ]

It must be the season for old X1000 owners to fire up there machines. I did mine today ;) first time in 7+ years. Looks like the harddisk is failing/failed (not shocked by this). So I need to reinstall. Obviously I have not the faintest idea where any media is. I am assuming that I cannot buy a digital download of OS4 FE anywhere? I see you can for classic but I have found no such option for X1000/AmigaOne. Last parcel from Europe took over 2 months to reach Oz so if there is a download option I would love to know.

Thanks Kad.

nbache 
Posted on 5-Jun-2020 22:06:15
#57 ]

@kadenaa

If you registered your OS4 FE at Hyperion's site (and can remember your login details ), I believe you should be able to download a digital copy from there.

Best regards,

Niels

drHirudo 
Posted on 13-Jun-2020 17:54:47
#58 ]

Updates:

I've installed the 4x2 GB memory sticks on the AmigaOne X1000 and I see no stability issues since then (middle of May). There is no difference if I install one or the four 2 GB modules. Filling the RAM drive with more than 1.5 GB of files crashes AmigaOS, but this is no memory problem. I did long memtest of the memory and everything was reported okay. For now I am not able to use more than 2 GB of RAM, but hopefully this will change in the future.

Today I installed XFX Radeon Black Double D R9 280X 3GB DDR5 graphics card in the AmigaOne X1000 and removed the old card. Some new troubles arise and more workarounds are needed, which I am not sure if will solve if I upgrade the graphics driver? I still use the old one that came with the Amiga.

Issue No. 1 - Still no sound through HDMI. I continue to use 3.5 mm jack to 3.5 Line in. Today I received and 3.5 mm to XLR Male cable, but it turns out that the female in the Decklink is for Audio Out, not Audio In, so I've waited more than a month for a wrong cable. I ordered 3.5 mm to XLR Female stereo cable with the hope this time it is the correct one.

Issue No. 2 - I got used to turning off or removing the cable from the Decklink to be able to get correct output in 1080p60 from the Amiga. This doesn't work anymore with the New XFX 280X graphics card. I managed to get capture with the Decklink, but only if I reboot the Amiga with the HDMI connected to the BenQ monitor, then after AmigaOS loads, I can switch the cables to the Decklink and get grabbed output. If I reboot to the Decklink, I get freeze again with the flashing cursor. If I boot without monitor connected, I get wrong output from the Amiga that can't be fixed with connecting monitor or Decklink later.

Issue No.3 - Now I have 4K display mode from the AmigaOne X1000, but when I turn it on, the picture is not proper and it looks like badly scaled with missing pixels on the display.

Issue No.4 - I can't capture 4K to the Decklink, because I can't find the proper screen mode. I think 2160p60 shall be available, but it is not.

Still not sure if I buy the Enhancer Software pack with the new graphics driver inside, I will be able to directly select the modes of the graphics card and be able to output 4K properly and capture it with the framegrabber.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 13-Jun-2020 21:42:12
#59 ]
Elite Member

@drHirudo

No.4

So in screen mode prefs, you have monitor tab, where you can select “Detect Settings automatically”, if that does work, you can add modes. The same options are also available from the icon, in “devs:monitors/”

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 13-Jun-2020 at 09:42 PM.

Hypex 
Posted on 14-Jun-2020 7:22:18
#60 ]
Elite Member

@drHirudo

Quote:
To me it is strange that the Hama Uzanno wireless keyboard/mouse combo works fine, while the direct USB connection crashes! Last I remember the Amiga usually had troubles with Wireless devices, Bluetooth etc..

The Hama could present itself as a standard USB device and keep the wireless transfer between the keyboard and dongle. Thus why it would work. I've tested wireless mice with bluetooth dongles and have never got them to work in OS4. Unless I did something wrong. But I expected this kind of thing to just work since the OS shouldn't need any drivers.

The HP keyboard looks nice, low profile, with high keys. It must be doing something the USB driver doesn't like. Or doesn't expect. So these are connected to the keyboard usb port?

Another thing, how early does it crash? There is the boot keyboard driver. Then the full driver gets kicked later.

Quote:
Another strange event was that after I set up my YAM 2.7 installation to fetch e-mails from gmail with App password, it started downloading the oldest messages and placed them in SPAM. Probably I shall update my YAM client and re-configure it.

YAM is POP so will usually download everything and then delete it from the driver if you don't tell it otherwise. But is the SPAM a local folder? Unless you have set up a filter to move it that shouldn't happen.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle