Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 127 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  18 mins ago
 A1200:  1 hr 27 mins ago
 michalsc:  1 hr 31 mins ago
 OlafS25:  2 hrs 30 mins ago
 clint:  2 hrs 35 mins ago
 amigang:  3 hrs 45 mins ago
 Tpod:  4 hrs 25 mins ago
 pixie:  4 hrs 30 mins ago
 Birbo:  4 hrs 45 mins ago
 Hammer:  4 hrs 52 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  Open source POWER SoC in development
Register To Post

PosterThread
WolfToTheMoon 
Open source POWER SoC in development
Posted on 10-May-2020 21:52:14
#1 ]

https://libre-soc.org/3d_gpu/

Due to misagreement with RISC-V organisation, libre soc seems to be going to OpenPower. First silicon to be taped out late 2020. This will be a pretty basic multicore SoC , but fully open source and cheap.

March 2020 progress

Quote:
 OpenPOWER ISA decoder started.

Profile     Report this post  
NutsAboutAmiga 
Re: Open source POWER SoC in development
Posted on 10-May-2020 23:21:18
#2 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon

Some thing like a small raspberry alternative might be interesting. Ok to run OS4 and Linux on, but it needs to be a bit higher spec then this I’m afraid.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 11-May-2020 at 11:41 AM.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 11-May-2020 0:18:14
#3 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

Finished product should be made on a newer node and will run around 1 GHz. It will also have open source GPU on die. Perfect fit for OS4, if it gets made and if OS4 is still alive by then

Last edited by WolfToTheMoon on 11-May-2020 at 12:19 AM.
Last edited by WolfToTheMoon on 11-May-2020 at 12:19 AM.

amigadave 
Posted on 11-May-2020 3:28:20
#4 ]

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:

WolfToTheMoon wrote:
@NutsAboutAmiga

Finished product should be made on a newer node and will run around 1 GHz. It will also have open source GPU on die. Perfect fit for OS4, if it gets made and if OS4 is still alive by then

How about AROS for PPC (I'm not an AROS user, so I have no idea what state AROS for PPC is currently in)? I'm sure AROS, specially the version for PPC, needs lots of work, but at least it isn't in limbo, like AmigaOS4 appears to be at the moment (other than the fine work that A-Eon and their supported Developer Team are doing).

At least AROS and Amiga for 68k appears to have many times more users, than AmigaOS4 community seems to have. Maybe it's time to consider reinventing AROS for PPC to be more like AmigaOS4, but without the boat anchor of Hyperion holding it back, and without the restrictions of trying to be backward compatible with AmigaOS3.1? Let AROS for PPC/Open Power unleash its potential with memory protection and multi-core support, and just port UAE to it for backward compatibility with old Amiga software.

Just a thought!

Edit: Either way, the hardware project is interesting, and if it can be completed and an Open Power SoC comes out of it at a low price, it would be great if someone like A-Eon created a true low cost AmigaOne computer but the problem remains, who is going to port AmigaOS4 to such new hardware? We all know that it would be better to just port AmigaOS4 to the Raspberry Pi 4 and beyond, instead of creating custom hardware that cost hundreds, and sometimes thousands of dollars/pounds/euros.

Last edited by amigadave on 11-May-2020 at 03:33 AM.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 11-May-2020 9:36:34
#5 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

"backward compatible with AmigaOS3.1?"

but this way we use AmigaOS4.1

"(other than the fine work that A-Eon and their supported Developer Team are doing)."

Well now there ExecSG team working for Trever, so maybe,so maybe some is getting payed, and some one is working. I hopeful they implement scrum or some management tool keep a check on the progress.

I definitely think trevor needs to keep an eye on the ball, steven solie was more then keen to come up with all kinds of ideas. At AmiWest last time. I can easily see time being wasted on side projects.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 11-May-2020 at 09:46 AM.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 11-May-2020 11:25:29
#6 ]

@amigadave

Why the hell would you even work on AROS PPC?
The only OS this makes sense for is OS4. With the added condition that OS4 is even alive by the time this hits the market.

If those conditions are met, than this is absoloutely perfect for low price OS4 system and also a cheap PPC laptop.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 11-May-2020 11:43:46
#7 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon

If they make it pi-sized motherboard, with same connector, they just plug it into pi-top kit. And you have your PPC laptop.

https://no.rs-online.com/web/p/processor-microcontroller-development-kits/1469335?cm_mmc=NO-PLA-DS3A-_-google-_-CSS_NO_NO_Semiconductors-_-Semiconductor_Development_Kits%7CProcessor_And_Microcontroller_Development_Kits-_-PRODUCT_GROUP&matchtype=&pla-410498058944&gclid=CjwKCAjw7-P1BRA2EiwAXoPWAxEwgExm4xIRCJ4ud2iY91LZEGZuTKpbncoUfTfj-mtel4bWDuBDZBoCuxUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 11-May-2020 at 11:47 AM.

amigadave 
Posted on 11-May-2020 15:03:31
#8 ]

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:

WolfToTheMoon wrote:
@amigadave

Why the hell would you even work on AROS PPC?
The only OS this makes sense for is OS4. With the added condition that OS4 is even alive by the time this hits the market.

If those conditions are met, than this is absoloutely perfect for low price OS4 system and also a cheap PPC laptop.

No offense intended, it's just with the seeming unending litigation going on, and the utter failure of Hyperion to get anything useful done............................

I look at what is happening with the Vampire boards, and them supporting AROS because it has no ties to any company that can hold it back and figure why not do the same or better by making AROS for PPC better than AmigaOS4? Or better yet, start over. Maybe A-Eon is trying to stay as neutral as possible, so they can try to pick up the pieces, after the lawsuit is over (if it is ever over, as that is the only thing that Hyperion seems to know how to do), and move forward with who ever the winner is. Personally, I'm rooting for anyone who is NOT Hyperion, but I don't want to derail this thread any further, so just know that my suggestion of AROS for PPC was only about freedom from being tied to any company.

Just a thought, and nothing personal.

amigadave 
Posted on 11-May-2020 15:12:54
#9 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

I simply meant that UAE is so good now, why bother screwing up the OS to be backward compatible with 3.1 API. If most 68k Amiga programs and games are using RunInUAE on AmigaOS4.1 anyway, just use an unleashed, better Amiga like OS without the problems with memory protection and lack of multi-core support, and AROS is the only candidate that can "freely" be improved without asking anyone's permission, or being held back in any way (other than the lack of enough programmers).

I would have also suggested MorphOS, but it is moving on to x64 hardware, and I doubt very much that they are interested in porting to yet another PPC hardware.

pavlor 
Posted on 11-May-2020 17:05:31
#10 ]
Elite Member

@amigadave

Quote:
why bother screwing up the OS to be backward compatible with 3.1 API. If most 68k Amiga programs and games are using RunInUAE on AmigaOS4.1 anyway

Games for sure, but 68k applications I use work directly in OS4.

Improving any OS requires resources (money, developers), AROS is no exception.

Rob 
Posted on 11-May-2020 17:37:55
#11 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:

Who's going to need this in volumes required to result in a low price?

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 11-May-2020 18:42:29
#12 ]

@Rob

This is aimed at libre community of completely free and open source SW and HW. That's why they've gone to an open source ISA. If it's sufficiently cheap, I can see it selling well.

ppcamiga1 
Posted on 11-May-2020 18:59:17
#13 ]
Cult Member

Why AROS ppc?
For integration with old apps.
For real Amiga feeling.
AROS devs should do what Apple really do.
First made good reimplementation of Amiga gui and graphics.
Then port it to unix.
And after solving all problems on ppc slowly go for other platforms.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle