Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
15 crawler(s) on-line.
 122 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Karlos

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Karlos:  24 secs ago
 dreamlandfantasy:  8 mins ago
 amigakit:  37 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 14 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  1 hr 43 mins ago
 michalsc:  2 hrs 20 mins ago
 Ratta:  2 hrs 47 mins ago
 Dragster:  2 hrs 53 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 54 mins ago
 Matt3k:  3 hrs 12 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Am I the only person on AW to see the BillMcE Q&A as a positive
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
PosterThread
gary_c 
Re: Am I the only person on AW to see the BillMcE Q&A as a positive
Posted on 16-Sep-2006 13:39:29
#61 ]
Cult Member

@tonyw

Quote:
Naturally, the Genesi zombies will do all they can to keep pessimistic and "anti-" threads at the top of the front page.

I keep hoping we've grown past that kind of remark. I can't speak for others who don't feel optimisitic after reading Bill McEwen's statements, but as for myself, I respond how I see it, but I'm not going out of my way to "spin" my responses in a negative way for no good reason. And it's completely immaterial to me what is or is not on the front page of this site. My habit is to check the recent-posts page anyway for the longer list.

I don't see any "Genesi zombies" around; there are some people here who have a Pegasos, but nobody who's mindlessly pushing it or Genesi, as far as I can tell. God knows there have been problems and screwups on both sides, too many to let anyone with eyes and a brain feel comfortable being a corporate zombie.

Personally, I've always thought the Pegasos and AOS4 would be a good fit, and I like the idea of the Amiga companies getting on board with the rest of the PowerPC industry in Power.org for mutual benefit instead of being off in a self-absorbed backwater. I don't know how any of this equates to being "anti-" or pessimistic or zombie-like.

-- gary_c

Profile     Report this post  
herewegoagain 
Posted on 16-Sep-2006 13:54:55
#62 ]
Elite Member

@gary_c

Quote:
Personally, I've always thought the Pegasos and AOS4 would be a good fit, and I like the idea of the Amiga companies getting on board with the rest of the PowerPC industry in Power.org for mutual benefit instead of being off in a self-absorbed backwater. I don't know how any of this equates to being "anti-" or pessimistic or zombie-like.

I agree with you on that one. (Hey, mark the calendar... this is two posts in one week I agreed with you)

yoodoo2 
Posted on 16-Sep-2006 14:01:36
#63 ]

@Amigo1

Quote:
I vote you for president!

President pah! Everyone knows I want to be a benevolent dictator.

We ran 5 Recursion Computer Fairs before hitting the exit condition

Wayne 
Posted on 16-Sep-2006 14:10:12
#64 ]

@Colin_Camper

> This is also what Bill said

Actually, Bill quite clearly said that they are in discussions with three companies, Troika IS NOT ONE OF THEM.

*//

_ThEcRoW 
Posted on 16-Sep-2006 14:23:14
#65 ]
Cult Member

Just for information and a bit off-topic, why was helgis banned?

Mac Mini G4 1GB Ram with the butterfly!!

Colin_Camper 
Posted on 16-Sep-2006 14:32:21
#66 ]

@Wayne

Quote:
Actually, Bill quite clearly said that they are in discussions with three companies, Troika IS NOT ONE OF THEM

I stand corrected!

Samurai_Crow 
Posted on 16-Sep-2006 16:53:48
#67 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaBlitter

Quote:

AmigaBlitter wrote:
@gdg

Quoting OSnews article:

"Apparently they've been maintaining development of AmigaDE (AmigaOS 5.0), while developing AmigaOS 4 as a fall-back."

I posted that to OSNews before the clarification on Amiga.org that AOS 5 was NOT based on Tao Group's software.

T_Bone 
Posted on 16-Sep-2006 17:00:13
#68 ]
Elite Member

@Colin_Camper

Quote:

Colin_Camper wrote:
@quenthal

The Troika quote just says that they had discussions. This is also what Bill said.

Presumably Troika has been confident all along that their product will be licensed when it is ready to ship. It sounds like Bill cannot be so definite on this.

I suspect Troika is confident in Hyperions side of the story. If they had planned on getting an AmigaOne license, I don't know why they'd name the board something other than AmigaOne.

I betcha Hyperion has easier terms too.

I think the whole Q&A thing was BMcE marking territory.

_Steve_ 
Posted on 16-Sep-2006 17:05:12
#69 ]
Team Member

@_ThEcRoW

TOS violations having been repeatedly warned, and also whilst under a probationary period in which TOS violations were to carry a ban should they reoccur.

These are well documented in the threads they occurred in.

Darth_X 
Posted on 16-Sep-2006 17:11:37
#70 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

_ThEcRoW wrote:
Just for information and a bit off-topic, why was helgis banned?

Because he was the only normal sane person around here, like me

Anonymous 
Posted on 16-Sep-2006 17:37:30
# ]

@tonyw

Quote:
Nothing at all, and I didn't even suggest that. I merely suggested that a port of OS3.1 or even OS4 to a multi-platform HAL *could* be regarded as an early step towards the "run-anywhere" OS5. It could be described as "work done towards OS5".
No, it couldn't.

Quote:
But, of course, I am only guessing.
Just don't mistake an unrelated OS from Amiga Inc. ("OS5") with something like an AmigaOS version 5.x.

Report this post  
Colin_Camper 
Posted on 16-Sep-2006 18:33:53
#72 ]

@T_Bone

Quote:
I think the whole Q&A thing was BMcE marking territory.

Maybe! I found it strange that he knew about stuff (like Minimig) but not about the leaked contract. Maybe he only knew stuff that people actively contacted them about.

If he was just marking territory; What kind of Amiga.Inc dog do you prefer;

A dead one, lying in the gutter with flies buzzing

An asleep one, with one eye open

An awake one, calmly and benevolently surveying its world and playing with all the other dogs

A rabid - foaming at the mouth, one, biting anyone who comes to close to its' bone

Or is Bill a cool cat after all?

herewegoagain 
Posted on 16-Sep-2006 20:47:06
#73 ]
Elite Member

@joerg

Quote:

joerg wrote:

Quote:
But, of course, I am only guessing.
Just don't mistake an unrelated OS from Amiga Inc. ("OS5") with something like an AmigaOS version 5.x.

Maybe you should go and read the Hyperion Q&A. I'll just quote EntilZha:

Quote:
About OS5: No, I don't know anything. We have been contacted by Amiga some two months ago. They asked us if we would be willing to write the OS5 kernel for them...

So maybe everyone should get off of this "it's not Amiga related" kick when talking about OS5 from Amiga. I, for one, hope they do contract the Friedens to work with them on OS5.

tonyw 
Posted on 17-Sep-2006 2:52:32
#74 ]
Elite Member

@gary_c

Quote:

Gary, I find myself agreeing with your comments more frequently. Perhaps I am just getting older.

I too, would like to see OS4 running on "other" PPC hardware. However, I can't see it happening on the Peg, and those that re-state that it is "the only way forward" at every opportunity, are only adding fuel to the fire. Some of them are either too immature to realise that their mindless repetition is pointless and annoying, or else they are deliberately doing it to cause as much trouble as they can.

There are perhaps half a dozen such people here.

Hyperion Support Forum: http://forum.hyperion-entertainment.biz/index.php

Legion 
Posted on 17-Sep-2006 3:28:49
#75 ]
Cult Member

@gary_c

Quote:
I don't see any "Genesi zombies" around;

Well, there is that Takemehomegrandma fellow...

Quote:
Personally, I've always thought the Pegasos and AOS4 would be a good fit

Couldn't agree more. It's a crying shame that we can't run rid ourselves of the petulance and arrogance and puerile attitudes that prevents this from happening. Talk about frustrating.

Samwel 
Posted on 17-Sep-2006 5:44:51
#76 ]
Elite Member

@Herewegoagain

Quote:

So maybe everyone should get off of this "it's not Amiga related" kick when talking about OS5 from Amiga. I, for one, hope they do contract the Friedens to work with them on OS5.

Why should we?

If Amiga Inc has not been included in the development and planning of OS4 then how could
they call OS5 AmigaOS related?
If it exist it's simply a new OS done by Amiga Inc, thus fully "Amiga" related in their world.
But to us who want AmigaOS it's not anywhere related.
Btw joerg should know a little about this being one of the OS4 team.

IMHO it's not good if Amiga Inc "takes" OS4 from Hyperion and makes further updates to
it not possible due to it not competing with their OS5.

Also yes, Amiga Inc has asked two coders if they would be willing to code the OS5 kernel..So?
Why would this make a difference?

[SOLD] µA1-C - 750GX 800MHz - 512MB - Antec Aria case

herewegoagain 
Posted on 17-Sep-2006 13:40:06
#77 ]
Elite Member

@Samwel

Quote:
If Amiga Inc has not been included in the development and planning of OS4 then how could
they call OS5 AmigaOS related?

Well that's the silliest reasoning I've ever heard. By your definition, that means that OS4 is not AmigaOS related, because Hyperion had nothing to do with the development and planning of OS 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 2.XX, 3.X.

Do you see how crazy that sounds? They OWN the IP and source code to AmigaOS. I don't give a flip about what people percieve that Amiga Inc have done or not. In fact, did you know (before the Bill McEwen answers) that Amiga Inc had paid Hyperion money for the OS4 buy back, and for the porting of OS4 to the IBM PDA?? If not, how much more is there that you do not know? It's easy to pass judgement from your ivory tower, but things are not always black and white.

Quote:
Also yes, Amiga Inc has asked two coders if they would be willing to code the OS5 kernel..So?

Two coders?? Are you serious? You see the Friedens as just "two coders" of OS4. I know that's what they are in the litteral sense of the word, but seriously, do you think that writing the kernel and key parts of the OS make them just "two coders"?

Last edited by Herewegoagain on 17-Sep-2006 at 01:50 PM.
Last edited by Herewegoagain on 17-Sep-2006 at 01:46 PM.

polka. 
Posted on 17-Sep-2006 13:52:04
#78 ]

@Herewegoagain

Quote:
Well that's the silliest reasoning I've ever heard. By your definition, that means that OS4 is not AmigaOS related, because Hyperion had nothing to do with the development and planning of OS 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 2.XX, 3.X.

Hehe, good point.

Although I find this whole OS5-talk rather hilarious in a situation where even OS4 is not released yet, I really like the thought of a "multi-platform OS5" which is possibly (finally) including x86-support.

cgutjahr 
Posted on 17-Sep-2006 15:08:19
#79 ]
Cult Member

@Herewegoagain

Quote:

Do you see how crazy that sounds? They OWN the IP and source code to AmigaOS.

That's what *they* think, McEwen's recent comments suggest that Hyperion disagrees. Until the situation is resolved, I'd refrain from comments like "X OWNS Y".

Quote:

In fact, did you know (before the Bill McEwen answers) that Amiga Inc had paid Hyperion money for the OS4 buy back, and for the porting of OS4 to the IBM PDA??

Again: That's what McEwen said, we did not yet hear Hyperion's POV regarding this issue.

Quote:

Two coders?? Are you serious? You see the Friedens as just "two coders" of OS4. I know that's what they are in the litteral sense of the word, but seriously, do you think that writing the kernel and key parts of the OS make them just "two coders"?

Nobody's going to belittle the Frieden's efforts, but they can't write an OS on their own (they had plenty of help for OS4 - and look how long it took them ) You also seem to be ignoring that, according to the IRC log, there neither was a concrete offer, nor a definite response yet - Hans-Joerg even pointed out that he and his brother are "contractually bound to work for Hyperion".

And McEwen trying to hire the Friedens doesn't imply that the end result will be Amiga OS in any way. There are plenty of reason for hiring the Friedens (e.g. they're clever and apparently they're not too expensive, after all even Hyperion can afford to pay them).

But the one thing I really don't get is this: It's 12 years now that Commdore went down. We've been lied to a thousand times, we witnessed dozens of projects die due to incompetence or greed, deadlines got missed more often than most of us (the male ones) change their underwear. But now there's a product. It might have plenty of rough edges left, it's somewhat hard to get right now and it will not push Microsoft out of the market tomorrow - but it exists. It works, people are using it, people are releasing software for it and it's definitely "100% Amiga".

Why would anybody want to waste time thinking or dreaming about "OS5", which might be just as real as "AmigaDE", "On schedule and rocking", "we've not been thrown out of our offices" or "we're just selling unused office equipment"?

Are you a masochist?

Anonymous 
Posted on 17-Sep-2006 15:43:18
# ]

@Herewegoagain

Quote:

Do you see how crazy that sounds?
The old versions of AmigaOS were completed before AmigaOS4 was started, everyone working on AmigaOS4 knew how the previous versions worked and had access to the old sources. Since the goal of AmigaOS4 was to create a compatible, but PPC native, update of AmigaOS 3.x the AmigaOS4 developers didn't have to be involved in the development of older versions of AmigaOS but only had to know how the old versions worked.
For something like Amiga Inc.'s "OS5" (at least the "OS5" which was planned 2-3 years ago, maybe there isn't enough public information to know what it is exactely, but there is more than enough to know what it can't be) that's not required, though, the developers of "OS5" don't need to know anything about AmigaOS at all.

Quote:
They OWN the IP and source code to AmigaOS.
Of some parts of AmigaOS (all of AmigaOS only up to version 3.1), but they don't own some important parts of AmigaOS4, and they don't have nor can get, at least not from Hyperion or any "buyback" option, any rights of some other less important parts and contributions of AmigaOS4.

If you believe everything Bill "On Schedule and Rockin'" McEwen writes but nothing from Rogue for example you are of course free to continue to imagine Amiga Inc.'s "OS5" would be an AmigaOS version 5.x, but don't be surprised when you find out what it actually is (if it exists at all).

Report this post  
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle